Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Final Fantasy XII

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:57 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 08:57 PM #1301 of 4284
Simo, that's pretty cool that you were already looking forwards to XII after beating X. You remind of a high school friend that beat X like the first week it came out, then he said that there won't be another great FF until XII. I asked about why not XI, which he simply replied that it's MMORPG, something he wasn't looking forward to, so fast forward 4 year later, here we are!

I'm pretty hyped.

I was speaking idiomatically.

- What we all do best -
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:06 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 11:06 PM #1302 of 4284
Just got my Swapmagic working and played FFXII for an hour or two. All I have to say is that it won back my faith. FFVII was nice, FFVIII sucked, I never got into FFIX, and FFX & FFX-2 both blew dogs for quarters.

This is a damn fine piece of game. The memoire-style of telling the story reminds me of FFT (same folks ;D) and the character designs remind me of Vagrant Story's colorations and such. I like how Yoshitaka Amano had a hand in this. Unsure if he did the cover art... Why can't we ever get a main character that looks THAT badass? ;__;

Still! I stamp it as a very nice Final Fantasy thus far. Dark storyline and such, acting is good (except for Kytes), and the side stuff to do (hunt monsters) is quite sweet ;D

How ya doing, buddy?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:27 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 09:27 PM #1303 of 4284
Okay shit, now you've made me want to play NOW. But I must wait, patiently. That is the right way. Or else I'll fail my two midterms coming up!

How ya doing, buddy?

- What we all do best -
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:34 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 10:34 PM #1304 of 4284
Originally Posted by Gechmir
I like how Yoshitaka Amano had a hand in this. Unsure if he did the cover art... Why can't we ever get a main character that looks THAT badass? ;__;
I'm pretty certain Amano only did the logo design, like usual. The character design was by Akihiko Yoshida, who handled Vagrant Story, FFT, and the newly revamped FFIII character designs as well.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 07:41 AM #1305 of 4284
yep and isn't it the director of FFXII the one that did Vagrant Story too?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 07:48 AM #1306 of 4284
Originally Posted by Inhert
yep and isn't it the director of FFXII the one that did Vagrant Story too?
Yup and Hitoshi Sakimoto also composed the soundtrack for VS as well. Infact the majority of the FFXII development team were responsible for Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics.

FYI Edge Magazine has a review now for the game scoring it 9.2 & 9.5.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:27 AM #1307 of 4284
Originally Posted by Gechmir
All I have to say is that it won back my faith. FFVII was nice, FFVIII sucked, I never got into FFIX, and FFX & FFX-2 both blew dogs for quarters.
Spoiler:
Oh come on, FFVIII did not suck. It was the revolutional phase from blocky characters to figured models. Okay, the story was a little boring, but the gameplay was outstanding. Just some people find it quite annoying in stocking their magic. Where as I found it beneficial to have the same kind of magic on every character. That way when you equip magic into stat slots with their summons, they all would have the proper magic spells applicable. FFVII, it's blatant share or dare.

FFX was also decent. The sphere grid held quite a bit of potential to create devestating characters vs opponents. All you need to do is fight alot for sphere points and complete the grid for a character. Research break damage limit, HP limit, and MP limit and wha-la. Yuna will kill anything in one hit. Even the final bosses.

But FFX-2 blew big time indeed. It's just a game for character fans I guess. People who adore the female characters and quests. Other than that, the gameplay was also decent with mid-battle job changing. For example, if your main attacker job is hurt badly, change to white mage mid-battle and heal your "max" hp to full. Switch back to your attacker job and wha-la, all healed up to max HP.

Other than that, if you found FFVIII and FFX boring still, it's probably because you just weren't eager enough to put in the time to see how well you can improve those characters. I just have a bad habit of trying to see what my character's limitations are I guess. That's why my Yuna can kill everything in one hit >_>

Anyone else think that FFXII's races may have some connection to FFXI's? For example, in FFXII, Human race is being called Humes, just like in FFXI. There's also the Vierra(?) race which closely resembles that of the Elvaan race in FFXI and somewhat mimics the "all female" race, Mithra, in FFXI.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
bighunt
Driving under the radar....

Member 608

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:09 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 12:09 PM #1308 of 4284
Originally Posted by Simo
FYI Edge Magazine has a review now for the game scoring it 9.2 & 9.5.
Official Playstion Magazine writer Thierry Nguyen Gave it a 10/10 in their latest issue. he didn't even mention Sakimoto's music. he said it has a chance to be the Final Fantasy Playstation ever. i hope so, cause FFVII is was overrated and VIII doesn't get enough credit for being a great game.

