Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

non-standard symbols showing up as "?"

Mersenne
The Red Priest

Member 2697

Level 38.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 28, 2011, 07:30 PM Local time: Aug 29, 2011, 11:30 AM #1 of 5
non-standard symbols showing up as "?"

I'm trying to display text symbols such as hearts, clubs, spades, diamonds and other symbols (not webdings font) in posts. The preview works fine, but the post replaces these symbols with "?".

For example, the effect I'm after:

http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/br...tml#post770359

The actual display:

http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/br...tml#post789392

Perhaps vB needs text symbol support?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

BACH 2012 | Music Show | Into The Music | Proust's Cookie | Blogs
Boston Review - The Sound of Philosophy | The Rest Is Noise - I Hate Classical Music
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:16 AM Local time: Aug 29, 2011, 07:16 PM #2 of 5
I don't know about that, isn't it based on your font? GFF uses Verdana as the main font.

Testing: ????

EDIT:
Okay, it works in Preview, but it doesn't work after it's been posted. My guess is the database tables being used by GFF only use ANSI, and not Unicode encoding. I've done this for an SMF installation, but I'm not sure how easy it is to convert for VBulletin. Who knows what things will break.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Last edited by Zergrinch; Aug 29, 2011 at 06:19 AM.
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:56 AM Local time: Aug 29, 2011, 03:56 PM #3 of 5
Yeah this works fine in the "preview" of posts and journal posts. When I publish the text, any symbol with a diacritic (including the french and scandinavian letters) will become a question mark.

It worked in the spring, I'm quite sure of that.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:14 PM Local time: Aug 29, 2011, 03:14 PM #4 of 5
Yeah this works fine in the "preview" of posts and journal posts. When I publish the text, any symbol with a diacritic (including the french and scandinavian letters) will become a question mark.

It worked in the spring, I'm quite sure of that.
That suggests it worked before the most recent transfer Balh did...maybe there's a difference.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2011, 01:19 AM Local time: Sep 4, 2011, 10:19 PM #5 of 5
Just dropping a note here that I have seen this and I am kind of working on it. No ETA, though.

This one will like everything else probably boil down to some combination of (1) fuck MySQL, (2) fuck PHP, and (3) fuck vBulletin.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Tags
fuck vbulletin

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > non-standard symbols showing up as "?"