Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Overrated Movies (or "Why Does Everyone Like Tyler Durden?")

Amy-Chan
Banned

Member 4683

Level 6.05

Apr 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:44 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 09:44 PM #76 of 143
The Matrix series is pretty overrated. I work at blockbuster and I tend to like obscure movies and things that aren't so mainstream. I loved the first Matrix, but Reloaded was horrible. I think the Wachowski Brothers did an awesome job on V for Vendetta though. I have nothing against them.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:45 PM #77 of 143
Originally Posted by Zephos
The Empire Strikes Back[/i] is also overrated. It's certainly a fucking awesome film, and forever influenced pop culture, but I preferred the first Star Wars film, personally.
I'm curious as to what you perfer in Star Wars over ESB

I was speaking idiomatically.
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:51 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 07:51 PM #78 of 143
The Passion of the Christ is waaaaay overrated. I got so sick of people telling me how "important" this movie is and how I should see it immediately. If I want to see 2 hours of torture I'll just watch Hostel.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Tomzilla
Critically Insane

Member 2968

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:25 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 09:25 PM #79 of 143
I love Fight Club, though it's not for everyone. It's easy to understand, but some people have different tastes. Let's say some of those people hated seeing blood or nudity in a movie, they'd instantly deem 'Fight Club' a bad movie. Why? Well, it had an element they didn't like, so they are quick to judge it. The majority of everyone that are interested in movies suffers from this.

I'll have to nominate Napoleon Dynamite as well. I enjoy low-budgeted movies that become something more than they were originally envisioned to be. But I just couldn't enjoy it.

FELIPE NO
Zephos
Syklis Green

Member 994

Level 7.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:32 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 03:32 PM #80 of 143
Originally Posted by LeHah
I'm curious as to what you perfer in Star Wars over ESB
Nostalgia, certianly (though I wasn't around when any of the original films came out, it's still nostalgic). Grand Moff Tarkin is essentially the true villain and arguably more evil than Vader was (he doesn't even justify destroying Alderaan, unlike Anakin's "peace in the galaxy" crap), and Peter Cushing's performance is fantastic. It's also incredibly impressive given the budget constraints of the film in terms of effects.

It's certainly borderline in my preference for the first and second films, as ESB does have so much more to offer, but there's simply something about SW that gets me. Maybe I always prefer the underdog of the collective film-audience's mind (because apparently RotJ is better than SW).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:39 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 10:39 PM #81 of 143
Originally Posted by Tomzilla
I'll have to nominate Napoleon Dynamite as well. I enjoy low-budgeted movies that become something more than they were originally envisioned to be. But I just couldn't enjoy it.
You can't try to make yourself enjoy something. That only makes it worse.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
Tomzilla
Critically Insane

Member 2968

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:44 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 09:44 PM #82 of 143
Originally Posted by Dhsu
You can't try to make yourself enjoy something. That only makes it worse.
I wasn't try to enjoy it; I was trying to watch it and learn what it is, what story it is telling - just like any other movie viewing. Just I couldn't find myself enjoying it, since I didn't like it.

But thanks for the advice.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 01:36 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 11:36 PM #83 of 143
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, so I'll go ahead and say Donnie Darko. The movie isn't even really bad, but it's not good either. I bought it after hearing everyone say how awesome this movie was. Too bad it only had 2 cool scenes. And of course when I say I didn't like it the "you didn't understand it" people come in. Even if I didn't, who gives a rats ass, movies like that are fucking retarded anyways (with a few exceptions). I watch a movie to get entertained, not to give myself a headache trying to figure what the fuck just happened. If you have to think after the movie as to what just happened, it's probably not a good movie(again, there are a few exceptions).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 01:39 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 03:39 AM #84 of 143
Originally Posted by Casaubon
If you have to think after the movie as to what just happened, it's probably not a good movie(again, there are a few exceptions).
I wanna call you a retard, but I can't.

Wait, I just did.

Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 02:29 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 04:29 PM #85 of 143
Hmmm... I disagree with quite a bit in here, but thats a matter of perosnal opinion really...

Lost in Translation
not saying it was great or anything... it was ok... however, maybe different in your region, but there was NO hype for this movie.

Boondock Saints, Shaun of the Dead, and Donnie Darko have/had at most moderate hype, although I think that;s an over-exageration. I think they recieved the moderate levels of praise they've recieved.

Matrix, Fightclub; both good for the most part in my opnion. Both had lots of hype. I probably wouldn't have been as impressed if I had seen them post-hype.

mine are:
-napolean dynamite
Heard so much crap from this movie... saw it... and well. It was boring, and I foudn the humor not so humorous.

-Matrix Reloaded
Had alot of hype here, but it was a letdown. Felt it added very little to the 3 part series.

-Saw
Everyone thought it was so amazing and so original... but I've seen it done, and this time it wasn't even done that well IMO.

-Kill Bill
Lotta hype. The first one was decent. The second one bored me.

-Scarface
Don't get me wrong, its good and all... but its not THAT good. Lotta hype for this one in my region. I see alot more posters for Scarface than I do for boondock saints, pulp fiction, matrix, kill bill, and fight club combined. Although, its probably just my region.

Can't think of anything else right now. Although, I know there's more.

