Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Fruits Basket

Cyantre

Member 2635

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:43 PM #1 of 25
Fruits Basket

Use this thread to discuss the anime Fruits Basket.

This is actually the only anime I've seen all the way through. I don't even like anime very much, but I did enjoy Fruits Basket.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
chrno_crusades
ohayou!!

Member 1745

Level 2.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:50 PM #2 of 25
yerh, i fruits basket was one of the first animes i actually got hooked to!!
then came all the rest of good anime. i learnt alot about all the chinese ziadiacs and personalitys of them by watching it, lol, though im not sure if theyre very accurate..

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:21 PM #3 of 25
I think your suppose to give more info about the anime when opening a thread about it.
But anyways, I only saw the first episode and I wasn't impressed. Does it get any better cause if it does I may give it a second chance.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

New Record!
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:05 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 11:05 PM #4 of 25
Fruits Basket was the only anime I could get my mother to watch (well, that and Pet Shop of Horrors, but that's short).

Despite it being a very good series, I wish they would make a sequel. After all, there's like 19 or 20 volumes of the manga as of 2006, and a helluva lot more plot twists. They didn't even get to two of the Zodiac members within the anime! But they've said that they don't plan on continuing the anime anytime soon....

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:37 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:37 AM #5 of 25
Originally Posted by Shenlon
I think your suppose to give more info about the anime when opening a thread about it.
But anyways, I only saw the first episode and I wasn't impressed. Does it get any better cause if it does I may give it a second chance.
It actually does improve as the series progresses. I, too, wasn't impressed at all by the first episode, but seeing how the manga was good, I gave it a second chance.

The series is pretty charming, filled with some very nice character scenes and an intriguing plot. It was one of the first ones I saw, so at that time, I was pretty hooked on it, but that eventually changed as I started watching other series. If the series would continue, I'd probably starting watching it again. There are some great plot twists in the manga.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:47 AM #6 of 25
I watched a few episodes of it a few years ago. One thing I seem to remember about it was that it seemed to have a large number of characters to keep track of but I could be wrong. Actually I found the art style be kind of irritating more so in the anime then in the manga. It was cute though and I still plan on checking out the rest of it.

Originally Posted by chrno_crusades
... ziadiacs...
LOLS

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
[/RIGHT]
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 02:15 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 11:15 PM #7 of 25
I've only reached Episode 17, and the anime has been sitting on my shelf for quite awhile now. I heard that the character development is worth seeing.

Most amazing jew boots
Yuna
涼宮ハルヒ

Member 1603

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:51 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 08:51 AM #8 of 25
I've watched the first episode twice but I didn't like it. But everywhere people say this is a good anime, maybe I'll force myself to watch a bit more episdoes to see if it's worth seeing it all the way through.

(The idea of a girl living in the middle of the woods seemed so stupid to me, that's probably one of the reasons I never cared to watch the other episodes)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cyantre

Member 2635

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:40 AM #9 of 25
You can't judge the series by the first episode. It laid some ground work, but the whole series pickups in the next few episodes. It's a fairly short series and it is quite good. So if you have it, finish watching it, or if you don't borrow it from a friend. (That's what I did).

iamamoogle
Chimera

Member 1516

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:10 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:10 AM #10 of 25
The series was really good. I saw it before I was able to read the manga. The ending of the series occurs around the 6th volume of the manga... with a bit of character introductions from the next few volumes shown beforehand... my guess to try to fit in as many zodiac animals as possible. The ending and plot twists at the end of the series come too sudden in my opinion. I mean it still handles the situation in its self well... but the ending obviously opens up so much more than one would have expected from the previous 24 epipsodes. It doesn't really answer anything. The manga handles it much better though... which I guess makes more sense since its how the story was originally concieved.

aoidra
Carob Nut

Member 804

Level 6.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:53 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:53 PM #11 of 25
I've watched the complete serie, not the best anime that I watched but I enjoy it, just because this serie were original that include the chiness zodiac animal and when the character touch a person that is different genre he/she tranform to the animal I really enjoy that part. lol

How ya doing, buddy?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:59 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:59 PM #12 of 25
The girls have the most ludicrously huge eyes I've ever seen in an anime, to the point of freakishness. It's...unsettling.

That, and Yuki is the least convincing excuse for a male ever.

Yuna
涼宮ハルヒ

Member 1603

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:10 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 01:10 AM #13 of 25
Originally Posted by Cyantre
You can't judge the series by the first episode. It laid some ground work, but the whole series pickups in the next few episodes. It's a fairly short series and it is quite good. So if you have it, finish watching it, or if you don't borrow it from a friend. (That's what I did).
Normally I don't judge anything just by watching the first episode, usually I download three, if I like at least two I keep watching it, if I don't like two, then I drop it. I really don't know what happened to me that made me drop it just by watching the first episode.

I guess I'll have to download it myself, I'm pretty much the anime downloader of my friends, one of my friends downloads a lot too but he's really into hentai (what a perv ) so that's what he downloads the most, and hentai is not really my thing, it lacks story, IMO 80% of hentais are all the same, with a few exceptions for those that have a bit of story. But if it's a Hentai/Comedy I'll watch it.

