Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Can't access router

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2011, 10:46 PM #1 of 6
Can't access router

And by that I mean I cannot connect to the router through http://192.168.1.1

When I would reboot the router and it boots up, I can access it... for about an hour or two. Then it goes back to not connecting. The PCs that are connected to it have access to the internet, unless I try to repair a connection or renew my ip through ipconfig /renew and it will give me an error it cannot connect to the IP.

I noticed it starting this up after the new PS3 firmware update, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence. But the error I would get is that of a DNS error trying to connect to the PSN. Which, again, unplugging then plugging the router back in will cause it to work... just temporarily.

Also I found it odd that when I did an initial ipconfig, it would show my old time warner account as the hostname. I did a force reboot of the router and have no idea how to change the hostname to the current ISP.

Anyways, short of getting a new router, anyway I can fix this?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by dagget; May 21, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2011, 09:28 AM Local time: May 23, 2011, 06:28 AM #2 of 6
Reset router (pin-tip hole in the back of the router, hold for 12-15 seconds, approx, may require having power off before you start holding. This will reset it back to factory settings and may fix any issues with bad/corrupt configs. Outside of that, you could try a firmware upgrade/downgrade. If those don't work, guess what you're buying?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2011, 03:06 PM #3 of 6
Already tried to force reset :P Got a shiny new encryption code, etc. Still never worked

I've never had to upgrade the firmware, so I'm all thumbs on that. Router is Linksys WRT54G2 V1.0, I believe.

I'd probably be better off getting a new one lol. As long as it is a Linksys, it'll still be compatible with my current wireless cards?

Most amazing jew boots

LIAR

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2011, 03:09 PM Local time: May 23, 2011, 12:09 PM #4 of 6
Wireless isn't picky on brand, more on 802.11 type. Are the cards b? g? n? a? Makes a difference in how you buy the router.

You could also try installing DD-WRT on your linksys and see if that revives it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2011, 04:03 PM #5 of 6
I can't remember, I think all of our cards are N-type.

Just frustrating that I lose access to connecting to the router after about an hour or so. Which makes me wonder if something's denying me access or if I should just go ahead and get another one.

The error I'd get is either DNS or "can not connect to DCHP" or something like that.

Kos mentioned something about that DD-WRT but I dunno how all that would work or anything.

I was speaking idiomatically.

LIAR

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2011, 09:36 AM Local time: May 24, 2011, 06:36 AM #6 of 6
DD-WRT is an alternate firmware for varying residential type routers. The site has instructions on how to put it on your router of choice and explains the differences between each flavor of it.

As far as the DNS and DHCP errors go, typically your home router is going to handle both of these, so if you can't contact it for one, you can't contact it for the other.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Tags
use firefox

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Can't access router