Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Starwars
Throatwobbler Mangrove

Member 1266

Level 8.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:18 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 05:18 PM #451 of 1376
In other news, the new Slayer album have leaked.

Listening to it now, and meh. It's not downright bad, it's just boring as fuck if you ask me. And their lyrics feel old old old.

A big snore of an album.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Cadenza
-

Member 5445

Level 5.11

Apr 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:40 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 04:40 PM #452 of 1376
my Atreyu tee arrived in the post a couple of days ago

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
XtremeDJW
Chocobo

Member 3625

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:42 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 04:42 PM #453 of 1376
Originally Posted by Cadenza
my Atreyu tee arrived in the post a couple of days ago

Not something to brag about.

Most amazing jew boots
elevator
wannabe oneironaut

Member 4868

Level 4.76

Apr 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:22 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 06:22 PM #454 of 1376
^ it´s true.

Does anyone here listen to Gorguts? I´ve heard a few songs from Obscura and they are quite.. intriguing - if somewhat exhausting.

A lot of the guitar work simply sounds like noise but somehow the whole thing just works. I saw a video from guitar.com with the bassist and the guitarist and what they said gave me more of an insight to their philosophy behind the music. I will definitely get the whole of Obscura some day.

Oh and I know that they are split up.. what a pity!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:22 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 07:22 PM #455 of 1376
Originally Posted by Will
The only screamer I can listen to is Townsend. Dunno why.
Same went for me at first. It's because he's so damned melodic and controlled even when he's growling/screaming.

FELIPE NO
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 08:55 PM #456 of 1376
Originally Posted by Vampiro
Gigantour sucks this year. Opeth is the only good band on the bill, with Sanctity and Into Eternity being somewhat decent. Arch Enemy is fine, but I've seen them before and their shows are lame. I guess it's just a really disappointing tour, especially when I had high hopes for it.
Gigantour sucks more because of Opeth. Its only saving grace is Overkill, and I've already seen them so I really don't care. The rest is complete shit.

Originally Posted by Krelian
Same went for me at first. It's because he's so damned melodic and controlled even when he's growling/screaming.
Melodic growling? That's silly. Controlled, however, I can understand. Schuldiner, Cavalera, Nick Holmes, Abbath, David Vincent, Wojtek Lisicki, Fernando Ribeiro... now those are awesome, controlled growlers.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:19 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 11:19 AM #457 of 1376
To me, Abbath sounds somewhat like a (frostbitten, aha) lizard. But I'm pretty sure that's why I like his vocals.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:57 PM #458 of 1376
Well, earlier Immortal vocals (and earlier Immortal period) was pretty chaotic. But his voice sounds actually clear (by growling standards) and semi-understandable on At the Heart of Winter and later.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:15 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 12:15 PM #459 of 1376
Yeah, I kind of noticed that. The English seemed to improve a bit too, although I can't help but laugh whenever I see the track title "Tragedies Blows at Horizon". Oh maaaan.

Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:11 AM #460 of 1376
I've gotta say, I've never liked Immortal's vocals. It was one of the low points of their music for me. Maybe I'm just spoiled when it comes to better black metal vocalists, since I used to like them, but I've lost my love for Immortal.

Radical
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 709

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:31 AM #461 of 1376
I've got a question. I read and hear people saying that Avenged Sevenfold is not metal. This is usually accompanied by a seeming dislike for the band. It doesn't bother me that they aren't classified as metal by most, but why is it that every metal fan seems to dislike Avenged? And what makes them not metal?

I was speaking idiomatically.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 01:03 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 12:03 AM #462 of 1376
Originally Posted by Radical
I've got a question. I read and hear people saying that Avenged Sevenfold is not metal. This is usually accompanied by a seeming dislike for the band. It doesn't bother me that they aren't classified as metal by most, but why is it that every metal fan seems to dislike Avenged? And what makes them not metal?
In a lot of ways, Avenged Sevenfold stands as a pop-culture culmination of everything many metalheads dislike about the genre. They are a figurehead for an entire front of bastardized "metalcore" which is an absolute afront to the works of bands like Biohazard and Nuclear Assault.

