Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Offline Personal Wiki Software?

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 03:25 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 01:25 PM #1 of 10
Offline Personal Wiki Software?

I'm attempting to make a mythos/guide to a story-world that I have developed, and I like the Wiki Software used on many sites (Wikipedia being the most obvious example), but all of the searches for an offline wiki lead me to online, server based stuff which is all entirely greek to me (Seriously, I know more about how to fly a commercial airplane then how to get stuff onto a internet server), and I only need the wiki for myself.

The closest and only thing I've found is a program called Notebook, which is nice, but the entire thing is bareboned and only supports GIFs. >_>

Can you help me out, GFF? I don't need a giant wiki, just something small that I can work on offline and on my computer. It would be great if I could even just use templates and fill in information at my leisure... but right now I'll settle for pretty much anything.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 03:33 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 09:33 PM #2 of 10
You could install something like XAMPP on your machine and then just run the wiki software on your own computer and browse it like it was on the internet. That might be a little tricky, but there's quite a few guides on using XAMPP if you look around a little on that site.

Otherwise, I don't really know of anything else similar to what you're after.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 07:41 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 05:41 PM #3 of 10
If you had a Mac, you could just get this widget. But, I'm going to guess you don't have a Mac. Which is a shame.

Have access to one someplace?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:50 PM #4 of 10
The best solution, I think, would get a WAMP setup (roph's suggestion is good, I suggest EasyPHP.)

It'll install Apache, MySQL and PHP, and set them up for you, so you don't have to do the hard work. Then it's just as easy as getting Mediawiki or whatever, putting it in the www root, and setting the wiki up.

It's very easy to do.

Originally Posted by Cless
If you had a Mac, you could just get this widget. But, I'm going to guess you don't have a Mac. Which is a shame.

Have access to one someplace?
No offense here Cless, but, pull it out your ass.

I've personally grown tired of this shit again. It's cool that you like the Mac platform and everything, but it does no good when you're not being particularly helpful.

How ya doing, buddy?
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:47 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 10:47 PM #5 of 10
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
No offense here Cless, but, pull it out your ass.

I've personally grown tired of this shit again. It's cool that you like the Mac platform and everything, but it does no good when you're not being particularly helpful.
Odd. You know, I'm looking all over your post for a moderator tag, but interestingly enough, I'm not finding one. Perhaps you should chill the fuck out. OP didn't mention if he had a Mac or not, so I suggested something. The end.

I was speaking idiomatically.
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 05:24 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 03:24 AM #6 of 10
Uh, no need to fight guys. Anyway, just to clarify I have WinXP on a Laptop.
I'll try out your suggestions though, Merv and Roph.

Yeah not that I have anything against Mac or anything, but I'm a major gamer d00d, so Macs were kinda out of the running

Most amazing jew boots
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:13 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 01:13 PM #7 of 10
Both of your guy's suggestions were nice, but they were so bloated... Notebook is going to have to work for me for right now.

FELIPE NO
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:30 PM #8 of 10
Try WikidPad.

http://www.download.com/WikidPad/300...ml?tag=lst-0-1

No idea how it is, but I found it by entering 'wiki' in the search box.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Apr 29, 2006, 09:32 AM Local time: Apr 29, 2006, 10:32 PM #9 of 10
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/f...ter-126052.php

You could get a Ruby implementation instead of Apache/PHP.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 01:05 PM #10 of 10
If you're using Windows XP Pro, it's pretty easy to install IIS (Add/Remove Windows Components) and then use a PHP installer for it and then just install MySQL for windows. That's my personal choice of a local webserver for testing. Apache and such are fine but a bit more complicated. What I just described is mouse clicking at worst.

Then installing the wiki of your choice would probably involve you unarchiving it to C:/wwwroot and performing whatever configuration that is necessary to getting it started.

But yes, ideally there'd be software that didn't require a server and database. However, your idea for plotting your story is pretty interesting.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Offline Personal Wiki Software?