Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] How do you get 3,000 pikachus on a bus? POKEMON!

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2008, 02:03 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2008, 02:03 AM #1326 of 1579
I tried chaining... That shit is horrible. I don't know how people could possibly get a shiny in about three chains.

It's bullshit I tell you. Bullshit!

In Diamond, managed to balance out my team a little and rework some movesets.
In Pearl, just started playing a couple weeks ago... My team as of now:

Lucario (35) [Traded from Diamond]
Monferno (32)
Shinx (24)

I still need to get the 4th badge, but once my school life calms down, I'll get back to it.
Get that Lucario to the daycare. Might as well get your own Riolu. Also, Shinx sucks. Err, Luxray sucks.

Or does he get good once he's in the 70s? Seriously the thing never learns jack shit.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2008, 02:07 AM #1327 of 1579
I tried chaining... That shit is horrible. I don't know how people could possibly get a shiny in about three chains.

It's bullshit I tell you. Bullshit!
I only chain out of the fact that I'm fighting that same pokemon multiple times, instead of just random encounters. Sure there's the shiny patch that may happen once ever, but hey =/

FELIPE NO
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2008, 02:08 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2008, 02:08 AM #1328 of 1579
Okay your Lopunny obsession is getting really creepy.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2008, 03:21 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2008, 01:21 AM #1329 of 1579
Get that Lucario to the daycare. Might as well get your own Riolu. Also, Shinx sucks. Err, Luxray sucks.

Or does he get good once he's in the 70s? Seriously the thing never learns jack shit.
Luxray is a physical sweeper, and the Electric typing is far more suited for the Special Attack stat. As such, his best STAB'd move is pretty crummy (Thunder Fang or something). Not to mention that his crummy movepool limits him severely, making his potential movesets very predictable. You could do worse, but there's obviously better out there.

But trust me, Chaotic knows what he's doing, and he's just a big Luxray fan. Hell, Furret is my team leader, which is proof enough that taste has a lot more to do with it than simply statistics. You only pay sole attention to the latter in the metagame.

We used to discuss all that stuff back in this thread's heyday when me, him and several others rounded out Gamingforce's Diamond/Pearl crew.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Mar 5, 2008 at 03:29 AM.
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2008, 04:06 AM #1330 of 1579
Okay your Lopunny obsession is getting really creepy.
Mission Accomplished

You haven't seen my recent Journal entry huh.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2008, 07:27 AM #1331 of 1579

My Lucario's fine. I traded an Egg into the game, so it is mine. And as a Generic said, I do have some sort of unhealthy obsession with Luxray. It's stats so far are fine, but I'm leaving it as a mixed sweeper.

For my Pearl game, I just need to get a decent Flying Pokemon and get some defensive Pokemon on my team... Which will most likely be Blissey when that Egg of mine hatches from that hiker.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Mar 7, 2008, 03:57 PM #1332 of 1579
For my Pearl game, I just need to get a decent Flying Pokemon and get some defensive Pokemon on my team... Which will most likely be Blissey when that Egg of mine hatches from that hiker.
You could always go SkarmBliss, everyone else does!

I've never gotten into the competitive battling scene in the Poke games, but I did follow discussions at Smogon for a time just to see what was up with the whole NetBattle thing. Pokemon has sorta fallen into the same situation as fighters where every character is meticulously examined to the point where their usefulness is once-and-for-all determined by "the scene" and organized into neat brackets based on competitive ability. I think it kind of ruins the the "raise and grow" theme of the games and focuses on "win win win" by any cost. Hey, if it works for you, go for it, but I'm happy to see some people play with what they like.

Maybe I should dust off my D/P cart. Haven't played in ages.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:58 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2008, 12:58 AM #1333 of 1579
Well, that's why it's called the metagame. It's to go beyond the rules and stylings set forth by the game itself and compete as efficiently as possibly. Common battles have no need for things like IVs or the like, and you can follow the "raise and grow" theme to your heart's content.

I myself have decided to brush the game off. There's lot of things I never did completely finish, like the battle tower stuff and the breeding things I had planned (Ice Punching/DD'ing Totodile with good IVs, and a Seed Bombing Cacnea.)

Most amazing jew boots
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2008, 03:03 AM #1334 of 1579
Something tells me we should have another tournament, just for the hell of it again. <.<

I still haven't had enough time to continue training in Pearl... I'll probably work a little on it tonight.

Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 04:55 PM #1335 of 1579
Saayyyy...if anyone else is interesting in blowing off some dust, I gave in and picked up Diamond about a month ago. I've beaten the Elite 4 already and am now just grinding more or figuring out just who I want for my team. One or two I've decided just have to go and have only been around for the ride for the sake of having some TM/HM move handy.

FELIPE NO

Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 05:09 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 12:09 PM #1336 of 1579
FC: 1246-5201-4026 (Pearl)

I still have my game somewhere, haven't so much as touched it since January. So! I wouldn't mind a few battles if that's what you want =D
Be aware my team's levels are somewhere in the 80 to 100 range. But I don't think that will matter if we stick to the 50 or 100 level modes.

