Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Cigarette ヽ(#`Д´)凸

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:21 PM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 02:21 AM #51 of 126
They aren't being forced, bartenders just choose to walk on the wild side... In the Old West it was even worse, drunk cowboys could smash up your bar or have a shootout with bandits and you couldn't do shit. Don't get into this business if you can't handle the heat.

Most amazing jew boots
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of

Last edited by Aardark; Jan 25, 2009 at 07:23 PM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:24 PM #52 of 126
I concur. We definitely should not round people up and force them to work in dangerous places. I will shut down my forced-labor smoke inhalation camps immediately.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:24 PM Local time: Jan 25, 2009, 07:24 PM #53 of 126
"That's just the way it is" is no justification for poor working conditions.

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:36 PM Local time: Jan 25, 2009, 06:36 PM #54 of 126
You and I are next on the chopping block. La Terreur de Graisse.
No we're not.

If it's fat guys by mass, it has to be Mo0. He's like a fishing trawler with legs.

If it's fat guys we hate, it has to be Dope. Because really. No one likes him.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:38 PM #55 of 126
No, but "that's the way it has to be if we want the business to flourish" is.

It's pretty fuckin' hot in a steel mill. You run a significant risk of heat prostration on a daily basis. You could theoretically run a steel mill at a cool, refreshing 70 degrees F, but I don't expect a lot of steel would get produced that way.

I'm not sure why this line has to be drawn in the sand. Certain professions have certain expectations of risk. It's like saying that we need to ban sick people from hospitals to make sure none of the poor poor doctors catch anything from them.

How ya doing, buddy?
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:49 PM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 02:49 AM 2 #56 of 126
Getting sick isn't a voluntary activity, it's not like smoking that you can easily avoid by just not doing it... Analogies suck anyway, they get more and more inane as they escalate. Just say no to analogies.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:52 PM 1 3 #57 of 126
I'm just saying it's wildly absurd to put a constraint on the common liberty for the sake of the health of a handful of individuals.

Liberty, Security, deserve neither, lose both, etc, etc

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Jan 25, 2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: SAD FACE!
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:59 PM #58 of 126
Getting sick isn't a voluntary activity, it's not like smoking that you can easily avoid by just not doing it... Analogies suck anyway, they get more and more inane as they escalate. Just say no to analogies.
Hitler was a fan of analogies he used them for his propaganda just like Brady

Now that Godwin's Law is out of the way can everybody please go back to laughing at people who hate smokers? The thread was funnier then.

Most amazing jew boots
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 08:28 PM 12 #59 of 126
My children will likely not know their grand parents well, because they'll die an early death because of their addiction. And if they don't, well... I won't let them spend much time with them anyways, because I can't allow them to look up to a smoker as a role model or authority if I can at all help it. And that is a damn shame.
You said something similar like this before, and I don't feel it was adequately covered, so I'll take the honors;

Die in a fire.

Your parents smoke so they're effectively dead to your children? Have you no respect for the people who worked long hours to put a roof over your head and food in your stomach? No appreciation for two independent people who sacrificed their independence in order to raise you right?

Did your parents rape you?
did they abandon you, either literally or figuratively through neglect?
Did they teach you poor eating habits, turning you into a giant hambeast in your teenage years?
Did they indoctrinate you into a cult, a legitimate real-life cult, something tragic like the Branch Davidians or something more mild like Scientology?
Were they addicted to hard drugs like heroin or cocaine? Were you born addicted to crack?

Have some goddamn respect you self-absorbed kid.

Additional Spam:
And love your brother too, even though he committed the grievous sin of smoking and becoming addicted to it. There are very few relationships you will have in your life that will have the depth and resilience as the one you have with your siblings, and giving that up over something as trite as his smoking habit is a damn shame indeed.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Sarag; Jan 25, 2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 09:09 PM Local time: Jan 25, 2009, 06:09 PM #60 of 126
But they reek, lurker! Stale smoke is soooo twentieth century.

lord-of-shadow
Never pet a burning dog.

