Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Atheist parents!

Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 02:19 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 12:19 PM #1 of 152
Atheist parents!

Hey here's something that I've been pondering for a while. Those of you atheists here, if you're ever considering children, how would you plan on broaching to them religion? I'm an atheist, and so is my girlfriend (well she in all but name I guess) and if we have kids, I'm honestly quite stumped about what information to give them. Certainly I'm not going to indoctrinate them in any sort of religion, but I also think it's important they be aware such things. It's a tough subject, mostly because they'd be an incredible minority in school, definitely the target of harassment at times, and who knows if we as parents would receive some kind of backlash for not teaching them about "the Lord." I'm against religion and so is my girlfriend, so why teach our children something that we're fundamentally opposed to?

Anyway, your thoughts?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Luceid
Persona

Member 127

Level 11.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 02:26 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 02:26 PM #2 of 152
It's a complicated subject indeed, and I really never thought about that. Still, I think they need to be aware of it at certain point, and let them take their own decision if they'd like to follow any religion, if not, stick to Atheism. Then again, you know how school can be; it'll be a problem for them not to believe in "the Lord" for they will be targets, like you mentioned. But, if you think it's not a need to teach your children about it, then just don't.

Maybe not the best of solutions, but I think, personally, that we'll see what happens when the time comes.

Most amazing jew boots
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Oct 28, 2007, 02:27 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 03:27 PM #3 of 152
I agree with you that it is not necessary to indoctrinate children with a given religion's teachings.

IMO, if you have an alternate view of the world, that is what you should share with your kids. Explaining to them about beliefs and religion is the best thing you can do. Informing their children is the best thing parents can do.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 02:36 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 11:36 AM #4 of 152
I would allow my child to decide for him or herself once he or she is old enough to make such a decision. Doing otherwise is no different than brainwashing.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 02:42 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 09:42 PM #5 of 152
I would allow my child to decide for him or herself once he or she is old enough to make such a decision. Doing otherwise is no different than brainwashing.
So you're saying you'd be able to raise your children without even giving subtle hints about your relgious (dis)beliefs?

I was speaking idiomatically.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Oct 28, 2007, 02:50 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 03:50 PM #6 of 152
I think he is rather suggesting that to try and force beliefs upon your kids for the rest of their life equates to brainwashing.

Most amazing jew boots
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:22 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 02:22 PM #7 of 152
This is why it's important to teach kids how to think, not what to think. I'm an atheist as well, and it always seemed to me the best idea to teach kids about religion from a historical perspective, and make sure they know all about things like the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the Salem Witch Trials, the Taliban, and other atrocities committed by religion or in religion's name, so that if they are approached by members of proselytizing sects, they'll know that the sunshine-and-roses sales pitch they're given belies what is most likely a very bloody and horrid underbelly.

FELIPE NO

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Oct 28, 2007, 03:32 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 04:32 PM #8 of 152
I agree with this, but you'll find yourself hard pressed in the matter to not give your personal opinion about these things. Though I agree with you that if you teach them how to think, they'll be better equipped to form their own opinions regardless of yours.

However, here another problem arises. If you teach your children to be critical and form opinions for themselves on everything, isn't there the slight bit chance that they will come to not respect your authority even when it is justified?

How ya doing, buddy?
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 04:19 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 03:19 PM #9 of 152
Well, that depends. If my authority is justified from an objective point of view (e.g. don't touch the stove burner, it's hot), then I can only hope I raised them to be sensible enough to see the logic in my actions.

If my authority is justified from my perspective based on my set of ideals, then the onus is on me to acknowledge the subjectivity of my assertion/order/command/desire and realize that they may be justified in challenging it.

Really, what would happen is that it would raise the standard of parenting for me and demand that I expend more effort and thought in not only what I initially teach my children, but also in how I follow it up by setting my own examples. If I teach them how to smell a hypocrite, it then places the burden on me to not be hypocritical. If I want my children to think or feel that what I say and do is right or logical, then I have to make sure that what I say and do is, in fact, right and logical when placed under outside scrutiny.

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 04:24 PM #10 of 152
Personally, I plan to raise them without religion all together. That includes atheism. Like Capo said, it's something they should personally decide for themselves when they're older - certainly not when they're young children. I may throw in the "some people believe" and try to vary it a lot. But apart from the standard, I see no reason why the paranormal should explain things for my children. Religion won't be a part of their lives until they're older, and only if they chose to accept it.

I hope to instill some critical thinking in my kids instead. Always question, always think.

I DO plan to celebrate Christmas with them. Though it is generally accepted as a religious holiday, Christmas will be celebrated as a seasonal thing. When they get a little older and they have classmates and things (and I am sure I can't protect them from Baby Jesus Brigade), I hope to explain that the holiday season is celebrated by millions of people for different reasons.

I think Easter will just be "celebration of spring and fertility." I mean, what the hell ELSE could the Easter Bunny be good for? Here kids - have some chocolate for dinner! It's Easter!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 04:31 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 09:31 PM #11 of 152
Children will learn about religion through other means, whether that be their friends or through school. When they ask questions, as they are bound to being such curious creatures, treat them as you should; like they have a brain and can reach their own decisions. Tell them how you feel personally, but that you respect their choice if they do not agree. That's how I'd raise my children anyway.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Hachifusa
Pre-defined Avatar~

Member 121

Level 17.12

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 04:39 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 02:39 PM #12 of 152
My mother is an atheist. My father is one of those secular Jews who sent us to Sunday school but dropped all religion in the house. As a result, my mother won. She basically raised us by not talking about God or switching the subject until we were older. This works wonders. At first glance, it sounds like a bad idea, but she never made the subject something to avoid. We were kids, so we were easily amused with some other conversation when she quickly asked us other questions.

