Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Lawyers going after fast food...
Closed Thread

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:38 AM #26 of 87
Originally Posted by RacinReaver
I don't know how you cook, but I don't know if any meal I've ever made for myself has been more expensive than $5 a plate. Not to mention I probably save time by cooking my own food over going out to buy it pre-made. I spend, maybe, an hour every third day cooking a meal for myself that makes enough leftovers to eat for lunch and dinner for a few days. It takes me at least ten to fifteen minutes in walking time alone to get to food for each meal.
Like Alice and Devo have already noted, when you're cooking for more than two people, it gets expensive. Especially if you're planning on doing something notably healthy (fresh veggies alone these days get expensive) or extravagant.

But last night, I made chili for 3 people for about $4.50 a plate. Thats because, you know, its mostly all canned shit where brands don't matter.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Unas
Syklis Green

Member 11611

Level 8.84

Aug 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:55 AM Local time: Aug 30, 2006, 02:55 PM #27 of 87
Originally Posted by Sassafrass
But last night, I made chili for 3 people for about $4.50 a plate. Thats because, you know, its mostly all canned shit where brands don't matter.
Wouldn't that be as bad as fast food though? I don't mean from the view of hygiene obviously but as in canned foods like that would have a fair amount of crap in them aswell y'know?

Most amazing jew boots
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:20 AM #28 of 87
Originally Posted by Unas
Wouldn't that be as bad as fast food though? I don't mean from the view of hygiene obviously but as in canned foods like that would have a fair amount of crap in them aswell y'know?
Canned corn, canned tomato paste, canned kidney beans....not that I see, no? Maybe a little extra shit, but nothing compared to a $4.50 menu meal at Burger King, right?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
brenden3010
Wark!

Member 1300

Level 2.12

Mar 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:51 AM #29 of 87
Sass, did you buy the highest quality tomato paste? or the grocery store brand? Get all generic brands.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:53 AM #30 of 87
Originally Posted by brenden3010
Sass, did you buy the highest quality tomato paste? or the grocery store brand? Get all generic brands.
The hell. It's tomato paste, dude. The price range doesn't VARY too much.

Unless you're implying generic is like, more healthy or some shit. In which case, I would be tempted to argue with you on the principle in general.

Most amazing jew boots
brenden3010
Wark!

Member 1300

Level 2.12

Mar 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:03 PM #31 of 87
Dont jump to conclusions so fast. No, im implying buy the cheapest shit you can find for all of that if your going to compare it to fast food. You say a .50 cents here or there isnt a big deal, but it adds up fast.

FELIPE NO
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:17 PM #32 of 87
Dont jump to conclusions so fast. No, im implying buy the cheapest shit you can find for all of that if your going to compare it to fast food. You say a .50 cents here or there isnt a big deal, but it adds up fast.
Dude. What the fuck are you on about.

$4.50 a plate compares fucking fine with a $5 value meal. I don't NEED to go cheaper. Not to mention that it HARDLY MATTERS in the scheme of this thread.

Fact of the matter is that you can cook for cheaper than fast food, but it takes more effort.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:35 PM #33 of 87
I would simply like healthy alternatives on all fast food places' dollar menus.

Since I started on a diet 3 months ago, I studied all the major fast food nutritional charts. Yup, I pretty much couldn't eat anything on the McDonald's or Burger King menu. HOWEVER, Wendy's and Taco Bell had good options.

Wendy's had small chili (good protein, low cal, low fat), side salad with fat free dressing (veggies, low cal, no fat).
Taco Bell had "fresco style" versions of their chicken/steak soft tacos and hard tacos (good protein, low cal, low fat).

That's about all I can eat from fast food, though (and the taco bell one isn't as cheap as I'd like since the chicken and steak are 1.69 each as opposed to the "BIG BELL VALUE MENU" which has a 1/2 pound fatty burrito for a buck).

