Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] MS sued over idiots misusing their consoles

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 01:46 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2008, 12:46 PM #1 of 64
MS sued over idiots misusing their consoles

Microsoft faces new Xbox 360 reliability accusations - Video Game Feature - Yahoo! Video Games

Quote:
Documents unsealed in his court case revealed Microsoft discovered its Xbox 360 could scratch discs before it went on sale in 2005, and even got as far as considering three possible solutions to the problem, the Seattle Tech Report revealed today.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 01:48 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2008, 07:48 PM 1 2 #2 of 64
That's nice.

And your point is what exactly?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 02:46 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2008, 01:46 PM #3 of 64
Is this not the proper forum to post news items related to gaming, and is there not a [news] tag for posting of said news items?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 02:52 PM #4 of 64
It's Microsoft fucking over its customers for no obvious reason

It's not really news then is it

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 03:01 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2008, 04:31 PM #5 of 64
Is this not the proper forum to post news items related to gaming, and is there not a [news] tag for posting of said news items?
I don't necessarily think that is the point Shin was trying to make, speculative. I don't want to speak for Shin and sound out of line but usually when a person puts down something gaming news related it should be a lot more than just the news article in itself. It should be your personal opinion about it as well. How do you feel about Microsoft being sued over the 360 scratching DVD's.

I would like to think a great way of adding discussion to a particular gaming news article is to add how you feel about instead of counting on other people to create the discussion for you. That is just my constructive criticism.

In terms of my opinion concerning the subject, I don't own a 360 so I didn't see first hand the kind of damage the 360 would do to the games, but I have heard about it on the scatter occasion. It sounds like Microsoft got caught with their pants down and they might have some consumer problems to deal with, but I don't personally think its going to hurt the console. People are still going to buy it, but it would be interesting to see how this lawsuit ends up.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 03:04 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2008, 09:04 PM #6 of 64
This problem no longer exists in new 360s as far as I know. My girlfriend and I both have recent models and we've not experienced any scratched discs. It's a moderately interesting piece of news, but... it relates to a dead issue.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 03:35 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2008, 08:35 PM #7 of 64
I don't want to speak for Shin and sound out of line but usually when a person puts down something gaming news related it should be a lot more than just the news article in itself.
That's giving speculative a bit too much credit, since speculative didn't even post the article, but a link to the article.

See, what I think Angel of Light is getting at, and rightly so, is quite simply: where's the content? Someone suing someone else in America is hardly news, not least of all when the someone getting sued is Microsoft (or any other big company really). Where's the start of any discussion? What is the point of posting the news? I'm willing to bet your only point in posting the news story was to go "Lol, M$ getting sued". Hilarious.

FELIPE NO
Old Dec 17, 2008, 04:22 PM 1 #8 of 64
Guys, guys, guys, I think what speculative really wanted us to do was construe the true meaning behind his thread.

so on topic:
Man, my beliefs in Babylon 5 only having five seasons is being shook too. It's difficult to come to terms.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 04:23 PM 1 #9 of 64
Microsoft totally would have made working 360s if the Centauri hadn't conquered the Narn.

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 04:44 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2008, 02:44 PM #10 of 64
Quote:
The characteristic circular scratches can occur whenever the orientation of the console -- which is designed to be used in either a horizontal or vertical position -- is changed while the drive is spinning.
Obviously this guy is dumb enough to do something like this so I think he deserves to lose.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 05:06 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2008, 04:06 PM 1 #11 of 64
Y'know, it would be nice if we could post news bits without getting chomped to shit, guys.

It'd also be nice if the actual fucking article was in in the quote box like a normal person would post, Speculative. Everyone's fucking right. This is a horrible, shitty thread.

But what the fuck is there to discuss really? Horray? Who cares? If anyone wants to post news of worth why doesn't anyone make a thread on why the American Club Nintendo is up and running but is insanely broken? That'd have some discussion going. Talk about a stupid fucking thing to pick. Omagnus is right, this reeks of posting just for the lulz considering what should and DOES NOT get posted.

