Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Revolution games = 49.99, USB ports for storage a go go
Closed Thread

HylianLink
Wark!

Member 1417

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:21 PM #1 of 17
Revolution games = 49.99, USB ports for storage a go go

Since the Revolution thread is locked (unnecessarily imo) i'm making this thread, feel free to merge it with another or whatever. According to CNNmoney by way of IGN, Revolution games will be 49.99 at least first party titles. Iwata also mentioned that the systems internal 512 megs of ram can be expanded by way of SD cards and hinted at the use of the USB ports on the back for storage purposes as well.

Link to article:http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699033p1.html
Article for those too lazy to click:

Nintendo: Rev Games Under $50
Suggests the console's USB ports can be used with hard drives for additional storage.
by Matt Casamassina

March 29, 2006 - In an interview with CNNMoney, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata spoke about Nintendo's position in the next generation market, and specifically about the company's forthcoming console, still-codenamed Revolution.

Although many new Xbox 360 games launch with a suggested retail price of $59.99, Iwata dismissed the possibility that Nintendo would follow suit with its first party Revolution games. "I cannot imagine any first party title [on Revolution] could be priced more than $50," he said. "I really don't think that there's going to be a lot of acceptance by current customers of the $60 price tag."

Nintendo's president further elaborated that simple, addictive games like Tetris might be offered through Revolution's virtual console, while "masterpiece" titles would more likely be distributed on physical discs.

Consumers can buy Xbox 360 with a 20 gigabyte hard drive and Sony recently announced that PlayStation 3, which launches later this year, will require a 60 gigabyte drive. Revolution, on the other hand, will feature only 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, to which downloaded games and other content can be stored. Nintendo at the Game Developers Conference 2006 announced that SEGA Genesis and TurboGrafx 16 titles can be downloaded to Revolution's virtual console.

Iwata told CNNMoney that Revolution users would be able to expand the system's 512MBs of internal flash memory with SD Cards, which can be plugged into the front of the console. SD Cards come in sizes upward of 8GBs. More interestingly, though, is what Iwata suggested to the publication, which is that because Revolution features two USB ports "… practically any storage method can be used." This comment would seem to indicate that users will, in fact, be able to hook up a hard drive to Revolution for significantly expanded storage.

Finally, the Japanese executive hinted that more virtual console partners were on board and would be announced at a future date. "A number of different publishers are now interested in participating in this virtual console system," he said. "As far as the details, though, I believe we will wait for another opportunity before discussing them."

Nintendo will launch its new generation Revolution console before Thanksgiving in America. The company plans to pull back the curtains on the machine, showing any secret features and playable games, at the Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles this May.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
neothe0ne
River Chocobo

Member 461

Level 25.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:26 PM #2 of 17
IGN is also going to reveal full specs for Revolution tonight.. supposedly...

If Nintendo wasn't going to enable flash drives and external hard drives for Revolution's USB2.0 ports, I would have been disappointed. As it stands, SD cards and USB2.0 storage devices is very good, and saves us tons of money...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:31 PM #3 of 17
Not to mention it makes all sorts of possibilities for cross-platform third party game development. Think, if you have a save file on Game X for the Revolution, and it's also been released for the PS3 you can load up your save file for it on your friend's PS3 and play with him or her, or vice versa.

I'm happy about it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:42 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 07:42 PM #4 of 17
My only concern is the size of the virtual console games. At what point (and depending on the system you have them for...as SNES roms take up more than NES do) would you fill the device and can this be a pain in the ass to manage?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:42 PM #5 of 17
$49.99 games.

What a revelation.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:49 PM #6 of 17
Meh... $50 for games isn't bad. I deal with it now, so I can deal with it for the Rev. I was kinda hoping for them to cost less, but c'est la vie.

