Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2010, 11:22 PM #1 of 352
Movies/Shows you have seen recently?

I have been wanting to make this thread for a while. It'll just cover movies I had seen over the past week or a couple of days apart. My rental status allows me to do this with at least 4 movies a week and on occasion I'll catch one on cable.

Anyway I know several of us have netflix accounts and had been watching movies every now and then. I'd love to hear you guys and your comments about movies you had seen, not necessarily have to rate them or something, just your casual initial thoughts! Kinda like a journal on what you had seen.

I'll go ahead and start.

Last week:

The Red Shoes Queued this just for catch all asian horror when I was queuing up a bunch. I was disappointed. Its not what I thought it'd be and had it on 1.5x the whole time. I'm sure atmosphere helps some but meh. Do recommend for catch all asian horror but not that recommended at the moment.

La Mujer de Mi Hermano Recommended by a friend, good romance drama movie with spanish origin in a rich lifestyle setting. I liked it quite a bit, but I wasn't into romance dramas though. She's hot as hell though! Guys might enjoy this. Do not let that cover sway you, she's better looking than that.

(500) Days of Summer GAF fucking hype. I keep seeing references to this movie and I thought I bump it up and watch it finally. I shouldn't have hyped myself for this AND MOST especially watched this AFTER Brick. Whereas Gorden-Levitt was awesome in. He was such a pussy in this movie. I was so sad. Good movie though, just different take on relationships and stuff.

From Within Yeah, that's right, took me a minute to remember why I queued this. I browsing Netflix and saw a review that gave this movie 5 stars and I'm like what the hell, its unheard of kind of movie and I read it. It spoilered the first 5 minutes and its accurate to say the whole movie pretty much works itself out like that too. I agreed especially at the end when it was so satisfying on par with level of like Drag Me to Hell.

Next Week Preview: DEADWOOD SEASON 1.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2010, 04:49 AM #2 of 352
Ooh, its been a month already? LOL. Totally forgot about this thread. Ah well. Its time to update my silly movie backlog.
Spoiler:

War of Worlds - Tom Cruise's, happen to see this on cable. Skills did me a huge favor telling me to NOT waste a rental on this. He was fucking right. Excellent graphics. But THAT WAS IT. The rest is just awkward trash. What the hell, spielburg?

Lucky Number Slevin - Bruce Willis was an interesting character in this movie although he didn't say/do much. Its mostly that annoying Josh Hartnett, and I really like how the second half of the movie took a real serious downer sort of turn oppose to "slapstick" comedy in the first half. Was that just me or that's just how it went down?

Thumbsucker - There's not a whole lot of thumbsucking in this like I'd thought to be seeing. And that's a good thing. Sort of. But its mostly about family/school dynamics from a confused teen. Another fucking teen movie but hey, Tilda Swinton is in this. I also still like D'Onofrio no matter what he does. And that idiotic Keanu is in there too, that if you seriously HATE him, then put this movie in your avoid list. LOL

Elizabethtown - Orlando Bloom, LotR's elf. Not sure why I queued this. But as soon as Dunst entered the picture, I cringed. I despise her but her character somewhat grew on me in this movie SOMEHOW. Its not a love story, but a character development/journey as the blurb/cover wasn't making it out to be.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - I queued this due to the bandwagoning somewhere and lol I absolutely find myself loving Downey Jr so much more after this. Excellent noir "slapstick". I should say that the slapstick is light but still, they found time to have fun! Which is why I loved this movie, its excellent fun to watch.

Everything Is Illuminated - I like artsy fartsy sort of movies and the cover caught my eye. The blurb for this movie also caught my fancy too and decided to check it out. I wasn't disappointed by what it is and a bit touching drama added too. The dynamic between the characters were amusing and sweet.

Tsotsi - South Africa filmed location. Awesome first for me I think, and I liked the dynamics between the characters. Cannot tell if it was genuine or it was the culture there which is still a plus, I'd learn something new anyway. The ending was rather disappointing though. Not the "right" thing he did, but rather the whole surrendering of it. :\

Stay - This is a movie that surprised me and much more so pleasantly. That stupid blurb/cover does not even do this movie justice. I highly recommended it to Kyndig for this movie. He likes movies where your mind bends you into thinking about life and death sort of stuff. Ya know, conflict between yourself. He better fucking queue it already. But yeah, I really loved the music at the end sequence and it was just surreal experience afterall. One of those random gems I happen to find and enjoy. It was creepy, shocking, sweet and riveting at the same time. I don't even know how that's even possible but yeah. Ryan Gosling made this movie for me.

Good Night, and Good Luck - Bandwagon queue and imagine my surprise, George Clooney as a director and an actor in this. But mostly about David Strathairn and his good portrayal of Edward Murrow. I did liked how well versed Murrow was, I didn't know about this bit of history and it was a nice watch.

Creep - Shin's recommendation I think. And I apologize, this movie BLOWS. I did like the suspense/location at first, but they fucking showed that freakshow all too soon and it just dragged ON and ON for the next hour and in particular the 20 minutes before the ending sequence. >.<

Voice - Asian horror, and I was disappointed by my prediction that they'll pull a "hero is the villan!" twist. Ah well, it was meh at best.

The Quiet - I don't even know how to describe this movie. Spoiler AHOY. Incest, awkward family dynamic, teenagers and their sexual repressive confessions, deaf/mute isolation, and what looks like lesbian action tease too. Oh and a murder.

King Kong - Jackson's version and I did NOT like how they tried to put so much emphasis on the relationship between the darn ape and the blonde woman. >.< Even the death-defying adventures in the jungle seemed met with awkwardness when they couldn't fathom at how many had died amongst of them. Their running away/with the brontosaurs were hilarious enough.

Three ... Extremes - Again, asian horror but in 3 small 40 minute segments. I liked this somewhat and added a bit of interesting movie palette I suppose.

Deadwood S1 - Great show, and Swearengen is awesome. His name pretty much fits. xD

To be seen next week; Narc, The Squid and the Whale, and Junebug.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2010, 08:02 AM #3 of 352
I watched a good movie last night to make an update!

Spoiler:
Narc - Kyndig's recommendation, and he's right, that's mentally fucked up at the very end. Zooming on that tape recorder is like how maddening is that. The ending definitely does left behind a bigger impression than the whole movie.

The Squid and the Whale - I laughed at this. It supposed to be taken seriously about a couple divorcing and its aftereffects on their kids (which is still fucked up but lolworthy). Whatever, I had seen kids go through worse than that and still don't do that stupid shit.

Junebug - Okay, I must confess, I'm from the south and Amy McAdam doesn't bother me at all, she was a precious character. And the whole movie really depict the south and I enjoyed it somewhat. Mostly the home feel, making me feel nostalgic for home. And yeah, being to my friends' houses and such, all this movie just brings it to home about the details.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Tails and Q's recommendation I believe. Its nice and sweet. Just as about I expected from an anime movie. I did find myself being irritated by the main girl, and wanted her to just "grow a pair". xD

Timecrimes (Los CronocrĂ­menes) - This is the best "time travel and their consequences" movie I had ever seen. I thought Primer tops it but I was so wrong. Highly recommend it guys! Referred by GAF when everyone was gushing about Primer, and repeatedly several members referred to this movie being so much better.

On Hulu
The Gates Pilot - Vamp/werewolves/demons/witches in a gated community? Sign me up! The pilot was alright, I'll definitely give this season a try.

The Scoundrels Pilot - So and so, a family trying to go straight after being a family of "scoundrels" for so long. The brunette has an interesting plot that I'd love to read more into. The rest can just go to the bin.

Persons Unknown first 4 episodes - Thought the premise was interesting, but then after the second episode, I get the feeling that they're riding on the LOST fame here. :\ I was disappointed and was hoping better. I do like Moira's side plot, she proves to be an interesting character out of all of them.

