Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Mario Party 8

shadowlink56
Wii came, We saw, Wii kicked our ASS!

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2007, 06:01 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2007, 05:01 PM #1 of 14
Mario Party 8

Hmm. I'm surprised there isn't a topic about this one yet.

I thought it was fun. The single player is much different than I remember the series being, but I only played up to MP4.

Multiplayer is the same old hat though, but with new Wii minigames. The game shines in the minigames, so I'm disappointed that I have to play the other modes before I can just fire up the game and play mini-games. If there's anythign the Wii is good for, it's crazy 4 player minigames.

The minigames are very accessible as well. I had my mom, dad, and wife playing the games with ease, and being an experienced gamer didn't see to really give me an advantage either. That's always big with that crew. They never want to play with me because I'm too good (or so they say).

Anyone pick this up or have impressions?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2007, 06:06 PM Local time: Jun 5, 2007, 01:06 AM #2 of 14
A 5.2?

HOW COULD IT BE?

Quote:
Developed by: Hudson Soft
That must be why.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dizzy
The Latin Cockroach

Member 729

Level 16.74

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:18 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2007, 10:18 PM #3 of 14
But Hudson did all the mario party games. I can't believe the game is THAT bad.

Gamespot wasn't very gentle with the score either...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

| XBL: Dizzy4U | PSN: Dizzy4U |
| GFF ¡En Español! | My YouTube |
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:03 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2007, 10:03 PM #4 of 14
The 5.2 is mostly just because the game didn't really do anything new. Of course, there are a few games that take good advantage of the Wii remote, but a lot of the games just had you turn the remote on its side and do the same old d+pad a/b scheme that had nothing to do with the Wii's functionality.

It's a fun game, and it's probably one of the best party games available for the Wii -- it's score just suffers from there already being 7 other Mario Party games that do pretty much the exact same thing Mario Party 8 does.

How ya doing, buddy?
<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 01:46 AM #5 of 14
The mini games make full use of the controller.

The maps are new and interesting.

It is a fun game - period. Same as fun as the rest of them. Probably one of the better ones of the eight as well.

I was speaking idiomatically.
shadowlink56

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:41 PM Local time: Jun 5, 2007, 11:41 AM #6 of 14
Compared to other minigame Wii games (like Rayman), it falls short. It's not fun and funny all the time like Rayamn is. As most Wii party games illicit many loud responses from gamers having fun, mostly we were waiting for the next cool minigame. Guess I'll have to get all those blasted carnival cards (the carnival is as cheap with these cards as a real life carnival would be - 2 hours of play and you get 30 cards. Anything worth buying starts at 50!) and unlock the minigames so we can actually play the game and have fun.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 04:51 PM #7 of 14
I'm borrowing it from a friend right now.

The games are alright. Most people would expect to be waving around the Wii-mote in crazy directions and doing all these crazy tasks, but most of the games require you holding it in the horizontal position and using the Control Pad and the 1 and 2 button.

The boards pretty much follow the same concept the last game fell through. A standard board. One that requires you to reach the top to earn something. A randomly moving board, and a real-estate board. Nothing new from there.

Personally, I like the game, but nothing new and innovative has been released with this version. Out of the eight, it's probably third on my list with MP1 topping it and MP2 coming in second.

How ya doing, buddy?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 08:48 PM #8 of 14
I got it too, and it's pretty fun so far. I can understand how it would lose points for lack of originality with some of the control schemes. I don't know if it was just me, but sometimes the motion sensing controls wren't as responsive as in other games, such as in the minigame where you have to turn the hands of the clock (unless I'm doing it wrong).

It might also be me, but I get the feeling they cut out all the fluff in the menus and went straight for telling you what mode is what. It even gets straight down to business by taking you right to the press <the equivalent of> start screen.

I will test how fun this is in a month in a multiplayer birthday setting. So far it's just fine and dandy.