Who knows, maybe they WILL be less. He did say they won't go over $50...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:51 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2006, 01:51 PM #7 of 17
Quote:
Consumers can buy Xbox 360 with a 20 gigabyte hard drive and Sony recently announced that PlayStation 3, which launches later this year, will require a 60 gigabyte drive. Revolution, on the other hand, will feature only 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, to which downloaded games and other content can be stored. Nintendo at the Game Developers Conference 2006 announced that SEGA Genesis and TurboGrafx 16 titles can be downloaded to Revolution's virtual console.
Wow, that's bad. Bad as in bad, not bad as in "man, that's bad"

Looks like we'll be ending up with an external hard drive no matter what console you stick with. 512 mb won't hold as many games as you think. And it won't be 512 mb, it'll be 400~480 mb. Much like how iPods claim to be 20 gb, when in actual fact are only 18 mb.

FELIPE NO
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:53 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 07:53 PM #8 of 17
Originally Posted by Elixir
Wow, that's bad. Bad as in bad, not bad as in "man, that's bad"

Looks like we'll be ending up with an external hard drive no matter what console you stick with. 512 mb won't hold as many games as you think. And it won't be 512 mb, it'll be 400~480 much like iPods are.
I think it is actually around 505. Either way, that media is much cheaper than a hard drive. I paid $25 for my GC memory card, and every game (and lots of them) I have is on there, room to spare.

ROM sizes seem to be the only issue I have with it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:55 PM #9 of 17
I'll just attach a 300GB HD and download everything.

Who is with me.

Hold up, loading Mario Sunshine 3 now.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:12 PM #10 of 17
I suppose if you're already equipped with a flash drive or something, this will be good for you. I wonder if we'll be able to stick a whole bunch of ROMs we've already downloaded onto a flash drive and play them in the Rev?

*orgasm*

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:14 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2006, 02:14 PM #11 of 17
Probably not.

It would be stupid for Nintendo to allow current rom filetypes to be accepted on the console. Instead of using .gen or whatever rom filetypes currently are, they'll probably end up making their own and release them in packs.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
b-hc.net|andrew
Satisfaction Guarnteed

Member 3775

Level 3.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:19 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 10:19 PM #12 of 17
well, I remember the 64 games were like 80.00 then when the cube came out it was like 60.00 ... Hopefully if they follow this pattern follows........it will cost 40.00 for the REV. games

Most amazing jew boots
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:23 PM #13 of 17
Originally Posted by Elixir
Probably not.

It would be stupid for Nintendo to allow current rom filetypes to be accepted on the console. Instead of using .gen or whatever rom filetypes currently are, they'll probably end up making their own and release them in packs.
Give it time... There'll be some hacks for that shortly after it's release, I'm sure.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:35 PM #14 of 17
It's just been announced that Revolution is nothing but Toycube 2. No, seriously.

88MBs of RAM. What can you even run.

Hit up IGN.

How ya doing, buddy?
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 01:40 AM #15 of 17
I can't wait until Nintendo strikes up a deal with Microsoft to include X-Box games in its virtual console.

FELIPE NO
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 03:52 AM Local time: Mar 30, 2006, 04:52 PM #16 of 17
Originally Posted by Megalith
It's just been announced that Revolution is nothing but Toycube 2. No, seriously.

88MBs of RAM. What can you even run.

Hit up IGN.
You know Spore is being released for DS as well? Shit just iamgine what they could even run when given a system with 22 times as much ram.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 04:59 AM #17 of 17
Originally Posted by HylianLink
Since the Revolution thread is locked (unnecessarily imo) i'm making this thread, feel free to merge it with another or whatever.
I think I'll go with the "whatever" option, thanks! =)

Nintendo has stated they wanted to make Revolution cheap for developers who would have to be spending much more money on games for PS3 and 360 games which is the reasoning for $60 games on 360 at the moment. It wasn't unexpected that games on Revolution would cost less. Big whoop.

USB ports for external storage is actually very neat and smart, but it's just a quote and no specifications by Nintendo have been made about how it will work. Again I feel that until some full-out information on how Revolution and its Virtual Console and anything else related works a Revolution thread like this isn't needed.

So, please don't question my judgment again, HylianLink. There are places to discuss small tidbits like these: AIM, MSN IM, #gfchat, #nwifi, and PlanetGamecube's forums. Take your pick because it just doesn’t work in here. Time and time again I'm given the message that you all aren't able to speculate without fagging up the place so… whatever! =D

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Revolution games = 49.99, USB ports for storage a go go