To be seen next week - The Butterfly, The Fall, and Clerks 2

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Philia; Jul 1, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:34 AM #4 of 352
Netflix coming to Canada

Congrats you silly canadians, about time you guys join me here! Now they would fucking implement subs/cc into their streaming like HULU already, it'd be 100% more awesome.

As for what I had seen recently, its not much or all that noteworthy. But I'll mention them anyway.

Spoiler:
The Butterfly - French movie about a old man and a little girl hunting for a rare butterfly. Its a sweet movie and the landscape they trekked through was pretty awesome. Mostly about their budding relationship (innocent I swear!) as they went about.

The Fall - This movie is uh weird. I queued this because I kept hearing about it and that it defied all sorts of cinematography locations or something. On the locations yes, its all sorts of spectacular! The story involving the little girl and crippled dude unfolding was pretty neat. But most of the movie was taking place within the fable that dude was telling the little girl. Exotic locations, set ups, foreign attire, surreal backdrops. Especially in that one large town where most of the buildings were painted blue in stark contrast with their white neighbors. Its a pretty movie. And the surprise at the end was bittersweet.

Clerks 2 - I had great memories of the first one and yet somehow, it took me a decade to watch this one and the theme fits. The recurring characters came back 10 years later on this movie and they're still at their old selves and it gave me an old blanket feel. The part where they went to the kart track somewhat hit home for me too. Its the same shit I'd do even at that age and his reasoning behind it resonated with me too. Good movie, bad humor, but still amusing.

Origin: Spirits of the Past - It starts out interesting and pretty good, but then the last half of it just turned into something else I didn't like. Hamfisting a "return to earth" theme is pretty obvious and I noticed right away the quality of the anime fell off from there too. Its okay but not recommended.

Crazy Eights - LOL whenever I had a bad feeling about a movie, I put it in the ps3 and let it run on 1.5x. But yes, it was that painfully slow and its just bad overall. The plot doesn't even make sense, the characters were horribly bland. BAD BAD B movie. Shame on you.

The Science of Sleep - This is the best I had seen Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal in (so far). He was just great. His attitude was somehow believable even in his dreamlike state, and he was intoxicating to watch. But yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to see him and especially more so after Paco's recommendations had set me up with several of his older works previously.

Feast - Oooh, this was the Greenlight project. LOL, I queued this because I like survival horror. Its not bad, there's some dumb laughs, but I find myself wondering what the hell was the director was thinking at with some of these scenes. IE monster's penis castration.

To be seen this week: The Messengers, Superman Returns, and Pulse.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:39 PM #5 of 352
Spoiler:

Eragon - I thought it started okay (<3 Jeremy Irons) but then, I started to notice how brief most of the scenes that could had been meaningful/with potential were. I realized how bad this would had been if it was coming from a book series. :\ And it was.

Bordertown - J.Lo is in this and its not a bad movie overall. It seems to trying to be like a documentary but her star status and some filler in between made this movie a little awkward. But the plot was pretty solid and at least eye opening at the revealing about trade and how it affects the other side of the fence (literally).

Ghost Rider - I wasn't going to queue this at all because ya know, I knew Nic has some castles to pay off and etc. This may be one of them bad casting decisions but hey, the trailer showed off some stupid eye candy I liked. Its just best to watch this in such dumb down fun. But hey, its Nic Cage!

Special - It advertised with closed captions on netflix. No go. :\

Pulse - Again, what a horrible thing for a director to include a hamfisted message in his movie! I queued this just for Kirsten Bell and she delivers some and some ghost horror but this movie's ending just nearly made me want my two hours back. :\ If they were ripped apart than advertising that stupid nature vs technology debate, I'd be satisfied with that. Politics should have no fucking place in horror. Unless its one of them rules. Like virgins dying first.

Premonition - Queued this sort of at the last minute, I liked Bullock but not in this one. Again, shitty copout ending makes me want my hours back too. It was a great going but later you'd remember some of the consistencies.

Superman Returns - I wasn't a big of a Superman fan but I was a fan of the movies in the 80s and Smallville. This movie was weird, I wasn't sure but confused about the premise. Was it a comeback of Superman or was it redemption of his actions or was it something else altogether with his "family". Kate Bosworth made me cringe and they all kept insisting that she was a miscast and I believe it. She was barely believable as Lois. :\

The Messengers - Oh, Twilight's Kirsten is in this. Again, queued for ghost horror, and it was alright at first but it just sort of dragged focusing mostly on the kid seeing them. I do like the special effects of the ghosts. It wasn't half assed and their (the ghosts) presentation/plot was well done unlike most ghost horror stories I had seen. There was even a nice closure at the end.

To be seen next this week: The Breed, The Break-Up, and Smokin' Aces

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Philia; Aug 3, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:12 AM #6 of 352
Saw a decent movie recently for an update.

Spoiler:
Stranger than Fiction - Now this is the movie that was surprisingly awesome. Those who went in for Will Ferrell comedy should come away disappointed and I expected this when I went in thankfully. Like Alan Sandler's Punch Drunk Love, this is Will Ferrell's. I loved it quite a bit and definitely became one of those movies that left behind something for whole evening.

Mulberry Street - What a terrible rental, one of those that I wish I can take back! Oh well, I do give it props for the set and interesting thinning cast of characters but lol rat people? xD

The Da Vinci Code - Oh. Tom Hanks looked like he was uncomfortable doing this job the whole time. It was kinda odd at the end and I liked Tautou in other movies she was in. But somehow this movie didn't really do it for me and I like revealing histories.

Slither - Lawl forever and I do appreciate horror that still find the time to make fun of itself in a good way. Good stuff combined from some of the older stuff like Body Snatchers, the Faculty, and some other horror movie which name escapes me right now.

Apocalypto - Interesting and I came away impressed by the direction and the sets. The characters themselves really add such raw nature of the plot too. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Little Miss Sunshine - This movie was sweet and tugs at your funny bone or your misty eyes. But that's really about all really, but the direction of the plot in this movie was quite awesome and I loved how dysfunctional this family and I really SHOULDN'T. Dysfunctional and all the crises that happen on the road?

Smokin' Aces - LOL, it was a great going at first (lots of renown faces) and then wtf at the ending. I was really hoping for Piven to GO ALL OUT or SOMETHING. But no, came away disappointed that that was it and Ryan Reynolds got more lines out of it.

Sukiyaki Western Django - I saw that it was an asian western mix that has Tarantino as a guest bit. It was alright, I did like the plot and some of the characters but most of the movie felt pretty shallow to me.

The Break-Up - Some of the arguments I most definitely had heard before in a relationship and cannot believe they used that as a basis of their breakup. It was alright and lame at some of the parts. I find myself loving Vince Vaughan more and siding with him. And lmao at GTA: San Andreas as the game he played in this movie. (Seeing that since I just recently finished it myself.)

The Breed - This movie is interesting, I wasn't as disappointed as I thought I would be after I watched it. It used to a throwback to the 80s style horror which I liked and threw in some innovative ideas to survive in "a cabin in the woods" against a pack of rabid dogs.

To be seen next week: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Antibodies and the Grudge 2.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Philia; Aug 24, 2010 at 07:14 AM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2010, 09:56 PM #7 of 352
LOL, no one watches ANYTHING anymore? ;___;
Spoiler:
Bug - I heard such BADDDD things about this so I was amused when I saw it was on cable the other night and checked it out. Was it marketed as a thriller that made it so wrong or was it the premise that was uncomfortable to watch (being that it is a psychological kind)? I dunno, but I didn't like it all that much and SD was left wondering if this was a bad comedy. xD

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - I had read the book, and I'm torn from knowing if a faithful book adaption was the best part of this movie or the actress portraying as Slander was so good. Either way, I liked her in it, but that was all.

Antibodies - Bad cover and a bad title just doesn't give this german movie justice. Its a study of character manipulation that I liked.

The Grudge 2 - Terrible, just terrible. No scares at all. For shame.

