Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Tournament] 06-07 NHL Discussion Thread

meecrofilm
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 7903

Level 1.47

Jun 2006

Old Feb 20, 2007, 09:14 PM #526 of 778
MAF is tired and the Pens' defense is porous.
Fleury played a terrible game. That was only his 4th game in 9 days if i'm not mistaken? He should be OK. That lost goal was one of the worst I've ever seen. The shot was going WIDE and he tipped it back on goal. Therrien said he was thinking about putting Thibault in for the 3rd. I think he should have. Also, it would be nice If Nasreddine plays. HE does after all lead the Pens D-men in +/-

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
FreeHooker
Cowan the Brabarian.

Member 14954

Level 7.46

Nov 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 01:19 AM Local time: Feb 20, 2007, 10:19 PM #527 of 778
Canucks win! Canucks win!

3-2 win over Anaheim in OT. They played a pretty sore first period, but picked it up after that. The game was really fun to watch for a 7 minute span in the third, which had no whistles during that span. Then the Canucks went into the usual shutdown mode to go for the single point.

Roberto Luongo got the night off. Dany Sabourin played well for his first career NHL win, making 38 saves. I really don't know what to say about this team. 18-3-3 since Christmas, 6th overall in the NHL. With this lack of talent? I'm trying to stay objective, but I'd like to think that Alain Vigneault is the front runner for the Jack Adams...

Him and Michel Therrien are probably side-by-side if the voting took place today...

Speaking of the Penguins, I need NHL center ice package so that I can see more of their games. I fell in love with watching them after seeing them play twice this year on Hockey Night in Canada.

FELIPE NO
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:30 PM #528 of 778
In the more entertaining conference, the Penguins kept pace with the Devils, 7 points behind in the division.

And Ottawa and Buffalo had a pretty weak brawl in the second period. They play the second of a home-and-home in Ottawa Saturday.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Wojo
River Chocobo

Member 59

Level 23.87

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:06 PM #529 of 778
I'm trying to stay objective, but I'd like to think that Alain Vigneault is the front runner for the Jack Adams...

Him and Michel Therrien are probably side-by-side if the voting took place today...
Even though Vigneault is a damn good coach and fixed a lot of mistakes from the previous nucks coach, I think Therrien has the edge over him. Remember the Penguins were absolute dog shit for 4 years in a row and now they are one of the best teams in the East.

Speaking of dog shit, the FSN feeds from the South are exactly that, dog shit. It's like they have no idea what contrast is. I just noticed tonight and other nights how games in Florida are televised with such a dark contrast, I feel like I have glaucoma.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Wojo; Feb 22, 2007 at 11:08 PM.
FreeHooker
Cowan the Brabarian.

Member 14954

Level 7.46

Nov 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:10 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2007, 11:10 PM #530 of 778
Even though Vigneault is a damn good coach and fixed a lot of mistakes from the previous nucks coach, I think Therrien has the edge over him. Remember the Penguins were absolute dog shit for 4 years in a row and now they are one of the best teams in the East.

Speaking of dog shit, the FSN feeds from the South are exactly that, dog shit. It's like they have no idea what contrast is. I just noticed tonight and other nights how games in Florida are televised with such a dark contrast, I feel like I have glaucoma.
True that, man, true that. But I'd like to point out the disgusting lack of talent that this year's version of the Canucks possess.

Pittsburgh is up the butt with young talent. But then again, to mold these young'uns into mature, winning individuals is quite an impressive feat in itself. By all accounts, Crosby's maturity has been on the rise meteorically from last season.

Kudos to both coaches, I'll leave it at that.

(Edit: Another win by the Canucks tonight , but I see the Penguins won too. Something has just dawned on me. We seem to be the surprise teams of each conference, with completely different teams. One is noted for defensive and special teams play, while is the other is headlined by offensive stars. Both in the top 4 in their respective conferences, when both were expected by many to be out of the top 8. Interesting? I think so!)

(Second Edit: I've seen one game on an FSN feed, and I pray that I'll never have to do it again. North of the 49th, we (In particular, us Westerners) have to deal with an Eastern bias. The Toronto Maple Leafs literally play one game every saturday night (For as long as, well, ever), and it is always shown on Hockey Night in Canada. HNIC is more likely to show two Eastern games than our very own home team for the people watching out west. This is the only reason I get to see the odd Penguins and Capitals game. To top it all off, the Canucks might have 5 games shown all year in HD, while the Leafs have something like 34, and counting.)