All this downtime at the SSBB threads makes me want to start a random Pokemon D/P tournament. What do you guys think?

Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 05:40 PM #1337 of 1579
Well, my team's only in the 50-60s range right now, and some of their moves are less desirable. So right now I'm trying to figure out my team and maybe do some trading and grinding before I give some actual battles a try. (My Kadabra cries himself to sleep every night because he can't evolve. )

FC: 3007-8067-3064

I do have a couple of (stupid?) questions, since I haven't been into this franchise since Blue:

1. Is there even such a thing as just a straight battle of 6 on 6 with the levels and such unchanged anymore?

2. I noticed you can only seem to offer/search over Nintendo WFC for Pokemon within D/P only. So if I want to get [insert Pokemon here] that you can only get by importing them from the GBA games, would I have to get the games myself, or could I get [x Pokemon] through a trade with a friend who has them?

Most amazing jew boots

^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 06:56 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 06:56 PM #1338 of 1579
Quote:
1. Is there even such a thing as just a straight battle of 6 on 6 with the levels and such unchanged anymore?
Free Battle option on WFC... I think.

Quote:
2. I noticed you can only seem to offer/search over Nintendo WFC for Pokemon within D/P only. So if I want to get [insert Pokemon here] that you can only get by importing them from the GBA games, would I have to get the games myself, or could I get [x Pokemon] through a trade with a friend who has them?
Last I knew, you could still search for any pokemon starting from R/B/Y, but not everyone will always have them.

All this downtime at the SSBB threads makes me want to start a random Pokemon D/P tournament. What do you guys think?
I'll join, but it'd have to be on a weekend, as my work now leaves me with Fri/Sa/Su only.

WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.

Last edited by ^-^; Apr 28, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 06:57 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 04:57 PM #1339 of 1579
The new game is only rumored. CoroCoro or whatever it's called hints that an expansion game is on its way (not a remake of the Metal generation, like I had hoped).

I was actually playing Diamond about three or four days ago. Suddenly had the urge to finally breed and EV train a Cacturne, and I was eyeing a Banette next. Why must all of my favorite guys be UU?

Don't worry, you can get them through a friend. The Trading Center only allows you to search for Pokemon that you've already seen or caught, which is why you only see Diamond/Pearl pokemon available to search for. Once you possess pokemon that can't be seen in Diamond or Pearl, the Trading Center will let you search for those pokemon. As you can tell, trading through this means is impossible for obtaining pokemon you don't already have. GameFAQs has a trading board that is... suitable for any and all needs.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Apr 28, 2008 at 07:05 PM.
^-^

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 06:59 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 06:59 PM #1340 of 1579
Originally Posted by Generic Badass
I was actually playing Diamond about three or four days ago. Suddenly had the urge to finally breed and EV train a Cacturne, and I was eyeing a Banette next. Why must all of my favorite guys be UU?
I don't think it really matters but...

That's my opinion.

WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,

Last edited by ^-^; Apr 28, 2008 at 07:09 PM.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 07:16 PM #1341 of 1579
Suddenly had the urge to finally breed and EV train a Cacturne... Why must all of my favorite guys be UU?
For what it's worth, on the right team, Cacturne is hardly UU. My friend drove me up the wall with his. It took down three of my team before I nuked his one Cacturne. (Sucker Punch, WTF...)

Anyhow, I've been breeding, EV training and levelling like mad for the past few weeks. It kills time and helps me fall asleep sooner. Currently, I'm working on a Hippowdon. I'm considering Mismagius next.

I don't really care too much about Uber/OU/BL/UU listings. (I'm not even certain what "BL" stands for - "balanced" maybe?) I play with the Pokemon I like. Lapras isn't top-tier by any means but it's fun. And though I took second place in a craptacular Pokemon tourney a few weeks ago, I'd much rather play casually.

Getting Pokemon from older versions has never been a priority. Yeah, I could take the time to send an Arbok over, but why? Arbok's not gonna be much help to anything, honestly. My only motivation is casual competition, so foddering my Pokedex, eh, whatever.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 07:17 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 02:17 PM #1342 of 1579
Well, my team's only in the 50-60s range right now, and some of their moves are less desirable. So right now I'm trying to figure out my team and maybe do some trading and grinding before I give some actual battles a try. (My Kadabra cries himself to sleep every night because he can't evolve. )

FC: 3007-8067-3064

I do have a couple of (stupid?) questions, since I haven't been into this franchise since Blue:

To answer your questions:
1. Battle with levels unchanged? Yeah, I forget the choices exactly but you can choose between lv.50, lv.100 and free battle. There are also options to have single or double battles.

2. Actually GTS only allows you to trade pokemon that you've seen in your game. I believe it was setup that way to make it "difficult" to shortcut your way into getting pokemon outside the the current region. Personally I don't really use it, I think it's easier just to contact a friend and trade for the pokemon you want.

