Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Games and Dual Booting.

Jujubee
Good Chocobo

Member 416

Level 16.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:04 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 08:04 AM #1 of 3
Games and Dual Booting.

I'm dual booting Windows Vista Ultimate with Windows XP Professional. Windows XP plays games much better than Vista so whenever I want the most performance all I need to do is reboot. Some games can be transfered from one OS to another without needing to be reinstalled. For example I've had the same installation of WoW on my PC through Windows XP > 2000 > XP > Vista > XP and it ran with no issues at all. Other games are annoying and need to be reinstalled because they cant play if the OS is missing their registry keys. Thats no big problem for normal games as long as you can back up your saved data. However, MMORPGs are a pain in the ass. I can't play FFXI under XP and I REALLY don't want to reinstall that behemoth and spend 8 hours downloading updates.

Bottom line, my question is does anyone know of a way to copy registry keys from one OS to another for PC games? Or in other words, a faster way around reinstalling gigantic games that need to be updated.

Most amazing jew boots
Adamgian
Political Palace Denizen

Member 1443

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 04:26 PM #2 of 3
No, it probably won't work because registry keys are scattered all over the place. Adding to that is the fact that, I believe XP and Vista handle the registry quite differently. Why doesn't FFXI work on XP though - I've run it in the past on XP...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jujubee
Good Chocobo

Member 416

Level 16.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2007, 04:53 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2007, 03:53 AM #3 of 3
FFXI didn't work on XP because I installed it under Vista. Thus I would have had to reinstall the game and download all the updates again for it to work on XP. Totally not worth it.

*mini-rant*
Unfortunately, I canceled my FFXI trial account so it wouldn't bill me at the end of the month. But I didn't know they won't let you continue playing afterwards like normal accounts, so the game was canceled that same day. [GG Square /FFXI Uninstall] Back to good ol' trustworthy WoW.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Games and Dual Booting.