Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

S?ecter
You're a woman, I'm a machine

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:18 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 07:18 PM #126 of 1376
Originally Posted by Morrigan
Though, I must thank you for stirring the conversation in another direction than something like System of a Down. Let's keep it this way.
Well sorry...

Anyways, question for the Winnipeg folks here, know of any good metal shows coming up soon? I (regretfully) missed the Opeth show, so I'm in need of a good metal show to go to soon.

Most amazing jew boots
"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - W.B. Yeats

Nothing on top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:32 PM #127 of 1376
Bollocks. Dark Tranquillity's "Mine is the Grandeur..." intro to "...Of Melancholy Burning" is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.
Like everything else, it's not the actual instrument, but the use of it. Same with keyboards in metal, violins in metal, symphony in metal, orchestras in metal, female vocals in metal, etc. You can have gay-ass shit like Sonata Arctica (crap keyboards) or Opeth (crap acoustic parts) or Nightwish's Once (crap symphony, crap female vocals), but you can also have Summoning (awesome keyboards), Dark Tranquillity's first two albums (awesome acoustic parts), Therion (awesome symphony, female vocals), and so on.

Double Post:
Though, I must thank you for stirring the conversation in another direction than something like System of a Down. Let's keep it this way.
That is mainly why i did it, i was getting sick of hearing system of a down being talked about in a metal thread, when they aren't really all that metal and the acoustic rant was mostly a jab at the fans of system of a down. I'm also a hypocrite, as i delved back into my metal collection and their is some stuff like ulver's " bergatt" album that i do like that does incorporate acoustic work. I shall dig out my Dark Tranquility stuff and check out that song.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by S?ecter
Well sorry...

Anyways, question for the Winnipeg folks here, know of any good metal shows coming up soon? I (regretfully) missed the Opeth show, so I'm in need of a good metal show to go to soon.
The Arsis North american tour is coming up and i know they are playing some dates in canada, if you get a chance, check them out, as they put on an amazing live show. Just be warned though, they don't play any acoustic stuff like opeth or System of a down.

Cryptopsy is also playing in TO in april, they are always awesome life as i saw them last year with Suffocation and Aborted and that was a fucking brutal show.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Iwata; Mar 13, 2006 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:32 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 07:32 PM #128 of 1376
Originally Posted by S?ecter
Nothing real soon, apart from mediocre local fare. Ministry is here June 5.

The new Arsis tour is only hitting Ottawa, Quebec City, and Hamilton in Canada. Hopefully they head west next time.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by knkwzrd; Mar 13, 2006 at 08:35 PM.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:48 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 05:48 PM #129 of 1376
I love acoustic guitars in metal. It's great hearing bands that can use both styles of guitar and make it sound to the best of their ability. A lot of metal bands that I have heard (In Flames, Dream Theater, Metallica..ect) all have used acoustic guitars in a lot of their songs, either instrumental parts or whatnot, they all sounded quite amazing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 09:08 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 08:08 PM #130 of 1376
On the acoustic issue, I think that really good acts let the heaviness come across in the writing, and the instrument doesn't matter as much. For instance, jazz trio The Bad Plus cover a few Sabbath tunes, and they are just as heavy when performed by an standup bass, piano and drums as by the original electric fourpiece. It's really shows the strength of the source material. Also, for a complete schooling on how acoustic guitars work in metal, see Candlemass' Epicus Doomicus Metallicus.

How ya doing, buddy?
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 09:52 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 08:52 PM #131 of 1376
Originally Posted by Iwata
That is mainly why i did it, i was getting sick of hearing system of a down being talked about in a metal thread, when they aren't really all that metal and the acoustic rant was mostly a jab at the fans of system of a down. I'm also a hypocrite, as i delved back into my metal collection and their is some stuff like ulver's " bergatt" album that i do like that does incorporate acoustic work. I shall dig out my Dark Tranquility stuff and check out that song.
Ok so this probably isn't the greatest post to use this response to, but i didn't feel like going and finding your original statement.

You don't like acustic guitar in metal? does this transfer over to piano and such other sounds? I would say those instruments, Piano especially, add so much to metal, which is probably why i like Dream Theater so much.

I think it's healthy for a band to do some ballads, or acustic songs, or they end up getting really repetitive and lose me as a member of their audience.

EDIT: fixed some spelling stuff cause knkwzrd wouldn't shut up about it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Helloween; Mar 13, 2006 at 10:00 PM.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:11 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 08:11 PM #132 of 1376
Sweet Arsis is coming to Phoenix with Necrophagist and Alarum. I checked out Alarum and liked what I heard. An interesting jazz/metal fusion band. And Cattle Decapitation just sucks ass.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 03:01 AM #133 of 1376
Here is the latest Arsis release if anyone's interested.

