Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] World of Warcraft

Sonus
All hail the Campbell.

Member 24292

Level 3.83

Sep 2007

Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:17 PM #1 of 1941
I hate to admit that I got hooked on this game also, but I have.
Anyone on Lightning's(Lightnings?) Blade - USA?

Alliance - 70 Warlock Cilicantipio (I didn't make up the name. Blizzard did for me.)

Working on a restoration shaman also, sort of.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sonus
All hail the Campbell.

Member 24292

Level 3.83

Sep 2007

Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:37 PM #2 of 1941
My suggestion is to not switch to any server on the Vindication Battle Group. Alliance is horrible in that group.

Take a look at the other Battle Groups here and visit the realm specific forums. So you can get an idea as to which faction is saying they're doing horrible or well.

I am on Lightning's Blade which is part of the Vindication group. And I can definitely vouch that Alliance is getting pimp slapped by Horde everyday. That's just for pug BG groups, though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sonus
All hail the Campbell.

Member 24292

Level 3.83

Sep 2007

Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:57 PM #3 of 1941
The new leveling system doesn't seem to have much of an impact on Lv1 characters. I played my Lv1 druid last night and spent about 40mins to an hour getting to level 6. It's about the same rate as before the update.

So, now I wonder at what level range does the new system seem to have an effect.

Edit: Disappointingly, I had this druid sit in Dolanar for months at the inn. Result: rested experience built up only to 1/6 of the next level. I had expected the rested experience to have built up to a more lengthier amount.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Sonus; Nov 26, 2007 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Additional notes.
Sonus
All hail the Campbell.

Member 24292

Level 3.83

Sep 2007

Old Dec 1, 2007, 06:29 AM #4 of 1941
I have a 30 BE Rogue on Duskwood and I too can't seem to get used to playing Horde. Either I can't play rogue class for life or I'm just under-geared. In BGs, my Rogue is either doing patty-cake attacks or stealthing around and being useless, waiting for that one good chance to use Ambush.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sonus
All hail the Campbell.

Member 24292

Level 3.83

Sep 2007

Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:56 AM #5 of 1941
Does anyone else notice that Bonus Spell Damage does not work on some spells/abilities?

I mainly play a Warlock and Death Coil never inflicts more damage than its tooltip says. If it says it'll heal me for 475 health while hurting the target for 475 damage, then that's exactly what it does while ignoring my Bonus Spell Damage.

I've searched the worldofwarcraft.com site and looked at the previous patch updates. Not a single one lists a change that introduces these sort of "hinderances" to my Warlock spells. I also suspect that there are other oddities with other caster classes, especially healing ones like Paladin and Priest.

Also, there's a section that explains how Bonus Spell Damage is supposed to work. And it's dependent on the spell's rank, when the spell/rank is first available to be learned, and the character's current level.
-This is the formula they use: [(spell level)+6]/(player level)
--Spell level = when the spell is available to learn, but at it's full potential level. Example: a level 22 spell can reach it's full potential at level 27. Meaning, as the character levels up to 27 from 22, the spell's tooltip should update with each level up with a new amount. This is all done on whatever rank the spell is. Same thing will occur on the next rank.
-- +6 = the "slack" the game's system provides until any penalty to Bonus Spell Damage is introduced.
--Player level is the player's current level.

Now, using the formula provided by Blizzard:
-A level 22 spell reaches it's limit at 27. So it'll cease to do more damage or healing beyond 27 until the next rank is learned.
-So, let us assume the player's current level is 34. [(27)+6]/(34) = 0.970588235 * 100 = 97.0588235%.
-This means at level 34, the player's bonus spell damage will only provide ~97% bonus.

Going back to Death Coil, the highest rank (being rank 4) is learned at 68. Even though there's only a two level difference from 70, there should be a full Bonus Spell Damage effect regardless of the game's 6 level slack.

So, either this is a flaw with the game's Bonus Spell Damage mechanics or Death Coil isn't magic damage. Yet, it can still be resisted completely by a rogue's Cloak of Shadows, indicating that it is magic damage. And there's the possibility that Death Coil is an entirely different school of magic by itself, apart from the currently known ones. But that doesn't stop it from being affected by silencing abilities along with every other shadow based spell.

What do you guys think? Am I right? Do you experience similar oddities? Am I just spouting nonsense? Or am I missing the bigger picture here?

I suppose after fifteen patch updates it would mean that Blizzard must know in depth about what's going on with Death Coil (and other spells). And that would mean they're purposely leaving the mechanics in this current working order.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sonus
All hail the Campbell.

Member 24292

Level 3.83

Sep 2007

Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:40 PM #6 of 1941
Ahh, I see now what you two mean. That does make much more sense than I had figured it to.

Looks like I need to figure out how else Death Coil wasn't benefiting from my Bonus Spell Damage.

Although, after my previous post, I asked a Warlock buddy to Death Coil a few mobs. He claims to have pumped out numbers indicating that he did infact cause damage/healing with a little extra. Now this doesn't make any sense to me anymore as to how or why my casts don't work like this.

So, I gave it a whirl and did two casts on a Ironspine Petrifier outside Shattrah. Now I see the bonus damage effect being applied. I wish I had a screenshot of when I noticed mobs taking only the normal indicated damage.

I'm not sure anymore as to what happened from then to now regarding me and Death Coil. But I do apologize for making a ruckus about this. I wish I had more free time to study the problem, but it's final's week. Case closed.

Most amazing jew boots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CombatLog.jpg (91.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg BonusSpellDamage.jpg (104.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DeathCoilTooltip.jpg (24.2 KB, 7 views)
Sonus
All hail the Campbell.

Member 24292

Level 3.83

Sep 2007

Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:36 PM #7 of 1941
Has Blizzard updated their talent calculators to match the new talent tree layouts? I can't check now since their site is down for the moment, but it would help to know if anyone else had noticed a calculator update beforehand.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] World of Warcraft