I just want to be able to eat at McDonald's or Burger King again for cheap (and healthy).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Koneko
Procrastinating Artist Extraordinaire

Member 1046

Level 9.94

Mar 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 01:35 PM Local time: Aug 30, 2006, 11:35 AM #34 of 87
I honestly wasn't going to post since everyone's making good arguements against the original poster but this news post was too good to pass up. Addiction maybe?

Quote:
Man breaks into McDonald's to cook, eat burgers

Associated Press
Aug. 30, 2006 08:15 AM

LAKE HAVASU CITY - Lake Havasu City police are looking for a real-life Hamburglar.

A man broke into a McDonald's early Sunday morning through a roof vent.

Surveillance video shows the man turning on the grill, cooking and eating a couple of burgers before fleeing.

When he fled, the burger bandit triggered a door alarm that a morning shift manager heard when she pulled into work nearly two hours later.

She found a piece of drywall on the kitchen floor, and another employee noticed the grill was greasy.

Damage to the McDonald's is estimated at $150.
Although on the matter of eating out VS eating at home. I admit my husband and I cant really afford to have nice home cooked meals. We tend to eat out or just have really cheap-prepackaged stuff because we can't afford any better. I guess working at Subway is a slightly better alternative to McDonalds or Burger King, but those subs are tricky as fries. That "6 grams of fat" deal only counts if you dont get cheese or any condiments (aside from sweet onion sauce or mustard)

"I reject your reality and subsitute my own!"

Last edited by Koneko; Aug 30, 2006 at 01:38 PM.
PattyNBK
255% Bitch, 78% Slut

Member 1397

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:37 PM #35 of 87
You guys spend over $20 making a home-cooked meal for two people? WTF is that all about? There's three people living in my house, and altogether, a home-cooked meal can feed all three of us for like $10-$15 easily. Except for McDonald's, fast food is usually more expensive, especially Wendy's and Dairy Queen (where it costs us about $20-$25 total for all three of us to eat). So I dunno where you guys are getting your food or how much you're eating, but it's a bit too much I'd say! RacinReaver is absolutely right on this, it would never be more than $5/plate, if that, and it takes far less time (given how long it takes to drive and wait in the drive-thru). Oh, and let's not forget to factor in the cost of gas because President Bonehead is too damn busy funding his ridiculous war to put more money into investigating alternative fuel sources; imagine the advances we're missing out on because all that money is getting wasted. So yeah, by the time you factor in gas and driving and waiting, fast food takes longer and is more expensive, just as RacinReaver said. If you're spending so much on home-cooked meals, they must be pretty damn big meals.

Oh, and Sass, you say stupidity is picked on around here, but from the looks of it, it's the other way around. From the looks of it, stupidity is encouraged while thinking for yourself and intelligence are picked on.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Why are you arguing with WoW players? It's pronounced "Shut the fuck up and get a job. Raiding isn't a job." - Lukage

Last edited by PattyNBK; Aug 30, 2006 at 03:39 PM.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 03:48 PM #36 of 87
Man, you sound just like my dad, who will go out of his way if he knows another store is selling the same bargain-bin stuff for 10 cents cheaper. Back in the day, he had a mental map of every place within five miles that was selling Pepsi for 79 cents a 2L. And no, before you ask; it never made a whit of difference.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by PattyNBK
You guys spend over $20 making a home-cooked meal for two people? WTF is that all about? There's three people living in my house, and altogether, a home-cooked meal can feed all three of us for like $10-$15 easily. Except for McDonald's, fast food is usually more expensive, especially Wendy's and Dairy Queen (where it costs us about $20-$25 total for all three of us to eat).
One wonders why you choose this route so frequently then.

Quote:
Oh, and let's not forget to factor in the cost of gas because President Bonehead is too damn busy funding his ridiculous war to put more money into investigating alternative fuel sources; imagine the advances we're missing out on because all that money is getting wasted.

[...]

Oh, and Sass, you say stupidity is picked on around here, but from the looks of it, it's the other way around. From the looks of it, stupidity is encouraged while thinking for yourself and intelligence are picked on.

