Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Zorro
I'll come up with something witty soon

Member 2506

Level 15.02

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:14 AM Local time: Apr 17, 2011, 01:14 PM #1326 of 1376
I sure do. Just not to the kind of Metal that's discussed here. ^^

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
~ Robert Wilensky ~
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:05 PM Local time: Apr 17, 2011, 11:05 AM #1327 of 1376
I sure do. Just not to the kind of Metal that's discussed here. ^^
Well then, talk about the kind of metal you do like to listen to!

FELIPE NO
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:17 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2011, 12:17 PM #1328 of 1376
I just listened to the new Amon Amarth album! It's good, although it could have used some experimenting on the sides. They tend to stick to the same formula on every album.

Anyways latest releases I've listened to include Moonsorrow's and Turisas' albums.
Oh, I have recently discovered Wolf, which is a great heavy metal band from Sweden.

Long live heavy metal!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Zorro

Member 2506

Level 15.02

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2011, 01:04 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2011, 08:04 PM #1329 of 1376
Well then, talk about the kind of metal you do like to listen to!
You kiddin'? The coyotes would rip me to pieces. *g*

Jam it back in, in the dark.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
~ Robert Wilensky ~
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:16 PM #1330 of 1376
I just scored a bunch of classic metal on vinyl and Im enjoying the hell out of it. Got:

Savatage - Sirens
Death Angel - Frolic Through the Park
Helloween - Keeper 1 and 2
Sabbath - Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules
Maiden - Piece of Mind (sexy picture disc, with brains being served at dinner...I have Seventh Son, Somewhere in Time, Powerslave and their first album coming later on)
Anthrax - Among the Living

Vemp: I love Wolf. They are like new school classic metal. Favorite song: Steelwinged Savage Reaper.

How ya doing, buddy?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Apr 24, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:07 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2011, 10:07 PM #1331 of 1376
That sounds like a fantastic score there Goldfish!

I'd collect more vinyl but I don't have a record player. However, I am definitely getting vinyl for bads that I love and have kick ass artwork with the intent to hang it up as display. So I'd love to get most of Megadeth's albums, Death, basically any classic death and thrash metal band would be fine.

I've been into Ghost recently. They just came out of nowhere with some fantastic songs that are reminiscent of early Mercyful Fate. Really good music and full of Satanic goodness.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zorro

Member 2506

Level 15.02

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:03 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2011, 07:03 PM #1332 of 1376
I just scored a bunch of classic metal on vinyl and Im enjoying the hell out of it. Got:

Savatage - Sirens
Death Angel - Frolic Through the Park
Helloween - Keeper 1 and 2
Sabbath - Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules
Maiden - Piece of Mind (sexy picture disc, with brains being served at dinner...I have Seventh Son, Somewhere in Time, Powerslave and their first album coming later on)
Anthrax - Among the Living

Vemp: I love Wolf. They are like new school classic metal. Favorite song: Steelwinged Savage Reaper.
Wow... that I can get on board with. And here I thought no one in this thread listens to, well, classic Heavy Metal.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
~ Robert Wilensky ~
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:23 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2011, 08:23 PM #1333 of 1376
Wow... that I can get on board with. And here I thought no one in this thread listens to, well, classic Heavy Metal.
Why wouldn't we listen to classic heavy metal? Is that why you thought that the 'coyotes' would tear you to pieces? Or is it because you love 'crabcore'?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Zorro

Member 2506

Level 15.02

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:08 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2011, 05:08 PM #1334 of 1376
Indeed, why wouldn't you? Then again, having followed this thread for a couple of years, I was beginning to think that anything that doesn't cause earbleeding isn't considered extreme enough to qualify as Metal around here. *g*

How ya doing, buddy?
~ Robert Wilensky ~
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:56 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2011, 11:56 PM #1335 of 1376
Haha. I find it funny that you think the trend has been that anything that 'doesn't cause earbleeding' isn't considered metal when in the first several pages, plenty of people listed traditional heavy metal (i.e. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Mercyful Fate, etc.) as some of their favorites. Metal is certainly dominated by the extreme side but there are plenty of people here who enjoy all kinds, including the less 'earbleeding' variety. Besides, if it's too earbleeding for you, you're too old!

