Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Director John Hughes Dies, Aged 59

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:03 PM 4 #1 of 18
Director John Hughes Dies, Aged 59

Filmmaker John Hughes dies at 59

This is one of those things that you never expect to read - and never know how to react to.

I wouldn't say I was a huge John Hughes fan, really. But Breakfast Club was about as tone perfect an 80s movie got. It was some kind of weird affirmation of my childhood, almost validating that I was alive in the world when something so impossibly positive was created without sarcasm or cynicism. Its certainly the sort of movie that any type of remake would automatically miss the point of, in the same way that the remake of Red Dawn automatically misses the point by its simple existence alone: its not the dialouge or the characters or the actors but a certain point of time in the world.

Its good that Hughes existed when he did, since theres obviously no market for his type of movie making anymore. Its considered saccharin, hokey and outdated but the fact of the matter is that its overly ernest and that scares a lot of people who are so use to being up to their necks in nihilistic garbage like Nolan Batman movies and 300 and Tarantino knee-jerk reactions. People are afraid of not being some fake, socially accepted edgy - and have driven themselves from feeling much else in entertainment.

Because, seriously, who can't smile at this:

"And these children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations, they are quite aware of what they are going through." -David Bowie

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rangel
Not as new as he looks

Member 1986

Level 9.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:23 PM #2 of 18
Jesus...This really IS a bad year for Hollywood.

I'm glad I live in New York, and I'm a nobody this year. Chances of me making it past 60 is looking pretty good!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
A4: IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE SLAVE LORDS
6C. Kobold's Kitchen

Member 773

Level 21.70

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:52 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2009, 09:52 PM 8 #3 of 18
Lets see a quick perusal of imdb shows that he wasn't a complete waste of meat given that he made Weird Science and Christmas Vacation. So we'll call it a mildly disappointed meh at this news.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lady, I was gonna cut you some slack, cause you're a major mythological figure but now you've just gone nuts!
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:55 PM 3 #4 of 18
Lets see a quick perusal of imdb shows that he wasn't a complete waste of meat given that he made Weird Science and Christmas Vacation. So we'll call it a mildly disappointed meh at this news.
YouTube Video

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:06 PM #5 of 18
No amount of dissing can possibly do this offensive post justice, then again, aren't you a freegan? You can't get much lower on the totem pole than that.

John Hughes was a tremendously important director, definitely THE voice for the 80s as LeHah eloquently put it. His work (notably The Breakfast Club) was a tremendous influence on me and he will be sorely missed. What an awful piece of news.

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2009, 12:02 AM Local time: Aug 6, 2009, 11:02 PM #6 of 18
Whoa, off topic time, Cette is a freegan?
Explains a lot, doesn't it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

A4: IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE SLAVE LORDS
6C. Kobold's Kitchen

Member 773

Level 21.70

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2009, 05:00 AM Local time: Aug 7, 2009, 05:00 AM #7 of 18
Well I had just been planning to leave it at that since I'd said my piece and that was the extent I cared to mess with it. But a freegan? really you can have George Carlin call me a cocksucker all you wish but I have to take a stand on this issue. For the record I eat all animals and I'm normally in the practice of paying for them.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go consume a buffalo.

FELIPE NO
Lady, I was gonna cut you some slack, cause you're a major mythological figure but now you've just gone nuts!
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2009, 09:55 AM #8 of 18
In this entry, history tells CetteHampsterLa to piss off: We'll Know When We Get There: Sincerely, John Hughes

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:13 AM Local time: Aug 7, 2009, 08:13 AM #9 of 18
God-fucking-damnit! I grew up watching his movies in the 80's. The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Weird Science and Pretty In Pink are some of my favorite movies of all time. Sad day for film history indeed.

Wasn't he working on a new movie?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:28 AM #10 of 18
Not as far as I know... He hasn't directed anything in YEARS if I'm not mistaken.

Most amazing jew boots
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:44 AM #11 of 18
He backed out of the industry after scripting Home Alone. Years ago, I read an interview that part of it was that Producers and Industry People just wanted him to churn out more Brat Pack-esque material just for money, not caring about the continuing quality of his writing. They basically wanted to whore out his style, his writing identification, so he left. We should all be so brave.

The link I posted above also gives reasons that were unknown to me before today. Now I wish I wrote to him. Not for the reply, but now knowing the person he was.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:56 AM Local time: Aug 7, 2009, 08:56 AM #12 of 18
Yeah, I knew as much from an interview that's on the Ferris Bueller's Day Off DVD. (I think it's on that one, at least) I had just heard from a friend that he was rumored to be working on writing another movie. As far as I know, the last movie he directed was Curly Sue.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:38 AM Local time: Aug 7, 2009, 05:38 PM #13 of 18
He was co-writing stuff (Drillbit Taylor) under his pen name as recently as a few years ago according to the New York Times...but kind of fell into obscurity for the most part.

Damn, this is sad Breakfast Club is one of my favorite teen movies. Might have to finally go and buy it now...

I was speaking idiomatically.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2009, 01:18 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2009, 11:18 AM 1 #14 of 18
The fuck you mean "buy it now"? I own that movie on BETA TAPE, son.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2009, 01:51 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2009, 12:51 PM #15 of 18
What Beaner is thinking of is the fact that John was going to return to directing to produce something for Chicago's Olympic bid.

That link is really nice, LeHah.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Director John Hughes Dies, Aged 59