A few times when I asked her point-blank on issues I was learning in religious school, she shrugged her shoulders and said, "Yes, that's a Jewish belief." When I would push with phrases like, "What do other people believe?" she would tell us directly what non-religious people believe (and sometimes, if warranted, what Christians believed). We very quickly realized, even at a young age, to sort through and find our answers ourselves.

I would tell you not to worry about it, nor to tell the kids that they are atheists. (Bad idea. Just as bad as six-year-old professed Christians).

Most amazing jew boots
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 04:44 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 02:44 PM #13 of 152
Children will learn about religion through other means, whether that be their friends or through school. When they ask questions, as they are bound to being such curious creatures, treat them as you should; like they have a brain and can reach their own decisions. Tell them how you feel personally, but that you respect their choice if they do not agree. That's how I'd raise my children anyway.
Yes. That is perfectly logical and my viewpoint on the matter. If it results in shouting matches when they're teenagers, then that only stems from the way I've raised them.

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Personally, I plan to raise them without religion all together. That includes atheism.
You consider atheism a religion? I don't. I doubt other atheists do either.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 04:54 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 01:54 PM #14 of 152
It's as much a belief system as any other religion is. I consider myself non-religious for that reason.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Hachifusa
Pre-defined Avatar~

Member 121

Level 17.12

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 05:05 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 03:05 PM #15 of 152
It's as much a belief system as any other religion is.
No, it isn't. Atheism is the lack of a belief. I'm not being technical, here, either. Generally speaking, agnosticism (or "non-religiosity") is a variant form of atheism.

Now, some atheists elevate their position to religious standards, creating secular holidays and adopting secular credos (i.e. secular humanism) and see it as necessary "theology" to compliment their new religion, but that's just pomp and circumstance.

You would do a great injustice if you were to separate atheists from the non-religious.

Most amazing jew boots
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 05:09 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 02:09 PM #16 of 152
Atheist believe in no god. They are grouped together, as in religion, as a number of people with the same set of beliefs.

It may not have originally been this way, but that is what it has become.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 05:22 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 03:22 PM #17 of 152
I was raised with no religion. My mom is an Atheist and my dad can be considered the same. I went to church a handful of times but that was with a friend and we ended up ditching it and just going outside to play. I've been brought up more or else that I can do as I choose, though I imagine my mom would be disapointed if I was to choose a religion, except Wiccan, she's into that. It's never been discussed really when I was in school and was never made a point of ridicule.

How would I raise my kid since I'm an Atheist? I wouldn't have religious, at least overtly religious symbols in my house and I wouldn't really take him to church or anything. However if he asked me anything about it I would answer it to the best of my ability and if he wants to pursue a religion I'd allow him to do so and still be proud of him as long as he continues to be a wonderful human being.

Now with my current girlfriend, she's a Christian, and what if we were to have kids? That I don't know exactly. We're sort of at the opposite ends as to how to raise a kid with religion. She would Christianity and I wouldn't want any religion put down my kids throat. So yeah that would have to get worked out if that time ever comes along.

i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Oct 28, 2007, 05:22 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 06:22 PM #18 of 152
To Capo:

So in this sense, you neither believe in nor deny the existence of one or numerous gods?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 05:24 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 02:24 PM #19 of 152
How could I?

Most amazing jew boots
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Oct 28, 2007, 05:31 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 06:31 PM #20 of 152
That's a very good question. I would like to quote the Bible on this... But I know the answer isn't there!

Or anywhere else for that matter...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 06:08 PM #21 of 152
There's a big division in atheists about this. I'm one of those atheists that doesn't believe in anything, including the typical atheistic tagline. (I get angry when atheists want to unify and shit - what is there to unify ON? Poking and prodding at people who HAVE faith? Just as ridiculous as Satanism.)

It's a big, gaping hole where religion usually goes.

Capo may feel that atheism is a religion in a way - and so does my boyfriend. I believe that the lack of a belief is just an absence in a religious faith.

A lot of atheists actually put faith in their lack of faith. It seems counter-intuitive to me, so I don't. Religion or LACK of religion of any kind doesn't have a place in my life. I don't believe in anything and there's nothing to really discuss, you know?

The term "atheist" is just the closest I can get to accurately describing myself in one word. =/ I guess
non-religious" is a good term, but it's a little less aggressive than "atheism." I am kind of militant about non-belief in my life.

Last edited by I poked it and it made a sad sound; Oct 28, 2007 at 06:12 PM.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 06:30 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 03:30 PM #22 of 152
I don't feel that the strict definition of atheism is a religion, rather what it has become.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 07:06 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 05:06 PM #23 of 152
That's why I usually like the term agnostic better. It seems to have fewer negative connotations. =\

FELIPE NO
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 07:56 PM #24 of 152
That's why I usually like the term agnostic better. It seems to have fewer negative connotations. =\
But "agnostic" means something different....?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 08:11 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2007, 01:11 AM #25 of 152
I was Christened, and I got very basic religious teaching at Primary School. I don't even know if my parents are religious or not, they never bring it up and they never forced their beliefs onto me. So if I were to ever have children, i'd probably do the same. Let them find their own way, if they ask about Christianity i'll tell them what they believe in.

As for the topic of what exactly is Atheism...it's a tricky one. I see myself as an Atheist, but not one who wants to join up with others and campaign that peoples beliefs are false. My Atheism goes as far as not believing in God. I don't really have a strong case backed with scientific evidence as to why I don't believe, I just don't.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Atheist parents!