Wristcutters: A Love Story - Bittersweet and pretty interesting take on the afterlife for suicides. Road trip and quirky characters abound. Liked this one quite a bit and that actor, Patrick Fugit.

Disturbia - Finally got around to see this one, its not as bad and definitely fun to watch. (I adored Shia LaBeouf in Even Stevens.)

Babel - Pretty interesting take on 3 separate but yet intertwined lives involving miscommunciation in an isolated setting. Its pretty profound for me because one of the three plotlines involved a deaf japanese girl and I could resonate a bit with her sense of isolation in a large group setting.

Employee of the Month - LOL the trailer sure did fooled me. I was actually thinking it'd be something of a fun watch but no, what a shit movie this was. Even with experience at retail made me cringe at this.

The Fountain - Hugh Jackman's casting was something I was having a bit of trouble getting past into (Wolverine). Great set, cgi, and the plot was interesting. Still not sure what to make of it though. Like it a bit.

Doubt - This is the movie that made this entry. Pretty darn excellent writing. I really liked how you could see it either way and still be with a doubt at the end. Just great acting from all three of them.

House MD S6 - The first episode was excellent, and the rest is sort of filler til the last two episodes which were just as excellent caliber. Its like they have two different directors/writers for this sort of thing. I really want the ones that did Amber twofer in S4 and those few excellent episodes to really keep up with great direction instead of doing filler episodes with the disease research. Cuddy getting her own episode is nice, there wasn't enough character study episodes I had seen in House. But yeah, the stuff is still going strong with House.

To be seen next week: I have rearranged my movies backlog to watch a a few shit ones early so that way I'd not care as much while I'm focusing on something else better in the meantime. Whisper, The Hills Have Eyes 2, and Captivity.

On another note, I'm terribly disappointed at Netflix for taking down our friends page. I cannot check on Tails, LeHah, Pang, Kyndig, and Sass's movie backlogs anymore. ;____;

FELIPE NO
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:44 AM #8 of 352
Alright, I'm back with even more movies. There's a shitton of cable movies that I saw and took off from my netflix queue but unfortunately netflix doesn't keep track of my ratings/watched like their dvd shipped list. Barely remember most of them anyway.
Spoiler:

Cashback - Interesting, cute, alright. I did like the music and the direction of this movie.

Lars and the Real Girl - Adorable, absolutely awe-inspiring but that small town cannot be that sweet all over. O.o' Gosling is pretty damn awesome.

The Host - Now I was more than pleasantly surprised and even more so when I saw it was an asian monster movie. Netflix has this member rating pretty high so I went in knowingly that it could be good, but again, I came away surprised and glad I caught a viewing. I really appreciate the family dynamic that it involved in hunting this monster. It just made this movie seem to be all even more "legendary". This one just blew Cloverfield out of my memory bank.

Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut - Epic movie with Bloom. I went in knowing that the King was played by Edward Norton, and I felt this movie had quite a bit of a great cast and it wasn't out of place anywhere or any kind of disruptive feel in the plot, its just as it is, an epic journey with an epic story. I wasn't a bit bored or excited but definitely had me when Bloom rejected the marriage proposal.

Finding Neverland - Depp never disappoints me, and he's just as "dapper" in this one. The part where she finds neverland had me mistyeyed (okay sobbing alright) but yeah good all around movie.

Bloody Sunday - The sets, the costumes, behavior, etc etc, it made me feel like I was watching a documentary! Pretty damn good one at that and I appreciate the film taking all of the angles on this one (especially that kid) and check one for a bit of education about the IRA.

The Killer - I wasn't sure if I had saw this one or not. Yun-fat Chow has been on a few of my asian favorites and this one is pretty good with him in it. Rest is so and so. All flash and flavor, kinda like a James Bond movie with a blind woman.

Eddie Izzard: Unrepeatable - Honestly? I fell asleep within the first 15 minutes of it. Not sure what happened. I did finish the rest of it by morning but yeah. Perhaps it just old or its a british thing or what.

The Reaping - Swank is alright, the rest was like lol especially that ending. Not much to see here besides if you're into biblical plagues and stuff. CGI isn't all that bad either.

Superbad - Jonah Hill character took a while for me to warm up to. He just came off like Brady/mo0 on a real BAD day. But yeah some parts were hilarious but high school cringe worthy.

Fido - Absolutely adored this, highly recommended, and yeah its basically Pleasantville meets Zombies. The sets, cast (especially Moss), time period made this movie quite enjoyable.

My Name Is Bruce - Bruce Campbell tribute I suppose, nothing to write home about though.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Excellent movie, I'm glad I caught this at the last minute, it was an epic journey for one piece of shit from the worst smelling parts of Paris in horrible day and age of no soap in the world can clean, and he had the nose to smell everything including women (at their peak essence) and he sought after them to capture it in savorable form. The ending certainly blew me away. Highly recommended.

The Descent - Now I see why its not all that bad, that shit is scary but yeah, delusion at the end cements the fact the realistically, you're screwed once you're trapped down there.

Skinwalkers - The premise sounds interesting but come to movie form, its great at first but slowly turned into a modern werewolf movie (the fights and etc). But it does take at it very differently and I did like it somewhat.

Captivity - Also referred as Craptivity and I suppose I should agree, that ending was such a twist downer though.

Whisper - Evil kid with powers? Awesome. Isolation in the cabin in the snow forest? Awesome. Black wolves out of nowhere? Awesome. But then the rest of the cast was meh and the story was so and so. I did liked the presentation that kid set up for his captors and literally dissembled them one by one. Overall its alright.

The Hills Have Eyes 2 - Meh. Barely remembered much from this one. Just being out in the desert, and into the mines, and that awesome beginning lmao.

To be seen on Monday, Next and Paranormal Activity.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2010, 01:22 PM #9 of 352
Doot doot, here we go again. Nothing like a good old fashion update to get this thread going. I love movies, even crappy ones. Crappy ones can be a good palette cleaner for good ones ya know. But yeah, even there's gems among the crap and there's crap. Obviously I'm on a list of movies made from '07 here. Got some ways to go before I could get caught up on movies from within this year at least. But no biggie, most dvds/blu-rays takes a while to get released anyway.

Also for the record, I am copy and pasting this from a netflix dvd shipped list (so most recent is first) and I tend to review my movies from the oldest to recent.

Spoiler:
Sweeney Todd - I hate musicals but this one was great. Depp's still awesome in my book and I was taken back by Alan Rickman. I saw him as Snape and in Perfume: the Story of a murderer. He was great and the more I see him, the more of a fan I am. I'm also pleasantly reminded of him being Gruber in the first Die Hard. But yeah this movie was excellent in plot, execution and the awesome blood sauce. The slicing and dicing murders were actually fun to behold.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - What a disappointment this one was for me. I caught myself rolling my eyes and sighing/shaking my head more than several times all through out the movie. It just seemed to me all the more same old bullshit that the previous HP movies tried to dictate in such... tedious orderly fashion. If you watched the HP movies back to back, you'd notice it too. Nothing's new but all flash and glare.

The Brave One - Another surprise. I figure it'll not exceed my expectations and I had been disappointed by Foster (Panic Room, Flightplan) before. But no, she was great in this one. At least the set up was excellent if not feasible for her character to execute in. The throw in detective to the story seemed awkward at first but it seemed to add more to the story as well as her character I suppose. But yeah, her character was powerful in this one and I appreciate her going at it in such "steel nerves" vibes. Kinda like Foster in Silence of the Lambs.

Gone Baby Gone - Hey, this is not a bad detective story and definitely had one of the better twists I had ever seen. I really appreciate the moral objectivity this movie was going when he was taking a moral stand and really put in emphasis on what is good and what is wrong and vice versa. Especially him (Affleck) giving a speech of the alternative reality if he were to let it go. Great movie all around.