Kiri
Whatever happens, remember to protect me.

Member 1268

Level 6.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:21 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 09:21 PM #14 of 25
I'm not sure the exact reasons why only a portion was introduced to the US. I heard from quite a few people that the series didn't really go over as well as they thought it would.

Anyways, I've seen 1-26 (the episodes that were released in the US) and I did enjoy the character development. Though there are times where you look at Tohru and kinda pitty her and her situation in the beginning, so much builds on that.

It also has alot of humor to it as well when you get more involved with the whole Yuki and Kyo bit. And you have your sad parts which add a dramatic effect that will keep most people in suspense.

All in all it's not a bad anime at all. I didn't get a chance to read the manga so I only know of the episodes I know.

How ya doing, buddy?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:37 PM #15 of 25
I really liked watching Fruits Basket after spotting it on Kazaa out of a whim.

My favourite character is Ayame, since he's so out-there and flamboyant. Best line ever goes to: "direct all the sex in the school towards me, the student council president." Oh Ayame!

My favourite is that really corny emotional scene involving Tohru and Momiji:
Spoiler:
when she hugs him because he knows his mother will never remember him but he will always have memories of her...so sad

Tohru's smiling face and some of the zodiac animals are currently adorning my wall on a scroll.

FELIPE NO
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:46 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 12:46 AM #16 of 25
Originally Posted by Kiri
All in all it's not a bad anime at all. I didn't get a chance to read the manga so I only know of the episodes I know.
I highly suggest reading the manga! It covers so much more than the anime, and if you're looking to see more about the characters, you'll get a lot of that. Personally, I liked the manga better There were some excellent scenes that, to my disappointment, weren't included in the anime.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cyantre

Member 2635

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:26 AM #17 of 25
If you're not into the whole manga scene, the series is still worth checking out. If you get into it after watching the show and you want to buy the manga and read it too that's your choice, but I think the series is strong enough to stand on it's own.

Swordstalker
guardian of princess nyanko

Member 149

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:13 PM #18 of 25
i love FruBa, the charakters and dialogues are great.
The story is okey too but its not the reason why i watched it, its mostly the charakters.

<-likes Shigure ^_^

Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:44 PM #19 of 25
I'm loved the anime, but I haven't been able to get into the manga... I think it's because of the artist's style. That's pretty much the same reason I haven't gotten into One Piece, either... ^^;;

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:28 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 03:28 AM #20 of 25
Never, ever use an artist's style as a reason to avoid an anime. Both Fruits Basket and One Piece are amazing mangas, and should be given a chance for their content, not style. One Piece is probably the funniest manga I've come across (second now to Yakitate!! Japan).

I wish I gotten more into the FB manga. Seems to have a lot going for it. The anime, however, is amazing. At first you don't know what to expect, seems happy go lucky, girl with big eyes. But the series really kicks off when she stumbles upon each family member's secrets/pasts, and that's when you should brace yourself with depression overload. You even begin to wonder if the slow, sad opening song (as opposed to most animes' fast, hyper ones) seem to have a double meaning.

Without going into much spoilerific details, it's really one anime everyone should watch. Sad and down to earth, I can sum it up as this.

Quistis88
Instructor No. 14

Member 1028

Level 2.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:53 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 02:53 AM #21 of 25
The anime is awesome, to paraphrase what some people have been saying. However, personally, I was not satisfied with the ending, so I am glad the manga keeps going further (though I am not keeping up with the manga, really). The soundtrack is nice, animation is above-average, characters are all lovable in their own quirky ways. A feel-good anime, for sure.

Battle_CRY
Vice-President

Member 7659

Level 6.62

May 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 07:33 PM #22 of 25
Thumbs up

Ratings Natsuki Takaya is AWESOME!!

Story: 10/10

After her mother's death, Tohru Honda finds herself living with the Sohma family consisting of three cousins: Yuki the 'prince charming' of their high school, Kyo the hot headed, short tempered outcast, and Shigure the mischievous novelist, if not sometimes that of a perv. Tohru finds out the terrible Sohma secret... When a member is hugged by the opposite gender they turn into the 12 animals of the chinese zodiac. As rivals clash and doors get smashed life at the Sohma house has changed completely. Great story!!!!

Characters: 10/10

The characters themselves are extremely lovable, which is vital in a character-driven series like this one. There are too many character, each of whom is completely unique and intriguing.

Animation: 9.5/10

The animation also stays high-quality throughout. It is crisp, clean, and bright, adding to the overall innocent feel.

Sound: 9/10

The music also adds a good touch, although there’s not too much variety.

Overall: 9.625/10

Cons:

One small fault of this anime is that it seems to need to cover every animal of the Chinese zodiac, which isn't really a big deal but a few of the characters are only introduced briefly and then disappear, which is disappointing.