Most amazing jew boots
Hello_Kitty
Chocobo

Member 291

Level 11.58

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 02:17 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 09:17 PM #1309 of 4284
Question about Equipment :

Is there any way to know all the specs of an armor or hat before buying it ?
I can only get the Defence and Magic Defence

I'm looking for armors that boost my speed for massive damage on giant crabs

Tiptoe down To the holy places
Where you going now Don't turn around

fiercedeity
LOL FAG!

Member 8055

Level 11.82

Jun 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 02:22 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 07:22 PM #1310 of 4284
Im looking forward to FFXII. I enjoyed every single FF game I have played thus far, 9 being the weak link in the chain but everyone is allowed a mistake here and there.

Im looking forward to the fact that sky pirates are the theme! I love pirates! I also have the soundtrack and it sounds very pleasant and fitting, shame there is no solid battle theme, usually I will put the music on my i-Pod and walk around listening to it and drift off, but FFXII's music doesnt do that for me.

The battle system from what I have seen looks nice, although I have no way of determining that till I try it myself. It is looking very polished though and looks set to push the PS2 to previously unseen limits. Lets juat hope its not another X-2, even though I did enjoy X-2, it just didnt feel like a FF game, more of a gimmick. The battle system in X-2 was lovely and the music was nice, but it just didnt have the ball holders that the other games have.

If FFXII is anything close to VII or VIII then we are in for a nice game, and from what I have seen it has taken the best elements from the previous games and removed the worser ones.

Lets just hope they have chocobo breeding again, I really enjoyed making giant fantasy birds shag to create mutant children. Fun times.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Memnoch
Badass Van

Member 12452

Level 6.82

Sep 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 02:32 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 08:32 PM #1311 of 4284
I'm 50 hours in the game and i'm NOT liking the Story,..it kinda sucks. The Battlesystem is a joke,i just throw my controller on the floor and let the puppets do their job..sigh* i miss the turn based system. I hope there is a twist in the story or i'm DEF NOT PAYING for this GAME.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Hello_Kitty
Question about Equipment :

Is there any way to know all the specs of an armor or hat before buying it ?
I can only get the Defence and Magic Defence

I'm looking for armors that boost my speed for massive damage on giant crabs
Eeeuhm, when you buy it you can see the stats, either it's red (negative) or pos( blue) on YOUR Stats..it's the same as the previous ffs.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Memnoch; Oct 11, 2006 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 02:38 PM #1312 of 4284
Originally Posted by Memnoch
I'm 50 hours in the game and i'm NOT liking the Story,..it kinda sucks. The Battlesystem is a joke,i just throw my controller on the floor and let the puppets do their job..sigh* i miss the turn based system. I hope there is a twist in the story or i'm DEF NOT PAYING for this GAME.
wow 50 hours into the game and not getting into it and still hoping for a story twist. I'd say your just forcing yourself to play now just for the sake of beating another FF game o_0
I can see why you don't like it and I think that this was little too hyped up for its own good imo, but I still enjoy it.
And I never played vagrant story but I noticed the similarities in character design when I first saw it which is probably why it looked so awsome

New Record!
Memnoch
Badass Van

Member 12452

Level 6.82

Sep 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 02:59 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 08:59 PM #1313 of 4284
Originally Posted by Shenlon
wow 50 hours into the game and not getting into it and still hoping for a story twist. I'd say your just forcing yourself to play now just for the sake of beating another FF game o_0
I can see why you don't like it and I think that this was little too hyped up for its own good imo, but I still enjoy it.
And I never played vagrant story but I noticed the similarities in character design when I first saw it which is probably why it looked so awsome
Meh, the characters look good but there's nothing special about them. Atleast in the other FFs some of the characters had a interesting past,but with these guys it's BORING. And yes i am a FF fan but i expected something more then..well can't say,but jeez it sucks. I'll be glad when this FF is over so i can play Godhand or Shin Megami, cuz the bosses in FFXII are WAAAAAAY TOOOOO EASYYY and UNORIGINAL (boss dragon, green boss dragon, something cheap again and etc etc), Bah i won't do the extra quests, and i'll def be saving my money.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:08 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 03:08 PM #1314 of 4284
God help me. But Migelo's race reminds me of the Luck Dragon from the Neverending Story ;__;

I LIKE CHILDREN!