By the way Zorro, have you heard of Ghost? If you haven't, I highly recommend them. They'll be right up your alley.

FELIPE NO
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Apr 28, 2011, 06:56 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2011, 11:56 AM #1336 of 1376
metal releases i have enjoyed so far this year:

between the buried and me - the parallax: hypersleep dialogues
kind of a spacier continuation of the great misdirect. really good. apparently it's a lead-in to their next full-length, which is pretty exciting

falkenbach - tiurdia
a mixture of the usual rigidly structured folk metal stuff and some more BM-leaning songs. time between dog and wolf is the freshest thing he's done in like forever

protest the hero - scurrilous
insanely intricate progressive metalcore. i think these guys' initial gimmick was that they wrote their debut album, then actually learned to play the required instruments. there are lots of solos and breakdowns and silly shit, and the vocals are admittedly pretty tasteless, but it's a fun record with a lot of memorable bits

ulver - wars of the roses
still undecided on this one. it's ulver, so it's automatically great, but it hasn't got as consistent an atmosphere as their previous stuff. it's like a more modern perdition city with lots of piano and synth, and a gorgeous talky-poem-ambient thing on the last track, but i feel like i need to listen to it a lot more before i can form a proper opinion

lots of stuff still to look forward to this year, too. two devin townsend albums, new stuff from samael, anaal nathrakh, amorphis, sigh, boris, and more

Last edited by Krelian; Apr 28, 2011 at 06:58 AM.
Zorro

Member 2506

Level 15.02

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:34 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2011, 08:34 PM #1337 of 1376
Haha. I find it funny that you think the trend has been that anything that 'doesn't cause earbleeding' isn't considered metal when in the first several pages...
The first several pages were five years ago. *g*

Besides, if it's too earbleeding for you, you're too old!
I've been too old for 25 years, then. Who are we kidding? I'm a wimp. *gg*

Yup, I know Ghost. They're okay, but the somewhat weak voice just doesn't do it for me. Still, some of their songs aren't bad at all. Death Knell comes to mind.

~ Robert Wilensky ~
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2011, 06:45 PM #1338 of 1376
That sounds like a fantastic score there Goldfish!

I'd collect more vinyl but I don't have a record player. However, I am definitely getting vinyl for bads that I love and have kick ass artwork with the intent to hang it up as display. So I'd love to get most of Megadeth's albums, Death, basically any classic death and thrash metal band would be fine.

I've been into Ghost recently. They just came out of nowhere with some fantastic songs that are reminiscent of early Mercyful Fate. Really good music and full of Satanic goodness.
I've been looking into scoring more on the thrash side, but the original prints in good condition are usually expensive (probably because they didn't sell too great to begin with, so there's fewer copies out there...Or in the case of Metallica/Maiden, demand is keeping the prices bumped). I'm keeping an eye out for stuff like Reign in Blood or Ultraviolence or Bonded by Blood/Fabulous Disaster (classic Exodus <3), but I have them on CD, so no great hurry yet. I don't have any Megadeth yet, but it looks like a decent copy of Rust in Peace is gonna run me on the bad side of $50 or so and even an original Peace Sells is rarely under $30. The good thing is, for the added sound quality, it's SOOO worth it (and my rig is mostly second-hand stuff I was experimenting with).

I scored a near mint original Operation Mindcrime for $15 the other day. That's another one with a usually-inflated pricetag.

It's unfortunate that so many metal releases nowadays are victims of the whole loudness war. The new Iron Maiden, Slayer and Death Angel albums are great music, but are actually difficult to listen to for long periods of time. I'm almost willing to rebuy them on vinyl to see if they're any improved.

I usually prefer clean vocals or thrash-style screams at most. I actually love Warbringer, but...yeah, loudness wars.

I realize I have sufficiently made my point about questionable mastering and am just being a whiny baby at this point.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:56 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2011, 04:56 PM #1339 of 1376
It's been 5 years since the first announcement, and I'm still waiting for Wintersun's second album.

Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2011, 05:38 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2011, 12:38 PM #1340 of 1376
And behold, you shall wait some more.