Member 38

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 01:28 AM #61 of 126
As much as I hate to admit, it, give the browbeating methods you guys use to convince people around here, banning them outright like I was saying is probably a bit... extreme. It's not feasible, it's not fair to the addicts, and it's a bit too big brother. You guys are right. On that issue, at least. I'll address a couple things before I bow out:

Lurker: I wasn't referring to my own parents; it was my fiance's. Not that that makes much of a difference, I'm sure, since the same arguments could just be leveled at her. Despite this, a parent's #1 concern is generally going to be their children's well-being. Exposing them frequently to an authority figure or role model that smokes is contrary to the parent's need to raise their kids to not smoke. And said kids' future is more important than the feelings of the grandparents. Grandparents who, at least in the case of my fiance's parents, will understand and respect the reasoning behind it, even if it pains them.

Moving on, my brother does not smoke. If he did, I would not break off the relationship, for the reasons you so elegantly pointed out. I would likely not spend as much time with him though, and the same reasoning that applied to the kids and grandparents would apply to him.

Quote:
Are you going to address the automotive exhaust parallel anytime in the next week, you dodgy cunt?
I'm not familiar with the automotive exhaust dangers. I have no opinion, and won't until I know enough to justify opening my mouth on the subject. You understand, I'm sure.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 02:04 AM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 12:04 AM #62 of 126
I have no opinion, and won't until I know enough to justify opening my mouth on the subject.
Yeah. Imagine that.

Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 03:34 AM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 01:34 AM #63 of 126
I'm from a state that has banned smoking (chewing tobacco, as far as I know, are not banned from indoors) in most all public / corporate business areas for a good decade or so now. I've been around the world enough where anti-smoking laws aren't put to place as strongly, and contrasting those smoker-friendly areas to where I live, I can honestly say that I'm glad we do have the anti-smoking laws we have here. I appreciate it. I'm glad that it's been a while enough that smokers have now learned to deal with going outside to smoke without too much complaint and that non-smokers can enjoy fresh air when they're eating / working.

I don't think it's necessary to put a ban on cigarettes. Those who buy and consume them know what they're getting themselves into and it's a choice. While the habit, much like drinking can be policed, it's very difficult to ban the product itself. It's better to raise the taxes / general price of tobacco products to discourage usage, but as long as the person purchasing the product is A) of legal age to do so, and B) is doing it in a space that is considered courteous to others (i.e., designated smoking areas in wide open spaces or in their private quarters or generally away from other non-smokers), I personally don't have a problem with people buying the products themselves.

My friends, yes, I threaten them that I will kick their balls for smoking in front of me, but that's because they are my friends and they should know it's because I genuinely care. Generally if I don't see them smoking, I leave them be. People on the internet I meet whom I consider friends, I also don't care. I do care about them trying to be healthier and will support them, but I know that smokers need to realize for themselves in order to quit and no amount of outsiders yapping and nagging is going to make them stop, so I'm not going to bother being a nuisance. I care about them, I do wish that they'd consider quitting, but unless they're going to wake up each morning determined to quit, I will leave them be until they decide to quit.

FELIPE NO
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 04:19 AM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 01:19 AM #64 of 126
I just find it's usually not my business to try to control the way another person chooses to live their life. Given that it's their's, you know, and, well, not mine. If something they choose to do has no effect on me, who am I to berate them to do otherwise?

But I dunno. That's just me.

Ballpark Frank
Regressing Since 1988

Member 3605

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 04:28 AM #65 of 126
I just find it's usually not my business to try to control the way another person chooses to live their life. Given that it's their's, you know, and, well, not mine. If something they choose to do has no effect on me, who am I to berate them to do otherwise?

But I dunno. That's just me.
The fact that it's been proven that second hand smoke directly contributes to the deterioration of non-smokers health kinda renders your post moot. When someone near me is smoking to me, it's having a negative effect on my health. If you'd like to argue that second hand smoke doesn't actually cause non-smokers in the vicinity to experience shortness of breath, headaches, coughing/sneezing, or any other unwlecome side effects, please feel free to do so.

