Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Playing SEQ from PS1 games?

Spikey
Sierra Music Quester

Member 13178

Level 13.35

Sep 2006

Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:16 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2007, 12:46 AM #1 of 12
Playing SEQ from PS1 games?

Hey folks,

I have some SEQ files from a PS1 game I like the music of. My question is, how can you play a SEQ file outside the game?

There is a SEQ->MIDI converter, but it's not very good.

Basically:
1. If there is a good SEQ->MIDI converter; or
2. If someone knows how to play SEQ files outside the game,

Please, please let me know!

Regards,
- Spike

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Taisai
Amorph

Member 8563

Level 16.22

Jun 2006

Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:45 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2007, 12:15 PM #2 of 12
Just out of curiosity, what do you think is a good SEQ to MID converter? I normally use Pgconv (for Sony driver) or VGMtrans (for Akao driver), but I can see few problems in conversion, aside of instrumental info (this is a matter of course as PS SEQ files don't obey general MIDI standards' program number).

If this is a silly question, please feel free to ignore me. I'd also like to know more.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Spikey
Sierra Music Quester

Member 13178

Level 13.35

Sep 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 02:52 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2007, 06:22 PM #3 of 12
I haven't tried either of those

How do you tell which driver your game is using?

I've only tried SEQ2MID and it's not very good- sure, I get MIDI data, but multiple instruments have become one MIDI channel in some cases and in others individual instruments are fine. The instruments themselves are all wrong too, and only some tracks have proper volume/panning/etc.

Not a silly question at all, you obviously know more than me

- Spike

How ya doing, buddy?
Taisai
Amorph

Member 8563

Level 16.22

Jun 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:17 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2007, 11:47 PM #4 of 12
I’m a junior psf/psf2 ripper, so I’m sure what I’m telling you are full of incorrectness.

How do you tell which driver your game is using?
I don’t know. Perhaps most PSX games use a standard Sony driver which Pgconv and SEQ2MIDI support. When developed by SQUARE, however, a PSX game most likely uses the custom driver made either by Minoru Akao or Hidenori Suzuki. The games using the latter driver are rather a few; FFT, Xenogears and some. KOUDELKA (developed by Sacnoth) also could use his driver if music is sequenced.

but multiple instruments have become one MIDI channel in some cases
I haven't encountered the same problem, except when a SEQ uses more than 17 channels, and it's a matter of course, too (as you know, generally, MIDI hardware / software has only 16 channel).

When I'd like to get a MID file from a SEQ, I normally use the following. Of them, I think VGMtrans is only for psf2 (PS2 emulated format), so it’s irrelevant to your topic, although my previous post sillily referred to it.

Akao2mid - for PSX Akao games. I forgot how to use this, since it's basically underdeveloped.
Pgconv – for PSX in general
Pgconv2 – for PS2 in general
VGMtrans – for PS2 SQUARE ENIX game in general (from psf2 files). Underdeveloped.

When music is sequenced inside the PSX, beside a SEQ, it requires 2 other files. One is a VB that is ADPCM instruments date and the other is a VH that is header (there also could be VAG, VAB or SEP files, but I’m not familiar with them. They also are sequence or instrument files, after all). Therefore, I’ve thought it’s impossible to play properly a SEQ alone, and haven’t minded conversion problems if any.

I hope a senior psf/psf2 ripper gives us a more helpful and correct lecture.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Attached Files
File Type: rar akao.rar (122.4 KB, 120 views)
Spikey
Sierra Music Quester

Member 13178

Level 13.35

Sep 2006

Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:30 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2007, 08:00 PM #5 of 12
I think you know a lot

Just on Pgconv, is there an English version of it? Or can you explain how to use it? I get a lot of ? (Japanese not converting to English) which isn't very helpful.

In case it helps, the game I'm trying to get music from is Uchuu no Rendevous-~RAMA~.

- Spike

I was speaking idiomatically.
Taisai
Amorph

Member 8563

Level 16.22

Jun 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 06:23 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2007, 08:53 AM #6 of 12
Just on Pgconv, is there an English version of it? Or can you explain how to use it? I get a lot of ?
I don’t think it’s so difficult. Just press アナライズ (analyze) and select the files you’d like to convert. Then, press コンバート (convert) and select the .clg files you just got.

That said, if your purpose is to listen to the game’s sequenced music properly rather than to know how to play SEQ, I doubt Pgconv would help you much. As previously said, although a SEQ format is presumably so much based on a standard MID, it still obeys the instrumental bank set up by composers/programmers. Besides Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth for certain, any multi-timbre synthesizer/sampler couldn’t probably play SEQ as exactly as the PSX sound processor does, because of a lack of intended instrument samples.

In short, if you still want to listen to a SEQ file alone, I don't know. If you just want to listen to sequenced tracks the game has, however, I recommend you ask someone to make a PSF set for it. I could manage to if you give me SEQ and BD (BD or HD are often side by side with SEQ in a game’s directory), but I’m only an apprentice PSF ripper who just have succeeded in creating some files, and I can’t assure you of my commitment for it.

Not a silly question at all, you obviously know more than me
Based on your posts in general, I could hardly believe I know anything more than you. That's why I suspect I'm posting something too proverbial for you.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Hoedagona
Wark!

Member 31228

Level 1.10

Jul 2008

Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:47 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2008, 04:47 PM #7 of 12
Please Post (Pgconv.rar) Rapidshare Download Link.
as reply in this thread.

FELIPE NO
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 02:37 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 08:37 PM #8 of 12
iirc the only seq2mid util that exists is for saturn sequenced tunes, not playstation.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:56 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 11:56 PM #9 of 12
And which utility would that be, evilboris?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2008, 03:04 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2008, 09:04 PM #10 of 12
One that sucks ass because it leaves out instruments, misses out loop points, and its overall useless because you need a soundfont capable machine/player to pair it with the sample data - and even than there is a good chance it will sound bad because its missing the DSP code and the proper volume values.
Plus, the SSF ripping tools are much more accurate.

How ya doing, buddy?
Ravich
Wark!

Member 35356

Level 1.00

Feb 2010

Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:32 AM Local time: Feb 13, 2010, 10:32 PM #11 of 12
Hi everyone. I'm looking for a way to convert PSF files to MIDI (PSX games), and someone mentioned pgconv. Where can I download it?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Hoedagona
Wark!

Member 31228

Level 1.10

Jul 2008

Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:37 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2010, 01:37 PM #12 of 12
Here is it:
PgConvert

Use awave studio for manipulating seq files from midi files!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Hoedagona; Feb 12, 2011 at 11:33 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Playing SEQ from PS1 games?