It's never coming out. They have like one song written and they've been playing it in concerts recently.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:44 AM Local time: Sep 13, 2012, 11:44 PM #1341 of 1376
Haha, Wintersun's new album comes out on October 12! And they're touring too!

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:40 AM Local time: Sep 14, 2012, 01:40 AM #1342 of 1376
Haha, Wintersun's new album comes out on October 12! And they're touring too!
Super excited about their sophomore album. Been waiting for this!

wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:18 PM #1343 of 1376
I was seriously going to bump this thread because I've been absorbing Om's "Advaitic Songs" for about a month now, and holy shit. It's completely fabulous.

FELIPE NO
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:25 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2012, 04:25 PM #1344 of 1376
Latest Ensiferum is lame. That is all.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:44 PM Local time: Sep 26, 2012, 08:44 AM 1 #1345 of 1376
niki my viking friend!

Oh it's out? I'm gonna check it out. But honestly, everything after "Iron" was all meh. It wasn't the same after Jari left.

Also, I've been listening a lot of Arkona again this week. I don't understand what they are saying, but they sound fantaaastic.

niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:49 AM Local time: Sep 26, 2012, 01:49 PM #1346 of 1376
Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeemp !

I liked Victory Songs and From Afar a lot personnaly. Saw them live a lot these past years. STOOONE COOOOLD MEEEEETAAAAL man come on !

Arkona's Vo Slavu Velikim was awesome. Anything after seemed kinda rehashed imo.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:47 AM #1347 of 1376
Another album I've been spinning too much is Diablo Swing Orchestra's Pandora's Piñata. I know that calling them "metal" might be a bit off, but then genre descrtors really aren't sufficient given how much stuff they just throw in nowadays. Whatever they are, I've listened to the full album at least twice a week since it came out.

I never do that anymore.

It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:12 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2012, 12:12 PM #1348 of 1376
I've been really impressed with Rhapsody of Fire lately. I know they're not kosher in a lot of metal circles anymore, what for being cheesy and all that, but i found their hiatus did wonders for their sound, and that The Frozen Tears of Angels and From Chaos to Eternity were vast improvements on the train wreck that was Triumph or Agony. That said, Luca Turili's spin-off Rhapsody band (tragically titled "Luca Turili's Rhapsody" instead of something that would legitimize the "of Fire" addition like Rhapsody of Ice, or R of Thunder... just sayin') seems to be off to an adequate start. I won't condemn them for being less than they could have been, but it's much better than a worst case scenario.

I'm also really enjoying the new Devin Townsend, Epicloud, which is kind of surprising as i was preparing myself for a bit of a downturn following Deconstruction, assuming that Devin obviously wouldn't be able to top himself after such an accomplishment. Epicloud doesn't even try, and is content to be it's own thing, which i'm fine with.

Heading down to HMV tomorrow to pre-order Coheed and Cambria's Afterman Part I, Kamelot's Silverthron, and Wintersun's Time I, all out this coming month. All of these will be interesting to hear as Coheed and Kamelot both suffered major member changes in the last year, and it's been 8 years since the last Wintersun.

Last edited by Helloween; Sep 27, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:43 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2012, 11:43 PM #1349 of 1376
I personally felt kinda "meh" towards the latest Rhapsody albums. Didn't hate it, didn't love it, but definitely couldn't find the melodic genius they used to have. It's still technically impressive, but all in all feels kinda rehashed, imo.

I'd like to recommend you guys the Canadian band Woods of Ypres, a black/melodic/doom/borderline-pop/metal band. Their album "Pursuit of the Sun & Allure of the Earth" is a freaking masterpiece to me, and the rest is pretty good too and will please non metalheads as well. I had the pleasure to attend one of their shows in Toronto a couple years ago before the singer David Gold tragically passed away earlier this year right after he finally signed to a major label.

YouTube Video

Finally, anyone into Alestorm ? If not, what's wrong with you that you don't like PIRATE METAL ?

YouTube Video

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:59 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2012, 03:59 PM #1350 of 1376
I had the pleasure of playing two shows with Woods. My band opened for them in Regina and Saskatoon on two consecutive tour dates when our schedules crossed paths. They were awesome guys and great performers. The whole Winnipeg metal scene wore black armbands that christmas.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)