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:10 PM #1315 of 4284
Meh, the characters look good but there's nothing special about them. Atleast in the other FFs some of the characters had a interesting past,but with these guys it's BORING. And yes i am a FF fan but i expected something more then..well can't say,but jeez it sucks. I'll be glad when this FF is over so i can play Godhand or Shin Megami, cuz the bosses in FFXII are WAAAAAAY TOOOOO EASYYY and UNORIGINAL (boss dragon, green boss dragon, something cheap again and etc etc), Bah i won't do the extra quests, and i'll def be saving my money.
its funny you should say that becuase I'm in the process of getting (dling ~_~) godhand and I cant wait till its finished ^^
And yes I see what you mean, I've had my complaints about the learning system but come on, its final fantasy. The name alone makes you want to play it

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

New Record!
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:20 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 12:20 PM #1316 of 4284
I think the name alone is the reason why this game will sell at all. Square should be making solid games to make money, this one, aside from production values, they didn't seem to have tried. There are problems in both story and gameplay. It seems that they are really just milking the label, while Enix is making more solid games, and people who don't know better give credit to Square.

I know that's 50 bucks I won't be spending either. And is God Hand English version out already?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Hello_Kitty
Chocobo

Member 291

Level 11.58

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:30 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 10:30 PM #1317 of 4284
Double Post:
Eeeuhm, when you buy it you can see the stats, either it's red (negative) or pos( blue) on YOUR Stats..it's the same as the previous ffs.
it wasnt clear in my post, but the available stats are ONLY def and magic def, you CANNOT see if the item boosts Vitality, Speed, Strenght, etc... or at least i have not found how to, except buying and reloading my save if the item sucks

Tiptoe down To the holy places
Where you going now Don't turn around

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:38 PM #1318 of 4284
Originally Posted by Mojougwe
Anyone else think that FFXII's races may have some connection to FFXI's? For example, in FFXII, Human race is being called Humes, just like in FFXI. There's also the Vierra(?) race which closely resembles that of the Elvaan race in FFXI and somewhat mimics the "all female" race, Mithra, in FFXI.
Well there's some resemblance , but I think it just the new way of Se to name their race now (like they change the name of magic to cure/cura/curaga in FFVIII)

FFXII is base of Final Fantasy Tactic Advance in term of race because it's in the same world and it's exactly the same races.

Elvaan in FFXI are just elves, but the japanese kind. They are strong, more physical than the elves we know that are more magical, and Vierra are just Bunny girl like the Mithra in FFXi are cat girl, so yeah they share one thing the race is one sexe only.

I just wonder if they will keep those race for future FF or if it will be only for FFTA and FFXII (I'm sure it will be only for those game but heh we don't know)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:43 PM #1319 of 4284
Is it me or do the character shading/colouring in the FMVs look horrible? Ugh.

But I'm enjoying it so far - 4 hours into!

FELIPE NO

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:57 PM #1320 of 4284
Originally Posted by Kairi Li
I think the name alone is the reason why this game will sell at all. Square should be making solid games to make money, this one, aside from production values, they didn't seem to have tried. There are problems in both story and gameplay. It seems that they are really just milking the label, while Enix is making more solid games, and people who don't know better give credit to Square.

I know that's 50 bucks I won't be spending either. And is God Hand English version out already?
If you mean the torrent for god hand, then yes. You have to look for the one thats labeled as Eminent

New Record!
Vexxon
Domine Kira

Member 13809

Level 4.85

Oct 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:50 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 09:50 PM #1321 of 4284
Only a few weeks until this game hits NA; I have to say, I'm looking forward to it. Matsuno did a wonderful job with FFTactics and I'm hoping he's put the same kind of effort into XII. Also, Sakimoto is one of my fave composers... I've avoided listening to the soundtrack as of yet because I enjoy hearing it in-game first, but I've heard he did a fairly good job.

I haven't played a really astounding Final Fantasy since IX (my favorite), and I'm hoping this one will pick things back up.

Memnoch
Badass Van

Member 12452

Level 6.82

Sep 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:34 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 05:34 PM #1322 of 4284
Originally Posted by Hello_Kitty
it wasnt clear in my post, but the available stats are ONLY def and magic def, you CANNOT see if the item boosts Vitality, Speed, Strenght, etc... or at least i have not found how to, except buying and reloading my save if the item sucks

Hmmm, yeah you're right but really you don't need fancy items to beat the bosses..they suck

And ohyeah I VE BEATEN THE GAME! WOW THE LASTBOSS WAS TOOOO EASY but he looked freaking cool though and his moves were cinematic awesome (but REALLY weak,jeez damage me come on??)