Arsis - A Diamond for Disease ( 2005, Willowtip, Metal )

Track Listing:

1. A Diamond for Disease 12:52
2. Roses on White Lace 4:17
3. The Promise of Never 2:51

Overview:

"The nice part about a full length is that a band has a lot of room to breathe and explore, expand their sound, build a connection to the listener and in some instances, when they hit a rough patch there is the possibility to smooth things over by the next song. An EP on the other hand, there is no time to waste and fans tend to be unforgiving when they shell out cash for usually not a whole lot of new material, since EP's (with a few expceptions) are notorious for throwaways and filler until the next album. Most labels tack on multimedia portions, live cuts, never before seen photos/artwork, everything but the kitchen sink to boost sales. It's nice though when an EP pulls through without all of the glitter and is gold by quality of its content alone, even when running time is not exactly plentiful. Arsis is the band, and "A Diamond For Disease" is such a release. Opening with the unwavering, absolutely stunning title track, Arsis sculpts a sonic masterpiece over 12 plus minutes, weaving through various genres against a strong backdrop of melodic, progressive death/thrash metal. This tune was originally composed for the Ballet Deviare in NYC and if you can get away from the traditional interpretations of the art (as is obvious that particular company does), it's not too difficult to envision this powerful epic syncing up with the delicate but timeless nature of ballet. This one offering justifies the price of the EP, but Arsis doesn't stop there. They rip their way through a cover of "Roses on White Lace" by Alice Cooper and truly make it their own. In recent years, there have been a few metal bands covering Mr. Shock Rocker turned Mr. Pro Golfer (most notably Children Of Bodom) but Arsis blow all contenders away. The final bit of brutal beauty on this gem is "The Promise Of Never" which is under three minutes but packs a lot of punch, and is kind of a nice yin to the raging yang of the the title track. Lyrically, both originals have words of weight and grace, and fit perfectly with the music, as does the artwork. Production is perfect. I don't know what else to say but to use that age old cliche of "this record is amazing" but damnit, it's so true with "A Diamond For Disease." What are you still reading this review for? Go out and buy this bands entire catalog. You won't regret it."

Another masterful peice of work from the dudes called Arsis

I was speaking idiomatically.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:06 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:06 PM #134 of 1376
Going to see Opeth with Dark Tranquillity and Devildriver (ugh) tomorrow. Going to be a great show!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:10 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:10 PM #135 of 1376
About halfway through the set when I saw this show, Dez Fafara tried to start a riot, and all the death metal fans told him to fuck off. It's a good show though overall if Opeth pulls off the same set.

FELIPE NO
Star Man Aevum
DWN037

Member 1020

Level 8.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:05 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 12:05 AM #136 of 1376
Whoo!

Dream Theater was quite the show. Pictures and information when I can get them developped.

JesperStromblad
Brazilian Jespão Putão

Member 2465

Level 1.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:41 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 11:41 AM #137 of 1376
Whoa, I'm back here at the Metal Thread...

Well... my news (not so 'new' now)... OPETH WILL FINALLY COME TO BRAZIL! (September/October)
Damn, I simply can't express how the fukkin hell I was waiting for their show!

And in 14th October (Sao Paulo), Live'n'Louder Festival w/ Black Label Society, Saxon, Nevermore, Primal Fear, Gotthard, After Forever... (BLS, Gotthard first visit here)

I couldn't imagine this year would be productive here... already played here The Gathering, and there will be Candlemass, Destruction and others... well, I hope I have money for all these concerts

Last edited by JesperStromblad; Mar 15, 2006 at 09:43 AM.
Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:40 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 08:40 PM #138 of 1376
Hey, the EP was great, Iwata. I hope they expand upon the progressive touches they've shown so far.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:10 PM #139 of 1376
As much as I loathe and despise both of these fallen hacks of musicians, I feel obliged to repost the speeches Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield made to induct Black fucking Sabbath into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as they are surprisingly good speeches and Black Sabbath alone is worth it:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=49600

Respect to the Creators!

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 03:57 AM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 01:57 AM #140 of 1376
Finally Sabbath gets the induction they deserve. And Blabbermouth posters are still fucking pussies.

Anyway, got back from an insanely awesome Opeth show! Dark Tranquillity opened up quite nicely with some songs from Damage Done, Character and a couple of their older albums. Good musicianship and good stage presence. I certainly can't complain, and I would like to see them again.

Devil Driver, whom I saw before with Opeth before, was on next. Jesus. If you put five human sized turds on stage, slapped them with instruments, I wouldn't know the difference. Devildriver is just a generic cash-in on the American metalcore craze. Dez was a cock gobbler for Coal Chamber and now he's an ass muncher in addition to his cock gobbliness. The riffs were overly repetitive and forgetable. Each song started with the same build up riff, verse, breakdown, the occasional pseudo solo, breakdown, breakdown and end. All the songs sounded the same and was incredibly boring. Good thing Opeth brightened up the show.