Last edited by Sarag; Aug 30, 2006 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Unas
Syklis Green

Member 11611

Level 8.84

Aug 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:33 PM Local time: Aug 30, 2006, 11:33 PM #37 of 87
Fact of the matter is that you can cook for cheaper than fast food, but it takes more effort.
Nothing more needs to be said, thats hit the nail on the head, people are just bloody lazy. That or people are too busy to wait on food

Quote:
A man broke into a McDonald's early Sunday morning through a roof vent.

Surveillance video shows the man turning on the grill, cooking and eating a couple of burgers before fleeing.
That guy just seems like more of a looper than anything else, I reckon if he was that addicted he'd probably be quite sizeable but still managed to slide through a roof vent?

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:38 PM #38 of 87
Originally Posted by Unas
Nothing more needs to be said, thats hit the nail on the head, people are just bloody lazy. That or people are too busy to wait on food
Yea, sure, but like Devo (again) proved, its not ALWAYS cheaper. Eating out of cans is nice and convenient when you're short on time and you have mouths to feed. But like Devo, my tally for tonight's dinner was around $30 for 3 of us.

It's not that people are lazy alone. It's that while dinner CAN be prepared for cheaper, they aren't ALWAYS cheaper. Laziness has a hand in it, but not as much as cost.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Unas
Syklis Green

Member 11611

Level 8.84

Aug 2006

Old Aug 31, 2006, 06:05 AM Local time: Aug 31, 2006, 12:05 PM #39 of 87
It's not that people are lazy alone. It's that while dinner CAN be prepared for cheaper, they aren't ALWAYS cheaper. Laziness has a hand in it, but not as much as cost.
I guess that sounds about right yeah

As for people attempting to sue fast food outlets, that drives me mad, they knew what they we're doing to themselves, fast food is nice but if people are too stupid to know when to stop its them who should be held accountable right?

I mean to this day I still cant believe that cigarette companies are being sued by people who used it before warnings were displayed. they inhaled smoke into their lungs ffs there's no need for a damn warning. I hate cigarette companies but for gods sake its like saying people had no brains back then!

Expect a warning on fast food over the next year or so, beside the warning that there may be traces of nut...

FELIPE NO
PattyNBK
255% Bitch, 78% Slut

Member 1397

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:39 AM #40 of 87
Do you eat these steak dinners every night? I sure as Hell don't eat steak every night. So sure, occasionally it will cost more, when you have a bigger dinner like that, but not most of the time.

Take my dinner tonight, for instance. I simply had a Healthy Choice frozen dinner. Has decent nutrition, faster to fix than fast food could ever be, and really pretty cheap for an entire dinner.

I might eat more lavishly maybe once a week. Like I said, I don't freaking stuff myself. It's called self-control. It's also called moderation. Fast food companies aren't to blame for people getting fat, people eating too much are to blame!

Why are you arguing with WoW players? It's pronounced "Shut the fuck up and get a job. Raiding isn't a job." - Lukage
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 01:05 AM Local time: Aug 31, 2006, 10:05 PM #41 of 87
Fast food companies aren't to blame for people getting fat, people eating too much are to blame!
Discovery of the decade.

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:56 AM #42 of 87
wait

You guys spend over $20 making a home-cooked meal for two people? WTF is that all about? There's three people living in my house, and altogether, a home-cooked meal can feed all three of us for like $10-$15 easily.

[...]Do you eat these steak dinners every night? I sure as Hell don't eat steak every night. So sure, occasionally it will cost more, when you have a bigger dinner like that, but not most of the time.

Take my dinner tonight, for instance. I simply had a Healthy Choice frozen dinner.
you think frozen meals are home cooking

what.

so like, does a larger dinner for you mean a Hungry Man meal? Maybe a seperate side dish of frozen veggies?

