Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Tournament] 2008 Olympic Games discussion thread

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:56 PM #101 of 146
I wouldn't say the Olympics have been epic (hell, the majority of the track and field events haven't been performed), but Phelps' performance will go down in (at the very least, American) history as the greatest athletic performance ever.

I was speaking idiomatically.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:50 AM Local time: Aug 15, 2008, 11:50 PM #102 of 146
I wouldn't say the Olympics have been epic (hell, the majority of the track and field events haven't been performed), but Phelps' performance will go down in (at the very least, American) history as the greatest athletic performance ever.
You're... joking, right?

He's a fucking swimmer. Dominant, sure, but in swimming.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 01:07 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 04:07 PM #103 of 146
WATCH OUT DENI, PHELPS HAS RAGE!

Spoiler:

Purpose of this post: to remain strictly on-topic.

FELIPE NO
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 01:30 AM #104 of 146

FUCKING YEAH Best thread rename of the year.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

#654: Braixen
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 01:53 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 12:53 AM 5 #105 of 146

I win, Tails.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 01:59 AM #106 of 146
You are mistaken sir, Phelps is the real winner here.

PHELPS DISCUSSION ONLY.

I lol'd though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 02:36 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 02:36 AM #107 of 146
Anyone watching this 20K walk right now. I had no idea this was real. I remember seeing Hal on Malcolm in the Middle doing it hilariously, and thought it was a joke. It is pretty funny, but props to those Olympic guys. I wonder what the rules of walking are while watching it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 03:02 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 12:02 AM #108 of 146
Participants must have at least one foot on the ground at all times.

That's pretty much it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 05:56 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 03:56 AM #109 of 146
Dunno why people like knocking on Phelps. Swimming is a sport where it's "easy" to rack up a lot of medals compared to other sports, true. It also lacks the drama of team sports or more glamorous activities (gymnastics, T&F, etc), but anyone has to admit that watching Phelps being able to dominate the field is an incredible feat. Heck, just being able to maintain his schedule is intense.

It'd be much easier to hate on Phelps if he were a dick, but he's not even that. Very good-natured guy.

I will say this, though: Somewhere out there, there's an orthodontist who would really love to work on Phelps.

Participants must have at least one foot on the ground at all times.

That's pretty much it.
There's also something about the supporting leg having to be straight the entire time it's on the ground, hence the mad hip swaying. Or something.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 08:19 AM #110 of 146
I was 20 km walk (is that what it is?), holy shit that was intense. It would SUCK to be disqualified middle of the game.

Anyways, Phelps on his 7th medal... fuck, only 1 more.

seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 09:13 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 04:13 PM #111 of 146
Phelps' performance will go down in (at the very least, American) history as the greatest athletic performance ever.
Seriously, try to look beyond the hype here. Phelps has been, in every way, the best overall swimmer in the world for years. That he would win five individual golds here was expected. I think what he did in Athens was far more impressive (four individual golds and one bronze).

And the opening ceremony is just getting more and more embarrassing for every day that passes:

Originally Posted by Ethnic children at opening ceremony 'were fake'
Children from China's dominant Han population were used in a key part of the Olympics opening ceremony, not youngsters from all 56 ethnic groups as claimed, an official has said.

The 56 children who carried out the Chinese flag in a moment meant to showcase national harmony were all from the Han majority, an official with the dance troupe that they belonged to told the Asian Wall Street Journal.

The troupe is made up exclusively of children from the Han ethnic group, which accounts for more than 90 percent of China's more than 1.3 billion people, according to the paper.

Official Chinese television shows and other performances often feature the Han Chinese representing minority groups.

However Olympic organisers said directly that the children were from all 56 official ethnic groups.

"Fifty-six children from 56 Chinese ethnic groups cluster around the Chinese national flag, representing the 56 ethnic groups," read the media guide for the opening ceremony distributed on the night.
Ethnic children at opening ceremony 'were fake'

It also seems like the piano performance by Lang Lang might have been prerecorded: Epoch Times - Fake Piano Played at Opening Ceremony?

FELIPE NO
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 09:32 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 10:32 PM #112 of 146
Heh, this bit of information is more inconsequential than the aforementioned voice dubbing, wouldn't you say?

On that note, I wonder how long will it take for the unpatriotic leaks intent on de-glorifying the opening ceremony to ... uh ... receive a re-education through hard work...

Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 09:58 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 03:58 PM #113 of 146
Bolt might as well have moonwalked the 100m Final. That was just insane celebrating with about 15m left and jogging through the line, the 100m semi final was unbelievable he literally walked it. He could of done a flat 9.6 if he even bothered or dare I say a 9.5.

I forsee a 9.5 in the future however.

Johnson's 200m record is gone only question remains is by how much.

As good as Phelps has been that truly was the performance of the games. He squashed Powell and Gay.

Last edited by El Ray Fernando; Aug 16, 2008 at 10:03 AM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:01 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 11:01 PM #114 of 146
In other news, a massive scandal has erupted after it was revealed that China planted "supporters" in stadiums to conceal empty seats and create a psychological advantage for their athletes

There's nowhere I can't reach.
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:12 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 05:12 PM #115 of 146
Johnson's 200m record is gone only question remains is by how much.

As good as Phelps has been that truly was the performance of the games. He squashed Powell and Gay.
About 19.32, I'm not as sure as you, but for sure we've never seen as good a 200 m runner as Bolt since Johnson, and I'm sure he has the potential to beat it.

And I'd say that Powell "squashed" himself, as usual when it comes to a big race. Not sure what happened to Gay? I was surprised not to see him in the finals.

Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:56 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2008, 01:56 AM #116 of 146
In other news, a massive scandal has erupted after it was revealed that China planted "supporters" in stadiums to conceal empty seats and create a psychological advantage for their athletes

MEMO: GLOBAL NEWSAGENCIES, PRESS

THEY'RE CALLED THE 'REDEEM TEAM' THIS OLYMPICS OKAY. BECUASE THEY'RE GOING TO WIN.

RIGHT? RIGHT.

LlooooydGEEEOOORGE

Last edited by Cal; Aug 16, 2008 at 10:59 AM.
Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:31 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 09:31 AM #117 of 146
Why the fuck can't they record events and leave them online for people to watch?

They fucking expect everybody to just catch everything at any given moment. I can't go back and watch anything I missed, and none of the stations have full event replays, and only offer highlight reels from select events.

This is the 21st century. Get with the fucking times, people.

Most amazing jew boots
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:36 AM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 05:36 PM #118 of 146
Why the fuck can't they record events and leave them online for people to watch?

They fucking expect everybody to just catch everything at any given moment. I can't go back and watch anything I missed, and none of the stations have full event replays, and only offer highlight reels from select events.

If you know how to use proxies (Firefox has a great plugin) find one in the Uk and goto BBC - Homepage, it has video clips and highlights of everything.

Last edited by El Ray Fernando; Aug 16, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 12:02 PM #119 of 146

NBC didn't poor millions of dollars into covering the Olympics just so you could watch it for free ALL the time.

As for my Phelps love, maybe I appreciate what he's doing more because I couldn't swim to save my life, which is kinda the point of swimming. I understand the mechanics of swimming, but my buoyancy is sadly low.

Most amazing jew boots

Lousy
a lousy male pianophile

Member 22593

Level 28.91

May 2007

Old Aug 16, 2008, 03:15 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2008, 09:15 PM 1 2 #120 of 146
The Phelps media-rimjob's made me realise how much of a no-show our men's team is this Games. Who have we got? Sullivan? He's good at one thing. Hackett gives a toss about nothing but the 1500 gold, and I wouldn't put it past him to announce retirement right on getting out of the water. The rest of them are our B-team at any other Olympics, frankly.

The women, on the other hand...
Phelps is said to be the best and most complete swimmer ever. True, very true on short 'racing' distances (< 400m). I dont know anything about his racing performance on long distances (> 1500m). I really marvel at Hackett's mastery - for me personally he's the greatest pool swimmer (I *love* pool swimming! 3.0-5.0km per workout session) on the Olympic tournament.
For 'each' of the 100m's (15 x 100m = 1500m) he needs less than 1min. So crazy.

I can swim 3.0km's without a break in a steady tempo in 45-50mins (sorry for bragging *g*), thinking of myself that i am quick (since i outswim *any* other in that same pool during that long time)...but Hackett...done in < 30mins., for him not a problem at all. He's my personal swimming hero and idol. Not da Phelps.

