Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Windows 7, OS X, filesystems and compatibility

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 20, 2009, 11:47 AM Local time: May 20, 2009, 04:47 PM #1 of 4
Windows 7, OS X, filesystems and compatibility

I have on my Macbook's hard drive a 120GB OS X 10.5.7 partition in HFS+ and a 32GB XP SP3 partition in FAT32. I'm planning on wiping my XP partition and installing the Windows 7 RC sometime in the next week.

I've got a few questions:

- I'm aware that I can't officially write to NTFS drives from OS X. However, one of my requirements is being able to easily move files between Leopard and Windows. Are there any solutions for writing to NTFS-formatted volumes from within OS X?

- On my current FAT32-formatted XP partition, I'm unable to even view my HFS+ OS X partition, let alone write to it. Are there any solutions that'd let me view and write to my HFS+ volume from FAT32? How about NTFS? If these workarounds exist, are they compatible with Windows 7?

- Would it be possible for me to non-destructively repartition my HDD after installing Windows 7 on the NTFS partition? (This query is far more hypothetical in nature; it's unlikely I'd be displeased with the distribution of space.)

- Is it at all possible to install Windows on an HFS+ formatted volume? Are there any drivers for this? e: Never mind, I now know this part's not possible.

tl;dr version: I want to be able write to an NTFS Windows 7 partition from OS X. I also want to be able to write to my HFS+ OS X partition from Windows. How feasible is this?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old May 23, 2009, 07:45 PM Local time: May 23, 2009, 07:45 PM 1 #2 of 4
Here's something for your first NTFS in OS X request - NTFS-3G for Mac OS X which lets you load NTFS file systems with read/write capability.

For the HFS+ systems within Windows XP, you could try out http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html which is a free application somebody wrote because they had the same annoyance. No claims of credibility since I don't run OS X.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 25, 2009, 12:16 PM Local time: May 25, 2009, 05:16 PM #3 of 4
Excellent. That'll do very nicely. The first app works fine with my old NTFS external drive. Haven't tested the second yet; I'll report back as soon as I manage to install Windows.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 26, 2009, 06:47 PM Local time: May 26, 2009, 11:47 PM #4 of 4
Update: After much clothes-renting and teeth-gnashing, I've got Win 7 installed, and I'm downloading the Snow Leopard BC drivers right now - which apparently circumvents the need for Macdrive, as it comes with HFS+ read/write capability. Woo!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Windows 7, OS X, filesystems and compatibility