Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Employment

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:15 PM #1 of 24
Employment

This is simple.

Do you love your job?
Do you hate your job?
Are you ambivalent about your job?
What is your ideal job?
Is there one task (or more) that makes you really love/hate your job?
Are you doing what you dreamed of (you lucky bastard)?

Let's talk about how much we love/hate/don't care/don't do the things we do to pay our bills!

Most amazing jew boots
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:21 PM Local time: Oct 26, 2010, 10:21 AM #2 of 24
No
Somewhat
No
Network Engineering
I hate dealing with customers over the phone when I know I can't just head out to the location and fix the problem in person.
No.

I work tech support for an ISP. I love the troubleshooting aspect, because I'm a problem solver and love to tinker. However, since pretty much all of my workload is talking to customers over the phone, I do not enjoy it as much as it puts me in a tough spot for actually fixing complex problems.

I would love (and am trying to push myself into) a networking job, either as an engineer or an administrator. Systems administration wouldn't be bad either, but I specialize in networks.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:49 PM Local time: Oct 26, 2010, 08:49 PM #3 of 24
My job's great. The hours are stupid long in summer but I'm getting paid a good wage to do something that's not hugely taxing, plus I work out in the countryside, three minutes drive from home, get fed twice a day by world class chefs, work with some really nice people and get to see an opera from time to time. There's nothing to really complain about.

Most amazing jew boots
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:13 PM 2 #4 of 24
I've discovered I like problem-solving. I get all excited when I figure out how to do something. In the course of figuring out how to do something I usually improve a process or what not, but just recently I figured out how to do something and now I have absolutely no motivation to actually implement it. Now that I've figured it out I'm ready for a new problem.

I'm otherwise totally unhappy with everything. Except Shin. I'm really happy about Shin.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:20 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2010, 12:20 PM #5 of 24
I've been in Hollywood for about 16 months writing music for film and television... it's my ideal job but sadly I'm starting to hate it. I wonder if this means I'm the sort of person who can never be satisfied.

The hours are long and I'm often trapped inside for days at a time. Sometimes you don't know if the shoe fits until you wear it for a while. Still... the money's good.

Most amazing jew boots
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:11 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2010, 09:11 PM #6 of 24
I don't love my job, it is certainly rewarding work, but I don't hate it either. Eventually I will tire of working here in this hospital. It does give me the rare opportunity to be paid to be fit. So from that stand point I have made great strides but my ideal job is to be an engineer. This job is just a means to that end since uncle sam will be paying for my schooling when I leave here.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:48 PM #7 of 24
I've discovered I like problem-solving. I get all excited when I figure out how to do something. In the course of figuring out how to do something I usually improve a process or what not, but just recently I figured out how to do something and now I have absolutely no motivation to actually implement it. Now that I've figured it out I'm ready for a new problem.
Sounds like you should go work for a Consulting Firm.

As for me. I'm not crazy about being an English teacher in South Korea and am hoping to make a career change next year. Teaching is a rewarding job but most of my students hate learning English and because I am placed in one of the most rural areas in South Korea (the last inhabitable township before North Korea), the children don't see much value for learning English at all. I can't blame them. Most of them will never step foot outside of Korea.

That being said, I was looking at going back to school in Korea after my contract, finishing my fluency in Korean and taking some other courses and try a stab at a different job field. Not sure what in particular, but I was thinking about getting involved with the G20 or some radio related job.

FELIPE NO
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Nov 2, 2010, 04:14 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2010, 02:14 PM #8 of 24
I'm pretty alright with my job at the moment. I've started work with another guy who I really see eye to eye with on research topics, and we're involved now in getting another research proposal funded from NASA. I have to TA fairly often, and most of the courses are really hard, so it's a ton of work, but I wind up learning way more than when I just took the classes and it's all probably for the best.

Ideally I'd like to wind up at a smaller non-tier 1 engineering research school. I love teaching and think it's really my strongest skill, and I don't have the research drive to compete for funding like the people at top universities.

As of now I'm doing what I've always wanted, though it's generally not as much fun as I'd hoped due to our lab having no money. So, instead of working on my project I'm working on fixing the latest machine that broke.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:00 AM 1 #9 of 24
I don't love my job. I've been accused of hating it, but that's not true either. I basically just tolerate my job--or more or less, the people I work with. I actually like what I have to do as of late. I sit here, on the internet for hours at a time and do maybe... 3-4 hours of real work a night. The rest of my 11-hour shift is spent on facebook, looking through forums, watching movies, or playing DS.

