Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Anime and Manga Recommendations

Gankaku
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 16295

Level 1.34

Dec 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:48 AM #26 of 87
Yakitate

*sorry, I tried to post images and urls but I don't have enough post counts to do this. I will try to come back and insert them later.

Yakitate

Type: Anime/Manga
Genre: Comedy
Length: I think there are over 60 episodes. I'm only up to 12.
Setting: Modern Japan
Rated: Everyone. It's family-fun safe (as far as I have seen.) No violence and no romance, from what I've seen, just a really great story.

Paperback Manga: amazon.com/Yakitate-Japan-Takashi-Hashiguchi/dp/1421507196/sr=8-1/qid=1164986925/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-5029583-3377748?ie=UTF8&s=books[/url]

Episodes on Youtube for your enjoyment: Episode 1: youtube.com/watch?v=CTNf8JYNLz0[/url]

Story: Kazuma Azuma (or Azuma Kazuma on the English cartoon) has a life dream to be a baker - but not just any baker. He dreams to be the one who makes a national bread for Japan. He wants Japan to have a staple bread that will be as well loved as rice. And many countries have their own signature breads (France, Germany, etc.) and he wants Japan to also have one.

So he does all these bread experiments and names them Ja-Pan (it's a play/pun on the word pan which is a Japanese word for bread). So with each Ja-Pan # experiment, he gets closer to creating that national bread.

My thoughts
: The show is very fun once you start watching. It's quite comical. Also with the end of each episode you can't wait to watch the next because you must find out what happens! I like the play on words and seeing all the interesting bread combinations that Azuma makes. What is REALLY funny is when someone tastes one of his breads. They're whisked off to other worlds in their minds, other places. It's funny to see their reactions.

I bought the first manga, and it seems to cover quite a few of the anime episodes. The cartoons keep quite in line with the manga, but expand a bit on it - so when I read the manga I noticed really that nothing was missing that was in the anime episodes.

Quite enjoyable stuff, and I'd be interested in finding more anime/manga that run along these lines. There's no violence and no romance from what I've seen, just a really great story.

How ya doing, buddy?
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:33 AM #27 of 87
Utawarerumono: The One Being Sung

-Type: Anime Series
-Genre: Fantasy

-Length: 26 Episodes
-Some Screenshots: Coming soon once I re-hookup my hard drive.

Eruruu (left) and Aruruu(right) holding Mukuru

Hakouro (well, his back), Aruruu on Mukuru, and Benawi (back)

Clockwise from left: Hakouro, Benawi, Eruruu, Munto, Urutorii

Clockwise from Hakouro: Hakouro (obvoiusly), Benawi, Karura, Kurou, Dori, Gura (or visa versa, I dunno, they're twins), Oboro, and Eruruu

Touka with Kurou's Arm.

Karura ready to open a can of whoopass.

-Music Composer: Hijiri Anze, Miyu Nakamura, Suara (Opening)

This is some good music in this anime. The Opening theme is probably one of the more memorable ones I've heard, and unlike most others, I actually don't mind listening through this EVERY episode since it really doesn't get old. During the actual episode, the music fits the atmosphere and mood very nicely and they compliment each other very well. The Ending theme isn't nearly as good as the opening (then again, not much else is on the same level as the opening), but it's definitely not bad.
Music Found here: http://www.geocities.com/PianoSaxoph...arerumono.html

MUSIC: 19/20

The plot of Utawarerumono follows a protagonist who, like many protagonists, is an amnesiac and has little to no recollection of his past. He is found severely wounded and is nursed back to health by Tusukuru, a town elder of a small village, and her two granddaughters, Eruruu and Aruruu. After getting acquainted with the town, the protagonist joins the townspeople in fending off a mythological creature who comes at some nights and causes destruction. After this, the protagonist, who up to this point is more or less nameless, is given the name Hakouro, the name of Tusukuru's son, and the name of the father of the two granddaughters. Later on, the small town rises up and rebells against the government and overtakes it and becomes a powerful nation named after Tusukuru.

