Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Handling multichannel source audio

ZeaLitie
Vir Fortis Semper Est

Member 26527

Level 5.59

Nov 2007

Old Oct 12, 2009, 04:06 AM #1 of 2
Handling multichannel source audio

Someone at Beyondunreal.com recently discovered that some of the tracker files composed for Unreal and Unreal Tournament are multichannel:

Multichannel Music Tracks - BeyondUnreal Forums

To create a rip of these, I've been using XMPlayer (ModPlug makes subsong handling kind of clunky, and Winamp seems to pre-amp everything with Diskwriter). XMPlayer makes a very clean, direct WAV rip a tracker playthrough, but it's stereo PCM.

I'm kind of clueless on how to preserve the multichannel audio; I've never dealt with it before. As part of my Unreal collection, I have rips of the tracker songs / subsongs (since the subsongs and some loop patterns are not easily accessible without XMPlayer), and so to make a totally accurate rip, I'd need to somehow get this multichannel effect preserved. I've read that FLAC supports it, but I still have no experience with this kind of thing.

Edit: Just to make it a little more clear, I'm wondering if 1) multichannel information can be saved in a WAV file, and 2) if anyone might know more about ripping it. The Beyondunreal guy used MPT, so I'll probably play with it a bit.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:09 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2009, 04:09 PM #2 of 2
Yes, WAV has definitely multichannel support, see here e.g.:
Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK

I'm afraid I can't help you with the rest though. Maybe the app already extracts properly but your player simply can only read the stereo part.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Handling multichannel source audio