Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] What are you currently reading?

lord-of-shadow
Never pet a burning dog.

Member 38

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:36 PM #151 of 187
I actually found Wizard in Glass to be the best of the Dark Tower books, with the Gunslinger being my least favorite. I've spoken to many people who think just the opposite. It's a stylistic thing - Wizard in Glass definitely has a different sort of structure from the rest, and is easily the least surreal.

FELIPE NO
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:54 PM 1 #152 of 187
What part of W&G did you like best?

The part where nothing happened?

The part where nothing happened for an incredibly long stretch?

The part where something minor of no consequence to the larger plot happened?

The part where a character was introduced just so he could be killed off?

Because those are all good times and the last thing I want in my books about magic pistoleros is surrealism.

How ya doing, buddy?
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:47 AM #153 of 187
Ah, I'm gonna have to side with Lord-of-Shadow on this one guys... Wizard and Glass was by far my favorite of the series, and I was disappointed when it ended (granted, I can say that about the whole series). The look into Roland's past was an unexpected one, and a welcome one. It made them a true ka-tet to know what they're leader had gone through, and why he was the man he was.

Anyways, back to what I'm currently reading: The Gathering, by Anne Enright. I have to admit, I'm struggling through this book. It paints a difficult picture of a large Irish family that I just cant get my head around. I feel like this is the type of book that would be easier to get through if the reader has experienced Dublin at some point. As it is, I'm about halfway through, and I feel like NOTHING has happened.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
BlindMonk
A ride! Now that's a good idea!

Member 28143

Level 18.68

Feb 2008

Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:06 PM Local time: Sep 14, 2008, 12:06 PM #154 of 187
Finally finished the Churchill bio and I'm now looking over Life and Death in the Third Reich by Peter Fritzsche.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
NinjaguyDan
Collect and Contribute

Member 28985

Level 16.82

Mar 2008

Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:17 PM #155 of 187
Finished the new Artemis Fowl which was pretty good and now I'll either finish the Fountainhead or re-read the bartimaus trilogy.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
AtomicDuck
Quackus Maximus

Member 27199

Level 5.82

Dec 2007

Old Sep 14, 2008, 01:25 PM #156 of 187
I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and so far I'm loving it.
It has a nice twist on mythology, and while I only see a vague significance yet the extra side stories of different people who've moved to America add a nice atmospheric touch to the whole thing. Plus the basic plot behind it is just so original and unique.

How ya doing, buddy?
Agent Marty
*snore*

Member 243

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2008, 02:11 PM Local time: Sep 14, 2008, 11:11 AM #157 of 187
American Gods is fantastic, Atomic. One of my favorites, by far.

I was speaking idiomatically.
And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected." - John Steinbeck
charliedude
Wark!

Member 31192

Level 2.00

Jul 2008

Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:58 AM #158 of 187
I just got a copy of Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. Haven't read any of his stuff before, so I'm hoping I've found a new author to enjoy.

Most amazing jew boots
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2008, 01:50 AM #159 of 187
^
Niel Gaiman is an incredible author. His best is Neverwhere imo. Everyone I recommended simply loved it.

Currently Reading or recently Finished:
-Steve Alten's "The Trench", and "Meg: Primal Waters"
Basically a giant killer shark novel, I have been a sucker for Jaws so this book was immensly entertaining. A great thriller.
-F. Paul Wilson's "The Keep"
Amazing WWII Vampire novel that ISN'T Campy like all those other vampire novels I have seen in book stores. Highly recommended for fantasy historical fiction thriller fans.
-Brian Keene's "Dead Sea"
A first person novel about survivors on a boat trying to escape zombies. Not as great as I thought it was going to be.
-M.John Harrison's "Light"
I have no idea what is going on (Something about a spaceship with a human brain), and I am probably going to drop it. This sci-fi work that reminds me somewhat of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Damn...I want something to grab at me like Neil Gaiman or China Mievelle. Still looking for an author like that.

FELIPE NO
Ding0dil3
Heihachi Mishima

Member 31983

Level 2.25

Oct 2008

Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:48 AM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 12:48 PM #160 of 187
I am currently reading "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" by Dai Sijie.