Regardless, it's strange that this comes now, considering we've all known it can do this, and they've admitted to knowing it does this for a while. I understand there's a problem with knowningly selling a faulty product, but that's not really what this problem encompasses. You can ruin a lot of things by doing stuff to them while they're operating that the manufacturers probably know about, but won't get sued over. Don't fucking tilt over your washing machine kids, you might break it.

Well, duh?

Most amazing jew boots
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 07:40 AM #12 of 64
At first I thought this was just saying that it scatches discs, period. However, adding the 'you have to tilt it' adds a whole new dimension both to this and even future lawsuits. The bad part is, part of me feels this may become another "hot coffee" incident.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 07:56 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 01:56 PM #13 of 64
The opening post was utterly pathetic. Posting news here is fine but just posting a single paragraph of a news story and a link is not the way to create a thread. Put some discussion in it, your own thoughts at the very least.

As far as this goes, the fucker is suing MS for $50,000. The whole thing is clearly some dude hoping to make a couple of grand out of an out of court settlement and a firm of lawyers looking to make a name for themselves by representing him. Inevitably MS will show that somewhere in the reams of fine-print that comes with the thing it says "Don't shake your console while it's running", this'll get laughed out of court and the guy will end up bankrupt when MS's lawyers bill drops on his doormat.

American litigation culture remains as ridiculous and hilarious to the rest of the world as it always has, a few Sony fantards jump up and down over how early models of the 360 would break your games if you shook them, something entirely common knowledge to everyone, ever and that's it. Fuck it, even if they pay him the $50,000 that's about 4 seconds profit for MS.

The only surprising thing about this is that the idiot lawyers didn't press him to pursue a class action case, involving a load of people who've suffered the same problem. The payout would have been higher and the case a shitload more high profile. They'd probably still have lost but would have got a load more publicity out of it and be more likely to actually get their fees paid. Fucking noobs.

I was speaking idiomatically.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:06 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 01:06 PM #14 of 64
The thing is, yeah Microsoft should have possibly made more to inform users that moving the console whilst a disc is spinning was likely to result in scratching, since they knew about it. However, you only need to apply a small amount of common sense to work out that perhaps re-orienting a powered on console with a disc spinning inside is probably not going to end well for any of the parts involved. I wonder how many people would happily stick a disc in a PC and then fuck about with standing it up and laying it down whilst all powered on? My money is on not many.

So yeah, this definitely smacks of someone thinking they can make themselves a quick buck, and some idiot lawyers along for the ride/publicity.

Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:36 AM #15 of 64
Quote:
It's Microsoft fucking over its customers for no obvious reason
Would've cost Microsoft 50 cents more per console to add rubber padding so this wouldn't happen. And apparently increased load times. So at least they've got some reason I guess. But hey, that pretty much sums up the 360 console though.

Most amazing jew boots
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:39 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 02:39 PM #16 of 64
But hey, that pretty much sums up the 360 console though.
Say what now? Care to explain what you mean by that.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:44 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 03:44 PM #17 of 64
I'd hardly call plumping for shorter loading times for the vast majority of the userbase who've had no disc scratching issues over protecting the stupid fucks who like to play catch with their consoles while they're switched on a dumb decision. Every time I watch the Little Big Planet loading screen I'm less tempted to buy a PS3, short loading times for everyone are definitely worth fucking up a few dickhead's games for.

And anyway, after the first disc got fucked, why did he stick two more in rather than take the thing back to the shop for a replacement?

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:48 AM #18 of 64
how many people would happily stick a disc in a PC and then fuck about with standing it up and laying it down whilst all powered on? My money is on not many.
Isn't the entire argument for console platforms over the PC about how simple and idiot-proof they are? Sure, your average PC gamer wouldn't pick up their machine and shake it like a maraca, but they wouldn't pay $10/month for the "privilege" of playing their games online either. Of course, even if I did decide to pick up my rig and throw it across the room, I'd be able to replace whatever parts I broke, whereas your only recourse with the Xbox is to send the whole thing back to MS and wait a goddamn month for them to send you a new one (if they even decide to do that).