I mean, you're going to come off sounding like a complete jackass, but please, feel free. When you smoke within any proximity of another person, you're having an effect on their health. If you're trying to speak about the subject in some larger context? Fuck me, all apologies.

(For the record, Delaware outlawed smoking in all public businesses a few years back. For the record, I did not agree with it then, nor do I agree with it now. That asie, arguing that second hand smoke doesn't effect non-smokers is just damn silly.)

Last edited by Ballpark Frank; Jan 26, 2009 at 04:31 AM.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 04:45 AM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 01:45 AM #66 of 126
I don't know what kind of people you hang around with, but anytime I want to light up around a group of friends, I always ask if they mind. If it's a very public place and I'm alone, I go off to the side with the rest of the smokers.

My smoking has no effect on my friends, and I do my best to make sure it has no effect on the rest of the people around me. Not quite sure where I explicitly spelled out I was arguing the position of second-hand smoke being harmless, but you do seem awful convinced so I'll cede the argument. And besides, it's cute when you get all blabbery and repetitive.

How ya doing, buddy?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 07:30 AM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 01:30 PM #67 of 126
I hate being told to stop doing something for my own health. To be honest, I'd rather have a load of fun until I'm 50 and drop dead than have a really fucking boring life and live to 90, given that from 65 onwards I'll probably have bad bones and dementia and shit anyway. Until medical science has advanced to the point where being old isn't incredibly shit, I'll stick to the fags, booze and drugs cheers.

It always makes me laugh when non-smokers claim that smoke free bars mean they go out more. There were a few no smoking bars in Brighton long before the retarded ban kicked in and none ever lasted more than six months. By banning smoking in bars the government has cut their income from tobacco taxes, cut income from booze taxes and increased the unemployment benefits pay-outs when all the barmen and landlords lose their income. The resulting cost far outwieghs any benefit to the cost of the health service.

There were moves to ban cigarette advertising in the Czech Republic a few years back which was swiftly ended when the tobacco companies pointed out that revenue from tobacco taxes were five times the cost of smoking related illness to the heath service.

How ya doing, buddy?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 08:17 AM #68 of 126
So wait. Smoking is BAD?

I didn't hear this from anyone, ever.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:26 AM #69 of 126
Lurker: I wasn't referring to my own parents; it was my fiance's. Not that that makes much of a difference, I'm sure, since the same arguments could just be leveled at her. Despite this, a parent's #1 concern is generally going to be their children's well-being. Exposing them frequently to an authority figure or role model that smokes is contrary to the parent's need to raise their kids to not smoke. And said kids' future is more important than the feelings of the grandparents. Grandparents who, at least in the case of my fiance's parents, will understand and respect the reasoning behind it, even if it pains them.

Moving on, my brother does not smoke. If he did, I would not break off the relationship, for the reasons you so elegantly pointed out. I would likely not spend as much time with him though, and the same reasoning that applied to the kids and grandparents would apply to him.
Yeah, both you and your fiancee are douchebags.

Consider: if you cut family out of your life because they smoke*, you are teaching your children that it's okay to cut family out of their lives over tiny slights. Better not plan on depending on them for anything, ever.

* and only visiting them when you absolutely have to is essentially cutting them out of your life, Mr. Pedant For Rules

Midna
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 18121

Level 20.86

Jan 2007

Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:48 AM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 09:48 AM 2 #70 of 126
My children will likely not know their grand parents well...I won't let them spend much time with them anyways, because I can't allow them to look up to a smoker as a role model or authority if I can at all help it. And that is a damn shame.

After reading the last few posts in this thread, I went back to see if this was actually what you meant. It's unbelievable that it is.

Cutting someone out of your kids' lives is serious, especially when it's the grandparents. You need to lighten the hell up sir, and learn to compromise. You could very easily just tell her parents that you don't want the kids breathing second hand smoke from them, and to please not smoke near the kids. I'm sure these people are reasonable enough to take it to a different room, or outside so they can keep seeing their grandchildren.