Personally, I love the plot (partially because I love the fantasy genre of anime) and the story advances at a perfect pace with the right amount of action and deep, emotional moments at the right times.

STORY: 30/30

The cast for Utawarerumono is pretty well rounded with the initially small party of Hakouro/Eruruu/Aruruu quickly expands to include many more memorable characters like Oboro (dual-sword wielding fighter), Benawi (captain of the army - polearm user), Touka (a swordmaster), and many more. Each character is developed fully and their motives and emotions are crafted beautifully, as if they were real people. Each has their background and past that they recall at certain points of the anime, and we also see exactly how each character develops and how their personality forms and changes as the series goes on. Their pasts are also exposed and we see exactly what their motivations are and just marvel at how much they've grown since you first saw them.

CHARACTERS: 30/30

It's a rather generic art style that is typical for Fantasy type anime. Not saying that it's bad, but it doesn't set itself apart in this respect. The characters, however, are well designed physically. There are a few sections that are CG rendered, but for brief periods of time. Otherwise, the animation is smooth, and the art is clean, albeit somewhat generic.

ANIMATION/ART: 15/20

Overall Score: 94/100

Final Thoughts: It's a really good anime if you love fantasy anime (like me). There's enough action to keep you engrossed in the story and more than enough dramatic moments, and even some romantic moments. You grow fond of all the characters as you watch them develop.

Here's the Opening Sequence if you're curious. The fighting here is, unfortunately, probably the best you'll see (for Oboro at least, and probably the twins too). But it's damn good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zd14...elated&search=

or

You can listen to the FULL theme song complimented with some good (non-spoiling) clips of the anime.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rFzhIBlMyfg

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request

Last edited by Omnislash124; Jan 14, 2007 at 08:40 PM.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 01:33 PM Local time: Dec 11, 2006, 01:33 PM #28 of 87
That looks like a really good anime, Omni. Any idea when the first volume's set to be released in the US?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 02:32 PM #29 of 87
Looks like January of 2007.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
parKbench
chunin

Member 17747

Level 13.94

Jan 2007

Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:37 PM #30 of 87
OK I'm gonna give this a shot:

MAISON IKKOKU
manga/anime (never saw the anime)
1980's
humor/romance
setting: 80's Japan
length of manga: 15 volumes

This is my absolute favorite manga of all time. It is so funny. It is about this failing college student named Godai. He lives in this old, run-down boarding house with the most insane neighbors you can find. They party all day and night, keeping Godai from ever studying. The only reason he stays is because he is secretly in love with his landlord....she's a woman, but he won't confess his feelings until he feels that he can support her and take her away from all the crazy tenants.

The writer/artist is Rumiko Takahashi the creator of Ranma 1/2 and Inu Yasha

(I don't know how to post any images. Sorry...)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Shadow_memory
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 17868

Level 1.02

Jan 2007

Old Jan 6, 2007, 06:45 AM 1 #31 of 87
Well, might as well donate some of my favorites

the older one first;

FullMetal Alchemist - Hagane no renkijutsi
(anime)

(copy paste it into another browser, sorry but i am too new to be allowed to post images or hotlinks in general >_>)
http://www.zstore.com/images/fma_april.jpg
from the right (if you can spot them that is) Roy Mustang, Riza Hawkeye, Alfonse Elric (yep, the armor dude, and its empty O_O)m and Finally Edward Elric.

Genres: Fantasy, Horror(themes in a few of the episodes. not every one of them.) Mecha (slightly, look at Edwards arm)

Episodes (anime) 51 INCLUDING a movie.

