Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] ICO appreciation thread 2.0

THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 09:59 PM #51 of 99
Originally Posted by Spatula
I just went to http://www.cdcovers.cc/ and picked out the "proper" ICO cover, threw away the old crappy cover, and got a nice colour laser printer to print up a new cover. I did the same with the MGS2: Substance one since the old copy didn't have a proper cover either.
I think this is the perfect opportunity for you to raise your hands in the air and proclaim "FTW!"

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 01:20 AM Local time: Jul 16, 2006, 11:20 PM #52 of 99
No, getting a proper authentic North American cover that says "NTSC US" or something long that lines with the proper cover (sup Q), would be For The Win; the cover I'm using has the PAL sign on it, which my copy of the game is clearly not the case.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

- What we all do best -
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:43 AM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 10:43 AM #53 of 99
Getting a proper version of the game (in this the much improved PAL version) would be For The Win. Here it is simply about hiding a glaring flaw~

I was speaking idiomatically.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:41 AM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 06:41 AM #54 of 99
True True. Seeing if I could get my hands on a PAL -TV to support such a resolution. Then I'd need to get a mod chip, then the PAL game...man oh man. Not For The Win for my wallet.

Yum, watermelons.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

- What we all do best -
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:01 PM #55 of 99
I never saw the watermelon cutscene ;_;

FELIPE NO
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:40 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 10:40 PM #56 of 99
You don't need a PAL TV for PAL ICO. The game has selectable NTSC/PAL display.

Getting a modchip would be well worth it. You could play The Chikyuu Boueigun 2 as well, which I'm utterly in love with right now <3

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:12 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 08:12 PM #57 of 99
Holy fuck, that's for the PS2???? How does a budget game look so go (okay, it's not ZOMG GOD OF WAR quality, but still). No seriously.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

- What we all do best -
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:27 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 04:27 PM #58 of 99
Originally Posted by Qwarky
Getting a modchip would be well worth it. You could play The Chikyuu Boueigun 2 as well, which I'm utterly in love with right now <3
To be honest, that looks like it'd become boring after awhile. But I'm really surprised that it's a Simple Series release, with such quality and effort put into the game.

505 Gamestreet will probably make a PAL release and name it "Oversized Bug Invasion"

There's nowhere I can't reach.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 04:27 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 12:27 PM #59 of 99
Originally Posted by Elixir
To be honest, that looks like it'd become boring after awhile.
Well erm, it IS a Simple 2000 title, after all. You're the one praising Zombie vs Ambulance.

And I've been playing 17 missions so far, with both characters, on Normal difficulty (there's about 7 difficulties in total), and I haven't gotten bored yet. The game just keeps throwing new and wonderful things in your face at an alarming pace and you love it. I thought the level with the five walking giant tripods was amazing, but then the game puts you against twice the amount. Then I thought the giant spider assault level was hysterical, but later on the game combines it with a level with two massive motherships that keep dropping MORE of them at you until you destroy the motherships. And dropping one of those three city blocks sized ships means they actually rain down on you and you have to hightail it out of there FAST or get left under as the ensuing explosion levels even more of the city.

And it was only THEN that I got to fight my first Godzilla monster. That was comparable to Area 5 in Rez in terms of orgasmic awesome, a 10 minute endurance fight of hysterical proportions as I tried to desperately stay alive from his ridiculous fire breath attack and pumping him full of any weaponry I had.

As for European release, Essential Games delayed the game till next month, but it's still coming out here, as Global Defence Force. If they don't dub it, I'll buy myself a copy.

Most amazing jew boots

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 08:01 AM Local time: Jul 24, 2006, 02:01 AM #60 of 99
Originally Posted by Qwarky
Well erm, it IS a Simple 2000 title, after all. You're the one praising Zombie vs Ambulance.
You're a redhead. You drive an ambulance and you save people who just happen to be gradually transforming into zombies. Meanwhile at the hospital, people add upgrades to your ambulance such as spiked wheels, faster speed, extra defense, etc. Then you have the combo counter and zombies spawning in the middle of the road. The game reeks of awesome, much like Shinryu Explosion (Saturn game to Simple Series).

Just because it's a simple series game, doesn't mean it sucks, although 90% of the time it does. People are very critical when it comes to Zombie vs. Ambulance, because Simple Series titles don't have the greatest reputation.

I don't really like oversized bugs and spiders and shit (even Mushihimesama's fourth boss creeps me the fuck out) so I might give it a miss. It looks graphically stunning though.