What you fail to see here is that you're being overly strict, and not blinking an eye about cutting out close family over something that is not that serious. If you try to be this controlling in general as a parent it will blow up in your face. When kids are young, they have little choice as to what you do to control their environment, but do you think for a minute that when one of those kids hits about 14 or 15 years old (if it even takes that long) he/she won't tell you to fuck right off and tell you what a jerk you are for keeping them from grandma and grandpa just because they're smokers?

It's also a fantastic way to start a marriage. Alienating one set of parents right off the bat, letting them know they'll likely never see their future grandchildren because of something like this. I'd like to point out also that you're concerned about how a kid would turn out when they have smokers for role models, but you see nothing lacking in your fiancee, who was raised by smokers. I have no idea how old you are, nor do I care, but you are far too immature for marriage.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:00 PM #71 of 126
I'd like to point out also that you're concerned about how a kid would turn out when they have smokers for role models, but you see nothing lacking in your fiancee, who was raised by smokers.
f'real

FELIPE NO
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:03 PM #72 of 126
Smokers are fucking awful people, don't you know that guys? They're the WORST THING you can expose your child to!

This kid is a young internet tough guy who doesn't know jack shit about anything in the real world if he's this worried about smokers.

I think, Lord of Whatever, that you should possibly take your female friend and go hide out in a cabin in the woods, far far away from everyone. If you take issue with family over such a miniscule thing, you're going to have a HELL OF A TIME raising children. I really hope you reconsider bringing a child into this world, because frankly, you're unfit.

wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 01:03 PM #73 of 126
Honestly, you should be more worried about the non-smokers who think that second-hand smoke is THE BOMB than smokers.

I AM A HORRIBLE FUCKING ROLE MODEL, CUNTERS.

It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 01:08 PM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 06:08 PM #74 of 126
Aside from my grandmother - who died last year as a result of chaining unfiltered cigarettes for nigh on half a century - my family is entirely non-smoking. Without counting school lectures on the dangers involved, I had no exposure to the habit as a kid. I can't remember ever not being aware of the health risks. I've seen a string of new laws creep in over the past few years - laws that irritated me even before I started smoking. The ban on advertising, the ban on indoor smoking, the legal age for buying tobacco products being raised to 18 and now the impending (and frighteningly stupid) ban on displaying cigarettes in shops.

Despite all this, both my brother and I smoke. Why? Blame the public school thing. It's a pleasurable activity. We both acknowledge the health effects. We don't smoke in the presence of people who find it offensive. I can't see any rational justification for lowering your opinion of someone as a whole on the basis of their being a smoker. Judge people on their own merits, not on some stupid fucking niggling thing you disagree with.

Simply put: don't be a prick. It's not cool.

I'm not sure what's worse - the government telling me what's bad for me, or self-righteous fucks getting antsy about something that needn't affect them at all.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Krelian; Jan 26, 2009 at 01:18 PM.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Jan 26, 2009, 02:48 PM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 03:48 PM #75 of 126
YouTube Video

He says it better than I ever could.

In all seriousness tough, like most of the smokers in this thread, I'll very rarely light up before asking those around me if they mind or not, and whenever I'm in a public place I respect that 10 meters distance law they have over here. I try to be as much out of the way of people walking on the street as possible.

But when somebody goes out of their way to come up to me and tell about how I shouldn't smoke cause it's bad for me and think of the money and etc. In all honesty that is about as annoying a person can get in my book. If I somehow would not be conscious of all these things, I'd already be a lost cause anyway so I don't see how their preaching is gonna change anything. I've had this happen a number of times while I was outside my apartment having a smoke and I honestly cannot understand what possesses a person to do this.

I think I'd rather have someone ring my doorbell at seven in the morning to tell me how good their book is than have to go through that again. At least them religious types make for good entertainment.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Juggle dammit

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Cigarette ヽ(#`Д´)凸