Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

You Will Survive Doomsday

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 08:07 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 08:07 PM #1 of 25
You Will Survive Doomsday

A guide to the post-nuclear apocalypse, and how one should expect to survive.

Quote:
# MYTH #01: Almost everyone will suddenly be killed on doomsday.
# MYTH #02: Most people would be quickly killed by the bomb blasts, thermal radiation, or radioactivity.
# MYTH #03: You can build an adequate shelter in your basement.
# MYTH #04: You must filter the air coming into a shelter to remove the fallout.
# MYTH #05: Water would become radioactive.
# MYTH #06: There would be no dangerous radioactivity after a couple of weeks.
# MYTH #07: Radiation sickness is not contagious so there is no danger in assisting those affected.
# MYTH #08: Food exposed to radiation becomes radioactive and is therefore not edible.
# MYTH #09: If you have a special radiation suit (like you see in the movies and on TV) you will be protected from the radiation.
# MYTH #10: New crops of food grown in future years will not be radioactive.
# MYTH #11: There is no such thing as a fallout pill.
# MYTH #12: There is a fallout pill that will protect you from all radioactivity.
# MYTH #13: There would be dangerous radioactivity for thousands of years.
# MYTH #14: There would be no dangerous radioactivity after a couple of years.
# MYTH #15: You are prepared if you have a two weeks emergency supply of food stored.
# MYTH #16: You should be prepared to be self-sufficient and be able to survive on your own.
# MYTH #17: Any survivors would have to live the rest of their lives underground.
# MYTH #18: Life after doomsday won't be worth living.
# MYTH #19: You need not make any preparation because you are either going to die in the holocaust or be saved (religious connotation).
# MYTH #20: The bombs today are so large and there are so many they will destroy the world.
# MYTH #21: You will receive adequate warning from your government.
# MYTH #22: You will receive no warning, and there is no hope if you do.
# MYTH #23: One of the primary targets will be nuclear power plants.
Quote:
MYTH #15: You are prepared if you have a two weeks emergency supply of food stored.

More important to the present theme are questions as to what preparations survivors should be making ahead of time. Since it will take a while to get crops growing again because of social disorganization, ozone depletion in the atmosphere, climatic changes, crop adaptation, early crop failures, soil deprivation, and similar factors, survivors will need a couple of year's supply of food. Wheat and honey are the only two basic foods, of which I am aware, that have an indefinite shelf life. Thousand year old kernels found in the pyramids have still sprouted. Fortunately, these two foods, wheat and honey, meet most adult nutrient requirements. Powdered milk will be necessary if one wishes to reduce the infant mortalities. The infants will not survive otherwise, unless their mothers have adequate natural milk, which is unlikely. Salt is important as a preservative, among other purposes.

In addition to storing the four basic survival foods (wheat, honey, powdered milk and salt), it is highly advisable that one also store a couple of year's supply of a variety of (non-hybrid) seeds. Some seeds will not store very well and need to be continually replaced.

It is equally important to develop certain skills. Gardening skills. I particularly recommend the area of hydroponics because this would be one way to grow foods free of contamination. Preserving skills. Here I recommend learning to dry foods using hot air. Freeze-drying requires too much elaborate and expensive equipment and freezing itself is not reliable when electricity is not reliable. Preparation skills. Bread making, use of lentils, and making of many foods, or their substitutes, that today are commonly gotten in prepared form.

On all of these subjects one could write a book. Indeed many books have been written on them. Even if one does not have time to immediately develop all these skills they might do well to get themselves a survival library and then as a next step acquire the essentials in materials listed in checklists in most well organized manuals.
It's an incredibly long read, though a very interesting one. Those interested in writing Post-Apoc literature or media should definitely consider it in order to create a more convincing fiction.

You've survived Doomsday.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 08:36 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 06:36 PM #2 of 25
Excellent find!

I am very curious about nuclear holocaust and this something that I will read when I get a chance.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
NYRSkate
Happy Hour in Hell's Sports Bar

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 08:40 PM #3 of 25
You should be more concerned with surviving the post-oil peak era. Nuclear war will just be the end effect of resource wars.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
<Mercarios> I voted for hut hut, because it's a superior track, but you gotta draw a line between having fun and going too far
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 08:41 PM #4 of 25
"The Omega Man" comes to mind here, obviously. I think I saw an actual book with stuff like this, but still a good find.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:34 PM #5 of 25
That guide's fine for surviving your average nuclear holocaust, but not doomsday. When I decide to end this world, it won't be a half-assed job. That's why it's called doomsday. Because everyone will be dead. Hell, the way I intend things to be, every single constituent atom now part of the earth will be given enough kinetic energy as to never ever meet another atom once part of the earth again.