I never read a book from this author, it is the first. I like it anyway.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kyndig
Syklis Green

Member 2709

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 1, 2008, 01:11 PM #161 of 187
I am currently reading "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" by Dai Sijie.

I never read a book from this author, it is the first. I like it anyway.
Are you suggesting that it is your inclination to automatically dislike the first book you read by any author?

Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:20 AM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 09:20 PM #162 of 187
I bought John Birmingham's Off One's Tits on Sunday and just started reading it today. It's a collection of previously published essays and articles and, honestly, it's pretty good. Some articles are perhaps slightly Hunter S. Thompson-esque, while some are more serious and thoughtfully written. I'm liking it so far. Nothing overly special, but not bad. Paid all of US$3 for it, too.

Last edited by Schadenfreude; Nov 18, 2008 at 08:23 AM.
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2008, 01:30 PM Local time: Dec 9, 2008, 08:30 PM #163 of 187
Just began reading Dune by Frank Herbert (Second restart I think). I really want to read more, but I can't find any time for it

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2008, 01:40 PM Local time: Dec 9, 2008, 08:40 PM #164 of 187
Started "Les Bienveillantes" (the Kindly Ones I think) by Jonathan Littell a week ago. It won the Prix Goncourt in 2006, and I had my eye on it for a while, but decided to wait for the Dutch translation. Now that it has been published costing 45 euros, I decided that I would bite through the bullet (1400 pages) and get the French pocket for 13 euros (Although it's another Folio edition, I hate those books, they always fall apart after I finish them).

The story is set up as the memoires of a fictional SS-officer, Max Aue, who was stationed at the Russian front during the Second World War, and describes the horrors that he encountered there. The descriptions of the massacres are disgusting, but what's really gruesome is the apathy of Max, he doesn't seem to care when tens of thousands of Jews are executed, and he doesn't seem to be able to show any real emotion. I'm only 300 pages in, but so far there have been 3 or 4 scenes that were so sickening that I had to put the book down. I'm usually fascinated by the darker side of man, by madness, but this was just too much for me. Nonetheless, it continues to be an interesting read, although it's impossible to immerse yourself in the horror for too long. The only complaint I have so far is that there are too many military terms without an explanation, which can be incredibly confusing because of the fast pace of the story.

How ya doing, buddy?
BlindMonk
A ride! Now that's a good idea!

Member 28143

Level 18.68

Feb 2008

Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:23 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 12:23 PM #165 of 187
Finishing up Warner Brothers - A History of the Studio: Its Pictures, Stars, and Personalities by Charles Higham. Published in 1975 it only really bothers with things up till the 1950's but it does have the benefit of being researched when most respective parties were still alive. Will be following this up with an 'official' history (replete with pretty pictures) to see how they stack up against each other.

I was speaking idiomatically.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2009, 01:42 AM Local time: Aug 19, 2009, 11:42 PM #166 of 187
Hyperion, by Dan Simmons. Weirdly laid out (the sharing of stories by the pilgrims remind me of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales) for a modern book, but it's well-written and interesting, I'm liking it so far. Those Bikura sure were creepy.
I'm about two-thirds through the book and loving it. He does a fantastic job making each character unique by changing his own writing style. I'd have to say that poet was my favorite to read through so far, though Sol's tale is very touching. After that one I'll read the sequel.

Prior to that book I finished up Flash Forward by Robert J. Sawyer. Really good book that postulates are we bound by fate or do we have control of our destiny? The science behind the book is really good and made me curious about some of the theories brought up in the book. Flash Forward is being adapted into a TV show but instead of people seeing their futures 21 years ahead, it's only six months. And all the characters have changed. About the only thing that is the same is the basic plot.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2009, 02:10 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2009, 09:10 AM #167 of 187
I'm currently 2/3 through a new compilation of the Nordic sagas. It's a trilogy of books called "Det Nordiske Testamente" ("The Nordic Testament"), containing most of the essential sagas of Norse Mythology, like stories of Valhalla and the Gods, Beowulf/Bjovulf, Rolf Krake and so forth.