Thread related: In ICO I'm at the waterfall save point, and there's this part where you have to climb yourself around a room to pull a lever, which makes this cogwheel and brick start rotating/moving upwards. Sort of stuck there. I guess I'll hit up GameFAQs when I'm in the mood again.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 04:15 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 12:15 AM #61 of 99
Originally Posted by Elixir
You're a redhead. You drive an ambulance and you save people who just happen to be gradually transforming into zombies. Meanwhile at the hospital, people add upgrades to your ambulance such as spiked wheels, faster speed, extra defense, etc. Then you have the combo counter and zombies spawning in the middle of the road. The game reeks of awesome, much like Shinryu Explosion (Saturn game to Simple Series).

Just because it's a simple series game, doesn't mean it sucks, although 90% of the time it does. People are very critical when it comes to Zombie vs. Ambulance, because Simple Series titles don't have the greatest reputation.
I didn't say it sucks. But like all Simple 2000 games, it IS simple and is bound to get repetitive. So my point was, I fail to see how you can defend Zombie vs Ambulance and yet do that "NO OFFENSE, BUT THAT'S BOUND TO GET DULL" for EDF2 =/
There's tons of completely different weapons you find from levels for later use, unique for each character. Both characters are completely different to play, massive variety in levels, vehicles to use, 7 difficulty settings etc etc

I hate insects myself, makes it all the more fun to shoot up giant spiders, as icky as they are. The ants are completely harmless though, unless they get too close.

As for Ico, are you at the yard, or still stuck inside? A lot of people get stuck on the jump there. Just place yourself on the piston that keeps popping out and start your jump early and you'll fly up to the platform edge above with the door.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jul 25, 2006 at 04:18 PM.
NudeNinja
Carob Nut

Member 2379

Level 4.50

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 06:42 PM #62 of 99
lol I just was reading this thread so I went and dusted off my copy of ICO. I got up to a part where i need to swing into a tower window and I keep dying. Sad how my skills have faded in this game.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 06:59 PM Local time: Jul 31, 2006, 12:59 AM #63 of 99
Oh right, err, I'd like to show just how much I appreciate this game too. So I ripped it. With convos and everything, plus the storyline. And some music.

Great game, yup yup, too bad Yorda's a little slow.
OOMPA!

Double Post:
For the sake of staying on-topic, I really enjoyed the game. The whole atmosphere is stunning - especially the architecture. The mix of the music, the castle, the mist and the dusky sun brings such an incredibly strong feeling of just how nice love and friendship can be.

I don't know if I'm the only one about this, but I can stare at that sun shining through the windows and hitting those medieval castlewalls for hours on end. Call me a lunatic, but there's something really special about it.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Killy; Jul 30, 2006 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 07:15 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 12:15 AM #64 of 99
BUMP

one more Ico fansite

I remeber the original ico thread! nice to know it was brought back after the server problems.
I'm still reviving an old thread however but it was in Qwarky's sig so I'm sure my fellow GFFers won't take offence. I played Shadow of Colussus about the time it was released in Europe, all I can say is I'm glad I played Ico first because it puts things into context, I dunno about anyone else but I would have been left with a bitter guilt taste to the game ending without that past knowledge

Dogen
there's no marmalade

Member 10236

Level 7.02

Jul 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 05:30 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 11:30 PM #65 of 99
It's a nice little site. The paper craft is something I've never seen before.

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:26 PM Local time: Nov 5, 2006, 10:26 PM #66 of 99
When I first got a PS2, there was a demo of ICO. It was one of the first games I had played for the system and I thought it was wonderful. I mean the colours were so vibrant, the sound was amazing, and the atmosphere was very nice.

Its too bad that I never ended up buying it. Maybe someday, I will be able to enjoy it.

TheXeno
Overlord

Member 13483

Level 8.29

Oct 2006

Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:37 AM Local time: Nov 6, 2006, 12:37 AM #67 of 99
http://ico5th.blog77.fc2.com/ not English

http://titi.milkcafe.to/icosearch/ oh shit the mother load, a listing of tons and tons of Ico fansites and such

http://www.geocities.jp/kanamegumu/main/illust.html this one too

I can't play my copy of Ico right now. I bought it a couple of months ago (new) online for about 12 bucks. My ps2 refuses to play ps1 games and blue cd ps2 games. I have tried cleaning the laser and I have concluded that I need to adjust the voltage screw but I don't want to open up my system that far.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by TheXeno; Nov 6, 2006 at 12:43 AM.
Amayirot Akago
WRYYYYYYYYY!!

Member 12969

Level 21.07

Sep 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:52 AM Local time: Nov 30, 2006, 10:52 AM #68 of 99
This game actually made me consider buying a PS2 at the time.

Well, that and MGS3 (which STILL hasn't been released for PC, unlike its predecessors and from the look of things neither will MGS4).