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 03:02 PM #43 of 87
Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, and SmartOnes (bleh) are a lot healthier than normal TV dinners. Plus, they're cheap if you get them in bulk. It's silly to compare to Hungry Man, which is packed with sodium and fat.

I lost most of my weight due to a diet that included a lot of Lean Cuisine meals.

How ya doing, buddy?
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 03:37 PM Local time: Sep 1, 2006, 12:37 PM #44 of 87
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, and SmartOnes (bleh) are a lot healthier than normal TV dinners. Plus, they're cheap if you get them in bulk. It's silly to compare to Hungry Man, which is packed with sodium and fat.

I lost most of my weight due to a diet that included a lot of Lean Cuisine meals.
I think lurker was focusing more on the fact that Patty had said she had home cooking a few times a week, then mentioned frozen meals.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 08:14 PM #45 of 87
^ Yeah, basically. It's like saying you eat healthy when you buy a McSalad every day, or that when you say you're exercising every day, it's from taking a flight of stairs up to your classroom. Just doesn't quite ring true.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:49 PM Local time: Sep 1, 2006, 09:49 PM #46 of 87
Originally Posted by Devo
Something tells me a lot of you don't cook meals with good meat and fresh veggies. Cause I can assure you it's more expensive than a fast food meal.

Here' what my mom is cooking tonight for 5:

Steaks that are 8.49 per lb, the package is about $13
Half a 5 pound back of potatoes, about $4 in value
2 lbs of zuccini, about $3 in value

So for one meal my mom has spent $20, if we went to say McDonalds we could get several items off the dollar menu including burgers and fries. Tally that up at it's $10, half as much.

My mom's cooking is definitely more healthy, we get protein/starch/veggies without eating a lot of preservatives, cow eyeballs (or whatever shit parts are in their burgers) and grease.
You're comparing steak to hamburgers. While in Irvine, I was able to buy 85% lean hamburger for $1.00 a pound when I bought it in 3lb bulk packages. I could make four quarter pound patties for $1, how many can you buy at McDonald's for that? I also just bought 5 pounds of potatoes for $2.50 today, not on sale, so I don't know why you're spending that much on them.

You should do a more fair comparison. How many steak dinners could you get at a restaurant for the $20 your mom paid?

You also need to remember you're cooking for yourself. When you start cooking for a family, it actually becomes to cheaper to order everyone something off say the dollar menu.
And I still don't understand this. It doesn't matter if I'm cooking for myself or my family, the cost per plate is still the same; well under $5 each. Usually the cost per plate goes down since I eat more in one sitting than most other people. The only thing that sucks about cooking for a family is there's fewer leftovers.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by RacinReaver; Sep 1, 2006 at 11:51 PM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:30 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2006, 08:30 AM #47 of 87
My mom bought some organic stuff actually since those are even more healthy than stuff pumped with hormones or sprayed with chemicals.
Even still, you're not making a fair comparison. You're comparing canned tuna to caviar. You need to either compare how much it'll cost you to make burgers and fries at home or how expensive it would be for everyone in your family to go out and have steak dinners with potatoes and a side of zuccini.

Quote:
If you're cooking for yourself you buy less and can use up whatever servings you don't eat. I dunno about you but not everyone in my family eats the same amount of servings, so the cost per plate doesn't necessarily go down or stay the same.
How does economies of scale somehow get cheaper for when you're buying fast food but not when you're cooking your own food? If someone eats a larger plate of food normally, wouldn't they tend to eat more fast food which would be more expensive?

Say I make a casserole, $2 for cheese, $3 for meat, $1 for pasta, a few cents for an onion, a few cents for spices, a few cents for maybe some celery or peppers. Now, this feeds me for at least six meals. Let's say I make it for my family instead (which I've done a few times while at home). I eat more than my mom and about the same as my dad. It usually works out so my dad and I get two meals out of it and my mom will get three. Sure, it gets more expensive to feed everyone compared to if I was eating alone, but I'm also feeding three times as many people so you should expect it to get roughly three times more expensive (as you should expect the same thing at a fast food place).