I really don't have any room to complain since I get paid pretty decently to babysit a store because corporate refuses to let us close down at nights. Oh well~

I do enjoy helping people when applicable, though. I'm surprisingly good at being patient with people who aren't tech savvy, but that doesn't stop me from laughing and talking about them behind their backs. I am a bad person. =\

Ideally, I'd like to do work as a prop production creator. I like making unique and geeky things, and I have a pretty high attention to detail, so I think I'd be pretty good at it. The main issue holding me back on this is my inability to save any kind of money to go toward the tools/supplies I need to make anything significant. Currently on the agenda is a 1:1 scale replica of the Companion Cube. Maybe in 2011.

Litigation is the one part of my job I hate. Sometimes, we have orders for stacks of receipts and miscellaneous things to be copied and they have to be exactly as-is. It doesn't take all that long, but the process of it is absolutely mind-numbingly boring and tedious.

Oddly enough, I am probably doing what I dreamed--which is getting paid to do a minimal amount of work. The pay isn't great, but then again, it's not bad considering all of the perks I get... Internet, wifi, and tons of free time, printing, scanning, 401k, decent insurance with dental coverage, and most of my week off.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:05 AM Local time: Nov 18, 2010, 04:05 AM #10 of 24
I hate my job. There. I said it. It's out there now.

Don't get me wrong; I love working. Even if it's not something in my field of interest, as long as I get to have a decent amount of pride or professionalism with what I do and I am satisfied with the level of quality I'm able to do with what I do, I will generally be a happy hard-working camper.

This "customer service" job though...

1) Not saying anything (a lot of times) is the best customer service available to the customer
2) I'm not allowed to explain our company's policies to defend our situation
3) moreover, we don't have any.

I've been over the "WTF?!" phase for over a period of 9 months and I just got my review today. It bugs me that they don't even clearly say/point out what I'm actually doing wrong. It makes me feel like the company in general just doesn't have the galls to explicitly point out and take an employee who's been abusing their company privledges to the side and speak in face-to-face terms with them.

The thing I hate most about my current work place is the gossip. Oh. Dear. God, these women have absolute no life, judging by the pure level of nosiness they have over other people's fucking business.

Shiro Kusanagi
One-Year War Veteran/WWWA Tro-Con

Member 22623

Level 2.86

Jun 2007

Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:17 PM Local time: Jan 21, 2011, 02:17 PM #11 of 24
Don't have one...
Computer programming
Again, don't have one.

It sucks, I know, but living in a county considered to be Millionaire Central near San Francisco is pretty dead employment wise. No one except Home Depot is hiring...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:07 PM Local time: Jan 23, 2011, 02:07 PM #12 of 24
Do you love your job? Yes.
Do you hate your job? Yes.
Are you ambivalent about your job? Never.
What is your ideal job? What I hope to be doing in two years: leading a computational linguistics research team.
Is there one task (or more) that makes you really love/hate your job? I love programming and statistics. Then again, I also hate them and wake up in the middle of the night horrified when I realize that I've fundamentally misunderstood something.
Are you doing what you dreamed of (you lucky bastard)? Almost. Grad school is over in five more months, and then I'll either be living the dream or homeless. Either way: at least I'll never have to TA a class again.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:50 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2011, 02:50 AM #13 of 24
Do you love your job?
Yes I do. I love teaching and, when I'm lucky enough to be employed as a designer, I ADORE doing that (until my partner/employer takes exception and swindles me/stops paying me).

Do you hate your job?
No.

No. I like what I do and, even though I've been asked if I want an administrative position but I couldn't imagine NOT working with students directly in a class or enrichment setting.

What is your ideal job?
Around here, I wouldn't mind working with a well-reputed design house like Red Chair. These guys are basically design gods in this area and constantly crunch out quality design work for local business and I feel like I could contribute to their creative collective quite well. The owner is notorious for not taking applications for employment and prides himself in hand-picking talent himself. Luckily for me, I was recently introduced to him by my restauranteur friend whom this company does the marketing for and he's requested that I come to his offices to meet with him about doing some part-time work for him. Needless to say, I'm STUPID excited about this because I would really like for this to turn into a full-time position!