Fruits Basket would be my top pick for a "relaxing" anime. There’s no melodrama, gigantic robots, or even explosions, just a light-hearted viewing of characters and their relationships, which is refreshing to see. Though typical of the shoujo style it isn't a normal anime that is usually in the maintream where there is one guy who is involved with multiple girls (instead the roles are reversed) and it's good to see anime that separates itself from the harem styles that many artists create (Tenchi Muyo, Ah! My Goddess, Love Hina, Negima, etc....).The great thing about this anime is that it has a message, but it doesn’t ever sacrifice its comedy. But the series also goes deeper, and you’ll see a poignant growth in relationships, and continuously enjoyable character development. The humorous touches continue throughout, all of which combines for a wonderful effect. It rocks!!!!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Signature removed by the board of directors

Last edited by Battle_CRY; May 31, 2006 at 07:35 PM.
jinrui198
Anime Seeker

Member 4037

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 08:33 AM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 09:33 PM #23 of 25
Originally Posted by Battle_CRY
Ratings Natsuki Takaya is AWESOME!!

Story: 10/10

After her mother's death, Tohru Honda finds herself living with the Sohma family consisting of three cousins: Yuki the 'prince charming' of their high school, Kyo the hot headed, short tempered outcast, and Shigure the mischievous novelist, if not sometimes that of a perv. Tohru finds out the terrible Sohma secret... When a member is hugged by the opposite gender they turn into the 12 animals of the chinese zodiac. As rivals clash and doors get smashed life at the Sohma house has changed completely. Great story!!!!

Characters: 10/10

The characters themselves are extremely lovable, which is vital in a character-driven series like this one. There are too many character, each of whom is completely unique and intriguing.

Animation: 9.5/10

The animation also stays high-quality throughout. It is crisp, clean, and bright, adding to the overall innocent feel.

Sound: 9/10

The music also adds a good touch, although there’s not too much variety.

Overall: 9.625/10

Cons:

One small fault of this anime is that it seems to need to cover every animal of the Chinese zodiac, which isn't really a big deal but a few of the characters are only introduced briefly and then disappear, which is disappointing.

Fruits Basket would be my top pick for a "relaxing" anime. There’s no melodrama, gigantic robots, or even explosions, just a light-hearted viewing of characters and their relationships, which is refreshing to see. Though typical of the shoujo style it isn't a normal anime that is usually in the maintream where there is one guy who is involved with multiple girls (instead the roles are reversed) and it's good to see anime that separates itself from the harem styles that many artists create (Tenchi Muyo, Ah! My Goddess, Love Hina, Negima, etc....).The great thing about this anime is that it has a message, but it doesn’t ever sacrifice its comedy. But the series also goes deeper, and you’ll see a poignant growth in relationships, and continuously enjoyable character development. The humorous touches continue throughout, all of which combines for a wonderful effect. It rocks!!!!

Don't you think that your score is a little too high? Even though the show was interesting and cleverly made. The soundtrack is true that there is too little variety between tracks and the instruments used are not much if you listen closely. Personally I think that your score is a little bias.

But at least you made the thread very interesting. Thank you.

(Tohru looks very dumb and cute!)

FELIPE NO
Battle_CRY
Vice-President

Member 7659

Level 6.62

May 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 08:40 PM #24 of 25
Originally Posted by jinrui198
Don't you think that your score is a little too high? Even though the show was interesting and cleverly made. The soundtrack is true that there is too little variety between tracks and the instruments used are not much if you listen closely. Personally I think that your score is a little bias.

But at least you made the thread very interesting. Thank you.

(Tohru looks very dumb and cute!)

Haha thanks for the constructive criticism, though I don't believe that my score is too high in the conditions at which I'm rating the particular anime ( as a shoujo, and I have not seen many shoujo's which allows for individual discretion in this case). Rating it as a comedy, romance, shoujo, etc... I feel that my rating is appropriate. As for thinking that my score is biased...why wouldn't it be biased??? Isn't that what opinions are? I'm not a trained critic on anime or manga so for you to call my score bias is bias in itself.:eyebrow: Perhaps the show was not to your liking, but it was to mine and I might use different criteria in evaluating anime. I'm just trying to tell the other members that this is an anime that is worth watching, for a shoujo, it's very good in MY opnion...if it were rated with all the other anime and genres that I have watched, then it would have not been rated so high. Just wanted to clear up any confusion on the basis at which Fruits Basket was rated on. Thanks!!!!

How ya doing, buddy?
Signature removed by the board of directors
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2007, 02:10 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2007, 03:10 PM #25 of 25
Sorry for bringing back an old thread (just realized my thread on the manga was made before the last crash) but I thought I might ask a question regarding the manga. I've so far only read upto Viz's latest (vol.16) and was just wondering...
Spoiler:
...does Kyo ever tell Tohru that he had met her mother before? In the manga he remembers Kyoko telling him about her past, meeting Katsuya, getting married, having Tohru, dealing with her husband's death...

...but will he ever share this knowledge with Tohru or just keep it to himself?

Thanks in advance!

"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Fruits Basket