They parade names like M. Shadows, The Reverend, and Synyster Gates with a complete and utter lack of a sense of irony. Synyster Gates? Is this fucking AFI?

Also, they played that daylong shitfest faux shoe commerical, the Warped Tour.

If you want to get technical, then yes, they are a metal band. They just fucking suck -- and the metal subculture rejects things that suck by saying they're "not metal".

Mainstream pop music has been edging towards more "extreme" fair over the years. Innocent pop music had been milked. Sexual deviancy was an issue in the 80's. The nineties saw a return of the innocent pop group, but this was rejected for more fake rebellion in the name of Good Charlotte. Avenged Sevenfold is just the next step in the shitty pop music evolutionary scale. Though, the term evolutionary would usually imply things are getting better.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:43 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 03:43 PM #463 of 1376
Originally Posted by Vampiro
I've gotta say, I've never liked Immortal's vocals. It was one of the low points of their music for me. Maybe I'm just spoiled when it comes to better black metal vocalists, since I used to like them, but I've lost my love for Immortal.
I dunno, I *loved* the vox on their final album, particularly on "Beyond The North Waves"... Different strokes I guess.

FELIPE NO
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:12 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 08:12 PM #464 of 1376
I certainly would classify Avenged Sevenfold as metal, though I do also enjoy them (oh know I have terrible taste in music!). Pop or not, the guitarists have quite a bit of technical proficiency, which of course people would debate whether or not they can write songs.

Of course Avenged Sevenfold using psuedo names is nothing new. Just ask Immortal, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Mortiis and just about any other black metal band out there. Some of them are pretty bad and lame as well. Necrobutcher? Give me a break.

Though if it's done in a tongue in cheek way, then it's more enjoyable.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:20 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 09:20 PM #465 of 1376
Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
Of course Avenged Sevenfold using psuedo names is nothing new. Just ask Immortal, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Mortiis and just about any other black metal band out there. Some of them are pretty bad and lame as well. Necrobutcher? Give me a break.
To me, the BM bands with ridiculous names is just part of the package. Since everything in the black metal world is just so extremely over the top, it fits. When Avenged Sevenfold does it on the other hand, it goes from ridiculous, over the top satanic hilarity to a bunch of scrawny Hot-Topic kids who don't get the joke.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:51 PM #466 of 1376
I would not call Avenged Sevenfold metal, and it's not because they suck. Plenty of metal bands suck, after all.
These hipster douches just took the worst parts of Gothencore, emo and modern rock, watered it down, and shat out their sonic AIDS. The fact that they look more like faggots than the Poison "guys" ever did doesn't help.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
To me, the BM bands with ridiculous names is just part of the package. Since everything in the black metal world is just so extremely over the top, it fits. When Avenged Sevenfold does it on the other hand, it goes from ridiculous, over the top satanic hilarity to a bunch of scrawny Hot-Topic kids who don't get the joke.
I agree. The black metal nicknames just pursue the Venom tradition. It's often silly, but it can still work. Plenty of times it's tongue-in-cheek as well.
When pseudo-core bands do it, it's more insulting than anything else.

Last edited by Morrigan; Jul 26, 2006 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 03:24 PM Local time: Jul 31, 2006, 08:24 PM #467 of 1376
Some pseudonyms I've seen in the metal world are just a bit fucking cool.

Trickster G Rex for the win.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2006, 07:27 PM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 08:27 AM #468 of 1376
Whoa, don't let this thread die! Anyways, I downloaded Blind Guardian's leaked album few days ago.. and man does it rock. Scourged the internet some Doro and Falkenbach (who's 2005 album sound a bit different from their 2003 one). This is a happy week for my music folder.