About the Story,i still say this is one of the weakest stories in the ff series...bah the END was RUSHED and it doesn't even come close to Final Fantasy X. I kinda feel a little sad that i even went to the bathroom and didn't pauze the game..YES my puppets were kicking the last boss's ass without me doing anything...but yeah he was weak so he didn't deserve my attention.

Now i'm going to play Godhand and still feel a little bit sad ...and ohyeah now i get the FFXII''s Logo and HE doesn't deserve to be upthere..weakass mofo.

Laterzz

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 03:58 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 12:58 PM #1323 of 4284
Wow, you just let the game play by ITSELF at the LAST BOSS?

Am I the only one who sees severe game design problems in this game?

They say KH2 was easy even in Proud mode, but I still need to do something to actually play it. This game just plays by itself.

I mean aside from production values, what other postive values are there for this game?

Also, I have heard rumours that the NA version had additional scenes that were not in the Japan version, is this true? And if it was, are the scenes added in more Penelo scenes, since alot of her stuff was cut out in the JP copy, including the FMV of her dancing?

How ya doing, buddy?

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :

Last edited by Kairi Li; Oct 12, 2006 at 04:01 PM.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:21 PM #1324 of 4284
Hmmm, yeah you're right but really you don't need fancy items to beat the bosses..they suck

And ohyeah I VE BEATEN THE GAME! WOW THE LASTBOSS WAS TOOOO EASY but he looked freaking cool though and his moves were cinematic awesome (but REALLY weak,jeez damage me come on??)

About the Story,i still say this is one of the weakest stories in the ff series...bah the END was RUSHED and it doesn't even come close to Final Fantasy X. I kinda feel a little sad that i even went to the bathroom and didn't pauze the game..YES my puppets were kicking the last boss's ass without me doing anything...but yeah he was weak so he didn't deserve my attention.

Now i'm going to play Godhand and still feel a little bit sad ...and ohyeah now i get the FFXII''s Logo and HE doesn't deserve to be upthere..weakass mofo.

Laterzz
I have a feeling you were just overleveled, in which case you could have beaten him by just mashing attack over and over (just like any FF except for VIII which scaled levels to match yours).

Apparently you're supposed to face the final boss at around level 40-50.

I'm 35 hours in and I agree that the story isn't THAT great, but that's simply because there isn't enough of it. I wish there were more events and a longer timespan. There certainly are some incredibly moving and memorable scenes, however, and the dialogue IS worth the price of admission. What Smith has done with this translation is incredible. The story feels like Vagrant Story, in both style and LENGTH (which is it's only downfall).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by JazzFlight; Oct 12, 2006 at 04:28 PM.
Memnoch
Badass Van

Member 12452

Level 6.82

Sep 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:46 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 10:46 PM #1325 of 4284
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
I have a feeling you were just overleveled, in which case you could have beaten him by just mashing attack over and over (just like any FF except for VIII which scaled levels to match yours).

Apparently you're supposed to face the final boss at around level 40-50.

I'm 35 hours in and I agree that the story isn't THAT great, but that's simply because there isn't enough of it. I wish there were more events and a longer timespan. There certainly are some incredibly moving and memorable scenes, however, and the dialogue IS worth the price of admission. What Smith has done with this translation is incredible. The story feels like Vagrant Story, in both style and LENGTH (which is it's only downfall).
True,the dialogs are good BUT they are nothing without a decent story. And well FF is known for its stories (that's the point). Doesn't mean i didn't love SOME scenes like the last fight was a la star wars nice. About the leveling i was level 43 and def NOT overleveled...it's just the boss was too easy i'm sorry. but you'll see when you meet
Spoiler:
IT/HIM/SHE/ASHE TURNED EVIL/THE KING's GHOST/ THE TEN KNIGHTS OF SYARBIA/,...

It was a nice try,but i still won't buy this game..it's just not worth it (FOR ME..)

EDITED BY JAZZFLIGHT: Spoiler-tag your stuff, d00d! >_<

Last edited by JazzFlight; Oct 12, 2006 at 05:41 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Final Fantasy XII