Main plot:
The two main characters, Edward Elric and his younger brother Alfonse Elric lives alone with their mother, because their father left them for unknown reasons. Their mother dies in the beginning of the show, and their tries to get her back using alchemy. however, within alhcemy, there are 2 golden rules that HAS to be followed. 1. you can NEVER create gold. 2. you can't ressurect someone already dead. because of "equivallent trade" you also need something to create something else of the same value.

the whole story revovles around the Elric brothers trying to regain what they lost then they tried ressuructing their mother. Edward was the lucky one and only lost a arm and a leg, while his younger brother lost his whole body.

when you try to resuruct someone, they will become "sins" and given a name therefrom. to become a true human again, they will need something far greater, and anything you could possible use for the equivallent trade, INCLUDING several human lives. and that is what is called, the phillosophers stone (most like heard that name before, it is an actual legend, about a red material which could be used to create life elixer which could lengthen your life, or the source to create gold. Harry Potter uses the same legend) The Elric brothers are also looking for the philosophers stone, believing it to be the only thing that could return them to normal, and the sins, (greed, lust, gluttony, wrath, pride, envy and sloth) seeks this out because they think they can become humans after achiving it.

It starts out kinda strange, as episode one would fit better as a episode 12 or more (too long ago to remember i'm afraid -.-) but later takes it from the very beginning.

i honestly don't know what this is rated, but i'd say 13+ or even 15+ because of gore. it is tied pretty well to the horror genre, and most likely something you should stay away from if you are easily scared, or just hates that kind of thing.

overall; 8/10
i loved the story, and the whole thing about alchemy is amazing. the background is unbelievably detailed, giving us the feel that whoever made this really thought about EVERYTHING.

as a last note, while the manga and anime starts the same, they develop differently. don't ask why, and since i haven't read the manga yet, i can't tell the huge difference, it is just what i've been told.

more to go....

Ouran high school host club

Genre: comedy, romance, shounen/shoujo-ai (not the main one though) high school.
episodes (anime) : 26

http://www.pour-soi.net/images/diary...410/host02.jpg

This one really got me. i was hooked the moment i first saw this. the first episode shows us this transfer student Haruhi, who tries to find a place to read. when she enters the third music room, she finds the host club, who consist of (from the left) Mori (the silent, cool guy) Honey (the cute one) Haruhi (the "natural one" and a GIRL on top of that) Tamaki (the "leader/chairman") beneath him, the twins, the uber one is hikaru, and the lower one is kaoru (xO how did i know? xDD) and finally in the uber left corner, Kyouya, (the "SHADOW king". all the members of the host club follows HIS ideas, NOT tamaki's xP

the whole idea of the host club is to amuse rich girl with too much time on their hands. ("those rich bastards" -quote Haruhi xD) Haruhi is somehow forced into the club *cough* and because she looks like a boy (don't ask why no one on the whole damn school knows) she also becomes a host.

the whole thing lacks a plot, but it is still funny as hell, and i enjoyed most of the episodes. the only thing that kinda sucked was too many flashbacks where they use a whole episode showing how the characters were when they were younger. some of em can be funny, but sometimes, all those fillers bores you to death >_>

The funny part is their personallities.
Tamaki is the stupid one. his iq seems to be waaaay below 100, but he is amazingly good at charming girls for some reason. (maybe dumbness makes him cute xP)
Kyouya is incredibly intelligent, but has a darker side because of a huge pressure his father puts on him. even if he always seems quite friendly, and always wears a "im-happy" smile, he is wicked to the core, and that makes him incredible funny xD
Honey, the little cute CAKE freak. he eats sweets all the time. even though he looks very young, he is actually a senior, and he is deffinatly not stupid either. he is also told not ever to use his full strenght whenever he gets in a fight, because japan is afraid that other countries will think they hold mass destruction weapons O_o he is very strong xP
Mori is like the protector of Honey (as if that would be needed) and he is a master in kendo (what a pair O_x)
The twins are EVIL! they act like homos when they amuse the girls, and it REALLY works. everything they do, no matter HOW innocent it may look, has an evil meaning behind it. the two are almost ALWAYS together.
Kaoru however, is far more intelligent than his brother, or at least more mature. Hikaru seems to like haruhi (because of the fact that she can instantly see the difference in those two no matter what they do to conceal it.) but is too stupid to realize this himself (or so says kaoru xP)