The Deaths of Ian Stone - I was on a horror trend when I read reviews for this supposedly "b horror" was pretty good and thought why not. I was more than moderately surprised and enjoyed this for an original plot, the suspense played out long as necessary and the cgi more or less had me gripped. The twist at the end made it even more perfect and a satisfying finish. The cast is a little thin but still good enough to execute what I wanted to see though.

Hitman - No, I haven't played the game. Pretty much I hear the reviews were split if you had played it or not. With that said, I thought the movie was alright til it sort of tapered off after the first half with the involvement with the dumb broad. I swear chicks ruin more action movies this way.

The Abandoned - I have NO IDEA what this is or why I had this on my queue, I was only . Russian ghost story.

Deception - Caught the first half on cable and it gripped me enough to warrant a rental for a full watch. I love Ewan McGregor (especially in Eye of the Beholder) and his good working boy vibe was something to behold and I wanted to see more of the plot. The going of the movie was great til the last 10 minutes of the movie. Maybe 15, but yeah I was moderately disappointed and was hoping for a better twist from Hugh Jackman specifically. But yeah it just sort of fell flat.

Zodiac - I love Jake Gyllenhaal but they didn't utilize him much til the latter half of this movie. Most of the first half was interesting and was setting up for the rest with the murders and the reporting and failed attempts of catching the killer. I think the best part of the movie was finding out the twists that you didn't see in the first half or didn't realize that it was that important. Great movie imho.

Black Snake Moan - LOL, yes, thanks to a bunch of gifs of him looking all serious and pedo vibes or whatever, its not what it was as I saw it. As being from the south, I can only relate a bit with some of the morals of this movie was trying to portray. But still, it came off very weird from the middle to the end, not sure what was the message or who it was meant for. Not sure if I could recommend this, I do for the first half for laughs and interesting takes on Jackson and Ricci.

Next - LOL, Cage, you should never ever be any different from who you are. You're hilarious and so bad and so good at the same time. Count me as a fan.

Paranormal Activity - Okay, obviously the suspense is played alot FROM SOUND effects. So this is a no go for me. :\ I cannot really take a stance on this movie without putting in my bias. But yeah, go to a theater with surround sound for this or have a decent home set up at least I suppose.

The Strangers - Had this on queue and saw it on cable. Forgot about it in my previous post, but I remembered it enough to input in here for today. Its that great imho. I really appreciate the set up a lot here and a lot of that suspense from the strangers themselves put into play in here. I mean come on, when she was drinking from the kitchen and that dude was standing off casually the corner? Awesome creepy vibe there. I always look forward to suspense in horror movies because most of the fears can be utilized from pure suspense. I really appreciate the fact that they never did revealed themselves on screen but to the couple at the very end and just nonchalantly said they were home. Its awesome, the ending just amplified from there too.

To be seen next week: Blood and Chocolate and The Lives of Others.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:36 PM #10 of 352
Wow. I'm a such a terrible person. I should had keep up on this thread. There were a week or two where I didn't even watch my rentals. O.o' I was obsessed with gaming at the time. (Sword of Mana, Golden Sun TLA and Mother 3 all back to back... was the reason.) And yeah there was an anime series I was watching too which kinda contributed to my smaller list of what I had watched recently. Alrighty lets see what I got.

Spoiler:

Claymore - Great series, especially if you're a fan of violence and this series is definitely for you. It gave me a bit of Berserk vibe too. <3 Berserk but this series' plot is somewhat middling from being overly done to great at different points. IE Raki was fucking annoying and I literally wished he'd just DIE. But he was there like to make things sense to the audience I suppose regarding her history and her tragedy or whatever at the beginning. Some of the action scenes were "trying" whereas they'd pass some of action parts as if that was BELIEVABLE in execution lol. But the Teresa/old crew parts were just awesome.

Grindhouse: Death Proof - HILARIOUS. Absolutely loved this movie. ESPECIALLY right after Planet Terror. But yeah, it was fun to watch and the movie is split into two halves surrounding a similar two groups of 4 girls driving around in their cars and being targeted by a driving lunatic (retired stuntman). I highly recommend it if you're into vengeance or fucked up scenes (although not a whole lot) but amusing and dumb conversations (think Pulp Fiction) throughout the movie.

Grindhouse: Planet Terror - OH man... I have to confess that I don't mind gore all that much, and I still do cringe at random gore movies. But this fucker TOPS it. >.< EVERYTHING. JUST EVERYTHING! GOD.

Dan in Real Life - Interesting take on Carell... everything else not so much.

Becoming Jane - MEH. Just no.

Blood and Chocolate - LOL, terrible and how embarrassing. Interesting take on actual wolves though. I do appreciate at least some REAL fucking wolves in the movie instead of wolf skin and silly costumes.

The Lives of Others - GREAT MOVIE. Holy shit. Kyndig recommended this to me several times over. Now yeah, even now, this movie still cannot get out of my head for how powerful of an effect it can last on you. Everything about it is awesome. If a bit a little depressing but more or less, very real and very raw in nature of learning about nature of an oppressed society where they eavesdrops on people. It also a great piece of historical lesson too. The main actor was just amazing! I wished I've seen more of him elsewhere.

And NOW. To be seen tonite and maybe tomorow... Breach and There Will Be Blood.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:55 PM #11 of 352
Cheers Shin, glad to see you liked Sympathy for Lady, it was interesting for me. Still not sure what to make of the trilogy in whole honestly lol.

Spoiler:
Letters from Iwo Jima - After watching A Mighty Heart..., I wasn't definitely in a mood for another depressing watch. And yeah, I wasn't feeling the greatness in this one. I'm not sure but it felt pretty much pessimistic the whole way through and not enough redemption to save it. "Sure, by honorable dysentery", he'd scoff and say nothing else about his fallen friend. That right there kinda set the mood for the whole movie and wasn't exactly forgiving. I'm not sure about the glowing reviews this movie got, but yeah. Just depressing.

A Mighty Heart - I like Angelina Jolie sometimes and to see her in documentary kind of movie was neat. The plot was great, the cast was great too. Overall not a bad watch but yet, depressing.

Tekkon Kinkreet - As SD would put it, an artsy fartsy attempt at anime style direction? I loved this though, great take on Yin and Yang concept as the two kids battling their own homelessness and their own strengths/weaknesses while fighting the Yakuza and the cops. <3

Persepolis - A story about a girl growing up in 80s Iran and their growing oppression being told in black and white comic art form. The art is great, the direction was great, but the plot wasn't for me.

Sleuth - Interesting lol. I hear its a remake and nevertheless, I like Jude Law and thought he was good in this besides Caine.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Depressing. I knew it's about the cripple who dictated the book/movie but yeah the journey of a horrible self-discovery is more or less the bigger highlight of this movie besides finding out about having your mind wandering about helps a lot in progression of retaining his sanity. Trouble is, I already kinda heard/seen of this before so it wasn't anything new and the movie pretty much offered a lot of refreshing scenery based off on a lovely European coastline for me.

Strait Jacket - Meh. Not sure what to make of it, liked it somewhat but it seemed to be a starter movie for an upcoming anime series for people to get hooked into or something.

Curse of the Golden Flower - LOL the interior sets were... OVER THE TOP. Beautiful though but what is the point if the plot is being told in such brutal fashion. I sure hope the director does get some money back from this.

Juno - LOL. I got spoiled knowing that this was directed by some woman who's into trendy shit or something like it. So yeah I went in with less than rosy colored eyeglasses and saw the trite in it. Jennifer Garner was great in this though. I still like Ellen Page (Hard Candy A+++).

The Golden Compass - This was just a huge mess. I'm sure the book is better but whatever.

There Will Be Blood - Best movie I had seen in a fucking awhile. I watched it on blu-ray on a 42" and it was just stunning and Day Lewis was just awesome. He fucking worked HARD for that shit and wasn't gonna let ANYONE takes it away from him.

