Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Equity Week- Adjuncts on Your Campus

Dark Chocolate
Loves Her Boyfriend

Member 429

Level 13.28

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:15 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2007, 09:15 PM #1 of 10
Equity Week- Adjuncts on Your Campus

((I am doing this as research for my comp II class. I may have to use this whole thread in a presentation so keep your responses clean please))

My comp II class is learning about adjunct professors, their trials to earn a good living and how they effect students' education. My campus is holding an Equity Day event. I am just curious for those GFFers in college- 1) how do you define an adjunct? 2) how many adjuncts are on your campus? 3) what are your experiences with adjunct professors? 4) Is your campus holding any type of Equity Week event?

Discuss anything else too along the line of equity week and adjuncts. Ask any questions.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:28 AM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 12:28 AM #2 of 10
Are these kinds of threads allowed? Can't quite remember...

Anyway, here are some answers in the meantime,

1) I have no idea how to define adjunct

2) I think there are about 50 or more adjunct professors. I know I did about 50 or 60 Professor CV's that were Adjunct, whether presently or not, not sure.

3) Never had one.

4) Not sure, haven't looked into it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dark Chocolate
Loves Her Boyfriend

Member 429

Level 13.28

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 07:18 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 07:18 PM #3 of 10
Ok, let's not look at this as homework. How about curiousity research from what I am learning in Comp II. Thanks for the answer. What is a CV?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 01:28 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2007, 01:28 AM #4 of 10
Curriculum Vitae. It has all the information regarding a Professor or higher teaching in a University, at least in this case. Its like a Resume but with ALL accomplishments listed and posted including courses taught, awards, research grants, publications, degrees, etc.,

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Maico
─ ─╘Don't rob me of my ─ ─ hate: It's all I have.

Member 4527

Level 17.53

Apr 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 02:08 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2007, 12:08 AM #5 of 10
In before the no homework help?

Anyway, at our college adjunct faculty are still faculty, but they just don't have an office. Maybe it's different per college or university though, but that's how they are defined here. So they are pretty much the same as the other professors, only the campus doesn't have enough space to let them an office. I'm not sure how many adjunct there are compared to not, but probably more than not.

I was speaking idiomatically.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 02:40 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2007, 02:40 AM #6 of 10
In before the no homework help?
Well, I mentioned about it, but no one has paid any attention to me...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dark Chocolate
Loves Her Boyfriend

Member 429

Level 13.28

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:37 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2007, 11:37 AM #7 of 10
Well we've learning in my class how they are paid 63% less on avg than fulltime tenure professors and they receive no benefits, little to no job security, get the classes the tenures do not want, sometimes lose classes to tenures, and sometimes they have to go from campus to campus to get a decent pay check. We watched this film but i think it is pretty localized. The movie was Degrees of Shame but I am pretty sure they stuck with one school and it would have been nice for them to go to different campuses to see what adjuncts have to go through because it is going to be different. It seems like the movie just showed a more worse off group.

FELIPE NO
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 01:54 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2007, 11:54 AM #8 of 10
I've read an article or two about adjuncts. It's usually about people with degrees in English or Literature that can't find a job being a professor because there's not enough positions out there. Pretty much the same crunch that every other field gets now and then, but because it's dealing with academics it's getting a bit of attention.

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 02:41 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2007, 12:41 PM #9 of 10
I don't know what you kids do to your faculty out there in Florida, but here adjunct faculty is very much appreciated and regarded as part of the college family. I was adjunct graphics professor for one semester at COS and I loved doing it. However, since it was only one class the pay was paltry. I mean, I'm sure if I was doing this full time I'd probably have a job at a couple of different campuses to make ends meet, but basic health benefits ARE offered to adjunct faculty as long as they teach more than 20 hours but less than 40 hours a week.

I would've kept doing it but then I was recommended for a job at the elementary school teaching a computer class for the after-school program around the corner from my house, and right around that time they found a professor to teach the graphics classes full time so I just decided to leave that little job on hold for the time being and now do this other job full time. As far as I know, I'm still welcome back to the college to continue working there if I so feel like it but right now, the anklebiters keep me on my toes enough to warrant a polite, "Not at this time" to my old alma mater faculty.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dark Chocolate
Loves Her Boyfriend

Member 429

Level 13.28

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:20 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2007, 07:20 PM #10 of 10
Hey, Enceph thanks for the reply. It is good to hear that. That is why I started this thread because sometimes it all sounds ranty but I think the adjunct issues depends where you go.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Equity Week- Adjuncts on Your Campus