Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Jesse Custer hits... HBO?

Reznor
Good Chocobo

Member 336

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:13 AM #1 of 6
Jesse Custer hits... HBO?

Quote:
Mark Steven Johnson, who has just signed a deal with HBO to adapt the popular Vertigo comic Preacher into an hourlong series, told SCI FI Wire that he plans to turn each issue of the comic into a single episode, which will be as close to the original source material as possible. "I gave [HBO] the comics, and I said, 'Every issue is an hour,'" Johnson said at a preview of his upcoming film Ghost Rider in Hollywood, Calif., on Nov. 30. "And it's exactly the book. ... I had my meeting yesterday, and [Preacher creator] Garth Ennis is on the phone, and we're all in the room, and Garth is like, 'You don't have to be so beholden to the comic.' And I'm like, 'No, no, no. It's got to be like the comic.' So that's what's so brilliant about it. It's just like, HBO, who else would do it but them? Nobody. ... HBO is just like, 'Bring it on.'"
That's right, The Preacher will become an hourlong miniseries on HBO, with each episode being one hour. I don't know how well this will translate, but chances are it should be good.

I just find it odd that even Ennis was like "You don't have to be so accurate" and Johnson was basically like "Fuck that, I HAVE to be, Preacher owns."

Too bad Johnson wrote and directed Ghost Rider and Daredevil. But then again, ultimately it's up to Marvel what goes out considering what happened with a lot of the other films.

Who knows, I'm praying for this, if it goes through... guess who's getting HBO? :O

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:22 AM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 11:22 PM #2 of 6
I read this sometime ago, and read the article in Wizard about it.

Man, it's great that they're adapting Preacher to TV, but it's being done by the dude who botched up Daredevil (I can't say for Ghost Rider since I haven't seen it yet). But I'm gonna get cable if this turns out to be good.

If it's Preacher, it has to be violent.

Most amazing jew boots
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:48 AM #3 of 6
It sounds to me like it might turn some Preacher fans away. They already know how the story goes.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:50 AM #4 of 6
I think somebody mentioned this in Media Centre a few weeks ago, it sounds familiar. Anyhow, this is pretty cool. Faithful recreation of comic book stories in a serialized television format is exactly how the industry needs to get into television. While they're doing some good stuff with some of the films, I feel those are ultimately being hurt by not being recreations of existing storylines.

It would be ridiculously awesome if HBO or Showtime were to make a TV series out of Daredevil. I feel that comic would be a great fit for television, especially the last 2-3 years of the current volume.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Reznor
Good Chocobo

Member 336

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:47 AM #5 of 6
I think somebody mentioned this in Media Centre a few weeks ago, it sounds familiar. Anyhow, this is pretty cool. Faithful recreation of comic book stories in a serialized television format is exactly how the industry needs to get into television. While they're doing some good stuff with some of the films, I feel those are ultimately being hurt by not being recreations of existing storylines.

It would be ridiculously awesome if HBO or Showtime were to make a TV series out of Daredevil. I feel that comic would be a great fit for television, especially the last 2-3 years of the current volume.
I've been talking about this in chat since November/December when the ball was dropped. I don't know how well this will turn out, but knowing what's his face... it could be bad, although he doesn't want to deviate from the comics AT ALL. I don't know if he really botched Ghost Rider/Daredevil, considering I never read those comics... but to be honest, it's Marvel, and not one of their main cards and trying to adapt a whole series for one single movie while keeping fans happy and people who have never seen it interested? Seems hard to do.

Daredevil.. if it was a show... I'd only watch it when the Punisher appeared or when the Daredevil kicks his ass.

Most amazing jew boots
Star Man Aevum
DWN037

Member 1020

Level 8.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 03:26 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 01:26 AM #6 of 6
I read about this myself in Wizard. I had never heard of the comic or anything and decided I'd give this a shot. I love the first volume so very very much right now.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Jesse Custer hits... HBO?