Also, I need my viking/folk metal fix. Sup niki. Gimme names.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2006, 08:14 PM #469 of 1376
Have you checked out the following yet?
  • Talamyus - As Long As It Flows
  • Hantaoma - Malombra
  • Ancient Rites - Fatherland / Dim Carcosa / Rubicon
  • Runic - Liar Flags
  • Wapenspraak En Drinkgelag - Onder de Banier van het Gewei
  • Nerthus - Black Medieval Art
  • Wuthering Heights - Far From the Madding Crowd
  • Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns / NeChrist / Lunar Poetry / Weltanschauung

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Morrigan; Aug 9, 2006 at 08:18 PM.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2006, 09:26 PM Local time: Aug 9, 2006, 07:26 PM #470 of 1376
Originally Posted by Morrigan
Have you checked out the following yet?
  • Talamyus - As Long As It Flows
  • Hantaoma - Malombra
  • Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns / NeChrist / Lunar Poetry / Weltanschauung

I have heard stuff from those bands and I like Talamyus. Don't have any of the bands' albums however. Well I have one of Hantaoma downloaded, but I really dont' count those of ownerships.

By the way, for people who download metal albums, do you just download it or do you intend to purchase it at a later date? Do you count the downloaded albums you have, or only go by physical albums?

I personally just count my physical albums, however there is a website, Rate Your Music I believe is what it's called, that has categories of ownership and MP3s fall in line there. Otherwise, it's just phsycial albums. On the issue of downloading, sure I have some downloaded but I do intend to buy them when I get enough money. And in fact I have done that with Old Man's Child. I bought the very album I had downloaded, got rid of the original MP3s. I'll do it again with other bands as well.

knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2006, 09:43 PM Local time: Aug 9, 2006, 08:43 PM #471 of 1376
By the way, for people who download metal albums, do you just download it or do you intend to purchase it at a later date? Do you count the downloaded albums you have, or only go by physical albums?
I buy as much music as I can, and have a collection of CD's, tapes, and vinyl, but there's just too much good music to actually have a copy of everything. If I had a physical copy of everything in my entire music collection I would need four or five rooms of shelving and it would cost a few hundred thousand dollars. Not to mention all of the stuff available on the internet that's nearly impossible to find actual copies of, especially some of the more obscure 7" and 12" singles.

That being said, I do count the stuff I have downloaded in my collection. I'm a bit of an archivist to be truthful, so I have different numbers for different parts of my collection, but I consider it as a whole generally.

FELIPE NO
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:00 AM Local time: Aug 11, 2006, 12:00 AM #472 of 1376
ah thanks Morrigan, I have Nerthus and Wuthering Heights already, fucking awesome. Gonna get those bands you mentioned, and does Amon Amarth belong to the same genre as these bands?

Most amazing jew boots
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:19 AM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 10:19 AM #473 of 1376
Originally Posted by vemp
Gonna get those bands you mentioned, and does Amon Amarth belong to the same genre as these bands?
Amon Amarth has lots of nordic themed lyrics, but their music doesn't really fall into the viking/folk metal category. I believe most people categorize them as a death metal band.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:17 PM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 10:17 AM #474 of 1376
Melodic death metal is more to what Amon Amarth is.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:49 PM #475 of 1376
Yes, Amon Amarth's viking influence is purely lyrical. Personally I find them pretty boring.

I buy as much music as I can find. Money is not too much of a problem except for rare OOP shit, availability is usually what slows me down. All the mp3s I share on my FTP are my own album rips, anyway (I used to have a few MP3 albums on there but to make space and sort it out better, I moved them to a different partition).

I would never count having an album as mp3 as an "ownership", unless the album is exceptionally rare and impossible to find in physical format (see: Anacrusis - Suffering Hour, for example. I'd still like the CD, but the band did offer their entire discography on mp3 themselves anyway).

Last edited by Morrigan; Aug 10, 2006 at 10:52 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)