Haruhi is the girl who looks a little too much like a boy. the first episode involves the whole host club slowly figuring out that she is a girl. She is the only poor student in the school, and is only there because she is extremely intelligent.

other than what i just wrote, the whole host club except for haruhi all have VERY powerful families.
Tamakis father is by FAR the most powerful, and he even owns the school itself.
Kyouya's family owns quite a bit of companies as well, (hospitals and police forces)
Mori's family has always been there to aid honeys.
Honey's family trains elite forces in close combat, and is highly regarded within the military.
the twins also have powerful parents, but i actually don't know/remember why they are...

overall 8/10. definatly a must see if you like the comedy genre and either likes the non action animes, or just want to get a like break from bleach ect.

WELL since i am APPARENTLY not allowed to split it into more posts it'll have to do like this. sorry if it is too confusing....

Tsubasa Chronicle

Lenght: 46 tv episodes and 1 movie (dunno about manga, never read those)

Genre: action, adventure, fantasy, comedy and romance (in my opinion at least)

the story itself is about a princess named Sakura, who loses her "heart". this suddenly happens when she gets near an archeoligist site with an ancient structure. Her "heart" takes form as HUGE wings, and when her childhood friend and crush (he doesn't know though) tries to save her, her wings scatter and so does her memory. they are then send to another dimension, where they meet yuuko the dimensional witch (xxxholic anyone? it is actually the one and same person we are talking about, and as far i as i've heard, cardcaptor sakura is also related to this anime) along with Sakura and her friend, called Shaoran, 2 other persons appear. one of them, a knight, who only wants to become stronger and get back to his own dimension again, and the other, a mage who wants to get away from someone he sealed away in his own dimension.

the dimensional witch yuuko, tells them that to save Sakura from death, they'll have to gather her feathers (to complete the wings, or more correctly, her memory, once again.) but since they are scattered across many dimensions. that can only be done, if you give up the most important thing to you (except for your own, or someone elses life of course)

the wings that emerged are a fysical form of the "will-of-the-heart" the person has. since Sakura has a very strong heart, her wings a HUGE. and not just that, every feather holds a lot of power, causing quite a lot of trouble for our friends.

http://kss.mysticalaura.com/info/tsubasa/trcanime.jpg

from left to right:
Sakura; the girl who lost her memory. the most important thing to her was the same as shaorans. their relationship. no matter how much she tries to remember herself, she wont be able to remember anything about shaoran ever again. she has lost both of her parents, and were living with her older brother (or the king) who didn't quite liked the idea of her and shaoran being together.
Shaoran; a martial artist, and also an archeoligist, who has lost both of her parents.
Kurogane; the swordsman, who gave up his most precious sword in exchange to be able to travel through the dimensions. he was cursed by a princess from his own dimension, which causes him to get weaker if he kills someone (he did that alot) and truth to be told, he only wants to get back home. unfortunatly, he can't before they have completly gathered Sakuras memory.
Mokona; the little white... thing. it is this little fellas job to give them messages from yuuko, and tell them where the feather is (not really, but it has an ability to help making it easier) REALLY likes to mock kurogane.
FINALLY!
Fey D. Flowright; my favorite character in this anime. he is a mage, but doesn't use magic because he promised never to use magic without a certain tatoo on his back (which were taken to allow dimension travelling) He is the funniest character i have seen for long, and he really ENJOYS mocking Kurogane, especially by giving him names (like kuro wan-wan/kurorin/kuropuu, and other dog names.) he is VERY strong even though he is a mage, and appears to be stronger than Kurogane. my favorite quote from his; "Hyuu" which is something he says alot... his reason; "well i can't whistle!" Fey is the exact oposite of Kurogane. Fey is ALWAYS smiling, except when playing serious. other than that, he RARELY removes his smile (this means he does) Kurogane on the other hand is cold and serious at all times, which is probably why Fey and Mokona likes mocking him with stupid names xP

