Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Case & PSU

Aztaroth
Syklis Green

Member 432

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 08:15 AM Local time: Sep 1, 2007, 02:15 PM #1 of 9
Case & PSU

So, I'm about to build a new PC, and I'm pretty set on most of the Hardware - except the case and powersupply. There are SO many cases out there I don't know what to pick and what noiselevel they have.
So I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions for good cases and matching powersupply that's not too loud. It should be able to cool and power a Core 2 Quad and SLI.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:42 AM #2 of 9
Cases are a mixed bag. Sometimes you can find really good ones on the cheap, and other times you truly get what you pay for and end up with a piece of scrap that can barely fit your components.
I myself have a Cooler Master Centurion 5 and it's quiet, spacious, and even has fans sitting in front of the HDDs keeping them cool.

As for power supplies, do yourself a favor and get something with a name brand. Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Antec, Rosewill... What you want is something that's scored highly on a site like Newegg or Amazon so you don't end up with a fried motherboard.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
IdleChill
The IceGator

Member 60

Level 20.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 02:03 PM Local time: Sep 1, 2007, 02:03 PM #3 of 9
Rosewill sucks, man.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kajun
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 12639

Level 1.86

Sep 2006

Old Sep 2, 2007, 05:56 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2007, 11:56 AM #4 of 9
Yeah, I agree, it is really hard to pick out a case. I used to look at the fans a case offered (front, back, and perhaps side), but these days most cases are very similar. 120mm fans are minimum. With cases, looks play a big role in your decisionmaking, I think.

As far as PSUs go, if you have a quad system with SLI, you will need a pretty hefty PSU. Don't try to cut on costs here -- cheap PSU's will advertise high power, but don't mention that it is often only peak wattage, not high *sustained* wattage, which is really needed . High output on +5V and +12V lines is recommended, as these voltage lines will be tested severely by your hardware. Good brands with focus on power and silence are e.g. Seasonic, Corsair, Zalman, Tagan.

I would visit SilentPCReview and take a look there. They have a good idea of what it takes to build a silent pc.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Aztaroth
Syklis Green

Member 432

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2007, 05:58 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2007, 11:58 AM #5 of 9
thanks for the advise, I'll try and see what I can find But now I know to stay clear of Rosewill (no need to take chances) I'll also stay clear of Thermaltake - the last one I had literally exploded. Not much though - just enough for flames and smoke to come out of the case.

I was speaking idiomatically.
shadoweave
Chocobo

Member 23806

Level 9.35

Aug 2007

Old Sep 2, 2007, 07:46 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2007, 08:46 PM #6 of 9
Hmm. Thermaltake's typically been a decent brand for PSUs as well as Cases. Perhaps you were unlucky or something. But like you said, better to be safe than sorry. Personally, I've always had good luck with Silverstone and OCZ. They tend to be a bit pricer though.

Most amazing jew boots
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:32 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2007, 09:32 AM #7 of 9
I also highly recommend the Centurion 5 cases. I've built two computers with them. Whether you like how they look, they are extremely easy to build with.

Rosewill sucks, man.
I put a Rosewill in my new computer back in May and I have no complaints. I did quite a bit of research because I was also worried about the brand being shitty. What I found was that a lot of review sites were saying that some of the Rosewill models coming out (including the one I bought) were good and, at half the price of many of the other brands, the best value out there.

Most of the reviews also state that Rosewill probably couldn't get past the perception that the brand is terrible.

FELIPE NO
and Brandy does her best to understand
IdleChill
The IceGator

Member 60

Level 20.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:48 PM Local time: Sep 6, 2007, 10:48 PM #8 of 9
I also highly recommend the Centurion 5 cases. I've built two computers with them. Whether you like how they look, they are extremely easy to build with.

I put a Rosewill in my new computer back in May and I have no complaints. I did quite a bit of research because I was also worried about the brand being shitty. What I found was that a lot of review sites were saying that some of the Rosewill models coming out (including the one I bought) were good and, at half the price of many of the other brands, the best value out there.

Most of the reviews also state that Rosewill probably couldn't get past the perception that the brand is terrible.
Hm, the reviews I read on newegg from users were mediocre at best. Granted this was about three years ago. The psu eventually died a horrible death and took the CPU and Mobo with it.

I was always taught to never skimp on the psu. *shrug* What I've learned with computer peripherals is that cheaper isn't always better.

Hit and miss, I guess.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:00 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2007, 10:00 PM #9 of 9
Antec P180. Only do-it-yourself PC case worth buying.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Case & PSU