Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Trouble Networking my PC and Laptop =(

Kwan
Wark!

Member 1166

Level 1.86

Mar 2006

Old Sep 23, 2007, 01:01 AM Local time: Sep 23, 2007, 04:31 PM #1 of 5
Trouble Networking my PC and Laptop =(

Hey,

Okay, I recently formatted my computer. It is usually connected to a ASDL firewall router. But, when I take out my network cable from my ADSL router and plug it into my laptop, I cannot network my computer with my laptop. My laptop has been running considerably slow, so I want to format it, and to do that, I need to backup the stuff off it, which is why I want to network it. I think it is infected with viruses, thats why it is slow. Neither my laptop or my computer have a firewall installed, besides the standard Windows one, So I dont think the firewall is a problem. They are both turned off.

In the TCP/IP properties, I used "Obtain an IP address automatically". But that didnt work, so I assigned my PC's IP address as "169.254.48.203" and my laptop as "169.254.48.202", with the same subnet mask. When I go to ping them, it looks like this:

When I go to windows explorer and type in "\\laptop" in the address bar, it cannon find the laptop. So I don't know what to do now. I can network my computer with my brothers computer which both are connected to the ADSL router, with ease, but the laptop is frustrating me. Both computers run windows XP. Does anybody know what I can do to make the laptop network work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Many Thanks,
~Kwan

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 24, 2007, 07:10 PM Local time: Sep 25, 2007, 01:10 AM #2 of 5
Transfer your files via FTP, it's also faster than SMB transfers.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Sep 24, 2007, 07:22 PM #3 of 5
Are you using a crossover cable? If you are using straight, that might be why. However, XP Pro SP2 (i know that for sure, because I've done it, probably works on rest of XP systems as well) can be tricked into making this work by using ICS. I didn't even realize this until I'd had ICS set up for about 6 months, and my roommate asked me how on earth I was getting a straight connection with no switch with a straight cable.

How ya doing, buddy?

FGSFDS!!!
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2007, 07:23 PM Local time: Sep 25, 2007, 02:23 AM #4 of 5
Transfer your files via FTP, it's also faster than SMB transfers.
Brains or GTFO.

It's not about HOW to transfer it, it's HOW to fix the problem.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Sep 24, 2007, 07:25 PM #5 of 5
nvmnd

I was speaking idiomatically.

FGSFDS!!!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Trouble Networking my PC and Laptop =(