Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What the HECK is `earnings penalty`

chocomarker1
Carob Nut

Member 202

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:29 PM #1 of 7
What the HECK is `earnings penalty`

hello fellow artists and art lovers! (art in this case music, duh)

i have this statistical data on rewards and penalties of being an artist

what are rewards and penalties in these terms, or earnings penalty in general? my mother tongue is german, but actually i'm familiar with all economic terms as this is my major in college. but i never heard of this field. anyone can help? (links to definitions etc also welcome)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:47 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2009, 08:47 AM #2 of 7
Well, that chart's saying extra year of education for artists doesn't quite pay as much as that for education, professional, and technical workers. The difference is probably the 'penalty' you read about.

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Mar 26, 2009, 08:58 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2009, 08:58 PM #3 of 7
And it appears to be implying that while the percentage return on education over time has actually been increasing, the return for artists actually capped out in the 90's, and then declined recently. Course, it only has one date point per decade, has no units, and little in the way of description, so its a bit light on data. The apparent art decline could be a statistical anomaly depending on how they gathered it.

On the penalty, I don't know the context, but it might also be talking about the advancement of professionals in school vs going out and working. Some professions increase more rapidly with education, while others do so with field work. Hard to tell the way you presented it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
yevheniy
Євгеній

Member 27697

Level 10.88

Jan 2008

Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:09 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2009, 10:09 AM #4 of 7
I don't know why you find this surprising...

Artists and musicians dating all the way back to J.S. Bach's time (and earlier) have usually been rather poor; I can't really see this changing any time in the foreseeable future either...

I really wonder what kind of future most of these art and music majors are going to have in store for them once they graduate. Most with dreams of working for a symphony or becoming a famous artist will probably end up having to become a music teacher making ~$30k for the rest of their lives, or end up as a struggling artist who will eventually be forced to give up their trade and pursue a different career.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 02:40 AM Local time: Mar 30, 2009, 12:40 AM #5 of 7
Man, stock Excel graphs look so professional.

I was speaking idiomatically.
AtomicDuck
Quackus Maximus

Member 27199

Level 5.82

Dec 2007

Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:26 AM #6 of 7
I don't get it, what penalty? All that's showing is how artists generally don't make as much money after school as technical professionals do. That's just the nature of the jobs and the market for them there.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:47 AM #7 of 7
I don't get it, what penalty? All that's showing is how artists generally don't make as much money after school as technical professionals do. That's just the nature of the jobs and the market for them there.
Well, that chart's saying extra year of education for artists doesn't quite pay as much as that for education, professional, and technical workers. The difference is probably the 'penalty' you read about.
You're welcome.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > What the HECK is `earnings penalty`