Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Brütal Legend: YOU CAN'T KILL THE METAL. METAL WILL LIVE ON.

Old Oct 19, 2007, 05:50 PM #26 of 106
Paco, you can take my sweet sweet orange picking job any day. <3

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Pyocola
Dried Goby

Member 2248

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:20 AM Local time: Oct 20, 2007, 02:20 PM #27 of 106
Also, if Tenacious D is anything to reference to, I'm pretty sure that the "metal" () music in the trailer is also Jack Black singing.
It's actually Dio, who's also supposed to be in the game (and incidentally was also in the Tenacious D movie.) The song is Black Sabbath's "The Mob Rules".

While the subject matter isn't something that I'm particularly close to, I have no objections against it, and it's Tim Schafer so it's impossible to not care. The game looks good, but at this point I'm wondering if they're going to do the same mistake as in Psychonauts where the actual gameplay was too far behind the designs. Didn't seem to me like it's much more than mashing the axe-swing button and occasionally throwing some magic spells with the guitar.

Also a bit disappointing that it hasn't been announced for the PC, but looking at some other recent games like BioShock, Gears of War, Assassin's Creed and even Guitar Hero III, I think a decent PC port released somewhere down the line is more than possible.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 02:33 AM #28 of 106
Yeah, it's not like it's coming out tomorrow or anything, and I don't remember Psychonauts being available for PC at first either. I'm prepared for the game in any case. It will be mine to own!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Oct 21, 2007, 02:59 AM Local time: Oct 21, 2007, 09:59 AM #29 of 106
Yeah, it's not like it's coming out tomorrow or anything, and I don't remember Psychonauts being available for PC at first either.
It was released simultaneously on Xbox and PC, the PS2 version came a few months later. I can only imagine that not releasing Brütal Legend on PC (at first, at least) has something to do with piracy, considering the low sales numbers of Psychonauts.

The people who say Psychonauts didn't have good gameplay are seriously misguided, unless they're referring solely to the Meat Circus.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Old Oct 21, 2007, 03:18 AM #30 of 106
The Meat Circus was the place that I wanted to kill whoever designed the evil side wall grid climbing area. It was the most odd and infuriatingly difficult bit I've ever done in my life. But oh man you do feel you've accomplished something once you've gotten past it. Everything before it was gravy and controlled fine.

Huh, I always thought the PC version came out later. I didn't really hear much about the PC version. It was always XBOX and PS2 version coming later. Well, I suppose piracy was an issue then. We'll have to wait and see. And honestly any anti-piracy programs on the PC means it will automatically be pirated by me. I don't tolerate root-kits or any of that nonsense on my machine. I'll tolerate STEAM at most and that is all. Which means one of these days I'll get around to downloading Bioshock illegally.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Oct 23, 2007, 02:50 AM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 07:50 AM #31 of 106
Here look at something related and interesting!

Double Fine Projects!

BRUTAL LEGEND and, oh, some Psychonauts thing coming soon too. Huh.

FELIPE NO
Old Oct 23, 2007, 08:24 AM #32 of 106
As I said on Kotaku, that coming soon with Psychonauts in the background might just be a placeholder graphic that they use for all their coming soon stuff. It would be really nice if it was for a Psychonats sequel though. =)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:52 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2007, 11:52 AM #33 of 106
The Meat Circus was the place that I wanted to kill whoever designed the evil side wall grid climbing area. It was the most odd and infuriatingly difficult bit I've ever done in my life. But oh man you do feel you've accomplished something once you've gotten past it. Everything before it was gravy and controlled fine.
The really maddening part is that there was a sick mercy to that part. Every time you fell and landed in the water, it would just start you over back at the bottom rather than dock you a life. So you could just keep doing it over and over and over and over without penalty. Not that unlimited lives meant that doing it 400 times was any less annoying.

I'm inclined to agree, though. The gameplay in Psychonauts was, at best, mediocre. You just shot things and then went on your way, jumping from platform to platform. The only reason the game didn't suck is because the gameplay was de-emphasized in favor of exploring the levels anyway. Bosses were just annoying speedbumps, even though the blueprint tank was a wonder to behold.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2009, 02:16 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2009, 12:16 PM #34 of 106
I know it's a sickly late bump but, I didn't want to start a new thread anyway.

New trailer was released on Eurogamer late last month. It's still about 7-8 months away though.

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:01 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2009, 08:01 AM #35 of 106
Another bump.

OXM posted new info about a month ago regarding new details about the game. Now that EA has picked up the game for publishing, Schafer sat down with OXM and gave a few more details about this game, including that Robert Halford (of Judas Priest fame) will be voicing the General Lionwhyte; leader of the Tainted Coil demon army. This game is looking more metal every time I read new stuff on it.

