Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

iPod or Zen?

RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:29 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 07:29 PM #26 of 134
Storm Petrel doesn't have any friends does he?

Anyway my family and I have been using Apple products for the past 17 years now and the only issues we've ever had was a power supply that died in an old SE after 8 years and dead pixel on Dad's old Titanium Powerbook G3. I swear all these alledged iPod problems are some kind of slander campaign.

News: Apple have awesome customer support. If in the unlikely event of your iPod being faulty, they will fix or replace it.

How would Apple dominate the mp3 market by so much for being crap?

[quote]
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
In before comments about Apple stealing Creative's Interface ideas.
I bestow Merv with the blue ribbon for winning the race noone was running in. Three cheers for the champion!

How ya doing, buddy?
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:42 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 01:42 PM #27 of 134
Reminds me of a song.

"Everything Zen
Everything Zen
I don't think so"

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Storm Petrel
Liquid Shadow

Member 10642

Level 6.19

Aug 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 09:31 AM #28 of 134
I still don't understand, is a couple more millimeters of thickness going to kill you? And not only does the Zen have a much longer battery life, remember the audio quality, it's always going to superior to that of the iPods.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"Through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live."
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 09:47 AM #29 of 134
Originally Posted by RABicle
News: Apple have awesome customer support. If in the unlikely event of your iPod being faulty, they will fix or replace it.
News: Apple will replace your IPod with a refurbished IPod that is not yours and will not have your music on it.

News: Apple has come under fire for the life of the batteries used in IPods. Yes, people don't know how to properly charge anything - an IPod, a cellphone, whatever - but this means that Apple should either...

A.) Support a more customer friendly stance where the customer can replace the battery without sending the unit in

B.) Make a battery that supports stupid customers

News: IPods are a single answer to a larger problem - portable MP3 music. Odds are that there are better products - and worse - out there.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:01 AM #30 of 134
Originally Posted by Dayvon
Yeah and iTunes is hard to get stuff on your iPod, you connect it and it syncs. End of story.
Synching is very retarded if you have a music collection larger than what your player can hold.

"HEY YOU'VE GOT ALL THIS COOL NEW MUSIC. OH IT DOESN'T FIT "

Highly unlikely in this case, but it's possible in many other cases.

Drag and drop gives a lot more control over what actually goes on your player, while syching is for convenience.

Personally, I'd rather have more control over convenience.

I bestow Merv with the blue ribbon for winning the race noone was running in. Three cheers for the champion!
Get a life.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:05 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 09:05 AM #31 of 134
My sister has a Zen... and we have had a few problems with charging it and a few problems with the headphones port. Btw... are you the r1ch from bnet/dcloneirc?

Most amazing jew boots
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:57 AM #32 of 134
Originally Posted by Storm Petrel
I still don't understand, is a couple more millimeters of thickness going to kill you? And not only does the Zen have a much longer battery life, remember the audio quality, it's always going to superior to that of the iPods.
It's twice as thick, or a little bit more. This will cause problems when sticking it into the pockets of my pants.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:08 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 10:08 AM #33 of 134
Synching is very retarded if you have a music collection larger than what your player can hold.

Drag and drop gives a lot more control over what actually goes on your player, while syching is for convenience.

That's why I prefer control as well (which I said in the post you quoted). I have music collection that is about 30+GB so I could have this problem too. That's the biggest reason I might not get a iPod. Right now I have a work Mac, and a HTPC thats runs off custom software, no MCE Windows. I prefer the customizeability of the PC, but I love the ease of use of the Mac world too. Just need to figure out which one I like best before I buy a MP3 player.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:24 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 09:24 AM #34 of 134

Interestingly enough, I have an iPod, I use iTunes, and I have both syncing convenience AND control over what goes on my player. It's called "sync from playlist." Because my library's too big to fit on my 20GB iPod, I have a playlist which contains all the songs I want on it. If I want to remove some, I take them off the playlist. If I want to add others, I put them on. I plug in the iPod, it takes care of the rest. It's the perfect compromise: I get to control exactly what goes on my iPod, but I keep the ID3 navigation (far superior, in my opinion) and metadata syncing (playcounts, ratings, etc.).

To the OP: basically it boils down to what you want. If you want easy, simple music playback and loads of accessory options, go with the iPod. If you want more format support and don't care about sleekness/style, go with something else.