Also, I hope that the new roulette of minigame choice won't make unobtained games harder to get. Looks like a LOT of choices when they present it that way instead of the usual four options.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 03:20 AM Local time: Jun 6, 2007, 12:20 AM #9 of 14
I don't know if it was just me, but sometimes the motion sensing controls wren't as responsive as in other games, such as in the minigame where you have to turn the hands of the clock (unless I'm doing it wrong).
I noticed that too. In the stamping game, sometimes it'll stutter and not quite reach the paper, costing you valuable seconds trying to stamp again. One game had you turning the remote to rotate your plane so that you could fit through gaps. I couldn't get it to turn at all. The mine cart game had the same problem. No matter how much I pumped, I couldn't move an inch.

Quote:
Also, I hope that the new roulette of minigame choice won't make unobtained games harder to get. Looks like a LOT of choices when they present it that way instead of the usual four options.
It seemed to me like it would go straight for the games I hadn't played yet until I got all of them.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
shadowlink56

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 03:27 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2007, 02:27 PM #10 of 14
I don't know if it was just me, but sometimes the motion sensing controls wren't as responsive as in other games, such as in the minigame where you have to turn the hands of the clock (unless I'm doing it wrong).

It might also be me, but I get the feeling they cut out all the fluff in the menus and went straight for telling you what mode is what. It even gets straight down to business by taking you right to the press <the equivalent of> start screen.
I didn't have any issues with the clock hands minigame, but I noticed that others did when we played multiplayer.

In regards to the menus, they did change them, but there is still plenty of confusing overhead to get through when playing a game. "All minigames" option confused us, as well as which tent was what mode. It's not readily apparent which version is the single player mode from the menu. They could have added some tiny text next to that mode saying "1P", or "1P-4P". Actually, the text in the game is sometimes obnoxious to read as well, and MC Ballyhoo (isn't this character model very similar to Chuck Quizmo?) is also obnoxious.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:29 PM #11 of 14
Ugh....come the fuck on!

Did the developers wish to torture you in the last stage? I mean so the 6th stage is Bowser's Warped Orbit and while not a new idea, unlucky people like me could spend hours on this board due to the mechanics. I just attempted it for the 3rd time with the computer's insane dice roll rigging working against me.

You each start with 3 stars, so you'll need 3 bullet candies, or a Bowser candy plus another candy as the minimum requirement to possibly win. That means you have to pass each other a minimum of 2 times. You'll need money if you're not lucky with the candy spaces. The store isn't guaranteed to have either candy in stock (3 times passing by, and nothing yet!?) Even if you had a full stock of candy the board direction reverses when you land on the green spaces, or after you steal stars. Your dice rolls may not even be enough with Bowser candy to pass by the opponent. Furthermore, you need to complete the mode twice to get the other secret character. In addition, you can totally miss the opponent when using a candy since the road forks take you left or right arbitrarily.

Goodness this isn't fun it's agonizing!

EDIT: In addition, the comp has been getting rolls above 7 for the last half hour and landing on reverse spaces every 5 turns. My rolls have been less than 5 approximately 80% of the time. GAH!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Summonmaster; Jun 6, 2007 at 10:33 PM.
Guru

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:24 AM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 12:24 AM #12 of 14
Hmm, I beat Warped Orbit on the first attempt, and I don't think I circled the map more than twice in doing so. It's all about buying the right candyyyyy.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:51 AM Local time: Jun 6, 2007, 09:51 PM #13 of 14
I also beat it on the first try. The level that gave me the most trouble was that godforsaken King Boo Mansion level. Stupid CPU would always roll 8-10 while I kept getting 2's and 3's. Wasn't there some sort of trick in the previous games to help you get high numbers or do you just hope for the best?

Thanks for telling how to get Blooper though. I was wondering what you had to do, since you couldn't buy him with Carnival Cards. I guess it should've been obvious though. =/

I was speaking idiomatically.
Guru

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 01:07 AM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 01:07 AM #14 of 14
I got Blooper on my first go, and the turtle on the second. So I guess it's random which one they choose. Might stink if you have to fight the same character many times before you get the other, unless there are checks in place to prevent this.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Mario Party 8