Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Death Note

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2007, 08:52 PM Local time: Sep 5, 2007, 07:52 PM #551 of 573
Man, based on the trailer, I never would have guessed that was the same guy who did Quatre doing Light's voice. Props for being able to change his voice so much, but I gotta admit, he still doesn't sound like Light. Maybe seeing it in the actual show instead of just trailers will change my opinion, but until then I still dislike it.

I definitely think Brian Drummond can pull off Ryuk, so I'm not worried about that. But as for everyone else, I've honestly never heard of them, either because they're totally new or they've been in shows I've never watched.

And I totally forgot about that special. I doubt I'll watch it until it's subtitled, though.

FELIPE NO
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2007, 01:57 PM #552 of 573
Nah, they're definately new. I've always been up on the whole voice actor thing from when they did DBZ to whatever anime . Nowadays, you don't see much talent coming from Ocean Group. They were only popular for alot of classic animes. When Toonami was an actual Anime block, they aired animes dubbed by Ocean Group and them alone besides Outlaw Star and Blue Submarine (correct me if there's more). If I remember correctly the main ocean line up used to be people such as

Richard Cox (Inu Yasha)
Scott McNeil (Duo Maxwell, Protoman,Ken,Koga)
Brian Drummond
Samantha Ferris (Sally Po)
Lisa Ann Belley (Bulma, Relena Peacecraft)
Kirby Morrow (Miroku, Trowa Barton)
Ian Corlette
Saffron Henderson (Bloodberry,Lucrezia Noin)
Brad Swaile
Mark Hildreth
Dave Kaye (Sesshomaru and Trieze )

This is pretty much shocking that Scott Mcneil isn't working a character role in Death Note. If he can, he should try doing the job of Mello. Looking at Ocean's new line up worries me but it is their first time according to Animenewsnetwork. I'll wait til there's a download for episode 1.

This is all I can get for Alessandro Juliani

Originally Posted by wiki

He was also the voice of Pit (erroneously called Kid Icarus) in the Captain N: The Game Master cartoon series, and offered his voice in many other cartoons and anime including (but certainly not limited to) Ranma 1/2, X-Men Evolution (as Gambit), the three My Scene films (in the role of River) and two of the Bionicle films (as Toa Vakama). He played the voice of Nightscream in Beast Machines, he was also the voice of one of a male leads in Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper, a Barbie movie based on the Mark Twain story "The Prince and the Pauper", in which he also performed his own singing; he also voiced the merman prince Nalu in Barbie: Fairytopia and Barbie: Mermaidia. Another recent role is as Koji in the English version of Ōban Star-Racers.
I forgot all about Pit in Captain N....something tells me that I shouldn't remember. However, Gambit sounded cool in X-Evolution.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by chato; Sep 6, 2007 at 02:04 PM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:54 AM #553 of 573
Additional Post

Gonna bump this since its been a week. Just a reminder to everyone that Adult Swim did pick up the anime and will start airing October 20th at 12. They revealed it in one commercial then did their own personal version to take a hint at it XD.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sacred X
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Member 4397

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:39 PM #554 of 573
I forgot it was going to air and almost had a heart attack when I heard that theme play as I was typing to a friend. Someone tried to write my name.

Anyway, I must say I am satisfied with what I saw, so far at least. These people so far seem to handle it alright. Japanese music with subtitles, same bg music, good animation, dialouge was on track, no sign of horrible voices, though still speculation on how the quality of the voices are so far.

Light's voice did sound a bit weird at points, but overall was done well. His insanity voice at least was satisfying enough. Ryuk's voice I can't say is bad, but I'm trying to speculate how he'll be doing his chuckle that he often does throughout the anime.

The only character I worry about is Misa, since her voice will most probably be done horribly and overly-annoying, but I shouldn't criticize yet. L's voice I'm also wondering about, but it seems it's easier to handle than Misa's.

