Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How do I disable the touchpad on my laptop?

Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:53 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 12:53 PM #1 of 6
How do I disable the touchpad on my laptop?

OK, so I just recently reformatted my laptop and reinstalled Windows Vista, now I just need to know how to disable the touchpad. Normally, if I connect a mouse into it, there'd be a popup that shows up saying that there's another pointing device connected onto this machine and there'd be some kind of window showing some options or something that would let me disable the touchpad. Now it doesn't do that.

I can't remember how to disable the touchpad. Can someone help me out here? If this is any useful information, I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
MuppeTFuckeR
Chocobo

Member 4359

Level 9.00

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:47 PM #2 of 6
Go to control panel and click on Mouse properties icon. Now click the device Select tab and check "Disable Touch Pad when USB Pointing Device is present.".

There's nowhere I can't reach.
llmercll
Banned

Member 31986

Level 8.89

Oct 2008

Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:24 AM #3 of 6
it might also be a "security" setting in your BIOS. on the G1S it is, and can be disabled that way.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2008, 08:29 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2008, 02:29 PM #4 of 6
Or you could hit the touchpad a few times with a brick. That tends to slow them down a little.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Oct 28, 2008, 03:17 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2008, 12:17 PM #5 of 6
Try going to the manufacturer site and downloading drivers for it. That's what I had to do for my Dell laptop to get the touchpad control panel where I could disable it when an external mouse was hooked in.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:39 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2008, 07:39 AM #6 of 6
To permanently disable the Touchpad, llmercll's solution is correct. Boot into BIOS, and tick the setting which disables Touchpad (usually called a PS/2 Device) whenever an external mouse has been plugged in.

A Windows alternative would be to disable all "PS/2" devices in Device Manager. I don't have Vista, so your mileage may differ.

Kaleb's software recommendation will work as well. Get the latest Synaptics drivers so you can disable your touchpad there.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > How do I disable the touchpad on my laptop?