Too slow! That's what I get for walking off for 15 mins

Sorry if I left out anything, I'm kinda on my way out over here. But if you want to trade stuff I'm sure I (or anyone here) can help you there. I hear Crash Landon still plays as well, so he may have everything you're looking for =D

Originally Posted by ^-^
I'll join, but it'd have to be on a weekend, as my work now leaves me with Fri/Sa/Su only.
Yeah, that's roughly my playing schedule as well. If anything we'll keep the tournament playing days on weekends only or something =o

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 07:22 PM #1343 of 1579
I hear Crash Landon still plays as well, so he may have everything you're looking for =D
Given that I own one of the discontinued GBA GameSharks, yes, I can acquire all Pokemon from past games. I've got all the codes entered, at least for the base evolutions. I just never cared enough to send and evolve them all in my Diamond game. Who needs a Level 100 Luvdisc?

But yeah, I can make just about anything from previous games. Can't control a ton of the random elements like gender, ability, IVs, etc., but if you just want a Meowth for kicks, that's simple.

FELIPE NO
^-^

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 07:24 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 07:24 PM #1344 of 1579
Given that I own one of the discontinued GBA GameSharks
I can help too.

WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 07:27 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 05:27 PM #1345 of 1579
Quote:
Yeah, that's roughly my playing schedule as well. If anything we'll keep the tournament playing days on weekends only or something =o
I'd participate, but I doubt I would be very serious in competing. Mostly Underused guys, I'd think.

For what it's worth, on the right team, Cacturne is hardly UU. My friend drove me up the wall with his. It took down three of my team before I nuked his one Cacturne. (Sucker Punch, WTF...)
Thanks, I'm glad someone out there has some appreciation for the guy. His movepool finally has a bit of depth, so I hear he can be unpredictable in certain cases. It takes a miracle to get him into battle safely, though.

Quote:
I don't really care too much about Uber/OU/BL/UU listings. (I'm not even certain what "BL" stands for - "balanced" maybe?) I play with the Pokemon I like. Lapras isn't top-tier by any means but it's fun. And though I took second place in a craptacular Pokemon tourney a few weeks ago, I'd much rather play casually.

Getting Pokemon from older versions has never been a priority. Yeah, I could take the time to send an Arbok over, but why? Arbok's not gonna be much help to anything, honestly. My only motivation is casual competition, so foddering my Pokedex, eh, whatever.
Although I actually like your guess better, it stands for Borderline. Get worked in Overused, dominate in Underused.

As for the Pokedex, I have to admit, sometimes I send guys like Arbok over just to read their Pokedex description.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
^-^

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 07:34 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 07:34 PM #1346 of 1579
Finally, someone says what I was too afraid to say:

I use what I want to, 'cause I like what I use, not 'cause it's UU, OU, BU, or BO.

WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 07:36 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 02:36 PM #1347 of 1579
I'd participate, but I doubt I would be very serious in competing. Mostly Underused guys, I'd think.
Oh I've learned from the past two tournaments here that making a "serious and complicated" battlefield isn't the best course. What I was thinking is maybe we hold mini-tournaments once every two weeks. No real rules aside from common courtesy, you know, just casual play among members. Sounds fun to me.
You can even make a whole team composed of magikarp and Luvdiscs for all I care!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 07:45 PM #1348 of 1579
Well, I'm finding Rapidash just isn't really making the cut for a Fire Pokemon, so I was looking into either Heatran (Fire/Steel) or Blaziken (Fire/Fighting). Both of which are fairly good types (Heatran's double ground weakness aside). Heatran I can get with enough masochism...

..but for Blaziken I'll need a Torchik first. Hence why I was looking to trade for one. And get my Kadabra evolved too.

Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 07:52 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 05:52 PM #1349 of 1579
I'm hardly competitive by any means either (pseudo-Gym Leader theme here), so I'd be down for any sort of casual play. I'd just need some time to check which Pokemon in my PC need leveling up.

Wow, I need to dust off my Pearl cartridge and get right back to breeding Natus. I don't think I've even started with getting parents before I wound up forgetting about it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2008, 07:52 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2008, 05:52 PM #1350 of 1579
Quote:
Well, I'm finding Rapidash just isn't really making the cut for a Fire Pokemon, so I was looking into either Heatran (Fire/Steel) or Blaziken (Fire/Fighting). Both of which are fairly good types (Heatran's double ground weakness aside). Heatran I can get with enough masochism...

..but for Blaziken I'll need a Torchik first. Hence why I was looking to trade for one. And get my Kadabra evolved too.
Just so you know, it's kind of... faux pas to ask someone to give you a legendary.

I'll be more than happy to breed you any other Fire type you want, though. Can I interest you in a Torkoal or Cyndaquil, maybe (or the fire chicken, if you really want it)?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] How do you get 3,000 pikachus on a bus? POKEMON!