Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

tenseiken's BPFTP Server Tutorial

Ryunam
As bright as a pumpkin

Member 158

Level 11.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:04 AM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 04:04 PM #26 of 39
I use a USR9108 wireless router, DSL line.

What I don't understand is why it won't allow me to enter through another port. I have forwarded port 2121 (since 21 seems to be assigned to a never-before-seen firmware utility), yet the client reacts as though no server exists on that IP and port.

This is driving me insane, as I'd love to put up a server of mine and this is hindering my progress in quite an inexplicable way.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
tenseiken
Syklis Green

Member 532

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:13 AM #27 of 39
Originally Posted by Ryunam
I use a USR9108 wireless router, DSL line.

What I don't understand is why it won't allow me to enter through another port. I have forwarded port 2121 (since 21 seems to be assigned to a never-before-seen firmware utility), yet the client reacts as though no server exists on that IP and port.

This is driving me insane, as I'd love to put up a server of mine and this is hindering my progress in quite an inexplicable way.
If your DSL modem is acting like a router, it would likely block non-requested traffic on port 2121. I still think you need to change some options on your modem. Try calling your ISP. I believe what I had to do to my modem was set it for 'bridge mode'. Your modem may have a similar setting.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Ryunam
As bright as a pumpkin

Member 158

Level 11.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 05:04 AM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 11:04 AM #28 of 39
I think I solved the problem. It was indeed an option within my router, though it related to the fact my router provided an undesired FTP access to update its firewall.

Nevermind, it should work fancy and fine now. I'll post my experimental server as soon as it's ready.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
hawkomega
~Hawk~

Member 10512

Level 2.25

Aug 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 03:17 AM #29 of 39
Hello Tenseiken, I'm using SmartFTP to try connect to my Bulletproof FTP server and it keeps on prompt the below message:

"A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond."

I've tried it on Internet Explorer also and permission error comes out. I've already open the router port for my FTP server. I've also tried login using passive mdoe & active mode too.

Please help. Thank you.

I was speaking idiomatically.
~Fly Away From Here~
tenseiken
Syklis Green

Member 532

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:08 AM #30 of 39
Well, try and narrow down where the problem is. Can you connect via your machine's LAN IP address? Usually goes something like 192.168.XXX.XXX. If you can connect that way, then something is going on beyond the scope of your LAN. Could be your modem, ISP, or whatever redirection service you may be using.

You could try running on some non-standard port, if you aren't already. Some ISPs block port 21.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
DSan
Banned

Member 2018

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:55 AM #31 of 39
BPFTP does not work on a Mac

Are there any good alternatives for the Mac?

FELIPE NO
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 02:40 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2006, 11:40 AM #32 of 39
OS X actually comes FTP server that you can set up, lukemftp/tnftp, but I recommend using PureFTPd for a few reasons: ease of use, security, and a free, snazzy, OS X GUI frontend, PureFTPd Manager.

I had some problems setting up the users the second time I installed the stuff on my computer, though. Despite the permissions and accounts I set up, every FTP user had the same permissions I did. I didn't have enough time to figure that out before I took it into the shop for a hard drive replacement, though.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
tenseiken
Syklis Green

Member 532

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:20 AM #33 of 39
First post has been updated to get images from photobucket. Tired of running a webserver.

Most amazing jew boots
Nucommers
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 18602

Level 1.00

Jan 2007

Old Jan 22, 2007, 03:42 AM Local time: Jan 21, 2007, 08:42 PM #34 of 39
Post Is it a bug on forum?

Hey guys, is it me or this forum got bugs?
I tried to login 3 times and it gave me this error: Unable to connect MYSQL
what's going on? anyone?

Most amazing jew boots
Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Feb 13, 2007, 02:02 PM Local time: Feb 13, 2007, 01:02 PM #35 of 39
Major props for this guide, mate. I had to get a bunch of help from someone else regarding port forwarding and IPs, but the rest seems good. May I suggest adding something in, though?

"Make sure you check your DynDns account often (once a week), because if your IP address changes and you're not there to update it, your account will be shut down".

The person I got help from told me this, although I don't know why DynDns would do that. =/ Could someone explain?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Feb 13, 2007, 03:02 PM Local time: Feb 13, 2007, 10:02 AM #36 of 39
Major props for this guide, mate. I had to get a bunch of help from someone else regarding port forwarding and IPs, but the rest seems good. May I suggest adding something in, though?

"Make sure you check your DynDns account often (once a week), because if your IP address changes and you're not there to update it, your account will be shut down".

The person I got help from told me this, although I don't know why DynDns would do that. =/ Could someone explain?
Because it's a free service. And I didn't say once a week! More like 2 to 3 weeks. If you're that forgetful it wouldn't hurt to look at it once a week but do not update your ip every week!

Here, found this explaination in their faq:
Quote:
How often can/should I update my hostname?

A Dynamic DNS hostname only needs to be updated when your IP address has changed. Any updates more frequently than this - from the same IP address - will be considered abusive by the update system and may result in your hostname becoming blocked. Any script which runs periodically should check to make sure that the IP has actually changed before making an update, or the host will become blocked. An exception to this is for users with mostly static IP addresses; you may update 24-35 days after your previous update with the same IP address to "touch" the record and prevent it from expiring. Users will receive an e-mail notification if a host has been unchanged for 30 days, hosts are deleted after 35 days without being updated unless you've purchased upgrade credit(s).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
tenseiken
Syklis Green

Member 532

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Feb 13, 2007, 04:38 PM #37 of 39
Whitney:

There are tools out there that allow you to send your IP address to DynDNS automatically on given intervals without abusing the system. I'm using a command-line tool (ddclient) with cron on linux now, for example. If you go to their website, they link to various software applications for windows that will do this for you as well.

As for your request to add that tidbit in, I think it should go without saying that you should always read the terms of service whenever you sign up for anything nowadays, since we've yet to kill off all the lawyers.

I'd like to try and keep the guide strictly to the technical aspects of configuring and maintaining a BPFTP-based server. Since a rudimentary knowledge of IP addressing is helpful in that regard, if there's something you think I should add about that, let me know. As for NAT (port forwarding in particular), it's best to consult your router's manual (or portforward.com) for that, since it will be at least somewhat specific to your hardware, and my resources are limited.

I'll admit I do take for granted a knowledge of things like these.

I was speaking idiomatically.
lkaerus
Frog

Member 4214

Level 6.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 1, 2007, 05:50 PM Local time: Nov 1, 2007, 05:50 PM #38 of 39
Guide was very helpful, thank you. But I am unable to connect to the server and can't figure out what's going on.

The message it keeps giving me is "An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine."

Any ideas?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Seifer Almasy
Wark!

Member 706

Level 1.73

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2007, 03:27 PM Local time: Nov 11, 2007, 08:27 PM #39 of 39
Hello,

First of all, thanks for the guide Tenseiken

I am having a slight problem here which I really don't know how to fix. Basically, I am using Static IP DSL connection, and have set it up in BPFTP. Since I got similiar error with port 21 (can't aunthenticate - which I assume because my router actually uses that port, so I was connecting to it in facts), I changed my port to 32657, and it is currently fully open.

Now I can connect to my FTP server using ftp://localhost:32657 or my internal IP address, but cannot connect to the server using my real static IP address at all. It seems that the connection cannot get past the router, and was stuck there.

I'm currently using a SpeedTouch 585, and all the settings are similiar to what Tenseiken has, and have checked that all ports were forwarded properly. The firewall function in my router was turned off as well.

Any idea what could go wrong here? Thanks a lot

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > tenseiken's BPFTP Server Tutorial