Cue the tired argument about how a PC gaming rig is so expensive and also look at my 72 inch screen I bought to play Halo on

Addendum: Ha ha, loading screens

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Dec 18, 2008 at 09:54 AM.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:50 AM #19 of 64
Quote:
Say what now? Care to explain what you mean by that.
Issues that could've been corrected before the launch of the console but weren't. Not really complaining though. Maybe not the most reliable hardware but I still play it more than my wii or ps3.

And I agree with shin, it wasn't that bad of a decision on MS' part. Moving what's essentially a computer while it's running a disc is never a good idea. But then again MS should've known people were still going to do it.

Quote:
Isn't the entire argument for console platforms over the PC about how simple and idiot-proof they are?
Pretty sure people don't mean it in that context. Rather you don't have to take it apart, upgrade it or fiddle with settings and system requirements. Nothing is ever idiot-proof when it comes to electronics.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:03 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 03:03 PM #20 of 64
Isn't the entire argument for console platforms over the PC about how simple and idiot-proof they are? Sure, your average PC gamer wouldn't pick up their machine and shake it like a maraca, but they wouldn't pay $10/month for the "privilege" of playing their games online either.
Spoken like a true PC-gamer fanboy.

Of course, all those World of Warcraft players, and City of Heros players, and Warhammer players, they sure don't pay $10 a month to play their online games do they.

Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:05 AM #21 of 64
Also, a year has twelve months in it. So it's more like 4 to 5 dollars a month. Which isn't a whole lot of money, you know.

Most amazing jew boots
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:11 AM #22 of 64
Of course, all those World of Warcraft players, and City of Heros players, and Warhammer players, they sure don't pay $10 a month to play their online games do they.
I'm sorry, are you comparing a subscription fee for individual MMOs to a console-inherent fee that applies to every game on the platform? That's cute.

Besides, MMOs are increasingly a platform-independent plague. Don't pretend otherwise.

Exactly what am I a fanboy of, here? Intel?

(I might be off about the price of Live; I went to Xbox.com to research it but the site was, let's say, a little information-poor)

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:14 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 03:14 PM #23 of 64
I'm sorry, are you comparing a subscription fee for individual MMOs to a console-inherent fee that applies to every game on the platform? That's cute.
I'm comparing gamers choosing to pay a regular fee to play their games online to gamers choosing to pay a regular fee to play their games online. It's a big leap I grant you, I don't know what I was thinking.

FELIPE NO
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:17 AM #24 of 64
You are a silly man and you are drawing a silly comparison. I will improve it for you, so that you may cease the silly attempt at indignation you are attempting.

Say you have a DVD player. Now, let's propose, in theory, that some DVDs require a fee to watch. Well, that's kind of dumb, who would play to watch their DVD? They already paid for it. But some people are willing to pay! Well, that's their business.

Say you have another DVD player, which insists that you pay whenever you put in ANY movie, even if they aren't tagged as pay-to-play! That's strange, isn't it? Why would you buy that player?

Oh, well, it has a black matte finish, I guess that's pretty kool

(PS: Rage more, it amuses me to be called a "fanboy" when I imply that subscribing to your own hardware is silly)

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Dec 18, 2008 at 10:20 AM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:25 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 03:25 PM #25 of 64
How about I update your little analogy there so it's actually accurate.

Your DVDs have different elements of content, there's the film and then there's the extra.

The first DVD player would accept two kinds of DVD. The first DVDs wouldn't require any extra payment to play, they would happily play the film and extras all the time. However, the second kind of DVD would require regular payment to watch either the film or the extras.

The second DVD player would accept online one kind of DVD and it would always play the film, regardless. You'd even have access to some of the extras. However, to get full access to the extras you'd need to pay a regular fee.

See the dumb assumption you're making here Pang is that I agree with MS charging for Xbox Live Gold. I don't, not really, I think it's kind of cheeky. However, I wasn't the one who made the claim that PC gamers wouldn't be so dumb as to pay regularly for the privilege of playing their games online. Try grasping the actual point before you get on your high horse.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [News] MS sued over idiots misusing their consoles