Breach - I like the cast in this, but the true story part in the beginning softened the suspense imho and could had been better with tighter direction but the plot was interesting.

How ya doing, buddy?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:02 PM #12 of 352
Saw a good movie recently that made me actually want to review it on Netflix since a lot of people who reviewed it may or may not have missed the point of it. :\
Spoiler:
HUGE spoilers
Funny Games:
It helps a LOT that I had seen Rosemary's Baby before this. Because of it I slowly recognize the underlying devil tones in this movie. The director was playing devil's advocate in this and basically setting up for you to marginally hope for the poor family being terrorized to win somehow. If you missed it, you'd think this movie as a piss poor attempt at suspense/chiller/slasher type. But yes, just to SEE several of those easily out of place elements that leans towards the Devil's work in this movie will be rewarding to realize that the movie sets you up right away and yet do leave behind an evil aftertaste.

For instance, obviously you'll notice that there's a LOT of opportunities for the killers to take advantage of the family but yet no, they made it very easy, just too easy. They hit him perfectly on the knee to shatter it. The dog barked at them endlessly but yes, ultimately was killed without being able to leave behind a mark on the "Peter". And that gun, they left it purposely for someone to bring it to them, while they still carried the shells in their pocket! They have access to the house's yard, "Tubby" said there's a hole in the fence, but the wife had to make one with pliers anyway later on. AKA cell phone isn't "quite" dead but no access. They left for a hour just to taunt them when they came back. They left exactly at midnight. This is also known as the devil's hour. So really, they've never left, they're just watching. And of course, the wife escaped only to misconstrue herself into the wrong upcoming vehicle after missing the first one for the same reason. And that golf ball. When he rolled it to the husband to give him a sense of dread, it rolls just perfectly in the middle of the view. And when he walked through the bushes, he wasn't wet. He wasn't dirty either as the wife had noticed from Tubby from earlier. The only thing that were dirty ON them were blood on their white gloves. And yes, they already killed a bunch of people previously and yet they're still remained white. Seriously, all of these careful details although out the movie with careful direction really spelled it out. But somehow more than 90% of the audience fucking missed it. :\ Shame, and yeah it was great that they also broke the fourth wall and rewind using the remote control to make an extra point. And that prayer? She did last the night.

This should spoke in fucking VOLUMES to the audience that the Devil were playing a game with this poor family. In other words, when you invite him in, you're fucked from the beginning. LOL, do you bet on the Devil or the family?
HUGE spoilers

Rosemary's Baby - Great suspense. Mia Farrow was excellent and gorgeous in this one. Too bad I was ruined years ago, I imagine it would had been a huge hit if I didn't know about the outcome.

3:10 to Yuma - Good movie, really liked Russell Crowe in this one. Bale was alright, the elder son actor is decent in it too. Glad to see Alan Tudyk getting some work, I liked him in 28 days and several others I saw him in.

Superman Doomsday - I didn't realize it was told in cartoon direction. It was interesting but nothing to really write home about.

The Orphanage - Interesting but I didn't like it as much. Good twist though on finding out what happened to the kid. The ending is not something I'd go to sleep comfortably with though.

Species IV: The Awakening - LOL, were they trying to make alien softcore porn with this? Hilarious and a TERRIBLE end to the series. Its just pure trash and rather forget most of it.

[REC] - Cute, the sets is rather forced but what do you gotta do with a zombie infestation. Good intro though, and definitely ended it off with a powerful monster introduction. HOLY shit. I dunno where the fuck they find someone THAT skinny to impose herself as the next Lisa Trevor monster from the RE series. Holy shit that was so good and scary. And I hear the remake isn't as good and they cut off the whole "demon possession" thing. :\ So no super scary monster to expect then.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Philia; Feb 8, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:43 PM #13 of 352
I saw the best Coen movie ever.

I only saw a few since but its worthy of a bump!

No Country for Old Men - Holy shit. That dude. Javier Bardem gives me the fucking chills even after the movie was over. But YES, this is definitely one of those movies you write home about and don't forget EVER. There doesn't seem to be a wasted shot either or a wasted conversation. There's always something that is essential and chilling to watch. The 70s throwback was awesome and I dare say made this even better. And it is the best Coen movie I had watched since. (I'm still in chronological order, just about to finish '07 backlog)

Eastern Promises - Another great violent movie, based in Russia and had already a trio of favorite casts I'd like to see. Viggo really throws it in this one, making me a bigger fan of him already despite of other stuff he's in.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - I like Phillip Hoffman and Ethan Hawke in this but this movie didn't really do much for me. Interesting heist gone wrong kind at best. A Simple Plan was much better.

Savages - Again, absolutely love Phillip Hoffman in this too. Interesting and it wasn't on my queue but it was a recommendation from James' coworker as she loaned it to us. It was great insight on an estranged elder that needs to be taken to a nursing home while struggling with issues involving the estrangement, dementia, and their messed up lives while they cope with each other (brother and sister) and their loves.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:29 PM #14 of 352
I've seen some. I'm about to get into two anime series quite soon so I won't be able to contribute much on the movie/shows part. (Darker than Black and Death Note if you wish to know.)

Spoiler:
Hot Rod - LOL, this movie was... retarded. Best I could describe it before it got cut off less than a hour in. LOL, it was unbelievably scratched to hell and I couldn't even ask for a better copy because it was that... unnerving retarded. Not that I wasted my time on movies worse than that of course, but that lead is hilarious and he made it impossible for me to look away. Bitches I'm on a BOAT is right.

American Gangster - Good movie all around. Liked the leads in this one but the twist at the end left me... jilted I guess. Found wanting or whatever, its a good perceptive though on cops regarding found money. I didn't realize you could get named terribly if you returned in that much money.

The Sickhouse - Dumb horror movie. Scratch this one.

The Kite Runner - Very awesome movie, took me by surprise and its not ham-fisted style story telling either. Its a very emotional well told story about a boy growing up with a friend who's also his servant and only to find out two decades later that it was actually... his half brother and he felt compelled to fix his mistake and mend his guilt by going back to Pakistan during the Taliban regime to find a boy relative there to take home to US. Very powerful ending.

Lust, Caution - Interesting take on covert ops and especially naive ones. The girl started out as a rookie and only to find out that she actually fell hard for him. This movie is up there in great fucking scenes. And I don't mean that as a vulgar word, I mean actual fucking. Total R rated.

Otis - LMAO, I saw the trailer in another movie and thought it'd be hilarious. And it was. Its a great thriller/revenge/comic story.

Cleaner - Shame this one didn't really shine like most of Samuel Jackson's movies... he was terrible in a few others and this one kinda can be chalked up on the middling list.

Into the Wild - I thought it was lame at first and was more than intrigued when it approached the end because I was already spoiled knowing beforehand that he died of course (based on a true story afterall) and why (he couldn't cross the river). But it wasn't because as I thought it was and only ended up being as a major warning to those who wished to do the same thing as he did. A journey of sorts... (looking at you hard Fresh Frank)

The Darjeeling Limited - The cast was interesting, the sets were interesting, the plot was interesting, but to be honest, the whole thing just didn't sit with me. I wouldn't go as far as to say its a mess or whatever, its charming yes, but it wasn't for me. Deni's recommendation and Anderson's is turning into a hit or miss with me. Not always a miss but a middling ground factor.

Pom Poko - Very cute animated tale about raccoons with the power to transform. And how they tried to save their forest from approaching human inhabitants. Cute and all but it ended with a hamfisted message so yeah.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2011, 12:16 PM #15 of 352
Thank you so much for using this thread Shin! <3 Also I finally finished the '07 backlog. I'll be finally working onto '08 backlog now which to be 65 in total or so. Oh and also, I kinda uh cheated and basically bumped up a LOT of low rated movies up first so I'd get those out of the way.