And no, I don't believe in religion, but it's interesting because of my Scandinavian heritage, and seeing how it has influenced our ways of thinking in this part of the modern world.

FELIPE NO
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2009, 02:29 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2009, 12:29 AM #168 of 187
After reading the description on TV Tropes, I've started reading Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium. Its not that bad, pretty funny and not as GRIMDARK as apparently some WH40k related books are.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2009, 03:06 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2009, 01:06 AM #169 of 187
I just bought David Cross' book "I Drink For A Reason" and Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything". One was a Daily Show recommendation and the other was a gift from my cousin Eric. I'll start with the latter.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:30 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2009, 10:30 AM #170 of 187
After reading the description on TV Tropes, I've started reading Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium. Its not that bad, pretty funny and not as GRIMDARK as apparently some WH40k related books are.
Most of them are pretty grim and dark. I'm still buying each Horus Heresy book as it comes out although the quality has slipped a touch since the initial trilogy and Fulgrim. They're still decent reads though if you're into that kind of thing and the most recent, Fallen Angels was certainly much better than Mechanicum. The next couple to come out are Prospero Burns and A Thousand Sons which will tell the story of the Space Wolves attacking Prospero with each book being told from the opposite side's perspective, I think they're pretty much going to be a simultaneous release. No idea when though, I just order the next one each time they release one and get a nice surprise when it turns up.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2009, 02:47 AM Local time: Aug 25, 2009, 12:47 AM #171 of 187
Finished Hyperion. Really good, though the ending was a little abrupt. Highly recommend if you're looking for a new science fiction book to read. Now I'm going to start the Fall of Hyperion, which is obviously the continuation of the Hyperion Cantos.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2010, 04:44 PM Local time: Jan 26, 2010, 10:44 PM #172 of 187
Woohoo, thread necromancy!

I've recently been reading my way through Peter James' series of crime novels about Detective Roy Grace. They're set in and around Brighton which makes them more interesting for me (Especially as we live no more than 400 yards from Sussex Police Headquarters which features heavily) but even without that, they're great crime novels and worth a read if you're into that kind of thing. Of the three I've read so far, they all have something of a twist near the end as is typical with books like these and thus far, I've not completely seen any of them coming.

Well thought out crimes, good characters and generally well written stories. I'd recommend them. First one is called Dead Simple, then Looking Good Dead then Not Dead Enough ten a couple more to date.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:27 PM Local time: Jan 26, 2010, 05:27 PM #173 of 187
I'm currently reading through every single Nero Wolfe novel by the unbelievable Rex Stout. Best pulp detective novels ever.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:06 PM Local time: Jan 26, 2010, 05:06 PM #174 of 187
Right now I'm reading through a book called The Nature of Metals. I found it randomly at the library while hunting around for the cookbook section. It's an older book (published in the early '60s) that's about halfway between a textbook and a general interest book. I really like it since there's a TON of pictures of what the author's talking about. I'm really learning a lot more about basic materials characterization and the fundamentals you never really learn in school and are instead expected to just learn on the job.

I'm also about 2/3 of the way through Blue Highways. It's a pretty decent road-trip novel. Basic outline for his reason to go is his wife served him with divorce papers and he lost his job as an English professor within a few days of each other, and he says "Fuck this shit" and goes on a roadtrip with his rape van and something like $250. The chapters where he's talking to people are fantastic, while the ones that are just him waxing masturabatorically about how he's looking for this deeper meaning are complete trash (and obviously the failed English professor in him trying to come out). It's an alright book, but the last book I read, Desert Solitare, was much more thought provoking.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:44 AM Local time: Jan 27, 2010, 09:44 PM #175 of 187
Oh RR you nerd!

I'm currently reading Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (duh). It's a very entertaining book, and I'm currently 1/3 through it. You can't imagine how he was able to weave a very intricate web of events filled with twists and conspiracies and secrets on every turn, while giving the book an adventurous and humor-filled tone at the side.

The last book I read was Lord of the Flies. (better late than never)

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [News] What are you currently reading?