I really hate having to deal with the administration of our after-school program. These people recently fired my boss for (insofar as I can tell) completely frivolous reasons and, since they're an at-will employer, they didn't give her a reason WHY they fired her; they just said "unsatisfactory performance requires management change". Whenever I don't have to rub elbows with those vultures, I absolutely love my job and I DREAD when they come to the campus because it's when I have to put up with their hypocritical modesty. Our area directors and human resources lady will come to our campus and give us all smiles and handshakes when, in reality, I know they're nitpicking every little thing we do wrong so that they can have an excuse to fire someone. I suspect they do this for monetary reasons because it's easier to pick up a green, fresh-out-of-college kid and pay them $9/hr than to pay someone like me who's been at this for 4 years or so $15/hr and it's something I despise about our management. I love teaching. It's working with the people who send me out to teach that I hate.

Yes and no. I always dreamed of being and artist and/or designer and, while I often do it for a living, my main source of income is still my teaching job. I just kind of fell into it and ended up loving it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rangel
Not as new as he looks

Member 1986

Level 9.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:00 AM #14 of 24
I wouldn't say that I hate my Job in sales for non-profit originations. It's definitely not glamorous by any means. I work for two local companies, and non-for profits that I care about which is nice. I get to go to some awesome orchestral concerts, both pop and classical, and I get to sell something that I truly believe in and can be a very entertaining experience. Working in sales I think I have a love/hate relationship with it.

The only thing I wish I could do is work more with kids or youth. I know that sounds strange, but having avenues like camps and stuff growing up for me was what helped me become a somewhat decent person in society, and I would love to give that opportunity to others. Maybe some day I’ll get out of the rut I’m in and move on to bigger and better things.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:19 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2011, 10:19 PM #15 of 24
Do you love your job?

No, but I do like it quite a bit. I get to test video games for THQ and I'm around some great people. I get paid time off, sick days, overtime (which is actually quite reasonable, especially compared to when I first started) and some great company outings.

Only when I've been on a project for over a year and especially when it's winding down. *cough*Homefront*cough* Otherwise I go with the flow and there isn't a lot for me to disagree about.

What is your ideal job?

Creative Director for my own game company. Yeah, who doesn't have that lofty ideal? Thankfully with the advent of iPhone, internet games, XBLA and such it makes it easier for people to break in on their own. The ease is certainly extremely marginal and it'll take a lot of hard work, dedication, frustration and money to do something like that, which is why I'm biding my time and money until I get to that point. And who knows how the game industry will be like 10 years from now. It's changing quite a bit but that is ultimately my ideal job. Otherwise I'll be happy with just about any art position.

What I really love is being able to see games in such an early stage of development and see it progress. You start to become invested in it, especially when your input is asked. Granted, it won't always make it into the final product; but when it is, it's very gratifying. Since I'm on the publisher end of QA I get to test a wide variety of games, good, bad, wrestling, driving, etc that I normally wouldn't have tried.

What I hate is the monotony. This is especially apparent when the title has shipped and all that is left are the Danish demo SKUs. Try testing a single level that can be completed in less than 10 minutes for 8 hours a day.

It's not my dream but it's quite a few others' dream. It's still a step in the right direction and I have a whole new respect for the QA department that I probably wouldn't have if I didn't do this job first.

FELIPE NO
hamblettamaud
the world's favourite doll

Member 31561

Level 23.35

Aug 2008

Old Aug 6, 2011, 06:25 PM #16 of 24
Do you love your job? No, I hate it.

Do you hate your job? Yes, I hate it.

Are you ambivalent about your job? No, I hate it.

What is your ideal job? Music orchestrator/arranger.

Is there one task (or more) that makes you really love/hate your job? No. All of the tasks of my job make me hate it, but I'm getting well paid to do it so I accept it.

Are you doing what you dreamed of (you lucky bastard)? Seriously?

I'd love to arrange music for films, as part of a production line, getting paid by the bar, but I accept that this is unlikely to happen. I've actually done this in the past, but I hated having to live in London and moving to Hollywood is a definite no-no so I gave it up not-very-lightly actually. My job now is basically babysitting although quite well paid. I get paid for sitting on my fat arse. No brainer.

Most amazing jew boots
just say hey and hey again
Lang Lang
Banned

Member 38316

Level 2.38

Aug 2011

Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:45 PM #17 of 24
Do you love your job?
I don't have a job. I have a profession. I enjoy being my own boss. I love myself. I have labored for every inch of progress and I have enjoyed the process.

Do you hate your job?
I don't hate anything.