Spoiler:

Inception - AWESOME. Totally new, totally refreshing, but yet I can see how it can be overwhelming/confusing/convoluted for those who doesn't pay attention at the first half of the movie. But that's my thing anyway, when I rent, I pay attention to every detail. And I really appreciate this one down to the detail. (This is bumped up thanks to OP. <3 )

The Oxford Murders - Went in hoping for a thriller, came away with an less than a thriller about math fanatics and pure coincidences. :\

One Missed Call - Another TERRIBLE remake of a TERRIBLE movie too. LOL why am I doing this to myself etc etc.

The Uninvited - TERRIBLE OMG. NO. Remake of the Tale of the Two Sisters should NOT EXIST. The going was great at the first half, but god, they really shat on themselves with that ending. :\

College - Terrible! Remind me again why I shouldn't rent dumb teen movies.

The Unborn - Terrible! Tries too hard, fell flat, etc. Total meh. Gary Oldman deserve better roles than this.

Tales from Earthsea - Terrible! I thought it was going pretty well, but suddenly its like why are we watching them farm? And that ending was so rushed, it just fell flat.

Charlie Bartlett - LOL, teen movie about prescribing drugs to teens by a teen. Mildly amusing overall, a feel good sort.

Atonement - I was recommended by hype into this, but did try to keep my expectations low. Did came away with an interesting experience on the little girl/old woman plot, not the love story although it IS the motivation of this entire movie. Liked it.

Feast of Love - Love the cast here, no missed/misused take either, the direction was very fluid and engaging all throughout the movie. I enjoyed it as it was telling about love lives between several couples. Morgan Freeman being the spectator.

Exam - Pleasantly surprised minimalist take thriller. I absolutely loved this. I highly recommend this for anyone who's interested in a minimalist take on human's extremes on desire to win, cooperation, and compassion.

Bolt - Not what I thought it'd be and not only that, the intro definitely did played my expectations right into it too. Came out pleasantly even more surprised despite of already seeing the ending prior. Decent all around.

Be Kind Rewind - Started off a bit slow, but when Mia Farrow came in to demand her movie, things just picked up and got awesome. Not only awesome, but superbly sweet and heartfelt.

The Nameless - Terrible horror, but good suspense in most parts though.

Son of Rambow - Pretty dang cool movie about a couple of kids letting their imaginations run wild with inspirations from Rambo.

Paraiso Travel - Okay drama about a Columbians making the imperious journey to USA, but I sure hate the ending though. Why the fuck would she leave that house to live in a trailer? What.

The Chaser - Interesting thriller, I was sidetracked with the cop investigation on the killer when the pimp was actually believing that the killer was lying about what he really did had done. :\

Good Dick - Milding amusing relationship/love story. Something new and something odd.

Reservation Road - <3 Mark Ruffalo. I also did like Phoenix in this too. Good strong drama.

FELIPE NO
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2011, 01:21 PM #16 of 352
HI guys! Glad to see some mentions in here. I'm interested in Defiance, good to know it'll be entertaining! Good to hear about Thor too. Got that on queue. I didn't get to watch a whole bunch since my last update. Still got to see some.

Spoiler:

Saw V - LOL yeah. A must for any horror/gore fan. Because of this wrap up, I bumped on the last two of the saga to see tonite. I dunno why but I'm drawn in by the puzzles as well as the reasoning of the "victims" of the puzzles.

Gomorrah - Interesting movie. It did not provide any sort of a message or a theme between the characters until the very end just before the credits to announce how much of our money is funneling towards the gangs/urban wars there. :\

The Midnight Meat Train - Surprise horror flick with a PLOT. I was pleasantly surprised by the effort they went into this (besides writing). Pretty awesome and the ending just blew me away too.

Cold Souls - Paul Giamatti is in this, whom I'm a fan of. Neat take on souls being material/tangible.

Deadgirl - Saw this on a recommendation on another forum, albeit not at me but to another member. With THAT said, I can safely say that this is the dirtiest movie I have ever fucking seen. It really makes me want to take a fucking shower. And I don't mean there's grime or dirt or shit whatever, aka Trainspotting lol no. But in morals in regards of sentient beings, reason, and women. My god. Not only it was ringing true or anything, but how they played in it... :\ Its not depressing as much as it'd make me cringe and no, it didn't have a whole lot of gore either or is it embarrassing. Just bad aftertaste is what it is mostly I imagine.

The Broken - An awesome random thriller flick out of nowhere. I'm so glad I was random at queuing this. An excellent psychological thriller at that too. I just can't really add anything more in this to spoil, but its mostly about a woman who got in a car accident and got confused her memories of seeing another woman just like her in a previous day prior to that accident. Make sure that this isn't a horror flick in your mind, or it can go slow on you, but if you take the time and absorb the suspense and the details, it can be a great movie for you.

Quarantine - Terrible. I think I liked [REC] more. I do appreciate the take on the cameraman himself this time around, he was barely visible in the original.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2011, 08:19 PM #17 of 352
I didn't like it Shin. The last 20 mins was really dragging with her flailing about against that mutant. :\ But the intro was pretty good and all.

So its about time I update this thing! And just for the record, I bumped up a bunch of 1 and 2 stars rated (by average) movies recently to just get them out of the way or I'm in that rare mood to really bash some shit films or nitpick on something terrible. So here comes the loads of terriBAD.

Spoiler:

Max Payne - Meh. Like in the Happening the lead just sucked in everything. The plot was flat as hell, no emotion/attachment at all. Its the first time I didn't care when the disc was scratched to hell and skipped some scenes.

Tropic Thunder - Best comedy in a while! I really appreciate the take on making fun of stereotyping Hollywood. And as always, Robert Downey Jr is awesome to behold. I'm just surprised by Ben Stiller's direction on this, he acted in shit films but he produced this somehow. DIRECT MOAR plz. And also for the record, this was showing as 4 stars out of 5 on netflix on average, and I only bumped this up for James.

Babylon A.D. - Terribad. I don't even know why I queued this. I think I liked Pitch Black and thought this movie had some ties to that movie other than Vin Diesel. Guess I'm wrong then? The ending just made this movie shoot itself in the foot too. :\

Transporter 3 - Love Jason Statham as always.

The Spirit - Cheesy as fuck but yet somehow, the lead was lovable as heck too. I liked this despite of its overly cheesy.

Eagle Eye - Terribad. Labeouf can do so much better. But then again, he was in Transformers. I always liked him in Even Stevens but come on.

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Ditto above with Keanu Reeves, I'll just quote James' take on him, "I just can't take my eyes off of him." Stotic expression or not, he's still eye candy I suppose.

Ong Bak 3 - Not as good as the second installment though. Mostly recovery and drama in the enemy sidelines.

Ong Bak 2: The Beginning - Pure unadulterated violence all throughout in this movie in Thailand fighting and other methods adopting too. Great all around except for that expected cliffhanger.

Twilight - Yeah. Fuck that noise. Sparkles my ass. :Calls up Blade: I just end up laughing and seeing all sorts of WRONG in this movie and feel better knowing I've seen much greater vampire flicks in MY HEY DAY than this.

Half Nelson - Recommended on another forum, it was so and so. Still love Ryan Gosling though.

The Eye - TERRIBAD. I seen the original too and that still doesn't make it any better. :\

Code 46 - Not sure how I managed to queue this one, but hey, I like Tim Robbins and his stuff in this one was pretty decent. The plot was definitely original and interesting, at least in an uncomfortable ending way.

The Ruins - Lindsay Lohan is in this. LOL, I didn't expect this to take place OUTSIDE of the ruins or that it'd be more gory than scares. :\ I dunno, I was expecting something similar to the Descent but I was terribly wrong. Still didn't like it. I'll give props to the gore parts though.

The Happening - OH man. Let me remind you guys, this list is ordered by Latest to the Oldest okay? That means, I saw Twilight and Max Payne after this okay? This STILL fucking holds the candle of the worst movie EVER. OMFG. How do you even fucking fail at this. Man. It really insults my whole movie buff experience, its like this epic troll on viewing movies altogether. Still cannot forget this pile of shit any time soon.

