Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Better to Rent or Buy a Video Game?
Rent 7 22.58%
Buy 24 77.42%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

[General Discussion] Better to Rent or Buy?

Son of Wiseness
Chocobo

Member 367

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:17 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 05:17 AM #1 of 26
Better to Rent or Buy?

In your own opinon is it better to rent or buy a video game? To me it's better to buy a video game, but I rent it to see if I like the video game, and if I do I like the video game I usually end up buying the game.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Son of Wiseness; Mar 5, 2006 at 06:19 AM.
TRZD
i'm rappity rappin'

Member 391

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:35 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:35 PM #2 of 26
I think buying is much easier. If you rent, then you basically have 3 days to try to complete it or you'll have to pay again (either another rental fee, or actually buy the game which you could have done in the first place anyway). I prefer to wait a few months before buying a new game though because that usually gives the price enough time to drop. I'm not so into games that I have to be there queuing outside at midnight of a new release, so buying is just easier for me.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Son of Wiseness
Chocobo

Member 367

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:45 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 05:45 AM #3 of 26
Actually, (since the Blockbuster by my house closed, they opened up a Hollywood Video.) Hollywood Video let's you rent a game for a week.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:51 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:21 PM #4 of 26
I think it's useful to rent games you're not entirely sure about before buying them, but it's not better. If it was better to rent games, who would even own games? No-one.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FOXDIE
Carob Nut

Member 1746

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 08:18 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 07:18 AM #5 of 26
It depends. There are some games that you just need to buy like: Zelda, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, all the games from Treasure, all the 2D Castlevania and so on. There are others that need to be tested before buying them. If your friends are still interested in videogames, then you can simply borrow the game from them. If the game you want is not available at your local friend community and still you need to test it, then you rent it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:03 AM #6 of 26
I usually rely on reviews to tell me if a game is worth buying or not, so I don't have to waste money on renting. Yes, all reviews are somewhat biased in one way or another, but if the majority of reviews says a game sucks or is the greatest thing ever, chances are I'll agree.

If I do get stuck with a game that I don't like, I've found that most of the time I can stick it on Ebay within the first few weeks of its release and make most if not all of my money back.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
ComCrimson
MYV

Member 115

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:40 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 05:40 PM #7 of 26
Buying a game makes life alot easier. I've never rented out a game nor seen the appeal in it. I wouldn't even rent something short like an FPS or a fighting game. I'd just wait for it to come out cheao or something until i buy it.

FELIPE NO

Cheers B4!
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:42 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:42 AM #8 of 26
I rent (onrine holla~). Buying is reserved only for truly rare-birds or games that are just godsends (ie: MGS3:Subsistence, Shadow of the Colossus, maybe Resident Evil 4 someday).

Buying a game is a thumbs-up from me to the creators. I rent everything pract near, unless I know it'll kick ass.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:28 PM #9 of 26
Buy. You can first check out several reviews online, or something, and base it on your own judgement. Plus, Renting usually doesn't give you enough time to play the majority of the game..

wishfire
#27E3FF

Member 996

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:38 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:38 AM #10 of 26
I normally just buy my games, unless for some reason I'm unsure about one, then I'll give it a rent first. But now that I'm thinking of it, I haven't rented a game in ages because I normally can just borrow the game from someone.

Rocca
is Finding Forever.

Member 609

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:57 PM #11 of 26
Even under the circumstances of a very short game, I tend to buy my games anyway. I love opening a game for just 10 minutes to get a feel of it again. There are very very few games that I've wanted to try yet not own at the same time. I think if I don't have a certain level of interest or curiosity, I just don't bother playing it at all (i.e. when Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter came out). A lot of games fall in between both criterias of rent or buy for me, so I just end up buying them.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:19 PM #12 of 26
Buying the game is so great. If I'm comtemplating buying a game, I'll either go out and buy it (especially if it's a sequel) or wait until I see some reviews for it. With the latter, I can determine if I'm going to end up liking the game or not. It doesn't matter if it's short. If I like the game, I'll buy it... assuming I have the money.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Acro-nym; Mar 5, 2006 at 02:30 PM.
JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:23 PM #13 of 26
I hate renting games. I like playing a game for a long time, trying to beat it or whatnot. It's annoying to get halfway through a game and then having to return it. Sure, you could just rent it again, but if you're going to keep renewing your rental, you are better off just buying the game.