Opeth opened up with Ghost of Perdition and followed up with White Cluster. Mikael Adkerfeldt did a good job getting the crowd going, even adding a little humor, such as making the claim he wears a wig that's why he doesn't headbang much. They performed the Amen Corner, which was awesome to hear. I love the album version and the live version was just as awesome. Next I believe was Closure from Damnation which had a cool extended solo session before the ending motif. They performed a song from Orchid, Under the Weeping Moon, which while I enjoy on the album was so much better live. The next three songs were The Baying of the Hounds, The Grand Conjuration and The Drapery Falls. They performed an encore, after Mikael quizzed us on rock riff knowledge which was Deliverance.

Overall I enjoyed the set quite a bit. I was pleased with some of the older and lesser played live songs. However, I do wish they picked something else from Blackwater Park since they play the Drapery Falls all the time. I would've loved to hear Bleak live. Either, a very solid live show and one of my tops so far.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 06:34 PM #141 of 1376
I always refrain from reading the posts at Blabbermouth, because I don't want my IQ to suddenly drop at alarming rates.

DBCE Slayer
Witness the POWER!!!

Member 779

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:15 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 05:15 PM #142 of 1376
As much as I loathe and despise both of these fallen hacks of musicians, I feel obliged to repost the speeches Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield made to induct Black fucking Sabbath into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as they are surprisingly good speeches and Black Sabbath alone is worth it:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=49600

Respect to the Creators!
That speech was quite intreguing. Sabbath get the respect they deserve and finally get INDUCTED! Thanks for the url for the speech Morrigan.

Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:18 AM Local time: Mar 17, 2006, 07:18 PM #143 of 1376
So, like, have Sabbath been overlooked all this while?

Also, totally not metal but lol @ the Pistols.

FELIPE NO
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:57 PM #144 of 1376
No but it was about damn time they were inducted into any hall of fame, really.

Just got those from the used CD stores: Queensrÿche - s/t (for a whooping 7$ CAD) and Samael - Blood Ritual (original, not re-issue, I hope that's rare.. hehe).

knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:35 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 09:35 PM #145 of 1376
Anyone ever seen the movie "Rock n' Roll Nightmare" featuring Vancouver metal legend Thor? That's right, Jan-Mikl Thor, lead singer of Thor, who bent metal bars clenched in his teeth on stage. I've heard some awful reviews and some so-awful-it-kicked-ass reviews. It's long out of print, so getting myself a copy isn't much of an option.

On a side note, check out Thor's Only The Strong. One of the greatest metal albums of the eighties. "Let The Blood Run Red", indeed.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:49 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 01:49 AM #146 of 1376
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Anyone ever seen the movie "Rock n' Roll Nightmare" featuring Vancouver metal legend Thor? That's right, Jan-Mikl Thor, lead singer of Thor, who bent metal bars clenched in his teeth on stage. I've heard some awful reviews and some so-awful-it-kicked-ass reviews. It's long out of print, so getting myself a copy isn't much of an option.

On a side note, check out Thor's Only The Strong. One of the greatest metal albums of the eighties. "Let The Blood Run Red", indeed.

Never seen it, but I'm interested in the new metal documentary that's supposed to come out on DVD in a few months.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:48 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 07:48 AM #147 of 1376
Yeah I've heard about that. A theater here is actually giving it a run, supposedly.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:40 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 12:40 AM #148 of 1376
Heh, I remember the first time I heard of Devildriver. My friend made me listen to it, he said "DOOD THIS IS AWESOME SHIT", so I gave it a listen and after a few songs, I was like "LOL". Although I told him "yeah it's good" cause I don't want to offend him since while we were listening he was like banging his head in the air. Oh, this is the same friend who said it was kinda scary listening to Finntroll's music... WTF man.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:14 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 01:14 PM #149 of 1376
Originally Posted by vemp
Heh, I remember the first time I heard of Devildriver. My friend made me listen to it, he said "DOOD THIS IS AWESOME SHIT", so I gave it a listen and after a few songs, I was like "LOL". Although I told him "yeah it's good" cause I don't want to offend him since while we were listening he was like banging his head in the air. Oh, this is the same friend who said it was kinda scary listening to Finntroll's music... WTF man.

You either need to get new friends or stop humoring him.

S?ecter
You're a woman, I'm a machine

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:35 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 06:35 PM #150 of 1376
For sure, I have friends that listen to, get this, FALLOUT BOY, *cocks gun*, except I tell them what I think...

*Goes out to pop a cap*

"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - W.B. Yeats

Nothing on top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)