In my opinion, a GREAT anime, but to be honest, i don't watch it because of the main couple (Sakura and Shaoran) i watch it because i like the cute and innocent Sakura and the funny pair consisting of Kurogane and Fey (no shounen ai tho xP)

i'd give it 7/10 because of good animations, but because of lacking background history, and a somewhat boring plot. every episode seems to be Shaoran fighting for his life for 1 of Sakuras feathers, and thats about it... thank god they put Kurogane and Fey in there as well xP

might as well add some more, but this post is starting to get quite long don't you think? O_o

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Shadow_memory; Jan 6, 2007 at 07:52 PM.
Dreaded_Wolf
Phoenix

Member 8569

Level 1.60

Jun 2006

Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:42 PM Local time: Jan 11, 2007, 08:42 PM #32 of 87
My Animes

Okay.. I hope i do this right O.o

Anime

Marmalade Boy

Genre: Romantic Comedy

Episodes: 76, Completed

OVA's?: No.

Marmalade Boy is a great anime for Romantic Comedy fans. The main character is Miki Koishkiwa who got alot of love problems. Many boys are starting to like her, causing problems with her boyfriend. But i wont spoil too much =)

My Rating: 8/10

Ouran High School Host Club

Episodes: 26(I think), Completed

OVA's?: No.

Well, this anime isn't that great, but its a good spare time anime to watch =) i Don't remember the main character name... But she (He in episode 1) breaks a 6 million yen vase, and works part time at Ouran High School's Host Club. After a while she gets promoted to a Host, and a lot of things happen.

My Rating: 6/10

Naruto

Genre: Action Comedy

Episodes: 211, Not Completed, Possible Stopped.

OVA's?: No, not yet, if to come.

Naruto has to be my favorite anime ever. It's packed with action and comedy, so great it made the 211 episodes go past quickly! It's about a young boy named Naruto, who desperately tries to become a ninja, but since a Nine Tailed Demon Fox is sealed within him, he has problems making friends. But after graduating from the Ninja Academy he becomes a Genin, and goes with epic adventures with Sakura, Sasuke and many other fellow ninjas!

My Rating: 9 1\2 /10

Bleach

Genre: Action, Partly Comedy

Episodes: 109, Not Completed, Still in Making.

OVA's?: No, not yet, if to Come.

Bleach is an Action anime, with partly Comedy.. Okay a little more comedy :P It's about a boy named Ichigo, who can see ghosts. Suddenly some wierd monsters, only seen by Ichigo appears, and when the girl Rukia whom has the Death God/Soul Reaper/Shinigami Power, gives Ichigo her powers, his life changes big time!

My Rating: 9/10

finally

Love Hina

Episodes: 27 if i remember correctly.

OVA's?: Yes, i only know of "Love Hina Again" though.

Love Hina is about a boy named Keitaro, who is desperately trying to get into Tokyo.U (Tokyo University) because of a girl he made a promise with when he was a kid. After failing several times, he decides to live with his Grandmother, since his parents can't feed him, but when he gets there, he cant find her, and suddenly gets into a bath with a pretty woman. After some times he discovers that his Grandmothers inn has been turned into a "All-Girls Dormitory"! And from there on, his aunt makes him the manager there, and a funny tale of romance begins... Who is the girl he made the promise with? You will find out =)

Ratings: 8 1\2 /10

other animes:
Tokyo Mew Mew, Ratings: 7/10
Ai Yori Aoshi, Ratings: 5/10 *perverted alert*
Gantz, Ratings, 5/10 *Head splattering, blood and kind hentai alert*
Powerpuff Girls Z, Ratings 3/10 *LOL*
Fruits Basket, Ratings: 6/10

thats all i can remember now

How ya doing, buddy?
I called your boyfriend gay...And he hit me with his purse =/

My usual nickname is Phoenix, but this account was created before i invented Phoenix.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2007, 08:18 AM #33 of 87
I'm moving the guidelines over to this post in order to keep the index clean.