Basically, the First Episode overall was done well.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

SSBB: 0602-5947-4393 ("SX")
PM me if you add.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:33 AM #555 of 573
I feel like I'm listening to a bunch of classic voice actors who've work on gundam wing >=]. You took the words outta me, X. What I like to add to the satisfaction was that Ryuk was the best part in the episode. Who else but Brian Drummond could do it? It was only meant to be since he pulled off that kind of tone when he did Vegeta in the canadian side of DBZ. Overall, its a start and things will go well. It's OG anyway ;p.

What I'm waiting for is that subbedversion of that special that came out. I only saw it RAW but I'd really like to know what Light said when he laughed at a L's grave.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 08:00 AM #556 of 573
Thought I bring this to everyone's attention.

Japenese comic book rattles military school | NBC12 | Virginia News

It says that some military school senior was suspended for having a book titled Death Note with a list of people's name in it.

Too bad there's no picture around to see what he looks like. Fuckin queer lol.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
MrSatan
I'm the best, and the best thing is you know it!

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:35 PM #557 of 573
weird, the 3 hour special is nowhere to be found yet!!

I was speaking idiomatically.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:16 AM #558 of 573
There was a fansub done by someone but it was available for a short period of time. I wonder why Animanda hasn't worked on it yet. Anyway, I was giving DN a watch on the Adult Swim time slot and I must say that I'm really not all into it like I used to. All I wish for is to see that Naomi and L serial killer case animated. Then I'll think about buying the US dvds someday...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:42 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2007, 01:42 PM #559 of 573
Well, this might already common knowledge by now, but Viz are due to release 2 new books on February 19th, 2008:

Death Note: vol.13 - How to Read
Originally Posted by Amazon.com
An encyclopedic guide to the Death Note manga series, including character bios, storyline summaries, interviews with creators Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata, production notes and commentaries, and bonus manga pages.

Death Note: Another Note (novel)
Originally Posted by Amazon.com
There’s a killer loose in Los Angeles and super-sleuth L is on the case. Along with Naomi, a former FBI agent, he helps the LA police solve the grisly crimes. In typical Death Note fashion, things get complicated. And there’s a big surprising plot twist at the end of the book.

Well, looking forward to the "How to Read". The novel also seems interesting so might take a look at that too when the time comes...

FELIPE NO
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:27 PM #560 of 573
Our friends Kuro-hana released the HD version of the special.

Kuro-Hana Fansubs

Im pretty sure they'll release a lower quality version for some of you who can't handle mkv types. Too bad it doesn't work on the ps3. Any idea how I can convert .mkv to mp4?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2008, 05:40 PM #561 of 573
I just check out the 2 hour special but I was just skimming thru some of my favorite parts, although,

Spoiler:
I wish they would have added a bit more to some scenes but the overall runthruogh of the first half of the series was very well done. But I was hoping they would end it with the original manga ending but the L parts were the best anyways. Best added scene had to be the end with Light at L's grave but I can't say I enjoyed the backside of Light's doggy style...
But other than that, the brutal deaths at the end were awesome
Spoiler:

Jam it back in, in the dark.

New Record!
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2008, 06:18 PM #562 of 573
I felt it was a bit weird :

Spoiler:
At the end, Ryuk told him that he wasn't god. But who the hell was that other shinigami walking down the stairs? Was that Light? or was he just talking to himself

Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2008, 06:33 PM #563 of 573
Spoiler:
the shinigami walking down the stairs at the end was the same one from the beginning who gave ryuk the apple and heard his story. He just didn't stick around for the end and I assume he went to the real world

How ya doing, buddy?

New Record!
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 04:39 AM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 05:39 PM #564 of 573
Well, just finished reading the 13th volume: How to Read. It's chock full of information and has an interesting interview with the author and mangaka. I especially liked the bonus manga that was included. It's not a continuation or anything like that. It was apparently something like a pilot story, and probably not really canon - though it features Ryuk. It does feature a special item though, brought by Ryuk that can be used with the Death Note.....
Spoiler:
....the Death Note ERASER!!! After killing people, you can use the eraser to rub out the victim's name. As long as the person hasn't been cremated, they will return to life..... LOL!!! Hilarious, but true....I'm not making this up!!!

