Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Saki - Mahjong, school, and boobs

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:58 PM #1 of 3
Saki - Mahjong, school, and boobs

Saki

Saki is an anime that is primarily about Mahjong (Japan-style rules, of course).
It actually has a little bit of everything, with typical themes of school life, yuri, exaggerated dramatic effects, and of course, fanservice.
~

Saki Miyanaga is a girl that has always aimed to get a score of +-0 whenever she played Mahjong, since either winning or losing would end up being disadvantageous for her, due to family reasons. This changes after she is dragged off to the school's Mahjong club by her childhood friend. Here she meets Nodoka, a mysteriously well-endowed player that competes at the national level. The club president as well as the other club members quickly realize Saki's superhuman luck and skill after several rounds of Mahjong. From here on out, Saki is faced with many obstacles in her Mahjong-playing future which is bound to be full of excitement!

Oh no! Riichi means that someone's going to probably.....win!

Of course, Saki is ripe with grossly exaggerated moments such as these. Then again, no anime about a game would be complete without being this over-the-top.

You got some magical girl in my Mahjong! More symbolism and pretty lights.

There are some emotional moments as well as the obligatory fanservice shots, you pervs:
Spoiler:

If you're worried about not understanding what the heck is going on, you actually don't have to, as all the visuals convey the emotions appropriately. In other words, despite being a Mahjong anime, you can get by with zero knowledge of Mahjong since it's so much more than just that. As well, you can always stop to read the notes on what certain hands are worth, or better yet, take an interest in Mahjong!

Some people might be turned off from a Mahjong anime thinking about Akagi from a couple of years back. Saki's presentation is almost the polar opposite to Akagi's unique look, replacing rough lines and pointy noses with stock schoolgirl characters and colourful visuals. In addition, whereas Akagi cheats his way throughout all the episodes, Saki is just lucky and skilled.

While it still may not be for every one, you can't deny that it's a unique blend of elements, so just give it a shot!

Basic Terms:
Chi = Straight (eg. 1, 2, 3)
Pon = 3 of a kind
Kan = 4 of a kind
Ten Pai = State of being 1 tile away from victory
Ron = Win off of a player's discard
Tsumo = Win by self-draw

Most amazing jew boots
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:30 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2009, 09:30 PM 1 #2 of 3
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:26 PM #3 of 3
Ah~ It's too bad there are so many slight variations when playing Mahjong in any part of the world. I hope those European Riichi rules aren't too different from the Japanese ones, because if you're used to one set, then you usually have to relearn the point scoring for another. The Japanese rules look to be the most fun, as you can scream out every possible way your hand wins before you collect your points without complaints. xD

I know I would be distracted by Nodoka since she has the tendency to bounce noticeably if she so much as moves an inch.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Saki - Mahjong, school, and boobs