Guidelines

Mandatory Items to be Included:
-Provide the full title for the anime or manga
-Is it an anime series? A manga? An OAV or movie? Please make sure you clearly state what it is.
-Please provide which genre (comedy, action, etc) it falls under. If it fits in more than one category, feel free to list them all.
-You must somehow mention what the anime, movie, OAV, or manga is about. Avoid spoiling the plot for others, and use spoiler tags when appropriate. Also, try not to copy-paste summaries from other sites.
-As this is a recommendation thread, please voice your thoughts!

Helpful Things You May Want to Provide:
-Length of the series
-A non-spoiler screenshot or two
....Try not to stretch tables
....Don't forget about the dial-up users!
....For larger images, please either resize or use thumbnails
-Music Composer
-Rating/Score
-Setting (modern-day city, a cloud, etc.)
-Alternate Titles (i.e. Honey and Clover/Hachimitsu to Clover)
Please please please please please please please thumbnail gianormous images, as there may be some 56k users. As to what qualifies as gianormous, please use proper judgement. If you wish, you may put multiple images in spoiler tags if you happen to have a lot, as this means less scrolling to get to the next post. Thank you much.

That's about it! Remember to try and add some substance to your post! Posts containing only, "I agree!," or, "I love (Insert Title Here)" won't be tolerated. Questions concerning certain series should be put into the General Questions thread or the appropriate thread for the series, if one already exists.
You might want to read that over before whoever's in charge of this gets here first.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Digital_Divider
because bastard operators from hell get all the ladies.

Member 8324

Level 6.27

Jun 2006

Old Mar 9, 2007, 01:36 AM #34 of 87
I may as well try and offer one of my favorites up.. Please sirs, don't flog me.

.Hack//SIGN

Type: Anime
Number of episodes: I count 27
Genre: A dash of comedy and action with a heaping amount of mystery.
Setting: Fantasy

Almost the entirety of .hack//SIGN takes place within a game otherwise known as "The World" Which happens to be a hit MMORPG, or Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

The anime follows the interactions between the characters Bear, Mimiru, BT, Sora, Crim, Silver Knight, Subaru and most importantly, Tsukasa within this game. For the most part, the story focuses around Tsukasa.. Y'see.. he has a little bit of a problem: He can't log out of the game for some reason.. Additionally various strange things tend to happen around him, things that would be deemed impossible by anyone else in the game world...

pictures: sorry folks, no pictures for you.

My Opinion: Personally I think this series is a work of art. The musical score from the opening theme to background music throughout the episode fits in very well. The character animations were pretty average, but I loved the art. So many different scenes and all of them done extremely well in my opinion.

The storyline is both confusing and enthralling at the same time... sometimes It jumps a little bit outside of the game dealing with some aspects of the character user's life and is never truly straightforward, meaning you have to pay attention to glean any sort of information on the user's back story. other times the story focuses on Tsukasa's dilemmas and how the other characters tie in to them.

The story picks up it's steam, but it picks it up slowly. Don't come into this expecting a lot of action, this anime is more based around mystery than it is action.

Pros:

-The story is enthralling, at least it was to me. You never truly know everything about a character or user and what you do find out you had to really pay attention in order to learn.

-It takes place in an MMORPG, that in and of itself was amusing to me.

Cons:

-Others will complain that the storyline is to slow and even more will complain that it lacks action.

Rating: 7/10

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I am myself. You can't change me. I am who I am.
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2007, 09:43 AM Local time: Apr 17, 2007, 09:43 AM #35 of 87
Noein - to your other self

Noein - to your other self

Genres: Adventure, Drama, Romance, Science Fiction, Slice of Life
24 Episodes

Summery: Fifteen years in the future, by high-level scientific power, a violent battle takes place between La'crima, that protects humanity, and Shangri-La, where Noein plans the annihilation of all space-time. The key to stopping Shangri-La's invasion is a mysterious object known as "the Dragon's Torque." A group known as the Dragon Cavalry is being sent through space and time to find it and bring it back to La'crima to stop Shangri-La's invasion.
In the present, twelve-year old Haruka and her friends are investigating where a "ghost" had been seen in a grave yard, where they run into these Dragon Cavalry. Where they had trouble traveling through space-time. Being frieghtened by this group in black cloaks they run away, where Haruka having a strange feeling leaves her friends where she meet Karasu, one of the Dragon Cavalry, one of her friends, Yuu, comes to her aid agains this 'ghost'. Karasu tells Yuu that he can not safe that girl, because He is Yuu from the future.