Definitely worth to buy. Check it out!

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:16 AM #565 of 573
Well, just finished reading the 13th volume: How to Read. It's chock full of information and has an interesting interview with the author and mangaka. I especially liked the bonus manga that was included. It's not a continuation or anything like that. It was apparently something like a pilot story, and probably not really canon - though it features Ryuk. It does feature a special item though, brought by Ryuk that can be used with the Death Note.....
Spoiler:
....the Death Note ERASER!!! After killing people, you can use the eraser to rub out the victim's name. As long as the person hasn't been cremated, they will return to life..... LOL!!! Hilarious, but true....I'm not making this up!!!

Definitely worth to buy. Check it out!

Spoiler:
Ahh the Death Eraser. There was that One Shot DN manga with Taro and Ryuk in it. They also used the eraser to bring everyone back to life. That's pretty awesome.

Actually..There's another One Shot Pilot that takes place 3 years after the manga. I'll upload for everyone ASAP.

EDIT :

Death Note - 3 years Later OSP

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by chato; Feb 21, 2008 at 06:22 AM.
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 01:00 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 02:00 AM #566 of 573
Spoiler:
Ahh the Death Eraser. There was that One Shot DN manga with Taro and Ryuk in it. They also used the eraser to bring everyone back to life. That's pretty awesome.
Spoiler:
Yeah, that's the one. Taro and Ryuk. Pity I didn't quite get the ending though. There were 2 death notes in the human world, but Taro made it seem like the one Miura used was the same one he used (when they explained it all to the 2 detectives, making everyone think there was only one death note). Then that death note was incinerated. So Taro still kept a death note but didn't do anything with it? He still has it seven years later because Ryuk is still with him.

Thanks for the 3 years later chapter, chato. If only they had included that in volume 13.... The end was....
Spoiler:
....a little meh though. Kinda anti-climatic.....and still no confirmation of Misa's death too!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 01:55 PM #567 of 573
Welcome, hikarub.

Spoiler:
Yeah I felt the same way when I read it through my first run. The second time, I thought it was pretty cool. I really wanted to see how the Otaku Kira was going to handle things but since he has the mind of an otaku and just ended up killing people cause they wanted to die, Near already saw right through him. He wanted no part of it and ended up telling him how it is. Kiling himself with the death note was stupid but it shows that he had no purpose in life nor a future. Sucks for him.

It would've been better if he told the cheap-kira to meet with him and smoke some piff to get along XD.

btw hikarub, wasn't Misa's death confirmed as suicide in How To Read 13?

FELIPE NO

Last edited by chato; Feb 21, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 02:34 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2008, 03:34 AM #568 of 573
Well....
Spoiler:
....it wasn't really mentioned in black and white. When you first open the book, after a few pages you'll come to the character profiles. All characters are shown with their personal data, personality, quotes, abilities, etc. For those who have perished during the story, they will have a date of death under their date of birth.

Misa has a date of death, though her death was never shown or hinted at in the manga.
Her D.O.D is 02/14/2011, Valentine's Day, and over a full year after Light's D.O.D (01/28/2010). In the How to Read section which goes through the story in chronological commentary, Misa's death is just a footnote in the epilogue as:
Quote:
02.14.2011 - Misa Amano dies.
That's it. No mention of how or why. I was kinda disappointed in that....but....

In a section called The 13 Truths of Chapter 108, question 12 was "Why didn't Misa appear in the final chapter?" Ohba-sensei's answer:
Quote:
....I just couldn't come up with a situation to fit her in. Misa had lost her memories as Kira but still loved Light. And since those who use the notebook suffer misfortune, someone like Matsuda probably let it slip that Light had died. Misa then fell into depression and committed suicide...something like that.
The book also references a conversation between Misa and Rem during the Yotsuba arc, where Misa tells Rem that if Light died she wouldn't be able to go on living without him.