I am ambivalent toward a few particular clients. They would never guess it.

What is your ideal job?
Radioactive superhero.

I love meeting people. After long enough, the Ritz-Carlton becomes a 5-star prison.

I haven't dreamed in a while.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Lang Lang; Aug 7, 2011 at 03:21 AM.
Silent J
Chocobo

Member 1832

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:55 PM Local time: Sep 5, 2011, 07:55 PM 1 #18 of 24
Do you love your job?
I love my job. I have met the most beautiful girl there and I get to work with her sometimes in the weekend. I want to be with her...

Do you hate your job?
See above.

Nope.

What is your ideal job?
At 25, and still need to figure it out.

No, being a manager at the men's section is really easy to not hate it.

Lately I'm dreaming of dying alone.

Shorty

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2012, 01:32 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2012, 11:32 PM #19 of 24
My New Job is to be UNEMPLOYED.

And I'm learning new things, and absolutely enjoying it.

I can attribute the part-time job as a means of having an income to sustain my food source without relying on more student loans, and it holds a purpose.

For the most part, my current work is to read, listen, and absorb. I have more work than I did in my undergraduate studies, however I can honestly say that I have undoubted faith it will benefit me desirably in future career prospects.

And I get to follow in my grandparents' footsteps. Not saying that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree because the affinity for the profession did skip a whole generation (well, my mom's cousin owns a ESL/TESOL school/training center, so maybe that doesn't count), but still, I think it's pretty cool.

I am a TIT (Teacher-In-Training)™. And I love it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2012, 09:48 AM Local time: Sep 9, 2012, 08:48 AM #20 of 24
I can honestly say that I have undoubted faith it will benefit me desirably in future career prospects.
Evidence. You have evidence it will benefit you in the future.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Shorty

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:11 AM Local time: Sep 9, 2012, 08:11 AM #21 of 24
Evidence. You have evidence it will benefit you in the future.
Not gonna argue with you. I am not sure I agree with your statement simply because I have seen plenty of bad teachers with master's degrees and those who did go through the program that didn't successfully land a good teaching job. But we shall see.

I was speaking idiomatically.
InvestmentBankr
Banned

Member 35157

Level 5.67

Jan 2010

Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:54 AM #22 of 24
Do you love your job? yes
Do you hate your job? no
Are you ambivalent about your job? sort of. i work in the finance industry and when it comes down to it, we just play with other people's money and what ends up happening is that the rich (me) get richer while the poorer (most of you) get poorer. as much as i don't like seeing people suffer, this is what i'm good at and i love watching my bank account increase every week, even if it is to the expense of other people. also, if it wasn't me, then someone else would take my place.
What is your ideal job? getting paid bucks to make the world a better place. but there's no profit incentive for doing so.
Is there one task (or more) that makes you really love/hate your job? i love the money. it's a great feeling to see how much my bank account increases each week. the other thing is that i don't need to expend any physical effort to make money. i feel sorry for the low-skilled laborers who work to the extremes using their bodies and hands.
Are you doing what you dreamed of (you lucky bastard)? i wouldn't say its a dream job but it does allow me to make the money to find a very early retirement which is within reach.

Let's talk about how much we love/hate/don't care/don't do the things we do to pay our bills!

Finally, would you slap me if I kissed you?

Silent J
Chocobo

Member 1832

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:18 PM Local time: Dec 25, 2013, 01:18 AM #23 of 24
Do you love/hate your job?

No, I don't love it, but I don't hate it (anymore). I just started at this place, been there a month now. In the beginning I thought what am I doing here. Nobody made me feel welcomed, it was purely doing your job and go home. But now people finally started talking to me. It's alright now.

No.

What is your ideal job?

Still figuring out. I studied something completely different from what my current job is. Actually, I've been doing the same job (different places) for ~5 years now...

I guess. I like to go to the back as there is usually a beautiful girl working there. So I find excuses to go to the back.

No. But I still don't know what I want to do...

FELIPE NO
DecodeMe
Wark!

Member 41791

Level 1.47

Mar 2018

Old Mar 26, 2018, 04:35 AM #24 of 24
Do you love your job? No
Do you hate your job? Not really
Are you ambivalent about your job? Definitely
What is your ideal job? Anything related to gaming
Is there one task (or more) that makes you really love/hate your job? I get paid. I need to do it for my bills
Are you doing what you dreamed of (you lucky bastard)? Nope.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Employment