Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] The Dark Knight (Batman Begins Sequel)

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 05:13 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 03:13 PM #1 of 397
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Hoffman is probably a better actor, but if they're reworking the Penguins role into a British gangster type villain, I'd much rather see Hoskins in the role. Has anyone here seen The Long Good Friday or a few episodes of Thick as Thieves? He would be ideal for the role.
Actually I was thinking of his role in Unleashed. It was a great performance and looking from that angle a gangster/mobster Penguin could be very effective in his hands, especially since we known from at least that role he can do the british accent (Needs improvement though).

I also wonder if they're going to play up
the penguin theme or if its going to be more of just a 'nickname', like
how Tony Montana was known as 'Scarface' to pick a well known example.

Quote:
It's obvious Hoskins could play the role. All Capote shows is that Hoffman is excellent at being annoyingly effeminate. It needs an actor that fits the part, not an actor who is technically proficient.
What was his role in Capote? I didn't see the movie nor care to anytime soon, but a brief description would be nice (And yes I know the basics of what the movie is supposed to be about, but it just does not interest me).

Moving on...In regards to the announcement of Heath Ledger as Joker, it felt like an unusual and 'left-field' choice for me. I don't see any real reason why he couldn't play the part, but I also don't see a reason why he Could either. Its like giving Jude Law the part of Tony Stark/Iron Man: there are reasons why he Could be Iron Man and reasons why he can't, and for both roles (Heath's and his) the obvious choices are not either actor.

Let me tell you something, I was _floored_ the day I leared that Mark Hamil voiced the joker in the Batman: TAS (Which was, sadly, around the time that the Batman Beyond Movie was coming out -_-) ...so seeing him AS the joker would be a great touch as others have said.
I'm thinking, Perhaps they could have him voice the Joker in one line or something when the joker gets pissed off or something. I don't know, except that Hamil's joker voice is Perfect.

I also wonder if they'd have a Cameo of Harley Quin, like as a Psychiatrist as Arkham (Remember before she joined Poison Ivy and Joker she WAS going to be a Psychiatrist/Therapist), that would be kinda cool.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Dark Nation; Aug 2, 2006 at 05:19 PM.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:00 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 09:00 AM #2 of 397
The first one looks like an Elseworld joker, meaning a Street Punk version, while the second looks TOO photoshopped (I mean they both are to a degree, but at least the first pic hides it decently).

I do like the Yellow Shirt, Black jakcet and green tie, nice touch on that part.

Originally Posted by batgnome
Well let's hope he can do a British accent seeing how he is British :P. Honestly, I think Hoskins is an ideal choice for Penguin. Not to say Hoffman would be bad, but as previously stated, Hoskins has the right looks and presence to pull it off.
Well see I thought he was American, but I suppose that makes it easier. I can see it now:

"Oswald Cobblepot, more well known in mobster circle as 'The Penguin' has a (single) Pet Pengiun that he often uses as a method of torture. Featuring an Umbrella on his business card as his personal logo, he is followed by a trail of beautiful women who make sure he is always at ease. His rival and sometimes Business Partner Carmine Falcone has recently disappered and Cobblepot has enlisted the help of 'Batman' to find it. When Batman refuses, Cobblepot threatens to let loose a homicidal maniac known only as 'The Man who Laughs: The Joker', into Gotham.

Batman resigns to feign an attempt at searching for the mobster, but as we soon find out, Jack Napier, better known as the Joker, the Man who Laughs, has already taken care of Falcone in his own twisted way."

Its just my own take on the possible story-line, but hey who knows?

Most amazing jew boots
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2006, 04:29 PM Local time: Aug 8, 2006, 02:29 PM #3 of 397
Originally Posted by MetheGelfling
In the comics, the Joker's real name has never been revealed. Jack Napier was a creation of the 89' Burton movie.
I could have sworn they used his name as such in one of the origin comics, but whatever. If someone could confirm/deny this that would help out... I'm think though, that 'Jack Napier' may have even been just an alias anyway (For Nickolson's role in the 89 version).

