Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Dragonball Z (live action)

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:53 PM #1 of 23
Dragonball Z (live action)

Here's the obligatory FAKE POSTER that was created many moons ago:

The movie has been dead in the water for a couple of years then all of the sudden, updated with hints that its to start filming this year.

Originally Posted by movies.ign.com
September 4, 2007 - It looks like 20th Century Fox is rushing the long-awaited live-action movie adaptation of Dragon Ball Z into production before the looming industry strikes happen next year.

According to the Montreal Gazette, Dragon Ball Z will shoot in Montreal sometime in the coming year; while an exact start date isn't known yet, the paper reports that production is expected to be completed by next July.

Dragon Ball Z is based on the manga by Akira Toriyama, which also beget an anime series of the same name. There's no word yet on who will write or direct the picture.

UPDATED: 20th Century Fox has informed IGN that this report cannot be confirmed as neither start dates nor locations are locked in at this point.
While the filming start date is yet announced, the movie is back on track it seems. (Wonder if Hans Zimmer would still be doing the music for this as he was supposedly attatched to it a couple of years ago.

According to what is actually known about this, the movie is supposed to be a trilogy of movies. (Going through each saga as a movie) The first one is supposed to be based on the Vegeta saga.

Way back when there was a poll on the DBZ official site asking people who would be a good candidate for the main characters. Tom Cruise was chosen (if memory serves correctly, in which I hope to god it doesn't) to be Goku (LOL) and Jackie Chan was a strong lead for Vegeta.

With the movie back underway, (and no cast/writer/composer announced of of yet) it's that time for rumors and who would actually do each role justice.

Jack Black for Yajirobi, why even lie about that.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by dagget; Oct 17, 2007 at 12:55 PM.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2007, 05:02 PM #2 of 23
I highly doubt a live action movie of Dragonball Z would do any good. They'd be better off doing a CG movie and then dubbing the voices with people from the Ocean Group. That said, if this movie happens and doesn't flop, I'll be really surprised. I guess my doubts lie with how they're going to do the fighting styles of the DBZ universe with live action (teleportation, ki blasts, and powering up).

I dunno, I've just got a really bad feeling about this movie.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2007, 05:11 PM Local time: Oct 18, 2007, 12:11 AM #3 of 23
Heh, I can't believe they're doing it.

Oh, it can never beat the Chinese version anyway.

YouTube Video

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
MakoAoyama

Member 25370

Level 5.43

Oct 2007

Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:09 PM #4 of 23
Oh, god help us all.
Yeah, it seems cool, but man I'm worried. This is one of those things that could easily turn out to be another BloodRayne or Dead or Alive movie. Cheesy as all hell and not worth it's weight in used toilet paper.

I'm a-scareded!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:38 PM Local time: Oct 18, 2007, 08:38 PM #5 of 23
They should get that one guy on the train who looks like Mr. Satan to play Mr. Satan. You know what picture I'm talking about.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:38 PM #6 of 23
Is it wrong that I found that video very entertaining?

Quote:
September 4, 2007 - It looks like 20th Century Fox is rushing the long-awaited live-action movie adaptation of Dragon Ball Z into production before the looming industry strikes happen next year.
Cause they know DBZ will generate a shitload of money, which will hold them above water during the strike.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:33 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2007, 10:33 PM #7 of 23
I've always thought that the wrestler Goldberg should play Nappa. I can't think of anyone else though.

FELIPE NO
Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 02:38 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2007, 07:38 PM #8 of 23
@ Chinese DB... LOL!
@ Mr. Satan looka-alike on train for Mr. Satan... Perfect!
@ Goldberg for Nappa... yep, totally.

Live-action could be good, especially if they use plenty of nice outdoor environments and give it a manga-ish tone (kinda like how 300 kinda looked like a dynamic graphic novel at times). I always though the aerial burly brawl in Matrix Revolutions would be how fights would play out in a DBZ movie.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
ApOkwARG
IDDQD

Member 23708

Level 7.77

Aug 2007

Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:02 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2007, 01:02 PM #9 of 23
@ Chinese DB... LOL!
@ Mr. Satan looka-alike on train for Mr. Satan... Perfect!
@ Goldberg for Nappa... yep, totally.

Live-action could be good, especially if they use plenty of nice outdoor environments and give it a manga-ish tone (kinda like how 300 kinda looked like a dynamic graphic novel at times). I always though the aerial burly brawl in Matrix Revolutions would be how fights would play out in a DBZ movie.
I strongly disagree about making a live-action DBZ movie... it's not worth it IMHO. Japanese manga/anime have such a different drawing style that just isn't comparable with real-life; i'm talking mainly about the characters here but the style is primarily much more about expressions like showing emotions, shading that decides the feel of various environments and/or situations, comical situations, focus etc.
Most western comics that make use of a realistic drawing style however are excellent candidates since they can be matched easily with existing actors and their talents; we could see this in movies like Spider-Man, Batman, 300 or Sin City. Not only is it the realistic drawing style that fits but it's also the setting, which is western for the majority, plus we have the experience to film it to our standards because we live by these standards.