Swimming superfast on short distances is not an art.
Swimming superfast in a young fresh body is no art, either. (Usain Bolt is 21!!)
Yet, swimming superfast on long distances (>1.5km) is a piece of art, the supreme! And here, nobody could ever beat Hackett. A guy for eternity.

[...]

Ah, btw, does NE1 know details on the (average) daily swimming pensum of the U.S. or Australian boys, e.g. Phelps? I heard that some of them train 15km's every single day.

Crazeeeeeeeeee...

Hackett lost, and he was far from his own world record! (Bye Hackett, farewell, time to retire.)

i am severely disappointed, lost a hero, and am now looking for a new idol. And found one: Not Phelps, not Hackett, but

Rebecca Soni

Last edited by Lousy; Aug 17, 2008 at 06:10 AM.
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 03:57 PM 1 2 #121 of 146
Phelps is said to be the best and most complete swimmer ever. True, very true on short 'racing' distances (< 400m). I dont know anything about his racing performance on long distances (> 1500m). I really marvel at Hackett's mastery - for me personally he's the greatest pool swimmer (I *love* pool swimming! 3.0-5.0km per workout session) on the Olympic tournament.
For 'each' of the 100m's (15 x 100m = 1500m) he needs less than 1min. So crazy.

I can swim 3.0km's without a break in a steady tempo in 45-50mins (sorry for bragging *g*), thinking of myself that i am quick (since i outswim *any* other in that same pool during that long time)...but Hackett...done in < 30mins., for him not a problem at all. He's my personal swimming hero and idol. Not da Phelps.

Swimming superfast on short distances is not an art.
Swimming superfast in a young fresh body is no art, either. (Usain Bolt is 21!!)
Yet, swimming superfast on long distances (>1.5km) is a piece of art, the supreme! And here, nobody could ever beat Hackett. A guy for eternity.

[...]

Ah, btw, does NE1 know details on the (average) daily swimming pensum of the U.S. or Australian boys, e.g. Phelps? I heard that some of them train 15km's every single day.

Come again?

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:12 PM #122 of 146
Eight for eight. Thread over.

Most amazing jew boots

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:20 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2008, 01:20 PM #123 of 146
Bah, oh well. The Aussies did ok. Our butterflier (who I've never heard of) stayed with Phelps for a good while. Well done, team!

And well done to the Australian women swimmers! They won their medley relay in a pretty awesome race. Shame Grant Hackett lost, but Tunisia got the gold so no biggie~

Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Aug 17, 2008, 03:29 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2008, 01:29 AM #124 of 146
Man, I adore our top swimmers. Phelps sucks at giving interviews, but he's such just such a happy guy you can't help but feel good anyway. It's a shame Coughlin and Torres couldn't grab gold in the final relay, but they're such great sportsmans. I especially like how Torres keeps chatting it up with the opponents (who are all like half her age) both pre- and post-race. What was it she said? "In the pool we're opponents but outside the pool we're all friends." Great stuff.

Bolt in the 100m was insane. Never seen anyone run a world record time so easily. I wonder what he'll be like in 2012 if he has someone who can push him hard.

Also caught the end of the women's marathon. Completely staggering how they can maintain that kind of pace for two hours, but it must be a positively awesome experience to enter the stadium on the final stretch.

Really despising NBC's broadcast delay and constant commercial breaks. I stay up past midnight quite often, but sometimes I just want to catch the most anticipated events a bit earlier, thanks. Also getting really tired of seeing the Exxon Mobil commericals, though I'm totally impressed by the United Airlines ones every time.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2008, 06:22 AM #125 of 146

Bolt in the 100m was insane. Never seen anyone run a world record time so easily. I wonder what he'll be like in 2012 if he has someone who can push him hard.
[11:04] <+Casein> Jamaican Usain Bolt has won the Men's 100m Final at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games in a world record time of 9.69 seconds. Silver medalist Richard Thompson of Trinidad and Tobago ran a time of 9.89 seconds, leaving American Walter Dix at 9.91 seconds to take the bronze.
[11:04] <+zip> he ran like he saw some food
[11:05] <+zip> it's the new shoes
[11:05] <+Ultima> he ran like the cops were on his ass
[11:05] <+Tails|Away> he ran like he saw some cops

Were the any cops present at the event? I wasn't watching.

Also Phelps eight for eight AMERICA FUCK YEAH

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Tails; Aug 17, 2008 at 06:25 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Tournament] 2008 Olympic Games discussion thread