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by FreeHooker; Feb 23, 2007 at 02:24 AM.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:19 AM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 02:19 AM #531 of 778
Weak brawl? I fail to see that. Well unless you are going by ESPN highlghts or something. Anyway all in all GOTY right there. Without a doubt. Game was phenomenal even without it.

Oh yeah and I like how the Sabres are down 8 starters now.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Grundlefield Earth; Feb 23, 2007 at 02:25 AM.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:41 AM #532 of 778
When I hear the word "brawl," I think of at least 2 rounds of fighting between multiple interested parties. Lindy Ruff overreacted on the hit and the Sens were obviously not interested in fighting all that much. Ray Emery was just goofing off, which would have been REALLY funny if Peters had let him have it.

The game itself was pretty good though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:23 AM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 03:23 AM #533 of 778
How did he overreact? 1. Neil, who is known for dirty shit, went after the captain of the team a second or two after he let go of the puck. It may have been clean, but that has nothing to do with it. If Neil has a problem you go after another enforcer not Drury.

You have to realize that this was overdue as well from last years connolly hit from Neil I believe, and the fact that the sabres just lost 6 guys in 6 straight games.

I need to get Jennerettes call of the brawl, the stupid FSN announcers are on You tube, but it ain't the same at all.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:02 AM #534 of 778
It was ALMOST late, but whatever. Can't argue with a homer.

Most amazing jew boots
Wojo
River Chocobo

Member 59

Level 23.87

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 01:43 PM #535 of 778
Main thing is if Drury is ok after that. I only saw a couple clips from this morning so I didnt see if he went back to playing again. I can say that I laughed pretty hard when I saw Lindy Ruff climb on top of the glass or whatever and fell down.

In other news LOL RONZ YOU GUYS HAVE ANSON CARTER NOW.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197340&hubname=nhl

However 8th rounder isnt a bad deal at all for a rental player.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Wojo; Feb 24, 2007 at 07:59 AM.
Niekon
WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Member 52

Level 19.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:06 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 12:06 PM #536 of 778
trade deadline fast approaching and Anaheim trades some AHL player to Dallas for what? Future considerations? Frustration has got to be coming from other Anaheim fans than myself over their performance in the past couple of months... and Burke is dinking around with these farm team trades when they should be looking at some players that could help to shore up their lack of offense and defense lately. >_<

Most amazing jew boots
Wojo
River Chocobo

Member 59

Level 23.87

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:32 PM #537 of 778
That AHL player sucks so bad too. Shane Endicott. I thank god our GM bought out his contract at the beginning of this season. Hes worthless.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:38 PM #538 of 778
Rumors are flying fast and furious. Boyes from Boston to Pittsburgh, Laraque from Edmonton to Pittsburgh...

Frankly, I'd go on both of them, obviously only if they're upgrades.

Wojo
River Chocobo

Member 59

Level 23.87

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:06 PM #539 of 778
Laraque from PHOENIX to Pittsburgh...
Fixed.

Also I heard the Coyotes might add Boynton in the deal as well. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Last edited by Wojo; Feb 23, 2007 at 03:30 PM.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 03:29 PM #540 of 778
If the Penguins can get away with trading for those three guys without giving up Whitney or Christensen (or anyone else that's better) it'll be a miracle and a steal.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 04:28 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 01:28 PM #541 of 778
In Tampa, I think the lighting in the arena just blows. Players are always saying it's the worst arena to play at in the NHL. I'm not sure if it's the same thing in Florida, but that was terrible watching that game last night. Well, maybe not that terrible, but it was pretty damn annoying.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 05:23 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 05:23 PM #542 of 778
Well, Wojo he had to have 20 stiches in his forehead, and has a minor concussion so it will be like 3-5 games most likely. At least thats what the radio said. Amercks vs Sens saturday will still be a good game though

Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 06:17 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 04:17 PM #543 of 778
Neil's never had a reputation as a dirty hitter. He throws hits and drops the gloves, but he's no Lemieux.

