Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] "The Walking Dead" -- Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Series on AMC

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:40 AM Local time: Aug 26, 2010, 04:40 AM #1 of 13
"The Walking Dead" -- Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Series on AMC

Originally Posted by Denicalis
MAKE A FUCKING THREAD.
So yeah, AMC is getting tons of fucking awesome shows. As if Breaking Bad & Mad Men weren't enough, they're now getting The Walking Dead (trailer included in link).

Based on a comic book series, the series is about a police officer who gets wounded in the line of duty. He apparently ends up in a coma, and wakes up once the world has been torn apart by some sort of zombie apocalypse (rumored on the trailer to be caused by a virus). Some folks may get a 28 Days Later vibe from this opening, but 28 Days Later actually borrowed this from the Walking Dead's comic itself. You might say "uh a zombie series on TV? Going to suck being low on violence and all". Well, AMC apparently told the awesome creators that they don't care about how much gore there is, just as long as cursing is kept under control. o FCC u.

I could ramble on, but the trailer in the link will do it more justice than I could ever put in to words :V 90 minute premiere on Halloween, so set up your DVR or something if you plan on heading out.
YouTube Video
MAKE A FUCKING THREAD.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Aug 26, 2010 at 05:08 AM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:59 AM Local time: Aug 26, 2010, 03:59 AM #2 of 13
Thank you, Gech. Welcome to the boards. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I, for one, am looking forward to this, albeit with a little hesitation. The comic is really on and off for me, but as you said, AMC has had some good stuff lately. Here's hoping this turns out well.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:07 AM Local time: Aug 26, 2010, 05:07 AM #3 of 13
actually I'm just here for an FFVII soundtrack can you help me out

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:28 AM Local time: Aug 26, 2010, 04:28 AM 1 #4 of 13
y is ur img a dick?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:38 PM #5 of 13
Everyone I've tried to get into the comic hates it because it's too violent. Iwata bitched about it when I made him read it a couple years ago too.

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:03 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2010, 05:03 PM #6 of 13
My issue is how far off rails it goes from time to time. Suddenly African ninja girl. Suddenly completely unnecessary rape sequence. Suddenly etc.

I think ideas run out, he panics, and just throws cliches on paper. But then other times, really solid writing.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

NewNick
Useless Prole

Member 36279

Level 3.93

Aug 2010

Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:44 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2010, 05:44 PM #7 of 13
My issue is how far off rails it goes from time to time. Suddenly African ninja girl. Suddenly completely unnecessary rape sequence. Suddenly etc.

I think ideas run out, he panics, and just throws cliches on paper. But then other times, really solid writing.
I really like Michonne as a character and from where I left off (Volume 6, I believe) it seemed like she was written in far before hand to eventually play a very important role that she's finally slipping into. She hardly seems off-track (if this is what you meant by off-rails) from the main story. The rape scene felt like an important exposition for her character. Which would make sense, if she's to be poised as an key supporting character, no?

FELIPE NO
The fun has arrived! Wakka-wakka!
Randi
You may be a sinner but your innocence is mine

Member 33495

Level 7.28

Apr 2009

Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:18 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2010, 05:18 PM #8 of 13
I've never read the comic so I can't comment on the story, but I can't say that I'm particularly convinced that this is going to be even a decent show. I'm guessing it's going to suck and get cancelled within the first 10 episodes, or after the first season because of the lack of content they're going to be able to actually show due to the FCC.

Sure they say they don't care about gore right now, but I guarantee they're going to care and it's going to hold back a show like this. I can't imagine 28 days later being PG-13.

Most amazing jew boots
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:43 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2010, 07:43 PM #9 of 13
NewJack, I don't mean that it's forced within the confines of the narrative, more of it seems that the narrative itself is pretty forced. The problem isn't that she's built up adequately or not, it's whether the whole concept of her arc seems forced.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

NewNick
Useless Prole

Member 36279

Level 3.93

Aug 2010

Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:17 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2010, 07:17 PM #10 of 13
I've never read the comic so I can't comment on the story, but I can't say that I'm particularly convinced that this is going to be even a decent show. I'm guessing it's going to suck and get cancelled within the first 10 episodes, or after the first season because of the lack of content they're going to be able to actually show due to the FCC.

Sure they say they don't care about gore right now, but I guarantee they're going to care and it's going to hold back a show like this. I can't imagine 28 days later being PG-13.
Actually, I have a hard time seeing this series remaining brutally gory for very long either. What's nice though is beyond the first season, gradually pulling back on the violence shouldn't be very detrimental, as the story itself should do it's job just nicely to keep viewers' attention.

Probably it'll be toned down for a while and they'll have a major scene once or twice a season where they'll highlight the gore of a character's death.

NewJack, I don't mean that it's forced within the confines of the narrative, more of it seems that the narrative itself is pretty forced. The problem isn't that she's built up adequately or not, it's whether the whole concept of her arc seems forced.
Oh. Well, agree to disagree, then?

Additional Spam:
And would you prefer it if my name were NewJack? What's with that?

How ya doing, buddy?
The fun has arrived! Wakka-wakka!

Last edited by NewNick; Aug 26, 2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:22 PM #11 of 13
I'm willing to give AMC the benefit of the doubt on gore. Breaking Bad had that pretty nasty part in season 1 with a bathtub full of melting human remains falling through the ceiling, and you don't need much more than that to make a good zombie apocalypse.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:30 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2010, 08:30 PM #12 of 13
And would you prefer it if my name were NewJack? What's with that?
New Jack is archaic slang for anyone new and unknown.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Kyndig
Syklis Green

Member 2709

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2010, 09:06 PM #13 of 13
I think that with some good writing it will be possible to maintain the same level of emotional tension without the same level of graphicness(notaword). Not that it really matters since I probably won't watch it. The comics are good enough for me.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] "The Walking Dead" -- Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Series on AMC