Don't even think about trying to survive that.

Most amazing jew boots
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:41 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 12:41 AM #6 of 25
Originally Posted by NYRSkate
You should be more concerned with surviving the post-oil peak era. Nuclear war will just be the end effect of resource wars.
Yep know about that and all as well. I should probably learn to become a mountain man...but I can't grow a bad ass beard.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 03:08 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 01:08 AM #7 of 25
People talk about some sort of nuclear armageddon like they want to happen. Oh well. Exciting times we live in. I'd rather be dead then brain dead living as a vegetable.

Originally Posted by NYRSkate
Glad to see somebody else subscribing to similar notions.

Most amazing jew boots
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 03:48 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 10:48 AM #8 of 25
Originally Posted by Watts
People talk about some sort of nuclear armageddon like they want to happen. Oh well. Exciting times we live in. I'd rather be dead then brain dead living as a vegetable.
Why would you be brain-dead?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:38 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 11:38 AM #9 of 25
CAPITALISM! BUY BUY BUY! WAR ON TERROR!

It's like, you know man? We don't control our lives, I mean like, you know what I'm saying? It's all freaking Bush, and Haliburton, and fucking, and fucking Chuckie fucking Cheese you know what I'm saying?

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:05 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 12:05 PM #10 of 25
But investigative reports seem to indicate that they call themselves "Ghouls" and that they're capable of speech and reason. We can't just kill them all.

Set's a dick, though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Watts

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:51 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 10:51 AM #11 of 25
Originally Posted by Aardark
Why would you be brain-dead?
I don't want to play the "blame game". :biggrin:

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 01:30 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 01:30 PM #12 of 25
So it's interesting that the duck and cover movies had some element of truth to them.
Thought-provoking read, Brady.

Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:00 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 12:00 PM #13 of 25
A nuclear war will never happen. The world economy is tied too close to each other (ie. China and the US) for it to make sense to attack each other with Nuclear weapons. Let's say China were to attack the US with a nuclear weapon. In 24-48 hours, China's economy would come to a halt. Something similar would happen to Russia, although to a lesser degree, but would still completely cripple their economy. The author of the article talks about "doomsday" due to errors in the computers that control the nuclear weapons. That is even less likely to happen due to a lot of redundant precautions that are in place. I'm no expert on this subject, but you don't need to be to realize that nuclear war has no chance of happening.

I was speaking idiomatically.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:03 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 12:03 PM #14 of 25
http://www.survivingpeakoil.com/arti...soviet_lessons

Here's an interesting article from Dmitry Oriov who lived in the Soviet Union prior to its collapse and saw its economic regrowth. He makes some interesting comparisons between the US and SU in the article and what could possibly happen to the US when its economy collapses.

Relatable to the surviving doomsday as we will survive an economic crash, and a nuclear war might come before or after it.

Most amazing jew boots
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:16 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 09:16 PM #15 of 25
Originally Posted by Spike
A nuclear war will never happen. The world economy is tied too close to each other (ie. China and the US) for it to make sense to attack each other with Nuclear weapons. Let's say China were to attack the US with a nuclear weapon. In 24-48 hours, China's economy would come to a halt. Something similar would happen to Russia, although to a lesser degree, but would still completely cripple their economy. The author of the article talks about "doomsday" due to errors in the computers that control the nuclear weapons. That is even less likely to happen due to a lot of redundant precautions that are in place. I'm no expert on this subject, but you don't need to be to realize that nuclear war has no chance of happening.
'You don't need to be an expert', o okay. Yeah, nuclear warfare is a pretty simple thing, don't they, like, even teach it in kindergartens nowadays?

Seriously, what. Economy? There have been many economically devastating wars in the past.

Quote:
The author of the article talks about "doomsday" due to errors in the computers that control the nuclear weapons. That is even less likely to happen due to a lot of redundant precautions that are in place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_...ovich_Arkhipov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_W...al_close_calls

Oh, but hey, we have ADVANCED computers now, right? They pretty much make error in human judgement a non-issue, and the good people of Happytown can sleep tight. =)

FELIPE NO
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:46 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 12:46 PM #16 of 25
Originally Posted by Aardark
'You don't need to be an expert', o okay. Yeah, nuclear warfare is a pretty simple thing, don't they, like, even teach it in kindergartens nowadays?

