Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Can't uninstall driver...

Trench
The Raven

Member 2985

Level 17.51

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:51 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2008, 02:51 PM #1 of 5
Can't uninstall driver...

Okay... I bought a wireless internet card for my computer like last year. Worked fine until somebody dropped my antenna while I was moving things with my family from one house to another. Ran over the antenna, broke it, etc. Bought a new card! New antenna and everything.

Now I uninstall the old card. Cool. Restart computer. Put CD in. Install files. Cool. Turn off computer, put new card in. Computer starts up and says "Nah you already have one of those in here. Sorry." Not cool.

I uninstall the piece of shit and repeat the process. When I come back, My computer is calling it card #3. Which is impossible because I uninstalled the last 2. My computer shouldn't even know they existed. What really boggles me is that I tried a different PCI slot in my motherboard each time!

How do you solve this kind of problem? How can I convince my computer that the shit's uninstalled?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:20 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2008, 11:20 PM #2 of 5
You positive it can't be removed via device manager?

Run > devmgmt.msc

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Trench
The Raven

Member 2985

Level 17.51

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2008, 07:04 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2008, 05:04 PM #3 of 5
Oh, sure, I can remove it from there. I have already done that, in fact. Yet my computer still retains the memory of it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:34 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2008, 11:34 AM #4 of 5
Post screenshots of

1. Startup tab in System Configuration Utility (Run -> msconfig)
2. Running Services (Run -> services.msc)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:36 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2008, 06:36 PM #5 of 5
Drivers for the most part are not uninstalled from Windows, ever. Exceptions are most graphics card drivers. When you install most drivers, Windows makes a copy of it in the system driver cache and when you uninstall the device all you are really doing is removing the device and freeing the hardware resources it was using. The drivers will remain on your system to be used by Windows plug-and-play if the device is added to the system again.

You can manually remove the driver files, if you know what files are being used by the device and know your way around the Windows system files.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Can't uninstall driver...