Shutter - I went in thinking a decent asian remake and came out terribly disappointed. It took off in a direction I wasn't expecting (focus on the husband) and there were hardly any scares or deaths either. :\ Its a stupid ghost's curse story, not horror movie.

Mirrors - Jack Baur can do so much better than this but hey. Some of the effects were pretty good in this but there weren't a whole lot of deaths or gore as some scares here and there. Its mostly passive (oh shit, what was that) and not all that suspenseful as I'd hoped.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:54 PM #18 of 352
So like... the stupid 360 don't have the interface to allow subtitles but yet the PS3 interface does? When James figured this out and loaded Netflix up on the PS3 for me, I went on a super crazy movie marathon. I don't even know if I can review everything in here because of the volume I've seen. But because the lack of subs, I didn't watch a few on Instant Streaming.

I'll be sure to list the ones on instant first. I'll list the dvd rentals later. Also, Sprouticus, you still suck for not posting in this thread. >:\

The first show James and I watched on Instant Streaming was fucking Hoarders. My god. That show really spins on your perceptive on a shit life one can lead. I can recommend it just for an eye opening mindset.

Pysch was a great show I began to follow up on. The dvds are still over the normal price range for James to buy for me, so I began to catch up big time. I'm about to finish Season 2. I'm sore about the last episode being not subbed as it said it should. I'll just read the script while I watch this episode. I'm just grateful that nearly all of the episodes were subbed just fine otherwise. Other than that, this show really takes it to the next level in slapstick comedy but with huge amount of modern american culture with it from references to movies to famous people to caricatures. I loved it so for this. Witty, quick to the point, and definitely light hearted enough in a crime drama to not take itself seriously too. Dule Hill and James Roday has such great chemistry I haven't seen before in conspiring buddies. Ditto with that sourpuss Lassie against the world. There's something something that reminds me so much of the duo and Lassie. I kept thinking that Scooby Doo the dog will show up somewhere.

And that's about all I'd watch in shows, I have other shows to catch up on which is Heroes, Glee, Damages, and some other show I forget.

There's a bunch of movies that I wanted to see on instant but wasn't sure about its worth a rental or not. Most of those movies fits the bill for "passed over" in terms of a rental. Foreign horror is often that genre and you don't know foreign/asian horror, get out of this thread plz.

Instant:
Hot Tub Time Machine - Lol, its alright. John Cusack is still lame.

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard - Still a fan of Jermey Piven.

Retribution - Foreign horror.

Frozen - A good survival flick about a trio of skiers stuck on the chairlift for days. It doesn't really lend itself much in terms of plot but definitely interesting in terms of what to NOT do lmao. Some gory bits.

Fragile - Meh, slept through half way, interesting monster though.

Bloody Reunion - Foreign horror.

Pandorum - Interesting, I liked Ben Foster in this. The plot was a plus and some of the claustrophobic bits had me on edge too.

When in Rome - <3 Kristen Bell. If I have to pick, I'd watch this again over Pulse. The trailer according to a friend (and of course the premise as well) doesn't really lend to this movie very well. Sold as a cheap romance knock off, but she's still eye candy for me.

The House of the Devil - This made is made in '09 but with all sorts of 70s retro direction and it really lend itself superbly in terms of old school horror. The sets, the characters, the style, even the attire are all very well done. I only wish there's more directors that can do this for horror. Other than that though, the plot was to build suspense and it held up very well.

Dead End - Terrible b horror.

Carriers - Decent apocalypse flick.

Shutter Island - Leo, shed some pounds man. Decent twist there at the end. I think I like this more than Inception somehow. Inception was great in premise and sets, but Shutter Island really sold in character desperation that you see in Leo's character.

Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Its alright. Good character/cast to watch for. Nothing else really. Great make-up/cgi work of course.

Shiver - Decent foreign thriller (not horror although marketed as such.)

Law Abiding Citizen - I liked it. I personally don't care for Jamie Foxx though. But I'm still a fan of Gerard Butler since 300.

Gamer - Again, fan of Gerard Butler.

The Gold Rush - Charlie Chaplin being adorable scout in the cold alaska.

S. Darko - Terrible.

Leaves of Grass - Fan of Edward Norton, the druggie brother didn't get much face time for the ending to really make an impact for me though.

Brothers - Decent cast to watch.

After.Life - Not bad but meh.

The Joneses - Lol, really. Thought it was pretty shallow and petty as the premise.

The General - Adorable train engineer trying to save his gf from the enemy lines with his train.

Don't Look Back - Freaky identity scare for a woman. (Monica Bellucci and Sphie Marceau yummy)

All Good Things - I like Ryan Gosling, but not in this. Based on a true story but its meh.

Management - Took me by surprise, having Steve Zahn in it makes think its a comedy but no its a decent quirky romance story. Kinda like Adam Sandler for Punch Drunk Love, you got Steve Zahn in this one. Jennifer Anstion really sells her quiet good girl type (The Good Girl) quite well and I personally like this movie quite a bit.

Ab-Normal Beauty - Foreign horror.

The Crazies - Interesting if not unoriginal premise redone better.

Eye for an Eye - Its alright. Not much to say about Sally Field or Keifer Sutherland.

Defiance - Daniel Craig was okay in this one, but Liev Schreiber reminds me why I liked him in the first place. He needs more roles man.

Alice in Wonderland - Oh, its about Mad Hatter than about Alice. I didn't realize its set to be a sequel to Disney's old classic. Its strange but okay. Don't quite recommend it though.

Crank 2: High Voltage - If you loved Shoot'em Up, you'll love this one. Over the top man vs man battles and urban survival. Still a fan of Jason Statham and that ending was hilarious. Watch at your risk though, its raunchy enough to make the other half hate it. :\

Dead Snow - Hilarious zombie movie.

Voices - Foreign horror.

Iron Man 2 - Like the first one, its alright, just not as memorable.

Winter's Bone - Holy shit. Ozark's tough girl toughing it up in this back woods living. Highly recommend for a decent inside outlook of hicks. I thought it was great.

Grapes of Wrath - Now I feel terrible for Okies. But the classic really lends an eye on the family mom being the strong one to hold the family together through tough times. Sass, this movie is for you. I swear.
Rentals:
Beerfest - Hubby's friends recommended this. I say piss on this movie. It sucks.

War - Jason Statham in this what sold me but Jet Li finishing it off was even better.

Leatherheads - Fan of Clooney, thought it was alright.

Knowing - LOL can't really misjudge a Nic Cage movie going in these days. Its what I expected and some. Lame hair, some awesomeness, some terrible.

21 - Interesting Kevin Spacy/Lawrence Fishburne roles if anything else. Rest is just college kids living it up.

The Brothers Bloom - I thought it was cute and all til that ending. Watch this if you're a fan of Mark Ruffalo.

Untraceable - It wasn't what I was expecting at all from the blurb (brief synopsis) I've read. Colin Hanks in this one was pretty good, Diane Lane could had been better, but yeah wow at the torture scenes. :shudders:

Step Brothers - A lot funnier than I pegged it and enjoyed it.

Get Smart - Went in expecting terrible, left feeling terrible.

Sunshine Cleaning - An Amy Adams fan recommended this to me and I wholeheartedly recommend this too. Its very bittersweet to take home with.

The Aviator - Decent Leo movie to watch in. Didn't care for historical biopic much but to watch Leo again after Shutter Island again is why I rented this. Exceeded my expectations in Leo adopting the OCD habits.

Choke - Lmao Sam Rockwell really sold this movie's premise quite well too. He really does the character well, although I haven't read the story by Chuck Paluknik? but I expected some FUBAR shenanigans when I went in.

Rambo ('08) - Finally some closure? Sly directing this kinda distracted me from watching the movie but watching what he wanted to direct. The path he took with it is interesting but definitely satisfying at the last 20 bloody minutes.

