Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Doctor Who

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:18 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2010, 06:18 PM #1 of 14
Doctor Who

Get the Flash Player to play this audio file:
Well now, we have a new season, and a new doctor, upon us.

So, GFF, who here has been keeping up with the world's most beloved and longest running sci-fi series?

I mean, yes yes, we're all sad to see Tennant go, as he was fantastic, but we have a new doctor now and we must adjust.

The

is dead.

Long live the

So, moving forwards, yeah? Who all is watching this and what are our thoughts on the season so far? Or even on the past seasons? In short, Doctor Who is awesome and deserves some conversation.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Apr 18, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:09 PM #2 of 14
I got a warm and fuzzy feeling when I saw an ad for the new series at the movie theater yesterday, before Kick-Ass. My absolute favorite show since I was a little kid, and this is the first time it's gotten a major ad push in the US.

So yeah, I had my doubts about Matt Smith, but the first three episodes have blown me away. Getting back to some of the more old-school stuff (like the TARDIS never landing at the time it's supposed to) is a nice touch.

Also requesting the thread be titled "Doctor Who", since I think Dr. Who is only used in those terrible movies from the 60's where the Doctor is a human.

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:27 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2010, 07:27 PM #3 of 14
That's a good point, actually. We should get it changed to Doctor Who.

I came in late to the series, only really getting into it just before the series rebooted in 05. I have been utterly captivated so far. I managed to find a complete torrent (as complete as possible, anyway) and loved the older stuff.

I too was worried about Smith, but that first episode won me over immediately.

"Twelve years and four psychiatrists!"

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:43 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2010, 02:43 AM #4 of 14
I watched every episode of the first series of New Who, but my dedication has waned with each new series. That's changed now that Steven Moffat has taken charge of the series; his episodes have always been miles above the rest in terms of quality: The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink...

I like Smith a bit more than Tennant. He's a bit quirkier, a bit more of "The Doctor" I expect. Amy Pond isn't half bad either.

The Weeping Angels are back next week. Oh yes.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:46 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2010, 07:46 PM #5 of 14
I have to say, Amy Pond has impressed the hell out of me. My favourite companion in quite some time, I must say.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:06 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2010, 07:06 PM #6 of 14
Man I had completely missed that the series episodes had started broadcasting already. Off to the torrents I guess! I did happen to see a clip where the Daleks appeared (Shocking ), and they were of various colors for some reason or another, was that just some sort of reference or was it a plot point?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:13 PM #7 of 14
I did happen to see a clip where the Daleks appeared (Shocking ), and they were of various colors for some reason or another, was that just some sort of reference or was it a plot point?
It's a plot point (or a marketing ploy, depending on how you look at it).

Spoiler:
It's nice to finally have a Dalek episode where they aren't wiped out completely, only to somehow return a year later.

FELIPE NO
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:28 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2010, 09:28 PM #8 of 14
(or a marketing ploy, depending on how you look at it).
ie. if you collect power ranger figurines

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
ComradeTande
:B

Member 2213

Level 15.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2010, 05:49 PM Local time: Apr 30, 2010, 04:49 PM #9 of 14
I'm actually keeping fairly to date with this! (Slightly New Doctor fan!) I'm liking how the new season is going, and the new doctor is...much like the previous few, though "nerd chic!"

Can someone point me at the episodes that the Angels have appeared in before?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:32 PM 1 #10 of 14
There's been just one episode, Series 3 episode 10, "Blink". It was a fantastic episode, still one of my favourites.

I'm actually really liking Matt Smith as the Doctor. The new series seems to be doing pretty well. Can't wait to see the resolution of the Angel episode!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2010, 03:00 PM Local time: May 1, 2010, 02:00 PM #11 of 14
There's been just one episode, Series 3 episode 10, "Blink". It was a fantastic episode, still one of my favourites.

I'm actually really liking Matt Smith as the Doctor. The new series seems to be doing pretty well. Can't wait to see the resolution of the Angel episode!

Did you get a chance to see Matt Smith on Jonathan Ross right before the new series started? I think Ross mentions how great Tennant was like, six times. Hilarious.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

ComradeTande
:B

Member 2213

Level 15.98

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2010, 01:16 PM Local time: May 2, 2010, 12:16 PM #12 of 14
Wonderful episode last night! Good ending to the Angels! That and Amy Pond...scandalous.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2010, 04:29 PM #13 of 14
Wonderful episode last night! Good ending to the Angels! That and Amy Pond...scandalous.
I know a lot of fans are going crazy over that ending but you could kinda see it coming. Besides, out of all of the Doctor's recent companions, Amy Pond has some...issues.

Most amazing jew boots
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2010, 07:36 PM #14 of 14
Terry Pratchett has claimed that Doctor Who has become "ludicrous".

Spoiler:
The author, who said that he has always been a fan of the series, explained that it "breaks most of the laws of narrative".

Writing for SFX, he continued: "On planet Earth it's generally taken for granted that it's a bad thing to introduce into a narrative some last-minute solution that was totally unexpected and unheralded.

"The unexpected, unadvertised solution which kisses it all better is known as a deus ex machina - literally, a god from the machine. And a god from the machine is what the Doctor is now."

He went on: "A decent detective story provides you with enough tantalising information to allow you to make a stab at a solution before the famous detective struts his stuff in the library. Doctor Who replaces this with speed, fast talking, and what appears to be that wonderful element 'makeitupasyougoalongeum'."

Pratchett also dismissed the idea that Doctor Who is science fiction and claimed that the Doctor is starting to resemble God.

"The Doctor himself has in recent years been built up into an amalgam of Mother Teresa, Jesus Christ... and Tinkerbell," he said. "There is nothing he doesn't know and nothing he can't do... Perhaps they should start transmitting the programme on Sundays."

However, Pratchett admitted that he will continue to watch the series.

"After all, when you've had your moan you have to admit that it is very, very entertaining, with its heart in the right place, even if its head is often in orbit around Jupiter," he said. "I might shout at the screen again, but I will be watching on Saturday."

Doctor Who continues on Saturday at 6pm on BBC One.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Doctor Who