I'm not saying live-action is impossible but a CG animated movie would be the better choice and even better if it's made by the Japanese. It is able to stay true to their standards of what makes an anime/manga and thus avoids dissapointing fans with a "new" look this way.

Last edited by ApOkwARG; Oct 19, 2007 at 06:05 AM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:08 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2007, 05:08 AM #10 of 23
I got contacted about this flick a while back, so I've had my hands on a rough draft of the script for a while. I've also been approached about working on the set, and I wouldn't get your hopes up. The script is maybe 1/4 done. The shooting staff isn't even remotely assembled. If they are rushing this to get it done before the strikes, it's going to be a fucking chop job. They don't even have someone actually attached to full time writing staff, it's being handled completely in house, which means by in house script doctoring. Which means 30 some people working on it, who rarely actually talk to each other.

This is going to be a trainwreck, if it even happens.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:17 AM 1 #11 of 23
My hopes for this movie have never been exactly stellar. I have about the same feelings about this as I do the live action World of Warcraft movie. Since it's not being targetted for a summer release, then I can only think of it being disasterous (not that movies not being marketed for the Summer Blockbuster area are, but something that's like this, yeah.)

The pain train is coming and it's full steam ahead, baby. wooowooo!

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:50 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2007, 07:50 AM #12 of 23
Dagget, I have been super bloody amused by your av since you put it up. "WILD THING!"

Also, yeah, this is going to be just a car accident.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 03:29 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2007, 12:29 PM #13 of 23
Yep this is awesome.

Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:24 PM #14 of 23
'Dragonball' comes to bigscreen - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

Wow.

The kid from War of the Worlds as Gokou, and Spike as Piccolo.

WHY...

Can I get Arnold as Broli.

"GET DOWN."

::Genki Dama::

Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:30 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 05:30 PM #15 of 23
Take shelter!

FELIPE NO
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:59 PM #16 of 23
Whoa, wait a minute. That says its DragonBall and that Piccolo is the villain. So we went from a live action DBZ to a live action DB...I've still got a bad feeling about it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 08:33 PM #17 of 23
Bleh. I was counting on Vegeta being the bad guy. But if it's Dragonball... wouldn't Goku be a kid? I can't remember Piccolo being evil in DBZ, but then again, I haven't bought the first season on DVD yet, still need to do that...

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 08:37 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2007, 07:37 PM #18 of 23
No you don't. It fucking sucks.

Jesus, James. I know you've been hard up for acting roles, but THIS?

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 08:42 PM #19 of 23
Well I just want to have a complete seasons of a series more than anything. I hate the fact the DVDs are straight from the Japanese master copies. (I liked the US guitar theme instead of the japanese themes). But eh.

Hey, if you don't want to work on this film Deni, how bout hooking a brother up. I need to add more stuff to my IMDB resume

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 08:44 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2007, 07:44 PM #20 of 23
Eh, the guy who was bringing me in as part of his crew passed on this. Last I heard, though, they were actually booking out Alliance Atlantis in Toronto. So if you wanted to apply to anyone, it would be them. Or, I can grab a phone number for you if you want. I'm sure they can always use more grips.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:19 PM #21 of 23
But if it's Dragonball... wouldn't Goku be a kid?
Goku was an adult in the very last story arc where he battle the Piccolo that you see in DBZ. There was another Piccolo that was Piccolo's father but could arguably be considered the same character, Goku fought that one as a kid.

"Out thought and out fought."
makura
!

Member 337

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:46 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 11:46 AM #22 of 23
trailer

Looks like they've re-written the backstory too.

If they ever try to reboot this.. (like they did the Hulk movie) they better make Roshi a scrawny pervert.. You can't have Dragonball without that. He seems too serious in this one.

Last edited by makura; Dec 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM.
Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 01:13 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 01:13 PM #23 of 23
Well, no matter which way you slice it, it'd be almost impossible for anyone to pull off an old, scrawny pervert. Granted, I thought since they cast Chow Yun Fat, then he'd be able to pull off the perverted side pretty well.

Alas, he does seem a bit serious.

As for the movie...if anyone goes into a DB movie expecting a huge, magnificent plot, deep storyline and character development, you might as well shoot yourself in the head.

You could have everyone stand in a big circle for an hour and a half grunting and you'd have pretty close story material to the series.

As long as the action is decent, the main dude can actually MAKE it look like he knows how to fight, and the special effects are stunning, that's all that matters.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Dragonball Z (live action)