Hitting another team's star player has been the only way to get the team's attention since the stupid instigator rule went in. It's what everyone does.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Little Brenty Brent Brent; Feb 23, 2007 at 06:25 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 06:39 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 05:39 PM #544 of 778
The only thing I have to say about the whole Ottawa/Buffalo debaucle is this:

Ray Emery > Biron
Ray Emery > Peters
Ray Emery > Life itself

I don't even fucking like Ottawa, but that smirk on his face during the whole thing was made of pure goddamn win.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 06:40 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 06:40 PM #545 of 778
everyone huh

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 06:46 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 04:46 PM #546 of 778
If you can name me a star player who wasn't crushed at least once, go for it. Otherwise, yeah. Star players are still hockey players, and they get hit just like everyone else does. Of course a team is gonna try to nail one to take them off their game. That's hockey.

I heard OLN is broadcasting poker afterwards if that's more your style.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 06:49 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 05:49 PM #547 of 778
I'm siding with Brent here. The hit wasn't especially high, Drury isn't an especially soft player, and he was watching his fucking pass. He desrved that shot. Also, Neil doesn't have a rep as a dirty player, he has a rep as a tough player. Seriously, BZ. Climb off your fanwagon and try a little bit of objectivity. It was a good hit.

I heard OLN is broadcasting poker afterwards if that's more your style.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Feb 23, 2007 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Reason of SICK BURN

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 07:12 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 05:12 PM #548 of 778
Also, maybe you missed the part, oh, five minutes after, where your coach put on a bunch of tough guys trying to pick fights with like Spezza.

That's right. Everyone.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 09:34 PM #549 of 778
Also, maybe you missed the part, oh, five minutes after, where your coach put on a bunch of tough guys trying to pick fights with like Spezza.

That's right. Everyone.
Yeah, funny you mention that -- I didn't even think about it. Shouldn't the Sabres been handed 6 instigator penalties, since it was in retaliation and the Senators weren't really interested for the most part (Mair and Emery the obvious exceptions)?

http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule56.html

I guess the rule is a little vague and poorly enforced as it is.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2007, 01:59 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2007, 01:59 AM #550 of 778
Why is that guy responding twice?

Oh and looks like GFF is against most analysts opinions, but whatever too many non-objective nerds here. Also Den, wtf, I already explained the situation to you in gfchat, why are you rambling again in here.

Additional Spam:
Quote:
Following is the text of an official letter that was sent by Buffalo
Sabres owner B. Thomas Golisano to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman today.

----------

Gary B. Bettman, Commissioner,
National Hockey League,
1251 Avenue of the Americas, 47th Floor
New York, NY 10020

February 24, 2007

Dear Gary,

I am deeply concerned with the standard the NHL has adopted that seems
to allow violent hits to the head.

In light of the most recent injury to our captain Chris Drury, I am
calling on you to address this issue immediately before another player
is seriously injured or worse.

In our recent game with the Ottawa Senators, an opposing player skated
half the width of the ice surface, approached Chris Drury from his blind
side, and delivered a blow to his head which dislodged his helmet,
severely lacerating the area around his eye causing a concussion. Chris
Drury did not have the puck, he was not able to see the player coming
from behind, and had relaxed his guard. The player in question was aware
his presence was undetected but chose to deliver a vicious blow, which
can only be construed as intent to injure.

Hitting is a very important part of our game. You hit to break up a
shot, you hit to disrupt a pass, you hit to battle for the puck and you
hit to gain position for a defensive or offensive play. There are many
times a player is vulnerable. And there are many times when a player can
make a hit on a vulnerable player but chooses not to for fear of
injuring an opponent for no practical advantage. It's called respect.

What we cannot allow are hits that are designed to injure and maim. The
hit delivered to Chris Drury the other night was a hit to injure. In my
view there is no other way to view that play.

As you know, we have been on the other end of hits which cause injury to
the head. Tim Connolly, our star offensive player was knocked out of the
Stanley Cup by this same team. Although I didn't like it, Tim's
situation is very different. He had the puck; he was making a play and
could have reasonably seen the approaching player. I never complained.

This situation is very different.

Your office informed our team today that the hit on Chris Drury was a
legal hit and that it fit within the standard of play acceptable to the
NHL. We do not think this should be the standard and we do not think it
helps our game or the league. There is nothing manly about hitting a
player that can't see you. There is nothing entertaining about a big man
hitting a smaller man in the head. There is nothing good to come of a
policy that allows exciting skilled players to be targets for what I
believe to be predatory play.

I strongly urge you to convene the appropriate forum to immediately
review this policy.

Sincerely,

B. Thomas Golisano,

Governor
Please do.

Last edited by Grundlefield Earth; Feb 24, 2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Tournament] 06-07 NHL Discussion Thread