The only style of eating out where I can't see what I've been saying is true is with Chinese takeout since you get so much food one person can never eat all of it before it goes bad and they wind up throwing some of it out.

FELIPE NO
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 09:23 PM Local time: Sep 2, 2006, 07:23 PM #48 of 87
If you're just eating a big mac, you could easily make a slightly more healthy burger at home on your own. I paid $1 for a pound of beef at Irvine, so let's say I use a quarter pound, that's $0.25. Then there's the bun, I buy the cheap ones that are $0.75 for eight, so $0.10 for the bun. I personally only like ketchup and cheese on my burger, so maybe another $0.20. If you like other toppings on your burger, they're only a few cents each anyway.

You do realize that McDonald's isn't losing money on these dollar menu items, right? In order for them to turn a profit on them, they need to be able to sell them for more than they're paying, and since they're using less-than-grocery-store-quality ingredients usually, you're getting a better meal for at most the same amount of money.

Also, if you want to actually make fast food a decent deal, you stay away from the combos and only eat the main menu item and get water. Sodas and fries are just empty calories and $2 you don't need to spend.

My point was it's expensive to eat healthy, so it's much easier to eat crap that doesn't cost as much for the average lazy and or unmotivated person.
So in order to eat healthy one has to eat steak and organic vegetables (which, if you're actually concerned enough to buy those kinds of veggies, you'll get a much better deal at farmers' markets than what you see in a supermarket)?

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 09:48 PM #49 of 87
The reason why people buy fast food is because it's a combination of cheap and fast. If you want any variety at all in your diet, you'll be paying a lot more at McDonalds than you would be comparatively at the supermarket.

PattyNBK
255% Bitch, 78% Slut

Member 1397

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 01:51 AM #50 of 87
Originally Posted by a lurker
you think frozen meals are home cooking
Um, yes.

Cooked At Home = Home Cooking

You may have a different definition, but I'm usually a literal kind of person.

Originally Posted by a lurker
The reason why people buy fast food is because it's a combination of cheap and fast. If you want any variety at all in your diet, you'll be paying a lot more at McDonalds than you would be comparatively at the supermarket.
You're missing the point. It's usually both slower and more expensive, once you break it all down. Fast food isn't necessarily about being fast, that's a misnomer on their part. Yes, it's fast once you're there, but that doesn't factor in the driving time. No, fast food is about convenience. People are just too lazy.

As for my Healthy Choice dinners, they are good for you. This was already mentioned by other people, so I need not elaborate. I don't eat frozen dinners every night, though, I was just describing what I had that night.

RacinReaver is absolutely right about cost and such. Oh, and I'd like to add that eating healthy and being a health nut are two different things. You act as if McDonald's food is completely devoid of nutrition, and that simply is not true. It's not as healthy as meals you prepare personally, but they aren't killer. That's why comparing fast food companies to cigarette companies, like these lawyers are trying to do, is ignorant, dishonest, and irresponsible.

Like has been stated several times, you can eat well enough at a fast food restaurant by cutting out the empty calories from garbage such a fries; news flash here, fries are unhealthy period, whether you buy them at a fast food restaurant or cook them at home in a Fry Daddy. Basically, it's like I said all along, it's about moderation. When I eat at McDonald's, I get just a Double Cheeseburger, that's it. I'm not a heavy eater, so that helps me keep the calories down. I intake a lot of protein and I love cheeseburgers and any other meaty item (including steaks), but I also work out heavily and drink protein shakes, as well as using creatine. So by getting up and working on myself, I stay in shape. If I can do it, anyone can, save for those with like those genetic gland problems that can cause severe weight gain; even then, it's not the fault of fast food companies if they get fat, it's because of their body chemistry.

The bottom line that I'm trying to get across here is that people need to stop laying out blame and take responsibility for their own actions, plain and simple!

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > Lawyers going after fast food...