As to the iPod's reliability, I think the main reason you hear so many more complaints on the Internet about the iPod than you did three years ago when I bought mine is that there are simply a fuckton more of them out there. When I bought mine, Apple was moving 250,000 a quarter. Now they're selling 8 million in regular quarters and 14 million in the holiday quarter. That's a lot more players that can break if mistreated or manufactured badly. Out of all the friends I have who have bought iPods, I only know two who've had consistent trouble. So I wouldn't worry about the iPod from a quality front, and besides, if something's wrong with yours within warranty, Apple will replace it.

How ya doing, buddy?
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.

Last edited by killmoms; Aug 10, 2006 at 11:28 AM.
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:27 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 05:27 PM #35 of 134
Originally Posted by Storm Petrel
remember the audio quality, it's always going to superior to that of the iPods.
Care to back that up with proof? Seperating player's nowadays based on audio quality i ridiculous. They all perform equally good in that department.
If it was a couple of years ago, you could have gotten away with that statement, nowadays, no way.

Anyway, I have a 5G Ipod with Rockbox installed and it has worked wonders for me. Very satisfied. I mainly use it to listen to my audio format which is flac. Furthermore, hooking it up with a nice pair of UE super fi 5 pro's and a Emmeline SR-71 like i have and you've got yourself a killer combo.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:44 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 08:44 AM #36 of 134
What Merv is saying is true. It's a bitch when you have more music than can possibly fit on your iPod.

Dark Chocolate
Loves Her Boyfriend

Member 429

Level 13.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:45 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 11:45 AM #37 of 134
I have a Zen and the only problems I've had is I bought a sony USB/AC charger and it's a piece of shit but that's Best Buy's fault. And when I tried to charge it on my new notebook I forgot to install in the software... my fault. I've dropped it numerous times and it's ok. My friend has an iPod Shuffle... no problems. I'd go with Zen for one reason- price. iPod is popular for the name... and (like anything with Disney on it) it's expensive because it's iPod. I got my 5gb Zen for 120$ I regret not getting a bigger one for 160. Sure you can fine iPod accessories everywhere, but they are expensive and you can get Zen stuff off their site. (which I shoulda done with my AC adapter)

***Leaving for Japan MAY 16***
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:51 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 06:51 PM #38 of 134
For me, iTunes is actually the biggest reason to stay away from iPods. As others have already mentioned, if you're used to transfer files on your computer via drag & drop or copy & paste and organize them in folders, the restrictive database management of iTunes will prove very bulky.

I know there are solutions to bypass iTunes and make an iPod "mass storage"-compatible, but these tools have to be installed on every computer you intend to use your iPod and music collection with. However, I'd prefer to just plug my MP3 player into the USB port of a computer and have it detect the thing automatically (all modern operating systems, including Linux and MaxOS support USB mass storage). That way, you can use the thing to store all sorts of files easily. From my knowledge, this is just not possible with an iPod by default.

Storm Petrel
Liquid Shadow

Member 10642

Level 6.19

Aug 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:53 PM #39 of 134
YoMan, my proof is that Creative players have SNR of at least 96dB SNR or higher, for iPods, looks like Apple is too ashamed to list the SNR, if it's equally good, why don't they list it? Also, I don't remember an iPod as a equalizer built in, most Zen players have an built-in equalizer.

FELIPE NO
ORLY
YA RLY

Member 8978

Level 7.21

Jun 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:55 PM #40 of 134
How would Apple dominate the mp3 market by so much for being crap?
How can Bose have a reputation for high quality audio when it is almost unaminously agreed among Hi-Fi enthusiets that Bose is one of the worst speaker/headphone manufacturer out there? The answer is advertising, and shinies.

Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
It's twice as thick, or a little bit more. This will cause problems when sticking it into the pockets of my pants.
According to CNET the iPod is 0.4 inches and the Vision:M is 0.7 inches thick (even CNET wouldn't lie about that right?). And the Zen is shorter then the iPod. Unless you have some REALLY small pockets, I doubt you would have problems fitting that in your pocket.

Originally Posted by YoMan
Care to back that up with proof? Seperating player's nowadays based on audio quality i ridiculous. They all perform equally good in that department.
Well, I've personally never listened to an iPod or used iTunes, but according to wikipedia (so it must be right), the iPod has problems with its bass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod#Bass_response

Storm Petrel
Liquid Shadow

Member 10642

Level 6.19

Aug 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:57 PM #41 of 134
Thank you ORLY, glad to see someone who isn't an iPod zealot.