How ya doing, buddy?

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer
Jujubee
Good Chocobo

Member 416

Level 16.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:03 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 11:03 PM #69 of 99
I'm finally going to be able to play this game, I bought one of 2 copies from a local GameStop for 15$ (<3 employee discounts) and its in mint condition. This game is supposed to be the predecessor to Shadow of the Colossus right? But theres no relation between the two, story wise. Anyway, I can't wait to see what all the talk is about, especially how this is one of the most romantic stories of all time.

Most amazing jew boots
B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 05:08 AM Local time: Dec 8, 2006, 11:08 AM #70 of 99
Originally Posted by Guest
But theres no relation between the two, story wise.
In NICO there was obvious connection, but now in SotC you have to see the ending to know how those two are connected =)

How ya doing, buddy?
"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Dec 10, 2006, 05:59 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2006, 01:59 PM #71 of 99
Though even then it's wishful thinking on most parts. People WANT the two games to be connected, even though there aren't that many hints to it in the end.

At most, Wanderer could be the reason Ico and his kind are treated like they are in ICO, but that's it. There's nothing else said in SotC, really.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Dec 10, 2006 at 06:02 AM.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:25 AM #72 of 99
well we can still speculate that:
Spoiler:
Mono could be the Queen in ICO. She got resurrected by the power of the "gods" on the island and you can say that they are not really good gods. And the bridge fall down, so she's kind of stuck there alone, all those years of loneness could have change her... We can't say 100% that ICO and SotC are related but we can do some speculation.

B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:35 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2006, 04:35 PM #73 of 99
Originally Posted by Inhert
well we can still speculate that:
Spoiler:
Mono could be the Queen in ICO. She got resurrected by the power of the "gods" on the island and you can say that they are not really good gods. And the bridge fall down, so she's kind of stuck there alone, all those years of loneness could have change her... We can't say 100% that ICO and SotC are related but we can do some speculation.
Ehh, no.
Spoiler:
Remember that whole evil power was sucked inside the pool? He was banished to live there again alone with the mark on his head to show the others that he have done something terrible.

Shaman didn't think that Mono will be revived after all, he was thinking that Dormin only wanted Wanderers body. Since they are alone there all that she could do was to rise him there. But they ware in secret garden witch contain fruits that are lowering your life.

Nah we think to much =P

"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4
Aquas
Oh, Nall...

Member 4590

Level 13.98

Apr 2006

Old Dec 21, 2006, 05:48 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2006, 04:48 PM #74 of 99
Heh. Discovering this thread has prompted me to go to my local GameCrazy, the only game store tangibly close to where I can take a busline to, and pick up this title. Got it used for $10 bucks. Not too shabby! I'm only about 40 minutes in, but I'm already liking it. FFXII, TP... this is an interesting haitus from the two, to say the least. I like this because it doesn't have a HUD, which surprisingly increases the immersion factor. I would like to think any person including the video game inept could pick up this game and play it. Will post a few more times about what I think about this title when I progress further.

Spoiler:

When I first died at the shadow guy, when he bursted a dark rift at me after he sucked the white glowy girl through the whole, that was when I knew this game was good. Haha, I was just like "holy shit, did he just burn me to a crisp?"

In your dreams, magical thoughts
All things are real, unless you dream they're not
Aquas
Oh, Nall...

Member 4590

Level 13.98

Apr 2006

Old Dec 25, 2006, 06:09 PM Local time: Dec 25, 2006, 05:09 PM #75 of 99
This is a valid bump, mind you. Four days later I completed this game. My finish time is about 9 hours and 30 minutes. I, like many other people couldn't help but admire the scenes in this game. I absolutely abused the movable camera too, that thing rocks. Often I'd feel a little regret to peel myself to advance through a part, because just being there was cool. I completed the game with no help from FAQs, which proved to be only frustrating ONE time, when I first discovered you could pull Yorda up from ledges. Other than that, everything I gradually figured out. Man, Ico sure can leap! He does like, a freakin Mario 64 long jump, imagine Ico yelling "Ya-hoooo!" Heh heh!

I also held Yorda's hand a lot of the time, but sometimes it was nice to just call for her while you're running ahead of her. This may be a given but is the language Ico speaks japanese? Or is his language also unknown.

Also, the "save couch" is a freaking signature key of awesome for this game. Save couch! YEAH!

Great game though. Thanks to this thread I was able to appreciate what is ICO. Now now, who's FTP am I going to be leeching the OST from? =D

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
In your dreams, magical thoughts
All things are real, unless you dream they're not

Last edited by Aquas; Dec 25, 2006 at 06:12 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] ICO appreciation thread 2.0