Spiderwick Chronicles - Meh. Kid unleashed evil premise is so overdone man.

Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay - Stupid. So stupid but yet the brief NPH cameo was delicious its almost made the movie but the rest is just silly dumb. I suppose its a movie for stoners but hey.

The Bank Job - Jason Statham again! Definitely compelling plot through and through, it starts off predictable but once it gets going, you're on edge like unlike most heist movies you've seen.

Ravenous - Guy Pierce is on my to watch list too, and the sets/plot was played out quite well and bloody as heck. Delicious movie.

Speed Racer - LOL, I kept thinking oh this guy (From the Wild) is Speed? John Goodman sure looks so old... Aside from the silly cast mismatch, I thought I enjoyed the cgi works of cars outmaneuvering each other on the tracks. It was a fun watch at least.

The Incredible Hulk - I was confused why did they redo this after Eric Bana's version? Oh, its the sequel to that one I guess? Edward Norton as Hulk is kinda unbelievable for me, I still like him scrawny in Fight Club.

Iron Man - Decent but not as memorable. I didn't see a whole lot of tongue in cheek lines from Robert Downey Jr as I thought I'd. Watch this if you want a Marvel movie, but don't go in with higher expectations from Robbie. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is for you for some RDJ love.

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - Meh. Aslan being a no show in most of the movie kinda hampered it a bit. I suppose its more about the Prince and the character depth of the 4 sibilings.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army - LOL, terrible. But that antagonist was fucking delicious eye candy for me.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Philia; Aug 29, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2011, 07:26 AM #19 of 352
LOL, Shin, I'm a stupid fan of the series too but yet I keep giving it 2 stars out of 5. But yeah, the first one was alright in my book. I'm glad you said that its crap, I'll go in with cheap thrills in cheap deaths then. xD I swear that's all horror movies are good for, "1000 ways to die" with some plot.

Spoiler:
Wanted - Its excellent stupid vindictive fun.

1408: Unrated Version - Surprisingly good for a haunted room story.

Burn After Reading - Terrible. I had better expectations going in though.

X-Files: I Want To Believe - Ughhh nope. Plays out like one long meh episode.

Transsiberian - Interesting, pacing issues but well told I guess.

Instant-----

Double Indemnity - Pretty good insurance fraud story.

Unborn but Forgotten - Foreign horror.

Ponyo - I expected better but its cute.

Arsenic and Old Lace - Cary Grant really shines in this one. Making me a fan already!

The Ghost - Foreign horror.

Tetsuo: The Iron Man - The most amusing old school asian cinematography with some body gore horror. I was more than pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the sick turns of events in this little thing. Be warned though, the camera work in some scenes could make you sick (think Cloverfield) but lol at the drill bit. I can see now why this gem has a cult following in some circles. The main lead was excellent.

Visioneers - Its alright, I'm beginning to like Zach Galifianakis.

Three Extremes II - Foreign horror with 3 shorts.

The Baby's Room - Interesting but severely annoying lead.

The Nines - The going was great til that stupid "multidimensional being" twist. I did thought the plot was pretty good otherwise but ugh.

Chaos Theory - Adorable, I'm a fan of fucked up scenarios and this one counts.
I'm hoping to see Buried soon on Instant. I'm on a Ryan Reynolds kick of the late.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2011, 07:02 AM #20 of 352
How is that a complaint? "I greatly enjoy this show - but I can't stand the movie because its longer than an hour?"
Well, the last movie for X-files really brought home on the show's theme(s) and some epic scenes involved and all the suspense behind the scheme of things in the government too. It left me with a huge impression for this sequel for sure.

This one is more like a more indepth character study of the two leads and their obsession, it'd count as an episode if you cut out Scully's painful "I want to save the kid" scenes. I guess its not a movie I was looking for, but what do I know.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Philia; Sep 9, 2011 at 07:21 AM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2011, 07:54 PM #21 of 352
About time I update my own thread. Xenoblade and Skyrim has been sapping up my entire free time for the past 3 months lol. Anyway, here we go.

Martyrs - I cannot stop thinking about this. I've spoiled myself on purpose a long time ago by reading the plot on wiki or somewhere, and knew where it was headed and such. I didn't want to go in cringing or whatever. Thankfully, its not that cringe-worthy (like hostel or cabin fever), and it was definitely interesting plot overall. I liked the portrayal of all of the characters. There was no weak character in this movie and were all just evenly powerful in their own way. Good stuff.

Dakota Skye - Screaming indie romance about a girl with a lie detector power and a boy who cannot lie. Cute though.

The Betrayed - Minimalist set about mob kidnapping/betrayal/heist with a mom and her kid for victims. So and so, just interesting take on minimalist.

Valkyrie - Its alright. Cruise did a good job I guess. I did like the other characters some.

The Wrestler - Wow. Just... wow. Rourke was SO damn good in this. <3 Really raw and absolutely eye opening for someone who doesn't follow wrestling. Good stuff.

War, Inc. - MEH.

The Hurt Locker - Liked this quite a bit. Something for someone who's obsessed about something and loves doing no matter what are the conditions.

The Reader - I wanted to like this, but like... "who cares, they're still dead" unnerves me so much. I just cannot bring myself to even sympathize with that character. Winslet did a great job portraying but my god, I hated her character so much. Its really raw yes, but it also makes you wonder what's the point of the film.

Mother - Saw this on instant, its a good while back but I liked it quite a bit and of course, that ending. Whew. Did not see that one coming.

How ya doing, buddy?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2011, 09:37 PM #22 of 352
MEH, I still liked it a lot Shin! In fact, reading the plot make me not view it as a horror movie but some kind of disturbing topic being explored or SOME shit. Not some gore wannabe. So I'm happy with knowing that at least that I didn't go in with some cheap genre expectations of it.

Last edited by Philia; Dec 9, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2011, 09:49 PM #23 of 352
No worries, its on my instant queue! I think I'm still on '08 backlog. Actually not a whole lot left, so I'll be onto '09 dvds soon.

FELIPE NO
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:55 AM #24 of 352
I finally got around to watch two my movies this morning!

In Bruges: Hilarious great british duo finding their way in Bruges. The ending did take me by surprise on a sobering note though. Strong cast all around. <3

Frost/Nixon: I've seen Michael Sheen in The Queen and loved him in that so I did not lose expectations from his stuff in this one. Although most of this movie is really about Frank Langella and his portrayal as Nixon. I thought the narrating/mockumentary was pretty good in setting the pieces for the movie. Powerplay in interviews is something to behold.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:37 AM #25 of 352
So I watched some terrible movies today. Thankfully I was so dead tired it just came and went.

Splice: Its one of those movies you thought it has an interesting but definitely tired premise but yet these fuckers take it to the next level of taboo and fucking Xzibit it beyond. Terrible. Adrian Brody can DO so much better than this shit.

The Box: My god. What the fuck happened. AVOID. The plot really took a massive shit after the introduction of the premise but still that introduction about minor details (like her foot) was very awkward and awful in presentation.

Case 39: That little girl is terrible at acting. She's adorable and all but lol. And of course, Renee Zwellger in this doesn't help at all. I mean she was alright but that face mannnn, it doesn't really lend itself at all in horror. She's a horror herself to look at.

Buried: LMAO dat ending. Ryan Reynolds was alright in this, although its pretty minimalist and interesting.

The Changeling: Liked Jolie in this, the premise, the plot, the cast of bad guys and all that is pretty good. Liked it a bit, the sets were well done too.

Pineapple Express: LMAO Stoner movie. Still like to watch the genre anyway. Franco didn't really give it to me as much as Seth Rogen. I dunno why, I still like that doofus since Knocked Up.

Slumdog Millionaire: Went in expecting a more than decent movie, came out satisfied. I can see why it got their wins in oscars? or whatever they were? Good stuff around in this movie.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Movies/Shows you have seen recently?