Seriously, what. Economy? There have been many economically devastating wars in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_...ovich_Arkhipov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_W...al_close_calls

Oh, but hey, we have ADVANCED computers now, right? They pretty much make error in human judgement a non-issue, and the good people of Happytown can sleep tight. =)

Igonorance is bliss. Don't ruin it for him.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:04 PM #17 of 25
Incidentally, this seems a little outdated. And I love how the potassium iodide pill mentioned in here only blocks from one particular kind of radiation. (Or was it exclusively thought of for those poor people in Utah?)

Pang and I are sitting here reading the entire thing. I find it really interesting, but I think the realities of this are pretty. Uh. Null and void. No one is going to attempt this kind of war anytime soon. Hopefully. Sure, its good to know, but there's a lot of shit I've already read previously in this.

Also, wouldn't giving a baby honey cause anaphylactic shock?

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:47 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 07:47 PM #18 of 25
I don't think the man is suggesting that one feed children honey, seeing as how he explicitly mentioned that grains and honey meet all of the adult nutrition requirements, and how one should keep powdered milk on hand to lower the spectre of infant mortality rates.

Is a nuclear war likely? Of course not. Then again, the possibility for their occurrence isn't entirely out of the question. One requires only the will to push the button, and then the bombs start flying. (Chinese proximity to Russia, for instance, will practically guarantee that the Ruskies will be dropping their bombs on the Amerikanskis)

This is good information to know, however, even in the case of a terrorist nuclear strike. I had the suspicion that the radiational effect of fallout depended on how dense a concentration there was of it, and this thing confirmed that for me.

Also, I don't care if you've read some of this before. You're reading it again. :doggy:

Quote:
Indeed. It's like everytime somebody brings up WW1, you get the dumbest stares.

Most amazing jew boots
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:29 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 06:29 PM #19 of 25
Edit: Meh. I don't feel like arguing. You win =(

Last edited by Spike; Apr 23, 2006 at 08:54 PM.
MinionOfCthulhu
Chocobo

Member 725

Level 9.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:55 AM #20 of 25
This list is an oddly comforting one.

And then I read http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm again and realized that the list is probably wrong. How can we stand up to so many doomsdays?

We're doomed!
One of these days!

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 03:50 AM Local time: May 1, 2006, 01:50 AM #21 of 25
Ah that site is awesome! Great find. I love how they tell you of these horrifying experiences, building it up and up and then they just say, "Nah...it won't happen, at least not for a long time."

Probably my favorites on there are the grey goo theory where nanomachines that create nanofactories out of atoms will just gobble up everything in sight, effectively destorying us.

The other one is the Matrix like existance theory. We're just a computer program or something to that effect. I've always been curious about that, and even had moments where I just let my brain go and try to concieve something like that, only to bring myself to the actual world and fixate on reality. Some of the descriptions I'm sure religious people would attribute to some sort of god.

Still an interesting site and I enjoy looking through it.

Most amazing jew boots
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 08:34 AM Local time: May 1, 2006, 07:34 AM #22 of 25
The better question is, should we actually come to nuclear holocaust, do we really want the human race to survive on past the war? If the nukes start falling, I think we've officially squandered our position as dominant lifeform. Better to just pack it in and let the bears have their run of the place.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Watts

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 10:47 AM Local time: May 1, 2006, 08:47 AM #23 of 25
Originally Posted by Monkey King
The better question is, should we actually come to nuclear holocaust, do we really want the human race to survive on past the war?
Somebody should atone and maybe even make up for mistakes made.

Better to just pack it in and let the bears have their run of the place.
YOU DEFEATIST!!! Bears are human killing machines!

FELIPE NO
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 06:46 PM Local time: May 1, 2006, 04:46 PM #24 of 25
The better question is, should we actually come to nuclear holocaust, do we really want the human race to survive on past the war? If the nukes start falling, I think we've officially squandered our position as dominant lifeform. Better to just pack it in and let the bears have their run of the place.

Well considering we have survived many near extintions, the odds are that we would survive, though with severly diminished numbers. However, I doubt that we will learn from our mistakes, especially if any records of our history was destroyed in the process.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > You Will Survive Doomsday