Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

"Wait, the game is already over?"

kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 04:44 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 02:44 PM #51 of 67
I don't understand this either, I'm kind of sick of these 80+ hour games that require me to commit a lifetime to complete. The best game is when it's short enough for people to play through relatively unscathed (30ish hours is plenty) but has enough extras to keep you busy for hours past, if you so want to partake.

I hate being forced to go back to every village I've visited 5 times just so they can bloat the game to 10 times the length. Quality over quantity, the longer the game does not automatically mean it is any better.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 05:08 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 03:08 PM #52 of 67
I find it funny how close to the end I am with Xenosaga Episode 2 with about 20 hours of gameplay. Not that I'm complaining. The sooner it ends the better. I can't stand the crappy battle system Namco gave the game anyway, and I'm only finishing this game so I can be ready for Episode 3.

ENTER BATTLE
STOCK
STOCK
ENENY ATTACK
ENEMY ATTACK
ENEMY ATTACK
STOCK
STOCK
STOCK
MULTIPLE ENEMY ATTACKS AGAIN
STOCK A FEW MORE TIMES
KILL ONE ENEMY
REPEAT UNTIL THE OTHER 3 ENEMIES ARE DEAD

>.<

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Burniator
Banned

Member 7974

Level 7.02

Jun 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 05:23 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 04:23 PM #53 of 67
Kingdom Hearts II. I was on the hardest diffuculty and found myself on The End of the World, the last level, by a day.

I was speaking idiomatically.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 06:16 PM #54 of 67
Originally Posted by The Burniator
Kingdom Hearts II. I was on the hardest diffuculty and found myself on The End of the World, the last level, by a day.
You my friend have some skills. I'm gonna have to also go with Metal Gear Solid 2...after the final fight was over, I was expecting more like, oh I don't know...going back to playing as Snake. Instead, I get an ending that left me hanging for MGS3 (and we all know what happened there, not what I expected but a much better game than MGS2). I don't wanna pass the freakin torch, I don't want to play as the blonde haired kid anymore...just give me Snake for another 10 hours to even everything out.

Now I've also heard complaints about Halo 2 ending sooner than expected. I'll have to get around to playing that when I have some time on my hands.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
watkinzez
Chocobo

Member 1040

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 08:37 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 12:37 AM #55 of 67
Originally Posted by RABicle
Soemtimes if I have 50 minutes spare I might play through Lylat Wars / Star Fox 64. The game is ridiculously short so long as you avoid the Aquas mission.
Avoid it? I could never get to it (granted, I only ever hired it, when I sucked at games).

FELIPE NO
J-Man
Taller than a tree

Member 102

Level 23.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:40 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 08:40 AM #56 of 67
I could damn near p00n the hell out of Mega Man X6 in under an hour. Most of the enemies didnt even need to be killed, just dashed past. With Zero, the enemies weaknesses could be abused massively becuase the attacks could be used in rapid succession. Maybe it was too fast becuase I played it ALL the time.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:16 PM #57 of 67
Originally Posted by kat
I don't understand this either, I'm kind of sick of these 80+ hour games that require me to commit a lifetime to complete. The best game is when it's short enough for people to play through relatively unscathed (30ish hours is plenty) but has enough extras to keep you busy for hours past, if you so want to partake.

I hate being forced to go back to every village I've visited 5 times just so they can bloat the game to 10 times the length. Quality over quantity, the longer the game does not automatically mean it is any better.
I agree with kat. I played Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter and had a blast. It was just under 20 hours. As I've gotten older I have a new preference for shorter games.

Most amazing jew boots
Oni Koroshi
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 9285

Level 1.60

Jul 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:29 PM #58 of 67
Metal Slug 2 for PS2 was way too short... probably because no matter how many times you reach "game over" you can keep going, the only consequence is that you start with zero points.

For Arcade, that's a different story.. you gotta be good if you want to play through on minimal quarters.

I'm playing Children of Mana in Japanese now... if it turns out the way I have a feeling it's going to, it might be too short, but maybe there's a lot to it that I just haven't gotten to yet... I'm hoping that's the case.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:31 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 05:31 PM #59 of 67
Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando This is only because of the lame ass final boss. If they had a better final boss I would've been "awsome game" instead of "Wait, that [pussy] was the final boss"? It's still the best R&C game in the series.

Honorable mention goes out to Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver so such an anti-climatic ending, forcing you to play the sequel to find out more that happens and providing no reason to finish the first game and consider it a story (since it has no end, it's not a story with a 'true' plot).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
lazuli
cerulean skies

Member 2667

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:58 PM #60 of 67
Originally Posted by Elixir
Also, Final Fantasy 6.

Spoiler:
The world crashes, then you find your friends and kill Kefka. Wow, predictable. It's like the team lost all incentive to properly continue the game on a certain point. Which is a shame, because it's a really good game. Up until that part.
Spoiler:
Quoted for truth. I realized, having owned FFIII since it came out in the US -- I've started a new game probably 10 times, but I've beat it only once, probably the first time through. Guess where I always end up quitting? The WoR. The problem is that there isn't any plot structure whatsoever, because Kefka is holed up in the tower waiting for you as soon as you get there, and thus you already know your final destination. There isn't any more conflict in the 2nd "half" of the game to drive the story -- there is no more overall story, just character quests. Granted there is a good bit of character development, but there's nowhere for that development to "pay off," except for the final battle. It's pretty sad really.

I'm hoping they will add more stuff to the WoR for the GBA release, although that won't really fix the problem unless they expand the original storyboard (very unlikely). Ultimately the creators made a mistake in having the WoR appear to be a second "half" when in reality it feels more like a poorly conceived epilogue. The player has reason to expect the WoR to be the same type of game as the WoB, but you don't get anything of the sort. It doesn't feel like the same game. WoB = 9/10. WoR = 4/10.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:46 AM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 01:46 PM #61 of 67
Originally Posted by watkinzez
Avoid it? I could never get to it (granted, I only ever hired it, when I sucked at games).
Not missing anything. The mission is a bitch to control, the boss a mystery to kill and it's slow slow slow.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 01:05 AM #62 of 67
I thought Aquas was the only way to get to Zoness, which is awesome.

And 50 minutes isn't even that short. Check my Ava/Sig out.

But anyway back on topic... um... Psychonauts is prolly the only game that fits the description here. Someone already mentioned it. I seriously thought that the Asylum was only the halfway point in the game, although I knew when I hit the meat circus, the game was pretty much over.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 04:00 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2006, 03:00 PM #63 of 67
The last games I remember being too short are Gameboy games, via Ducktales, Adventure Island, and Super Mario Land 1. I enjoyed GB games, but you could run through some of them really quickly. On the other hand, Super Mario Land 2 was much longer by comparison to the first, Gargoyle's Quest was fairly long, etc.

FELIPE NO
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 09:08 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2006, 12:38 PM #64 of 67
Metal Gear Solid was far too short, between the FMV there was about 2 minutes of total gameplay. It's just like watching a movie except having to push a few buttons every now and again.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:55 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2006, 09:55 PM #65 of 67
A few comes to mind, but these ones are what I can easily recall.
- Fatal Frame 2
- Resident Evil 3
- Resident Evil Remake (GC)
- FFVI (not including side-quests)
- ZOE2 (!! too fucking short)

That's all that I can think of.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > "Wait, the game is already over?"