Worm
:furious proofreading noises:

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:41 AM #36 of 106
The art direction is terrible. They seriously need to decide whether or not they are going for realism or more "cartoony" stylization.
I'm really hoping that the screens released so far are deliberately underwhelming, because most of it looks pretty uninspired. I mean, compare the screenshots to that first piece of concept art Acer posted. If you want to capture those smoky touches of Frank Frazetta in-game, the first step is not to make everything shiny! The characters end up looking like action figures.

However, that trailer does show off some cool designs (the worm thing, the tower) that actually get at the craziness of the album covers Schafer was supposedly inspired by, so I'm hoping the game has plenty more of that up its sleeve.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:01 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2009, 10:01 AM #37 of 106
Gamespot interviewed "the legendary" Tim Schafer at the Double Fine studios last week. Bunch of new artwork, screens and concept renders are also there.

Check it out.

I was speaking idiomatically.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:13 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2009, 03:13 PM #38 of 106
Brutal Legend now has a release date, and in a rather freaky coincidence it'll apparently be hitting store shelves two years to the day since this thread was started, October 13th.

Quote:
Though that one Nazi at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark would have you believe otherwise, having your face melted off by a supernatural display of awesome power is probably one of the best things that could ever happen to you. Since the overwrought, open-world rock epic Brütal Legend promises to scorch our grinning mugs in similar fashion, we're pleased to note that it's scheduled to arrive on October Rocktober 13th in the US (and the 16th in Europe).
[ source ]

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 4, 2009, 04:14 AM Local time: May 4, 2009, 12:14 PM #39 of 106

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2009, 08:57 AM Local time: May 4, 2009, 03:57 PM #40 of 106
dunno im not digging it.. Schafer doing an action game... seems pushed. Oh well i should not doubt Schafer, dude knows what he's doing.

no homo
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 07:34 PM #41 of 106
For those intersted, GameSpot's latest impressions have been detected. Image of the infamous Gen. Lionwhyte included.

White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 03:50 PM #42 of 106
Paco. Did you see this? Brace yourself now.

Activison is suing Double Fine to Stop the release of Brutal Legend

In short of things;

- Vivendi merged with Activision
- Activison dropped Brutal Legend
- Double Fine looked for publisher, according to sources of Variety, Activison tried to block that process
- Double Fine sings up with EA Partners
- Activision sues Double Fine to stop release of Brutal Legend

And the reason? Oh it had garnered plenty of attention at E3 that now Activison wants a piece of that pie. :\

Oh its just not "sequel" worthy enough is why they dropped it? Just disgusting.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2009, 04:34 PM #43 of 106
Ridiculous. They dropped it, so it should be tough titties for them.

I wonder if they'll try to do the same with Atari over Ghostbusters...

Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2009, 01:49 AM Local time: Jun 6, 2009, 01:49 AM #44 of 106
Paco. Did you see this? Brace yourself now.

Activison is suing Double Fine to Stop the release of Brutal Legend

In short of things;

- Vivendi merged with Activision
- Activison dropped Brutal Legend
- Double Fine looked for publisher, according to sources of Variety, Activison tried to block that process
- Double Fine sings up with EA Partners
- Activision sues Double Fine to stop release of Brutal Legend

And the reason? Oh it had garnered plenty of attention at E3 that now Activison wants a piece of that pie. :\

Oh its just not "sequel" worthy enough is why they dropped it? Just disgusting.
What I'm exactly wondering is how Activision even intends to hold up in court without getting laughed at by everyone inside.

If they gave up all legal rights to the game, they can't do anything about it, and as a company they should know better than to try something so frivolous as this. It's a bad move definitely on their part both from a financial and reputation standpoint.

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2009, 07:50 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2009, 02:50 AM #45 of 106
What I'm exactly wondering is how Activision even intends to hold up in court without getting laughed at by everyone inside.

If they gave up all legal rights to the game, they can't do anything about it, and as a company they should know better than to try something so frivolous as this. It's a bad move definitely on their part both from a financial and reputation standpoint.
They might still have the right for the name or the script or some other detail like that. I think this might lead up to how much money EA wants to throw Activisions way...

no homo
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:18 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2009, 06:18 PM #46 of 106
The E3 trailer is awesome, btw. I'm guessing EA had a hand in getting all that legend celebrity endorsement, but it's still rad.

Rocktober can't come soon enough.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:41 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2009, 03:41 PM #47 of 106
Dio's no longer providing voice work for the game. Apparently they decided the next best person is Tim Curry.

I... What.

FELIPE NO
MinionOfCthulhu
Chocobo

Member 725

Level 9.50

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:15 PM 1 #48 of 106
Dio's no longer providing voice work for the game. Apparently they decided the next best person is Tim Curry.

I... What.
I am completely fine with this. Tim Curry is much cooler than Dio.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:22 PM Local time: Jun 15, 2009, 05:22 PM #49 of 106
He's cool, but he's totally not metal. This is all wrong!

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:38 PM Local time: Jun 15, 2009, 10:38 AM #50 of 106
There are few things on this planet less metal than ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Brütal Legend: YOU CAN'T KILL THE METAL. METAL WILL LIVE ON.