Music: Hikaru Nanase

My opinion: WOW! That is all I have to say. I was Amazed that i had not hear more about this. The art style slightly more crude than alot of other anime, but over all it is WONDERFUL! The animation is some of the smoothest animation I have seen in a while. The fight scenes are smooth, and not just a bunch of teleporting about. The characters are likable, and the anime while having a large amount of SciFi as a lot of down to earth family type issues in it. A very VERY well thought out complex issue brining the world of Shang-La and La'crima at ends. The Music is Wonderful, it flows great into the environment and makes the story come even more alive.

(will come back and ad some pictures)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 09:41 PM #36 of 87
Can someone recommend something to me?

Ok, so I'm a big sci-fi geek, and was wondering if there was anything that was good that was had alot of space-action, or fighters, etc... Please help me Just finishing up Robotech now

Most amazing jew boots
Licensed Commercial Pilot!
Currently: Float Pilot in BC
Need a pilot? PM Me.
Commercial Pilot, land and seaplanes, single and multi engines, instrument rating... I'm a jack of all trades! I can even be type rated!

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 10:21 PM #37 of 87
Outlaw Star. Lots of action, spaceships with arms, and plenty of humor.

Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 11:08 PM Local time: May 14, 2007, 08:08 PM #38 of 87
You might also like Planetes. Although it doesn't have much fighting (if any), the better part of the series takes place in space and is very realistic.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
Archaic Demigod
Banned

Member 17156

Level 3.09

Dec 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 06:16 AM Local time: May 15, 2007, 04:16 AM #39 of 87
VanDread.* Very comical and has a lot of spaceships and a pretty good plot. It's a must see.

FELIPE NO
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 07:13 AM Local time: May 15, 2007, 08:13 PM #40 of 87
Well theres always the popular Gundam series if you want to watch it~

Hmm Sci-Fi doesn't count Mechas right? What about Mechas in space?

There are also:
* Stellvia of the Universe (comedy/action/adventure/sci-fi)
* Xenosaga: The Animation (Base on the PS2 game)
* Stratos 4 (lotsa action but not in space)
* Crest of the Stars (very popular series)
* Martian Successor Nadesico (comedy/action/sci-fi)

Well I guess thats all I can come up with right from top of my head

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 08:30 AM Local time: May 15, 2007, 08:30 AM #41 of 87
Locke you've been around to know there is a General questions and an anime recommendation threads, to be honest I'm kinda surprised the mods haven't pounced on this and closed it.
But if your looking for Sci-fi Space action I would recommend ot you
  • Outlaw Star, good animation, cool plot, awesome art, great story pretty funny
  • Nadesico, AWESOME stuff, alittle bit of everything that is awesome there
  • Banner and Crest of the Stars, its a more serous plot, but from what i have seen of the show i like it personally.
  • Macross, if you Liked robot tech you will propably like this
  • Gundam, you might like these some are deffenly better than others, just check into them
  • Cowboy Bebop, If you havn't seen this, i would recommend it anyway, there is some really cool space action in it.
  • Vandread, Awesome, amazing, a must watch for comedy!
Well, still i would check www.animenewsnetwork.com and check out all the series recommended to you here, and see what you do like of them.

Last edited by aku; May 15, 2007 at 09:53 AM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 08:34 AM Local time: May 15, 2007, 09:34 PM #42 of 87
I see all my favourites have been mentioned already

I'd recommend Planetes, but it's more of a "salaryman in space" show than one with epic space battles, so I'd point you to the Crest/Banner of the Stars series instead. There's four seasons of this, the last one in OVA form. An absolute pleasure to watch from beginning to end.

