Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] Mortal Kombat live-action digital series in development

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:18 PM #1 of 2
Mortal Kombat live-action digital series in development

Taken from Gamespot.com:

Quote:
Today, Warner Bros. announced that its Warner Premiere digital production label will be making a series of shorts based on Mortal Kombat: Rebirth starting next month. Directed by Tancharoen, the series will "take gamers deep into the history of warriors they know and love such as Scorpion, Johnny Cage, and Liu Kang." It begins filming in Vancouver in February and will be distributed via "online digital retailers" in the spring.

As for casting, Warner Bros. said that "additional details would be revealed in the coming weeks." However, an unconfirmed report on horror-film blog Bloody Disgusting says White will reprise his role as Briggs in the series.
I'm sorry, but if this is going to be based off of the Rebirth trailer then the chances of this being good are slim. While Mortal Kombat is about beings entering a tournament and fighting to the death, it is not about criminals and assassins that have illnesses, birth defects, whatever the hell you want to call them entering said deathmatch tournament. They are supposed to be from Outworld, which to my knowledge was not mentioned in the Rebirth trailer. Outworld, is the whole reason the tournament even exists because Shao Khan. the emperor of Outworld, is trying to take over Earthrealm. The tournament was created so that the best fighters of Earthrealm and Outworld would fight to determine the fate of Earthrealm. Even Mortal Kombat: Conquest stuck to this formula.

Now, is there a chance that this will not suck? Probably, but we'll see.

Most amazing jew boots
Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:03 PM Local time: Jan 27, 2011, 12:03 PM #2 of 2
This is the problem I see with most people when a video game franchise is turned into a movie. It is also the reason why most, if not all, movies that are based on video games fail.

People are fuck stupid.

For example: While the first Mortal Kombat movie -was- decent, the second was beyond retarded. Why? Because you CAN'T make a second Mortal Kombat movie. The story doesn't allow for it. You can bitch and complain all you want that the Mortal Kombat franchise has an in-depth and rich storyline, but you would be wrong and people will laugh at you.

On the other end of the spectrum, those who actually make the movies are fuck stupid too. They typically do the exact opposite of what they should in terms of what the game is about. A game that has a decent storyline and characters turns into a movie that has barely any characters from the game, and does not follow the storyline to the game at all. A good example of this is the Resident Evil franchise.

Though a video game with no plot lends itself the opportunity to make a fun, mindless action flick is typically ruined by the movie trying to over-emphasize a story when it doesn't need one. In this case we have the second Mortal Kombat movie and pretty much the entire library or Uwe Boll's movie career and Street Fighter.

Silent Hill, from what it seems, got it right. It stuck to the storyline of Silent Hill while making some adjustments. In fact, the biggest complaint was the side story involving the father, which should have been left out.

Now from what I see above, in Sonic's post, he wants another Mortal Kombat movie, but essentially if he wants to see it done right, he may as well go back and pop in the 1996 movie, or whenever it was made.

I thought the 7 minute Rebirth short was amazing. Yes, Mortal Kombat is supposed to be about a tournament blah blah blah and supernatural beings and all that good stuff. Like I said, it worked for the first movie but it could not for teh second. I can see Rebirth being a very, very good movie if they stick to the basic idea of a tournament and yet steeped in a real life world and city.

Now I mentioned above that Street Fighter was a bad example, and Rebirth seems to be following that bad example as it is trying to add too much story behind the characters and overall plot of a fighting game. This is true, but Rebirth isn't about trying to take down a sadistic madman with a rag tag group of freedom fighters who would never meet under any circumstances. At least not from what I have seen.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [News] Mortal Kombat live-action digital series in development