If you have to think after the movie as to what just happened, it's probably not a good movie(again, there are a few exceptions).
Are you serious? I love movies I can think about it. It adds so much more to the movie.

FFXI - Asura - Brd :3

Last edited by avanent; Apr 12, 2006 at 02:32 AM.
Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 02:53 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 12:53 AM #86 of 143
Sorry I upset you nerds, but believe it or not, thats actually just my personal preference. Movies are supposed to be fun, if I wanted to think I'd do actual work on something. I don't even know if I said it right. I don't mind movies where you think, and like movies I can still think about after they're done, but stupid shit like Donnie Darko is just outrageous. I like how none of the movie even makes sense.

But whatever, go ahead and try to act witty.

How ya doing, buddy?
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 03:00 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 05:00 AM #87 of 143
Being stimulated and challenged intellectually by a movie is a bad thing by your standards? Is it hereditary?

FELIPE NO
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 03:09 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 05:09 PM #88 of 143
Quote:
Sorry I upset you nerds
enjoying thought != nerd
I'm actually much more invovled in sports than in "nerd" related activities.

Donnie Darko made plenty of sense for me the first time through. However, the more I htought about it the more it unfolded, which is where it becomes even more intresting and enjoyable imo. I don't buy most movies that leave you knowing everything, because I see no point in watching them again(I own like no comedies :P).

FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 03:17 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 01:17 AM #89 of 143
I found Lost in Translation horribly overrated. That and Brokeback Mountain, which simply road the controversy wave that had people ignore that it was a subpar movie at best.

IMO anyways, the whole premise of "overrated" is a movie that everyone liked and raved about but which you didn't like yourself. It's all subjective, there's no absolute truth in these sort of things.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:02 AM #90 of 143
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, so I'll go ahead and say Donnie Darko.
While I greatly enjoy the movie - I'm sick and tired of hearing about it. People think its some kind of underground, secret movie and treat it like only select few should know.

starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:40 AM #91 of 143
I like Donnie Darko a lot, but mostly for the setting. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but the entire film has a very distinct atmosphere that I've never seen anywhere else.

Anyone else who's seen it get the same feeling? To me, it's almost like they managed to instill every scene with a vague sense of foreboding that kind of comes to a climax in the end.

I'm probably just nuts. Anyway, Donnie Darko would definitely fit with Boondock Saints and Napoleon Dynamite in the "overhyped by teenagers" category.

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 01:41 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 12:41 PM #92 of 143
What I liked about Napoleon Dynamite was that everything came full circle. Every seemingly pointless event that happened or random item that he got ultimately had a purpose. The glamour shots photo, Pedro's cousins, and of course the dance music tape (<3 Jamiroquai, btw). Almost like Signs in that regard, except without the religious overtones.

LizardSC
Slave to the Rhythm

Member 5069

Level 7.59

Apr 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 01:53 PM #93 of 143
I found Traffic to be very overrated. It came very close to winning the Best Picture Oscar (Gladiator took it instead, I believe), but I think the movie was one big snooze. I guess some would call the insane mono-color digital grading "artistic", but it made the movie a literal pain to watch.

I have to agree about Lost in Translation. Watched it cause I like Scarlett and Tokyo, but neither was worth it.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 01:56 PM #94 of 143
Like Napoleon Dynamite, Donnie Darko was only cool when nobody really knew about it. Now every emo/goth goes around with their "mad world" ringtones like the uptight emo twats they are.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 04:52 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 10:52 PM #95 of 143
Two movies I could never quite appreciate were Signs and The Ninth Gate, the former being far below my personal expectations set by The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable and the latter just didn't make much sense to me, it dragged on quite a bit and the ending felt rushed.

FELIPE NO
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 04:58 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 03:58 PM #96 of 143
Yes, but The Ninth Gate isn't overrated because nobody liked it.

Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 05:16 PM #97 of 143
For me, the first Lord of the Rings was overrated. It took a while for the story to get going, so the first half was rather boring. But the second and third films were excellent in my opinion.

Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 07:33 PM #98 of 143
Originally Posted by sprouticus
Like Napoleon Dynamite, Donnie Darko was only cool when nobody really knew about it.
False: Napoleon Dynamite was never cool.

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:26 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 09:26 PM #99 of 143
Hahaha, that's the point. Its complete dorkiness is why people find it so charming. A lot of them identify with those awkward years (or at least know someone who went through them).

Cobra
One day...

Member 1101

Level 7.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 08:52 AM #100 of 143
Originally Posted by LizardSC
I found Traffic to be very overrated. It came very close to winning the Best Picture Oscar (Gladiator took it instead, I believe), but I think the movie was one big snooze. I guess some would call the insane mono-color digital grading "artistic", but it made the movie a literal pain to watch.
Agree with you, sir. While the picture didn't bother me too much, I was quite annoyed by the lack of scenario, acting and directing. Only Benicio Del Toro saved the house. I found myself 80% asleep during a good part of the movie. It was plain boring, simple as that. Most of Soderbergh movies does that to me anyway, I never get the hype around Ocean 11/12, Erin Brockovich, etc. "hey but most of the jackass hyped actors wanna play in his movies for a cheaper paycheck !" Wow that's awesome then.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Overrated Movies (or "Why Does Everyone Like Tyler Durden?")