Starship Operators might be a good watch too, if you want something slightly more intellectual.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Old May 15, 2007, 09:36 AM #43 of 87
Nobody is recommending The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. What's wrong with you people? >=/

Also, I want to beat you for not prefixing this shit, Locke. With a stick!

Most amazing jew boots
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 07:58 AM #44 of 87
I loved Planetes, but I doesn't sound like what he'd be looking for.

Outlaw Star and Vandread are very solid bets.

I especially recommend Vandread. It's everything you'll be looking for. Sci-Fi, comedy, action and a solid story. Outlaw Star is pretty much the same, but the fighting isn't necessarily in space.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2007, 12:04 AM Local time: May 22, 2007, 12:04 AM #45 of 87
Woohoo. I finally updated the links. Hopefully, they're all working correctly. Please do let me know if there are any problems. As for the sketchy reviews--I'll try to clear these up. ='D

Last edited by elwe; May 22, 2007 at 12:07 AM.
Yamigarasu
Ace P.I.

Member 22229

Level 7.28

Apr 2007

Old May 26, 2007, 05:41 PM Local time: May 26, 2007, 07:41 PM #46 of 87
Outlaw Star is good indeed, but IMO the english dubb it's freacking terrible, another one of the greatest cartoon network fucked ups... If you don't mind, or you find a good "outlaw" fansubber, go for it.

Most amazing jew boots
Ozma
Here's Johnny!!!

Member 10311

Level 25.67

Jul 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 05:13 AM Local time: May 27, 2007, 05:13 PM #47 of 87
Try these.
  • Galaxy Angel. This is a must-be-watched series, although it depicted very few combats, because...THIS IS A FUCKING GOOD COMEDY! A very crazy one, indeed. I cannot promise that you WON'T laugh after seeing this series. You may also want to check:
  • Galaxy Ange-lune. It's sequel.
  • Gene Shaft. Not very popular (at least in my country), but cool enough.
  • Garasu no Kantai. Awesome! expect if you DON'T like political issues.
  • Getsumen To Heiki MINA. A bit crazy. It's a comedy-type, though...

Btw, why does it all begin with G? I don't know; don't ask!
Maybe Haruhi wants it...

EDIT: I forgot these.
  • Galaxy Express 999
  • Harlock Saga, and Space Pirate Captain Herlock

They both takes place in space, despite the story itself is a bit murky.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Ozma; May 28, 2007 at 02:09 AM.
Old May 27, 2007, 12:19 PM #48 of 87
Why would you recommend Galaxy Angel Rune when only three episodes have been subbed? With the last being subbed in March there's a slim chance Katana-Fansubs will start working on it again any time soon. I mean, sure I happen to have it all RAW but there's something about understanding the show that could probably add to the enjoyment. Probably.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

lordo
Progressive Rock God

Member 346

Level 7.71

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 07:07 PM Local time: May 28, 2007, 10:07 AM #49 of 87
Eureka sevN is pure awesome, but it's not really space. Still awesome.

Ozma
Here's Johnny!!!

Member 10311

Level 25.67

Jul 2006

Old May 28, 2007, 02:05 AM Local time: May 28, 2007, 02:05 PM #50 of 87
Why would you recommend Galaxy Angel Rune when only three episodes have been subbed? With the last being subbed in March there's a slim chance Katana-Fansubs will start working on it again any time soon. I mean, sure I happen to have it all RAW but there's something about understanding the show that could probably add to the enjoyment. Probably.
Hey...I'm just recommending. It doesn't really matter whether it will be subbed in this time soon or not. At least he knows that there is a sequel. Look at the bright side: although the sub will come in the next 5 years, hey! He'll recognize it in a glance and won't be judging from the word 'lune'.

At least he knows.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [General Discussion] Anime and Manga Recommendations