Rocca
is Finding Forever.

Member 609

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:30 PM #14 of 26
The lingering money issue is also in question. Not all gamer's work part time or even in some cases like mine, already have a career. So I suppose the amount you buy or rent, play once or several times through is primarily a matter of whether or not you have the opportunity to buy more games. Of course then there are those who merely buy games to bulk their collection, but I think the joy of having a collection is to witness a huge horde of games where each one was handpicked and very much worth the purchase.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:27 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 03:27 PM #15 of 26
Renting games is a good idea you are hesitant how the game might turn out, probably within the past 2 years I've only purchased a total of 5 games if not then less. The rest were clearly rentals and I have to say thank goodness for my local blockbuster for the amount of money they've saved me.

FELIPE NO
Spyer
Yeeeaaaa.

Member 548

Level 18.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:30 PM #16 of 26
Haha, to me, it depends on whether or not you have a modchip. If you do have a modchip, you rent the game, copy it to your hard-drive, and just burn it from your computer. $5 dollars well spent (Chronicles of Riddick was so damn hard to find). But, if you don't have a mod-chip, I would say just rent the game and if you like it, buy it. If it actually is THAT good, then its worth the $30 in the bargain bin.

Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:05 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:05 PM #17 of 26
I usually rent games purely on the fact that I'm usually not around long enough to really sit down and play a game through extensively sometimes. I'm on my way to getting a mod-chip for future money-saving on games.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:32 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:32 PM #18 of 26
When I purchase a game, I know it's one that I'd want to keep and play more than once. I remember when Resident Evil first came out for the PSX, I rented it and finished the entire game within the rental period. I still ended up getting the game for myself later on.

I'd say renting is useful if there's a game you may be curious about and wouldn't want to pay full price for.

xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:42 PM #19 of 26
I would rent to see if I like it instead of paying full price for a game that I might end up losing interest in. It's either that or I get it pre-owned.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:30 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:30 PM #20 of 26
For me, it works both ways. Since a lot of games interest me that much, I usually rent them. Figuring they're really what I like, I end up buying them.

Which works for me, since I spent shitloads of cash on games that have little or no replay value at all or basically sucks even for its shelf price.

Most amazing jew boots
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:01 PM #21 of 26
Originally Posted by Terminus
For me, it works both ways. Since a lot of games interest me that much, I usually rent them. Figuring they're really what I like, I end up buying them.

Which works for me, since I spent shitloads of cash on games that have little or no replay value at all or basically sucks even for its shelf price.
I'm the same way though usually if I've been waiting and anticipating a game for awhile, IE Metal Gear Solid 3, then I'll drop the change for a new copy without question.

If it's a game that's been off my radar and then piques my interest I'll give it a rent and if it's any good I'll purchase it but I'll try and be the first to rent a title given how others seem to treat them like shit and then when it comes to rent them they're so scratched to hell that it affects the game or doesn't work.

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 09:24 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 07:24 PM #22 of 26
I buy, renting's only good when I can't afford a new game, or when I'm unsure on the quality. I rarely play a game enough to finish it in one rental.

Most amazing jew boots
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 09:27 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 07:27 PM #23 of 26
I see the usefulness in renting, but I never do. I've always bought my games. I haven't rented since a BoogerMan and Earthworm Jim rental for Sega Genesis years ago. I'm also excluding a redoctane.com trial period I used to copy some old PSX games.

FELIPE NO
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 09:52 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 07:52 PM #24 of 26
Originally Posted by nazpyro
I see the usefulness in renting, but I never do. I've always bought my games. I haven't rented since a BoogerMan and Earthworm Jim rental for Sega Genesis years ago. I'm also excluding a redoctane.com trial period I used to copy some old PSX games.
I remember renting battery-backed Genesis games. Some had some great saves I decided to joy ride with!

Overkill
Syklis Green

Member 1892

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 09:56 PM #25 of 26
In the long run, it's better to buy a game. However, if you know you're capable of beating a game within the rental period and have no intention of purchasing the actual product, it's better to rent. I often rent, only because I have such limited money, so any game purchase needs to be something worthwhile, and I get to sample a variety of games without having to commit to playing them through necessarily.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Better to Rent or Buy?