Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Gankutsuoh

David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:12 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 01:12 AM #1 of 14
Gankutsuoh

Info: http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1...ankutsuoh.html

Basicly a futuristic, anime version of the classic "Count of Monte Cristo".

I've seen the first half of the series, I'll probably watch the rest over the next few days. So far I like it, the Count of Monte Cristo has been one of my favorite storys for a long time, and I'm also a big anime nut, so this is a win-win situation. The anime style is very unique as well, I think the only thing I've seen like it before was the intro to Elfen Lied...

Has anyone else seen Gankutsuou? If so, what are your thoughts?

Edit:

By the way, there are some spoilers in the Description on AnimeNfo, be warned...

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by David4516; Mar 6, 2006 at 04:21 AM.
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:31 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 03:31 PM #2 of 14
I could go on for hours about the disappointment that Gankutsu Ou turned out to be in comparison to the book, but I'll limit myself to my main complaints:

Spoiler:
-The Count's character was changed too much. In the book he is a rather kind and caring man, but in the anime they turned him into a weakling who gave in to some space ghost to get his revenge. The biggest disappointment was his confrontation with Mercedes, one of the best scenes in the book, where they really fucked him up, making up for an even worse result when he kills Franz.
-The ending was way too lame. Fernand was turned into a megalomaniac, while he at least had a kind character in the book. He just wasn't who I wanted him to be.
-The biggest disappointment was without a doubt the count's death; How can you kill of a great character in such a lame way?! Yes, the good guys did beat the evil Gankutsu Ou, but how lame did it all happen.

The anime did have some good aspects though:
Spoiler:
-Haydee was wonderful, especially in her confrontation with the parliament.
-Animation and design was simply astonishing/
-Cool ending theme.
-Benedetto was even better than in the original book, one of the best evil characters.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
lordo
Progressive Rock God

Member 346

Level 7.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:33 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:33 PM #3 of 14
I haven't read the book but it's on my ToDo list

The anime was quite spectacular in my opinion. The land scapes were bloody brilliant, the animation style was clever and suited the whole story.

Highly recommended.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
lemonmanko
yell it very loud!

Member 1971

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:43 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 10:43 AM #4 of 14
the anime was top quality to me but eh thats my opinion

the art style is what really caught my attention back when it was new but then plot and everything else next

seems everybody loved the book more
its to be expected

Manga > anime
Book > Anime

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:52 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 06:52 PM #5 of 14
I've been meaning to take a look at the anime since I absolutely loved the book. Does the anime really deter that much from the book?

I was speaking idiomatically.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:04 AM #6 of 14
i stopped watching it at the 4th episode. but i want to give it a chance since the US dvds are out..

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:55 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 09:55 AM #7 of 14
Ok, I just finished watching it last night. Overall I was very impressed by this anime, the only thing that I thought could have been better was the ending.
Spoiler:
The Count DIES???? WTF? And why hasn't Albert hooked up with either Eugine (spelling?) or Haydee after 5 years?

FELIPE NO
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:25 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 06:25 PM #8 of 14
Originally Posted by Enkidu
I could go on for hours about the disappointment that Gankutsu Ou turned out to be in comparison to the book, but I'll limit myself to my main complaints:

Spoiler:
-The Count's character was changed too much. In the book he is a rather kind and caring man, but in the anime they turned him into a weakling who gave in to some space ghost to get his revenge. The biggest disappointment was his confrontation with Mercedes, one of the best scenes in the book, where they really fucked him up, making up for an even worse result when he kills Franz.
-The ending was way too lame. Fernand was turned into a megalomaniac, while he at least had a kind character in the book. He just wasn't who I wanted him to be.
-The biggest disappointment was without a doubt the count's death; How can you kill of a great character in such a lame way?! Yes, the good guys did beat the evil Gankutsu Ou, but how lame did it all happen.

The anime did have some good aspects though:
Spoiler:
-Haydee was wonderful, especially in her confrontation with the parliament.
-Animation and design was simply astonishing/
-Cool ending theme.
-Benedetto was even better than in the original book, one of the best evil characters.

I would have to admit that I stopped watching the anime when I picked up the book, resulting in yet another anime I left unfinished. However, I don't regret my decision.

Seeing those ending spoilers...
Spoiler:
The Count dies? What... that's ridiculous. I guess I should see it for myself. And I agree, Edmond's confrontation with Mercedes in the book left me yearning and tearing up. Sigh.

As for David4516's spoiler:
Spoiler:
Albert in the end didn't hook up with anyone in the book either. And I think it turned out better that way. Eugene and Albert never really had a relationship in the book, unlike the anime.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:06 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 02:06 AM #9 of 14
Spoiler:
That scene was just so beautiful, I also nearly cried. Sadly enough, the anime ruined it.

The ending was really lame. It turns out that Dantes made a deal with some monster called Gankutsu in Chateau d'If, and the monster just took over in the second half of the anime. The last few episodes where Fernand going crazy after Haydee's confession and destroying Paris. He later duels the count, and he ends up killing himself. The count eventually dies because of a hug from Albert (yaoi+++). Just awful.

In the book, Haydee hooks up with the Count, who survives thank god, and Albert doesn't end up with anyone, since Euginie seems to prefer women.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:22 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 02:22 AM #10 of 14
You guys have inspired me: I've decided to go back and read the book again. I don't remember it all that well anymore (it was like 10 years ago or more when I read it last), and I never did read the full version, just the short version.

I did buy the movie a couple of years ago when it came out, it's one of my favorites...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:28 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:28 PM #11 of 14
The movie is just so bad, it still leaves a sour taste in my outh just thinking of it. The Chateau D'If part was okay, but the rest of it is just unspeakably bad. How the hell could they rape the story so bad.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jonus
the other me

Member 437

Level 5.67

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:07 PM #12 of 14
Fantastic anime series. The style it has is unique and its storyline, being based on a novel, strays away from endlessly repeatening anime cliches.

Want to see something fresh? Watch it.

Regarding the comparison to the book ... well afaik there has been no example where a movie/series/anime has been better then the book it is based off. No point arguing over something that is common knowledge.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Jonus; Aug 17, 2006 at 07:13 PM.
somedude2387
Chocobo

Member 678

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:27 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 07:27 PM #13 of 14
After getting a fairly good wrap in the 2006 end of year review thread I decided to get it. I finally finished watching them and I got the soundtrack but I was wondering if anyone new which song is playing in the episode when
Spoiler:
They're at the opera and the Count sees Mercedes and Fernand sees that other chick. In the torrent I used there was that song and another one in the trailer and I'm not sure which song in the soundtrack it's from or if it's in the soundtrack at all

I was speaking idiomatically.
I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.
Woody Allen (1935 - )

Anyone know how to use alchemy?
black100
Here comes trouble

Member 1851

Level 2.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:44 PM #14 of 14
Spoiler:
Enkidu, you do understand that the count actually dies from the fucking sword shard stuck in his heart right?

I enjoyed the anime a great deal and it would probably be among one of my favorite anime released that year. The ending was pretty unnessasary, and you could tell the only reason they went with it was too simply do something different.

Spoiler:
As for your other complaint, about the actual character of the count, the book follows the story from his point of view so of course it's going to make him look good, it's partially up to you to understand how insane he really was.

I actually thought the anime made Fernard look much better than how he did in the book. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he pretty much kicked too the side by everyone once Haydee told everyone what happened?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by black100; Apr 24, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Gankutsuoh