So I guess her suicide was hinted at here and there, but even the confirmation isn't much of a confirmation in my opinion. Or am I simply asking for too much?

Oh well......

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by hikarub; Feb 22, 2008 at 02:37 PM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:04 PM #569 of 573
Spoiler:

So I guess her suicide was hinted at here and there, but even the confirmation isn't much of a confirmation in my opinion. Or am I simply asking for too much?

Oh well......

Spoiler:
Basically... You just have to use your imagination in the end. I kinda felt annoyed that nothing was really answered but the anime shows more than a hint is to how Misa would end her life. At the same time, she did make two or three deals with the shinigamis and that halved one too many of her life span. Dying from "natural causes" due to her death eye deals

All's well that end's well.

How ya doing, buddy?
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2008, 02:35 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 03:35 AM #570 of 573
Heh heh, just finished reading Death Note: Another Note yesterday. Not quite what I expected, but I guess I can't really complain about the story or it's execution. It is a light novel after all....

For those of you interested, the story takes place before the events of the manga, in Los Angeles where "L" has decided to take on a case of serial killings. Assisting him is FBI agent Naomi Misora who is on a leave of absence from the Bureau. (Fans of the manga will recall that "L" knows Naomi as someone who has worked with him in the past). When the story starts, 3 murders have already happened by the time "L" and Misora get involved. Using clues and hidden meanings and messages from the previous crime scenes, they must work out and prevent the 4th murder from taking place and capture the killer. Completely throwing Naomi off though, is the sudden appearance of a thin, slouched young man named Ryuzaki who claims to be a private detective also hired to solve the crimes.

Despite the interesting premise, the story did sort of do the run-around here and there. It was interesting who the author used as the narrator, but again you just wish he'd shut up and get on with the story sometimes.

If you want to know who the narrator is.....
Spoiler:
.....it's Mello. It's part story and part notes or memoir. Obviously written after "L"s death since Mello mentions the Death Note ocassionally. He obviously heard the case from "L", probably one of those stories to the kids in the orphanage mentioned by Near in that 3 Years Later story posted by Chato. Mello mentions this file would be left behind so that someone would eventually find and read it, that someone being either Near or Kira.

I wish more had been done to flesh out the story, since the whole thing felt a little rushed somewhat. But nevertheless, I can't say I didn't enjoy it. How they solved the case was clever, I'll give the author that. Naomi and Ryuzaki's interaction was cool too, and a little funny sometimes.

Anybody else read the book?

EDIT: Here's a color page from inside the novel:

Last edited by hikarub; Mar 11, 2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Added picture.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 02:53 PM #571 of 573
I remember reading this novel back then. I'm waiting for the next paycheck to come in so I can order both. Also , glad to know that it's in color. No wonder the cost is great ;p.

the BB Serial Killer case should be animated...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:20 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2008, 01:20 PM #572 of 573
Actually, just that page is in color

The rest of the novel is in text and there are no illustrations you would commonly find in a light novel. Just a black page with skulls and bones (Shinigami?) seperating the chapters.

Originally Posted by chato
the BB Serial Killer case should be animated...
Actually, if it is animated, it would give everything away near the very beginning!! So I don't think they will ever create an anime adaptation...

Last edited by hikarub; Mar 13, 2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: add stuff...
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:21 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2008, 12:21 PM #573 of 573
Just finished reading this as well, and man oh man... ***last 5 posts filler text--- iwantmybabybackbabybackbabybackbabybackiwantmybaby backbabybackbabybackbabyback... CHILI'S... baby back ribs... BBQ sauce...***

Spoiler:
...that had me at the end. The whole time I was envisioning the "Ryuzaki" there as L since his antics match the L in the anime. I know that was the point, but still, that got me going WTF at the arrest scene. Then that made the following explanation that much more satisfying.

Mello also mentioned 2 (?) other big cases/events involving L, hinting there may be more Death Note light novels on the way, despite him saying he won't feel like sharing them. I hope those stories come out though. These pre-Death Note cases could be a lil bit money.

I was speaking idiomatically.
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Death Note