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:59 PM #42 of 134
Originally Posted by Capo
What Merv is saying is true. It's a bitch when you have more music than can possibly fit on your iPod.
It's really not. I have about 85 GB of music and a 30 GB iPod Video. I have no problems choosing what I want to listen to and adding it to the iPod. If you have trouble deciding what to put on it, then you're going to have the same problems with other players.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

rockthepartay
Crazy people don't know they're going crazy. They think they're getting saner.

Member 693

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:14 PM #43 of 134
I would just like to comment on the thickness of the Vision:M.

Yes, when compared to the 30GB 5th generation iPod, the Vision:M looks hideous. However, the look and thickness is really no different than previous versions of the iPod. Besides the negative aspect of not fitting in your pocket, I prefer the thickness. It handles much easier in your hand.

Don't let the thickness be a huge deterrent.

Storm Petrel
Liquid Shadow

Member 10642

Level 6.19

Aug 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:25 PM #44 of 134
Not only that, but I never liked the looks of iPods, I think Creative players look way more interesting than the iPod, it just looks like a boring piece of brick.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:54 PM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 10:54 AM #45 of 134
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
It's really not. I have about 85 GB of music and a 30 GB iPod Video. I have no problems choosing what I want to listen to and adding it to the iPod. If you have trouble deciding what to put on it, then you're going to have the same problems with other players.
It's in the way they chose to make it, not my inability to choose certain music over others. With a drag-and-drop interface it would be easy, but with the little checkmark boxes, it's damn annoying.

Also, ORLY, double the thickness would be a considerable difference, dontcha think?

YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 02:47 PM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 08:47 PM #46 of 134
Originally Posted by ORLY
Well, I've personally never listened to an iPod or used iTunes, but according to wikipedia (so it must be right), the iPod has problems with its bass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod#Bass_response
That was a problem that was most present at the time of the 3G Ipod and which has since been improved in the 4G and now in the 5G. It's only applied to the headphone jack ouput, so if you were to use a true line out with pocketdock for instance this problem would be solved. Although using this method would mean no more sound control internaly inside the ipods firmware. Meaning that you would have to get an amp.

Quote from ipodlounge:

Quote:
Bass performance has been improved. In testing with a collection of lossless tracks and the UE-10 Pros, small but noticeable enhancements of the bass are definitely apparent, giving tracks an inoffensively warmer sound. With Bass Booster turned on, distortion is not absent in the 5G, but is definitely lower, and has a smoother, less mechanical edge.
Saying that one is more superior than the other in terms of audio quality is just not right. If your buying a player today you tend to focus on other things like how many GB, price, how are you gonna use it etc etc. Cause you know that your essentially getting the same audio quality.

Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 02:57 PM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 01:57 PM #47 of 134
The bigger question is why you're limited to only Zens or iPods? In my opinion, iRivers are far superior (At least the HDD Models). You don't have to deal with annoying software for your music collection, and they support more formats than your iPods do.

FELIPE NO

The Archangel
Daywalker

Member 10687

Level 1.02

Aug 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 04:44 PM #48 of 134
personally, i have a 30 gig iPod video, and i love the thing. its my best friend, lol, not really but you know. the sound quality is awesome, the video quality is good, and theres a lot of stuff you can do with the right programs

hey friends! click here to see my sweet Vampire:
http://world3.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=38074152
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 04:49 PM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 02:49 PM #49 of 134
It's in the way they chose to make it, not my inability to choose certain music over others. With a drag-and-drop interface it would be easy, but with the little checkmark boxes, it's damn annoying.
Uh, like I said—sync with playlist. No checkboxes required.

If you want something on the iPod, you drag and drop it onto the playlist. If you want something off, you delete it from the playlist.

Or hell, just put it in manual mode. Drag stuff on the iPod, or just delete it off. Easy. Both methods are "drag-and-drop."

You never have to use checkboxes to determine what goes on the iPod and what stays off.

killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.

Last edited by killmoms; Aug 10, 2006 at 04:55 PM.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 05:15 PM #50 of 134

Also, ORLY, double the thickness would be a considerable difference, dontcha think?
I do drag and drop with my iPod. I simply use the menu limiters at the top to limit the songs displayed by the artist, genre, album, or any combination of the three. Then it's a simple CTRL+A, a drag and a drop.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > iPod or Zen?