How ya doing, buddy?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:27 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2008, 08:27 PM #4 of 397
So, saw the movie earlier today.

My thoughts:

Spoiler:
- The plot because just a little too stretched in the third act, I'd have to watch it a second time to keep closer track of everything, just got a bit hard to keep track of everything. Partially due to the sudden "ZOOM IN" cuts from the Camera at times.

- Heath's acting as the joker completely pulled me in and I forgot that it was an actor under there. The sheer dismay for life or empathy towards others suffering, I felt, was carried across over nicely. I forgot there was an actor and only saw the persona of this madman in other words.

- Gotham looked a bit too much like Chicago, where were the gritty shots that we saw in Batman Begins? A little too clean for what I'm used to seeing Gotham (In other media mostly) depicted as.

- Why would any bank robber be scared of a guy just because he wears face paint and paints his hair green? That intro bank job dialog made me a little.

- A plot point: When the Joker leaves the Bank in the School Bus, there is CLEAR and VISIBLE debris from the hole in the bank on the back of the bus, yet the line of school buses he gets into don't seem to notice anything wrong (Or maybe the sound of kids yelling was supposed to mean they do?). Either way, the cops should have noticed something was odd about the Bus rolling away.

- The default emotion of Rachel in this movie seemed to be "Disappointed", which I admit, is how she was in the exit of the first movie, and I can't figure out if that's due to Maggie's somewhat stiff acting, or the character's portrayal as it was written down to be as. Katie Holme's disappointing performance might have influence this perspective a bit, because I did take notice when she gave the Joker a nice present in the crotch. Namely her shin.

- Getting back to Ledger. The "agent of chaos" thing towards the end seemed... almost out of character? Its like he wasn't saying it for the benefit of Dent or any other on-screen character but rather for the movie-goers, as if Nolan feared the idea of an Anarchic clown might be CONFUSING, so I MUST EXPLAIN TO THE AUDIENCE. Then again, Joker being the kind of anarchic character he is, might just explain himself as the setup to a joke, but I think I'm reading too much into things at this point.

- Speaking of jokes (slightly), I enjoyed the multiple stories of how he got his glasglow smile. That harkens back to the idea of the joker not knowing/caring or remembering how he was before he was insane.

- Continuing on the idea of preaching to the audience. Did the Joker really need to spell it out like he did to Batman? "You... COMPLETE ME!" "NO RLY?"

- Batman's 'gruff' voice was at times, almost like he was going to cough up an artery. We get it, you're supposed to be intimidating, not sickly and scratching throat like.

- Where the fuck did Scarecrow come from? I thought he went insane at the end of the first movie and was locked up in the Insane Asylum, and then suddenly he appears as a common drug dealer. Yes, his operation in the first film was the distribution of a drug, but it was part of a plan. Not just "WHERE'S MY MONEY, HONEY".

- Oh and speaking of plans, I really liked the go-between from Dent and Joker, the whole bit about "Making plans".

- However, it did feel a bit... weird how Harvey suddenly switched to the persona of Two-Face, especially since he let a KNOWN DANGEROUS crimminal like the Joker get away from the flip of a coin-toss at that early point of his being "Two Face". I think a few more scenes of introspective thought would help the transition better. I can understand the motivation of Two-Face taking down both Criminal and Corrupt cop, but it almost requires Harvey to forget all the work he has done as the DA, which might explain why he let the Joker, his (Previously?) main goal in elimination.

- The final conversation between Batman and Joker was intense and despite the somewhat corny "I am an Agent of Chaos!", it still was a well-done exposition by the Joker. Too bad Batman left him hanging *BADUMTSHHH*

I'm probably being harder on the film here then I would in normal conversation, but I DID enjoy the film. Aaron Eckhart's portrayal as Harvey was great, Heath as the joker was riveting, and the other smaller roles were put through with no complaints.

So yeah, I'd probably get this on DVD when it comes out.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Dark Nation; Jul 26, 2008 at 10:29 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] The Dark Knight (Batman Begins Sequel)